Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Willow (Blu-ray)
$10.01
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Ghost in the Shell (Blu-ray)
$18.99
The Gershwins' Porgy & Bess (Blu-ray)
$29.89
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Warrior (Blu-ray)
$5.00
The Addams Family (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Majestic Prince: Collection 2 (Blu-ray)
$36.99
Black Butler: Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$22.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 07-01-2013, 02:48 PM   #161
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-ray_girl_fan View Post
Kangaroo meat isn't commonly eaten here, our grocery stores over the last few years have started to stock it, but only in very small quantities. I've only ever had it 4 or 5 times, it's beautiful when cooked well, so if you're a sh*t cook then you wouldn't bother. I remember a few years ago I took some Kangaroo streaks to a BBQ at my old mans place and he straight out refused to cook it, he didn't want it anywhere near all the other meat.

Perhaps you should try a Pavlova, a famous Australian dessert

Setup:
Panasonic th-p65vt60a tv, Sony str-da5300es avp/pre-amp, Emotiva xpa-2 & xpa-5 amps, Dali Concept: 10 (fronts) 2 (rears x4) & centre speakers, 2x SVS pb13-ultra subwoofers, Oppo bdp-105 Blu-ray player/DAC (region free), Onkyo c-s5vl sacd player, Panasonic dmr-bwt835 1tb hdd/Blu-ray recorder, Xbox One & 360 250gb s, Sony PS4 & PS3 60gb, Cyron lighting & htw1000 controller, Samsung s2 1tb hdd, SurgeX sx1210rli surge protector/power conditioner x3, Logitech Harmony 1100i remote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #162
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009

Quote:
Perhaps you should try a Pavlova, a famous Australian dessert

Or New Zealand? Now there's an argument that makes which version of The Fifth Element look pretty tame
"There's nothing wrong with Britain that impaling the Prime Minister wouldn't cure"
Old 07-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #163
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRats View Post
Or New Zealand? Now there's an argument that makes which version of The Fifth Element look pretty tame
Currently the earliest known facts suggest that it did actually originate in New Zealand, though it doesn't really bother me either way, since I was born in New Zealand, my family migrated to Australia when I was 6. However I do consider myself as Australian.
Setup:
Panasonic th-p65vt60a tv, Sony str-da5300es avp/pre-amp, Emotiva xpa-2 & xpa-5 amps, Dali Concept: 10 (fronts) 2 (rears x4) & centre speakers, 2x SVS pb13-ultra subwoofers, Oppo bdp-105 Blu-ray player/DAC (region free), Onkyo c-s5vl sacd player, Panasonic dmr-bwt835 1tb hdd/Blu-ray recorder, Xbox One & 360 250gb s, Sony PS4 & PS3 60gb, Cyron lighting & htw1000 controller, Samsung s2 1tb hdd, SurgeX sx1210rli surge protector/power conditioner x3, Logitech Harmony 1100i remote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:46 PM   #164
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009
Florida Steelbooks:>>>>>> 34 Digibooks: >>>>>> 6

Hmm not sure, i would say the latest release from sony that features the remastered copy
( The Last Samurai ) There is life in every breath... That is, Bushido
Old 05-17-2014, 03:57 AM   #165
Special Member

Nov 2008
In the Home Theater

I am curious if the soundtrack encodings on the non US versions of this film on BD contain the clipping and distortion that is present in both lossless encodings on the US disc. It is only during the most intense spl moments, but I find it very distracting.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:47 AM   #166
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett C View Post
I am curious if the soundtrack encodings on the non US versions of this film on BD contain the clipping and distortion that is present in both lossless encodings on the US disc. It is only during the most intense spl moments, but I find it very distracting.
I also found this. It is most apparent in the shoot out sequence in the hotel lobby, with the bar and pool table.

It may just be down to the original mix, but it would be interesting to know if this is the case with all the releases.

With regards to the PQ, yes the US remastered release has been sharpened, but I cannot get myself to buy the JP release, from the caps it looks slightly to soft to me and the blown out highlights bother me. I would normally jump at the chance to own a title without EE/DNR. If only there was a release in between.

People, please feel free to argue with me, it may change my mind.

Last edited by Tech-UK; 05-17-2014 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:28 PM   #167
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2010
UK

The UK Gaumont steelbook is fine by me - I think the over the top contrast and colour suit the film perfectly and I picked up the very nice steel for 8 so Im happy!
Leo needs new shoes...
Old 05-17-2014, 01:14 PM   #168

Dec 2010
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech-UK View Post
I also found this. It is most apparent in the shoot out sequence in the hotel lobby, with the bar and pool table.

It may just be down to the original mix, but it would be interesting to know if this is the case with all the releases.

With regards to the PQ, yes the US remastered release has been sharpened, but I cannot get myself to buy the JP release, from the caps it looks slightly to soft to me and the blown out highlights bother me. I would normally jump at the chance to own a title without EE/DNR. If only there was a release in between.

People, please feel free to argue with me, it may change my mind.
I have a small obsession with The Fifth Element. As a result, I have bought every international and U.S. release, and here is my opinion:

JP - AVC 34999 kbps, DTS-HD MA 5.1 2352 16-bit, Gaumont transfer, no eng subs (Region A)

[Release Date: 2013-04-19
Publisher Product Code: ACXF-90864

ASIN: B00B8IOUOK
AN: 4988126428648]

^^ Best PQ of all. This is reference quality - seriously, no joke - especially after you get past the first 10 - 15 minutes. Forget about the screen caps. This blu-ray simply looks amazing.

FR - AVC 19689 kbps, DTS-HD HR 5.1 3018 kbps 24-bit, Gaumont transfer, no eng subs (Region free).

This one has noticeably superior audio quality compared to the others, but there's still a bit of distortion during some scenes (explosions, etc.)
Old 05-18-2014, 02:28 PM   #169
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
UK

Could you explain why the audio is 'better' on the French release, even though its a lossy track.

Don't assume louder is better.

And are you watching the film on a calibrated display?

To me the Gaumont transfer is slightly too soft, (DNR'ed perhaps), is pushing yellow and features to high a contrast, although granted, the Sony release is slightly too sharp.

Last edited by Tech-UK; 05-18-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:49 PM   #170

Dec 2010
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech-UK View Post
Could you explain why the audio is 'better' on the French release, even though its a lossy track.

Don't assume louder is better.

And are you watching the film on a calibrated display?

To me the Gaumont transfer is slightly too soft, (DNR'ed perhaps), is pushing yellow and features to high a contrast, although granted, the Sony release is slightly too sharp.
The Gaumont transfer looks soft on the European releases (FR, UK, Nordic), but it's nearly flawless and beautiful on the Japanese blu-ray. The intro with the starfield and asteroid belt doesn't look great, but I think that's the film itself. Once past the first 10 minutes, this blu-ray just pops off the screen. To be clear, there are two JP releases with the Gaumount transfer. I'm referring to the one with the higher bitrate (that's why I provided the product code and ASIN).

FR - AVC 19689 kbps, DTS-HD HR 5.1 3018 kbps 24-bit, Gaumont transfer, no eng subs (Region free)

^^This disc (taken from the List of International BDs with Better PQ, AQ, and/or More Extras thread) sounds better to me. The dialogue is more distinct and clear, even when the volume is turned down. Just my two cents.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:28 PM   #171
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by posthaste View Post
The Gaumont transfer looks soft on the European releases (FR, UK, Nordic), but it's nearly flawless and beautiful on the Japanese blu-ray.
If anything, the caps-a-holic shots, make the UK look marginally sharper than the JP disc. And I do mean marginally.
http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergl...ss=1#vergleich
Old 06-21-2014, 12:04 PM   #172
Special Member

May 2011
Boulder City, Nevada

Loved this movie since i was 15 when i saw it 5 times in theaters and who thinks the film has never looked better than ever on BD with a nearly flawless transfer?
Old 06-21-2014, 12:35 PM   #173

Dec 2010
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenOfEarth View Post
Loved this movie since i was 15 when i saw it 5 times in theaters and who thinks the film has never looked better than ever on BD with a nearly flawless transfer?
I saw it 3 times in the theater so you've got me beat. I surrender. Not sure if you're asking a rhetorical question here...

P.S. The Japanese Gaumont is the best presentation.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:27 PM   #174
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
Athens, Greece

Quote:
I saw it 3 times in the theater so you've got me beat. I surrender. Not sure if you're asking a rhetorical question here...

P.S. The Japanese Gaumont is the best presentation.
I wouldn't agree.

See here how the stars are "lost" in the Japanese release:
http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergl...ess=#vergleich
Most wanted Blurays: All classic Disney animation films restored to their original look (with grain), without any re-imagining, Raintree County, Star Wars OT, Sissi Trilogy, Spacecamp, Spacehunter: adventures in the forbidden zone, Maurice, Explorers, Mayerling, Supergirl, Free Willy, Return to Oz, True Lies, Abyss, King Solomon's Mines/Allan Quatermain and the lost city of gold, Death in Venice, Wilde, Ulysses 31, Ducktales, Candy Candy (anime series)
Old 06-21-2014, 04:12 PM   #175

Dec 2010
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmmusic View Post
I wouldn't agree.

See here how the stars are "lost" in the Japanese release:
Oh brother, here we go with the screen shots again.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=179724

Fifth Element, The
US (re-release) - AVC 27880 kbps, Dolby TrueHD 5.1 3185 kbps 24-bit/LPCM 4608 kbps 16-bit, fewer extras (Region free)
UK - AVC 27999 kbps 24fps, DTS-HD MA 5.1 4422 kbps 24-bit, extras, Gaumont transfer (Region B)
JP - AVC 34999 kbps, DTS-HD MA 5.1 2352 16-bit, Gaumont transfer, no eng subs (Region A)
JP - AVC 27999 kbps, Dolby TrueHD 5.1 3898 kbps 24-bit, Gaumont transfer, no eng subs (Region A)
DE - VC-1 22473 kbps, DTS-HD HR 6.1 4608 kbps 16-bit, more extras, (Region free)
FR - AVC 19689 kbps, DTS-HD HR 5.1 3018 kbps 24-bit, Gaumont transfer, no eng subs (Region free)
Nordic - AVC 28990 kbps, DTS-HD MA 5.1 2430 kbps 16-bit, Gaumont transfer, no eng subs (Region B)

This being my favorite money, I blew a wad of cash and literally purchased every single one of the blu-rays listed above. Screenshots aren't definitive; the discs are. And to my mind this is the best presentation of them all:

There are two Japanese blu-rays and I don't know which one your screencapture is referencing.

Finally, I have posted before that YES, the starfield appears to be more detailed in the U.S. Remaster as a result of sharpening. And you see that same thing in opening asteroid/space sequence. But once you get past the first 10 minutes, the Japanese Gaumont wipes the floor in terms of color, detail, and film-like quality. The U.S. remaster looks overly processed, video-y, and the colors aren't as vibrant as they looked in the theatrical film. But if you want starfield details, then by all means enjoy the U.S. BD.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:25 PM   #176
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
Athens, Greece

Ok, no need to be upset here. We're just discussing.
Although i like the colors better too in the Japanese release, I'm just saying that based on the screenshots (I don't see how a screenshot can be false, unless it's manipulated)* the Japanese release seems less detailed, blurry and DNRed.

*personally I have never seen a BLuray that looks different from the screenshots.
Most wanted Blurays: All classic Disney animation films restored to their original look (with grain), without any re-imagining, Raintree County, Star Wars OT, Sissi Trilogy, Spacecamp, Spacehunter: adventures in the forbidden zone, Maurice, Explorers, Mayerling, Supergirl, Free Willy, Return to Oz, True Lies, Abyss, King Solomon's Mines/Allan Quatermain and the lost city of gold, Death in Venice, Wilde, Ulysses 31, Ducktales, Candy Candy (anime series)

Last edited by filmmusic; 06-21-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:47 PM   #177

Dec 2010
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmmusic View Post
Ok, no need to be upset here. We're just discussing.
Although i like the colors better too in the Japanese release, I'm just saying that based on the screenshots (I don't see how a screenshot can be false, unless it's manipulated)* the Japanese release seems less detailed, blurry and DNRed.

*personally I have never seen a BLuray that looks different from the screenshots.
Just to be consistent, if you read back through this thread, I made a post stating that the first 10 - 15 minutes of the Japanese blu-ray didn't look particularly great. After that point, the image quality improves. I have no explanation for why.

Cherry picking screen captures can be misleading as the one you posted, taken from the first 10 - 15 minutes looks obviously better.

But to me this one later in the movie makes the Japanese BD look better.

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergl...ss=1#vergleich

Having seen The Fifth Element in the theater, the colors and brightness on the Japanese Gaumont look more accurate to my recollection. You may like the sharpening they did to increase the detail on the U.S. remaster (in addition to the gamma changes), but the film itself always had a bit of a blown out soft look with popping colors.

Last edited by posthaste; 08-23-2014 at 11:56 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:39 PM   #178

Apr 2010

Quote:
Oh brother, here we go with the screen shots again.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=179724

Fifth Element, The
US (re-release) - AVC 27880 kbps, Dolby TrueHD 5.1 3185 kbps 24-bit/LPCM 4608 kbps 16-bit, fewer extras (Region free)
UK - AVC 27999 kbps 24fps, DTS-HD MA 5.1 4422 kbps 24-bit, extras, Gaumont transfer (Region B)
JP - AVC 27999 kbps, Dolby TrueHD 5.1 3898 kbps 24-bit, Gaumont transfer, no eng subs (Region A)
DE - VC-1 22473 kbps, DTS-HD HR 6.1 4608 kbps 16-bit, more extras, (Region free)
Nordic - AVC 28990 kbps, DTS-HD MA 5.1 2430 kbps 16-bit, Gaumont transfer, no eng subs (Region B)

This being my favorite money, I blew a wad of cash and literally purchased every single one of the blu-rays listed above. Screenshots aren't definitive; the discs are. And to my mind this is the best presentation of them all:

There are two Japanese blu-rays and I don't know which one your screencapture is referencing.

Finally, I have posted before that YES, the starfield appears to be more detailed in the U.S. Remaster as a result of sharpening. And you see that same thing in opening asteroid/space sequence. But once you get past the first 10 minutes, the Japanese Gaumont wipes the floor in terms of color, detail, and film-like quality. The U.S. remaster looks overly processed, video-y, and the colors aren't as vibrant as they looked in the theatrical film. But if you want starfield details, then by all means enjoy the U.S. BD.
Logged in to say, this sounds crazy but it's absolutely true. It's like the opening and closing credits were from a different source. It goes from a blurry wobbly processed looking sort of a mess to something on the level of Gladiator remastered. You can see the change from one shot to another and it's not subtle. Right after the opening "Egypt" credit it's like someone flipped a switch and it's a whole different transfer. Excellent!
Old 08-23-2014, 11:55 PM   #179
Power Member

Oct 2013

+1 on japanese release
LOOKING FOR BACK TO THE FUTURE ORIGINAL RELEASE SLIPBOX (UK)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America