Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Farscape: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$52.99
Justified: The Complete Final Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
John Wick (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Entourage: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$94.99
Malcolm X (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Wolverine 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Autómata (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Bram Stoker's Dracula / Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Batman Unlimited: Animal Instincts w/ Blu-ray Exclusive Figure (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Three Musketeers 3D (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Attenborough's Life Stories (Blu-ray)
$4.96
Gattaca (Blu-ray)
$4.96
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-24-2015, 01:02 PM   #1441
Suspended

Feb 2015
Dallas, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
I think the studios are going to be very cautious with UBD and test the waters a lot before diving in. Star Trek could be a good test though. Release it six months after the format launches and see what it sells. If it's disappointing then probably everything else would be too.

Hopefully UBD and BD combo packs are the norm. I know I won't have a 4k TV for a long time and thus won't be in a rush to get a first-gen UBD player.
I hope the UHD Blu-rays are sold the same way 3D are sold, as an add-on for an additional $10 or so.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (03-24-2015), WorkShed (03-24-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 01:14 PM   #1442
Suspended

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Are they running at 50Hz? For some reason this is one series where the speed-up doesn't bother me at all, I think it's because I'm so used to watching the films and TV show that way.
Yes indeed, and they look just fine as is, but I wanted to try and sync other audio to them
Old 03-24-2015, 02:12 PM   #1443

Sep 2014
They're gonna give daddy the Rain Man suite, do ya dig that? Vegas, Baby! Vegas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike View Post
Yes indeed, and they look just fine as is, but I wanted to try and sync other audio to them
So to be clear, the ones you described as "perfection" have PAL speed-up?

Everyone (not to mention the scores) sounding sped-up is a major deal-breaker for me. It just sounds terrible and wrong.

Luckily, I only paid $10 for my six-movie set (thanks, pricing error on Target's site!) so I can put up with what they've given us for now.
Thanks given by:
PeterTHX (03-24-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 03:07 PM   #1444
Suspended

Feb 2015
Dallas, TX

wait, so what's wrong with these movies?

I have this set, and I think they're great. I just watched #1 last night.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:36 PM   #1445
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009
Sunrise, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
4K scans weren't really super-common in 2009, when the set of original movies was first released to blu. At least having all 6 or 10 movies get 4K was probably not feasible at that time. It's always a shame when they don't even do it properly in 2K though.
Except they DID scan Star Trek II at 4K in 2009.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:46 PM   #1446

Sep 2014
They're gonna give daddy the Rain Man suite, do ya dig that? Vegas, Baby! Vegas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolty View Post
Except they DID scan Star Trek II at 4K in 2009.
It was the only one to receive an actual restoration, iirc.
Thanks given by:
Bolty (03-26-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 04:17 PM   #1447
Special Member

Aug 2013

I can't stand the TMP Blu-ray with how smoothed over/grain-less it looks to me. I'm spoiled by the admittedly dated as hell but abundant in grain and infinitely more filmlike Vudu HDX version (my recent indulgence has been to run the first 20min or so of this on the projector synced with the 1991 laserdisc for audio).

I just know some day Vudu is going to update those filmlike presentations with smoothed over nonsense but until then imo there's no better way to watch these films (with the exception of Khan, where the Blu-ray is hands down better in every way). It would be a dream come true to have these masters presented in the best quality possible on disc along with strong lossless audio.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:44 PM   #1448
Suspended

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhySoBlu? View Post
So to be clear, the ones you described as "perfection" have PAL speed-up?

Everyone (not to mention the scores) sounding sped-up is a major deal-breaker for me. It just sounds terrible and wrong.

Luckily, I only paid $10 for my six-movie set (thanks, pricing error on Target's site!) so I can put up with what they've given us for now.

LOL no, not everything at a different frame rate has speed up or non corrected audio, plus 10 mins of messing about when I get time they will be 24p again and have the LD audio, and describing it as perfection? or putting a gif to illustrate their superior picture quality in a humorous sense? Don't take the internet so literally

10 is more than I would pay for that garbage set but you are welcome to it
Old 03-24-2015, 05:46 PM   #1449
Suspended

Feb 2015
Dallas, TX

Quote:
LOL no, not everything at a different frame rate has speed up or non corrected audio, plus 10 mins of messing about when I get time they will be 24p again and have the LD audio

i ask again, what is wrong with this set?
Old 03-24-2015, 06:20 PM   #1450

Sep 2014

Quote:
LOL no, not everything at a different frame rate has speed up or non corrected audio, plus 10 mins of messing about when I get time they will be 24p again and have the LD audio, and describing it as perfection? or putting a gif to illustrate their superior picture quality in a humorous sense? Don't take the internet so literally
So there is no PAL speed-up whatsoever on the versions of these films from Sky? The audio sounds exactly as it would if they were presented in the proper frame rate?

I'm not speaking in generalities here, I'm talking specifically about the versions you described as "perfection," a position you've since backed away from citing claims of attempted humor.

Quote:
Old 03-24-2015, 06:26 PM   #1451
Suspended

Jun 2010

Edit
Old 03-24-2015, 06:28 PM   #1452
Suspended

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre08 View Post
i ask again, what is wrong with this set?
Too much DNR, does not include both cuts
Old 03-24-2015, 06:32 PM   #1453
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009
Watsonville, California

Quote:
Too much DNR, does not include both cuts
They all need 4K remasters, seamless branching with both or all cuts for the various versions of certain films, AVC, DTS-HD MA 2.0 or whichever audio was used cinematically as lossless. The extra features are fine.
For The Motion Picture all they'd have to do is grab all the Director's Edition stuff and re-render at 4K.
Importer supporter. & Multi-Region Capable! "If you're not region free, you should be." - Nocturnaloner
The Other Stuff +133 BD's
Film grain and original cinematic audio advocate.
Gimme Blu-ray disc ONLY!
Old 03-24-2015, 06:36 PM   #1454
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2011
Angel Grove, NY

Star Trek and Star Wars, if put out on 4k at certain intervals, will sell the 4k market TVs and Players.

Star Wars not being on BD until late 2011 hurt the format.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:34 PM   #1455
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Rogers View Post
For The Motion Picture all they'd have to do is grab all the Director's Edition stuff and re-render at 4K.
Not gonna happen.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:03 AM   #1456

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidglov3s View Post
I can't stand the TMP Blu-ray with how smoothed over/grain-less it looks to me. I'm spoiled by the admittedly dated as hell but abundant in grain and infinitely more filmlike Vudu HDX version (my recent indulgence has been to run the first 20min or so of this on the projector synced with the 1991 laserdisc for audio).

I just know some day Vudu is going to update those filmlike presentations with smoothed over nonsense but until then imo there's no better way to watch these films (with the exception of Khan, where the Blu-ray is hands down better in every way). It would be a dream come true to have these masters presented in the best quality possible on disc along with strong lossless audio.
The blue push on TWOK annoys me a bit, especially in the iconic first shot of Kirk, which it turns into a smeary blue mess, instead of the more natural-looking silhouette it was before. Other than that, the movie looks pretty good.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America