Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Spider-Man: Homecoming 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99

National Parks Adventure 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
16 hrs ago
Dream Big: Engineering Our World 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$10.95

Dolphin Tale 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Katy Perry: Part of Me 3D (Blu-ray)
$7.84

Monster House 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Great Gatsby 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.33

Ghost in the Shell 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.27

Finding Nemo 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.48

Wrath of the Titans 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.95

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies

Old 11-09-2012, 11:08 PM   #21
Special Member

Oct 2010
New England, USA

I'd been upset that (I assumed) Nolan exerted his influence to get Snyder to go 2D only, when Snyder is on record as a fan of the 3D format. I'm excited that it's back on.
Now running in 3D with the LG Cinema 3D (nominally showing 3D in 1080i per eye) 47LW6500 (up-or-down-or-side-graded from a 50" Sammy 3D Plasma) and a Benq W1080ST and a 130" screen.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:23 AM   #22
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by seregloth View Post
I'd been upset that (I assumed) Nolan exerted his influence to get Snyder to go 2D only, when Snyder is on record as a fan of the 3D format. I'm excited that it's back on.
I thought Snyder might also be against 3D like Nolan is, but glad Synder and G. Del Toro are both supporters of 3D with Man of Steel in 3D and Pacific Rim in 3D. And 2D. A choice is a must IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will21st View Post
They don't understand that the entire entertainment Industry is invested in this,to the tunes of BILLIONS!!!!
There's no way 3D is going away,this has to succeed,too much hinges on it.

All these are just my observations,but I'd say they're pretty accurate.
I hope so. I think once technology goes glasses free, it'll go mainstream in most homes within the next 10 years (where we hope Blu Ray and Blu Ray 3D is still the current format, HD looking as good as it does in 1920x1080).

The sometimes fickle big budget movie industry gravitates where the money is, and seeing how Avatar 3D raked in over a billion, along with Avengers 3D in 2nd place I'd guess by now, they're supporting 3D. It all boils down to people wanting to watch movies in 3D, and that all boils down to studios giving us strong 3D as seen in Hugo 3D, Silent Hill Revelation 3D, Resident Evil Retribution 3D, Avatar 3D, while offering hopefully much less of Paranorman's weaker 3D, Green Lantern 3D, and the infamous Clash of the Titans 3D as another example of 3D worth avoiding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
Especially since it's conversion--like, WARNER conversions, for example--that are taking most of the heat, and causing the public to think 3D = Crappy 3D Conversion.

We can't stop the studios, but we can help folks learn to tell the difference.
That's true, if the general public sees a poor representation of 3D each time they see a movie, they spread the word that 3D sucks, missing the strong 3D gems out there.

I think 3D depth scripts and 3D storytelling need to go, unless they're starting with "good 3D", and then amping it up to "strong 3D" for the "emotional/action scenes", rather than starting with nearly 2D, weak 3D, as with Paranorman 3D as a recent example (which also has some good 3D in there to be fair).

CGI is a big plus for 3D when it's rendered for a virtual camera rig, as I hope it's being done for the CGI imagery in Man of Steel. (as was done with Avengers 3D and John Carter 3D).
List of Strong 3D Movies on Blu Ray 3D / Most PSVR PS4 games with strong stereo 3D
Old 03-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #23
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
India
Warner Bros Man of Steel (2013) Blu-ray 3D [Region Free]

Man of Steel 3D Blu-ray

Man of Steel Limited Collector's Edition 3D Blu-ray

3D Trailer:
Runtime : 3:09 mins
Frame rate: 23.976 fps
Width x Height: 1920 x 1080
Display aspect ratio: 16:9
Overall bit rate: 36.7Mbps
File plays back in 2D and real 3D
Audio : DTS-HD MA 5.1

Right Click and save as :
http://videos.movie-list.com/vob/Rug...-HD_MA_5.1.iso

Download DVDFab's virtual drive and mount the ISO. Play using PowerDVD/TotalMedia Theatre. http://www.dvdfab.com/virtual_drive.htm
JVC DLA-x550 Projector | 140 Inch Matte White Screen | Polk 7.1.2 Atmos System: TSi 300, CS20, DSW500 sub, OWM5 rear heights| Marantz sr6011 receiver
OPPO UDP-203 | Sennheiser RS 175 Wireless Headphones
LG 55inch Passive 3D TV | Sony HTiB 5.1 | Apple TV 3 | Apple Airport Express |
Philips Hue mood lighting

Last edited by Scottie; 09-01-2017 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:19 PM   #24
Expert Member

Oct 2011
North Las Vegas

There was nothing about the 3D in the trailer that looked awesome but the movie looks like its going to be great. Really looking forward to it.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #25
Special Member

Aug 2011

I've heard "rumors" that the 3D in the actual film looks much better than the trailer.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:51 PM   #26

Dec 2011
Vienna, VA

I m looking forward to this movie itself. Hope 3D will be good but I really want this movie to do well so we can get more and possibly JLA.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:36 PM   #27

Aug 2012
Chattanooga, TN

Being the HUGE Superman fan that I am, this is my most anticipated movie of the year. I saw the 3D trailer with The Hobbit back in December and it was spectacular! The same guys that converted The Avengers is doing this movie.
Mitsubishi 3D DLP - WD-65737
Onkyo A/V Receiver - TX-NR709 7.2 Network Receiver
Left/Right Speakers - Polk Audio LSi 15
Rear Speakers - Polk Audio RTi A3
Center Speaker - Polk Audio CSi A4
Subwoofer - Polk Audio PSW 505
Old 03-26-2013, 02:39 AM   #28
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by keb33509 View Post
I've heard "rumors" that the 3D in the actual film looks much better than the trailer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonian Warrior View Post
Being the HUGE Superman fan that I am, this is my most anticipated movie of the year. I saw the 3D trailer with The Hobbit back in December and it was spectacular! The same guys that converted The Avengers is doing this movie.
When I saw it theaters in 3D several times (for the trailer), I was satisfied with the 3D layers, which actually looked better than I was anticipating.
I have confidence that if the movie delivers the same quality, Man of Steel with be a worthwhile 3D conversion as opposed to what an online trailer might suggest, keeping in mind online trailers aren't always accurate displays of 3D.

Nowhere near as flat as Phantom Menace's 3D in many parts.
List of Strong 3D Movies on Blu Ray 3D / Most PSVR PS4 games with strong stereo 3D
Old 03-26-2013, 03:59 AM   #29

Oct 2011

I've seen the trailer at the movies and I thought it looked very good (the 3D), also watched on my 150" projector and thought it looked even better.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:02 AM   #30

Jan 2013

It is inconceivable that Warner would deliver anything less than a spectacular 3D experience for this, the jewel in its super-hero crown. Man of Steel is one of the few films I will bother to go and see at the cinema this year.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:58 AM   #31
Special Member

Jun 2010
CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonian Warrior View Post
I remember getting the 3d trailer as well and thinking the same thing. I think the depth looks excellent. Not super strong, but far from subtle imo. Can't freaking wait for this movie and to see it in 3d!!!
Old 03-26-2013, 07:01 AM   #32
Special Member

Jun 2010
CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
When I saw it theaters in 3D several times (for the trailer), I was satisfied with the 3D layers, which actually looked better than I was anticipating.
I have confidence that if the movie delivers the same quality, Man of Steel with be a worthwhile 3D conversion as opposed to what an online trailer might suggest, keeping in mind online trailers aren't always accurate displays of 3D.

Nowhere near as flat as Phantom Menace's 3D in many parts.
Yeah this kind of seems to confirm my theory about smaller screens not accurately portraying the merits of a 3d movies depth levels. I remember the opening shot of the trailer of Superman floating in the water REALLY popping when first saw the 3d trailer last year.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:37 PM   #33
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2011
The Citadel

This needs strong 3D!
"Still in all, every night we does the tell, so that we 'member who we was and where we came from... but most of all we 'members the man that finded us, him that came the salvage. And we lights the city, not just for him, but for all of them that are still out there. 'Cause we knows there come a night, when they sees the distant light, and they'll be comin' home."
Old 03-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #34
Expert Member

Feb 2012
Missouri, USA

The movie looks pretty cool - I'll be checking this one out despite any other recommendations based off of the 3D, the trailer has me intrigued. I obviously do hope though that the 3D is awesome, I caught a trailer before The Hobbit as well and remember leaning over to my wife and telling her I thought it looked good.
Want to manually convert 2d to 3d yourself and accurately - not with an automated software? Check out my topic and tutorial here.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #35

May 2008

It would be a mistake to base the 3d quality on a online trailer. Common sense should tell you that it's obviously not the same.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:12 PM   #36
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2010

The 3D looks natural and appropriate for what scenes are in the trailer. There is nothing in it that really requires strong 3D
Old 03-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #37
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
India

I was really blown away by Iron Man 3, Jurassic Park and mostly, G.I Joe Retaliation (which I think is some of the best 3D I've ever seen ). The Man Of Steel trailer has incredibly subtle 3D, even more so than The Amazing Spider-Man. Even shots such as Supe flying towards Zod almost looks like 2D.
Hopefully, this is not the final product but I highly doubt it. Trailers have more or less the same 3D that the final movie has. (Hobbit, Amazing Spider-Man, Avengers, Titanic, Prometheus, etc.)

Nolan has always been against 3D and I wonder if he had any hand in making it almost appear 2D except for the shapes of objects/people and VERY light layering.

Star Trek Into Darkness trailer also has brilliant 3D with excellent foreground placement and layering. MOS is the movie I'm most looking forward to in 2013, but it looks like it has the most disappointing 3D .
JVC DLA-x550 Projector | 140 Inch Matte White Screen | Polk 7.1.2 Atmos System: TSi 300, CS20, DSW500 sub, OWM5 rear heights| Marantz sr6011 receiver
Old 03-28-2013, 02:33 AM   #38
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseeley View Post
Yeah this kind of seems to confirm my theory about smaller screens not accurately portraying the merits of a 3d movies depth levels. I remember the opening shot of the trailer of Superman floating in the water REALLY popping when first saw the 3d trailer last year.
Good theory. The exception to the rule would be the Nintendo 3DS, which I've seen has the ability for strong 3D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivas1015 View Post
I was really blown away by Iron Man 3, Jurassic Park and mostly, G.I Joe Retaliation (which I think is some of the best 3D I've ever seen ). The Man Of Steel trailer has incredibly subtle 3D, even more so than The Amazing Spider-Man. Even shots such as Supe flying towards Zod almost looks like 2D.
Hopefully, this is not the final product but I highly doubt it. Trailers have more or less the same 3D that the final movie has. (Hobbit, Amazing Spider-Man, Avengers, Titanic, Prometheus, etc.)

Nolan has always been against 3D and I wonder if he had any hand in making it almost appear 2D except for the shapes of objects/people and VERY light layering.

Star Trek Into Darkness trailer also has brilliant 3D with excellent foreground placement and layering. MOS is the movie I'm most looking forward to in 2013, but it looks like it has the most disappointing 3D .
Srinivas, agreed on GI Joe's strong 3D, and Jurassic Park. I liked Iron Man's 3D and agree with you about Amazing Spider-Man's subtle 3D when the action wasn't rolling.

And you're right that 3D trailers often are a good indication of the final film's 3D. The only thing is, I'm wondering if the 3D you saw for Man of Steel was projected as it was in Cinemark's theater, as I think we're seeing two different things maybe.

I caught the 3D in Man of Steel's trailer a few times now on the big screen, and I'm not worried, but actually looking forward to it. I'd go far as to say it has the same quality 3D as Iron Man from the trailer's I've seen, and I know what you're saying about Phantom Menace's 3D being mostly flat in many parts.

One example, during the shots where the kid Clark Kent is near his step father's truck, the 3D has clear layers that made me take notice and think "Nice 3D".

Were you able to catch the trailer in 3D for Man of Steel on the big screen? I think it can make a difference. Keeping in mind, some 3D trailers, if they're not official, could be "converted by a software program" just to get the "first 3D" trailer on youtube. Not sure if that's the case here, but if you liked the 3D in Prometheus, which I did also, there is hope for Man of Steel's 3D.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:14 PM   #39
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
Srinivas, agreed on GI Joe's strong 3D, and Jurassic Park. I liked Iron Man's 3D and agree with you about Amazing Spider-Man's subtle 3D when the action wasn't rolling.

And you're right that 3D trailers often are a good indication of the final film's 3D. The only thing is, I'm wondering if the 3D you saw for Man of Steel was projected as it was in Cinemark's theater, as I think we're seeing two different things maybe.

I caught the 3D in Man of Steel's trailer a few times now on the big screen, and I'm not worried, but actually looking forward to it. I'd go far as to say it has the same quality 3D as Iron Man from the trailer's I've seen, and I know what you're saying about Phantom Menace's 3D being mostly flat in many parts.

One example, during the shots where the kid Clark Kent is near his step father's truck, the 3D has clear layers that made me take notice and think "Nice 3D".

Were you able to catch the trailer in 3D for Man of Steel on the big screen? I think it can make a difference. Keeping in mind, some 3D trailers, if they're not official, could be "converted by a software program" just to get the "first 3D" trailer on youtube. Not sure if that's the case here, but if you liked the 3D in Prometheus, which I did also, there is hope for Man of Steel's 3D.
I haven't seen the Man Of Steel 3D Trailer in a cinema; my statement is based only on the YouTube trailer in the first post. Hopefully the final product doesn't look like that and looks more like how you and some of the others above described. When I was first watching the trailer, I actually hoped for the copy to be a fake software converted version but sadly, I noticed actual dimensionality and layers in a few shots. The 3D in the YouTube trailer looks more subtle than Tin Tin. In fact, it reminds me of Pirates 4 : On Stranger Tides .

A few months ago, I had expected the opposite. I thought Man Of Steel would have really strong 3D with lots of layering and foreground placement like Titanic and Star Trek Into Darkness would have subtle 3D cos of the framing in the trailers.
Almost every single shot in Man Of Steel is framed in such a way that it beautifully lends itself to 3D.

A few examples:

The building way in the foreground in loads of negative parallax, Supe and Zod slightly in the background in positive parallax and the city vista way in the background in strong positive parallax. Even the camera moves lend themselves to 3D. As the camera sprints over the surface of the building (with it way in the foreground and very close to the face of the viewer but slightly out of focus as the viewer would be concentrating on Supe and Zod. The foreground placement would really help in the immersion) and as the camera gets closer and closer to Supe & Zod, both of them would move from the background to the midground and into the foreground (positive parallax to no parallax/plane of the screen to negative parallax). At the same time, Supe and Zod would be moving closer towards each other.
Simply put, this movie seems to have brilliant framing and camera work. All it needs is a good 3D conversion.

I also think that if something is supposed to come out of the screen in a shot, it SHOULD come out. For example -

That debris should come out of the screen but sometimes filmmakers think having 'pop out' is a gimmick so they push the entire shot way into the screen (positive parallax) such that all the debris comes all the way upto the plane of the screen but stops there without any negative parallax. I hate it when they do this as I lose the immersion reminding me of an 'invisible wall'/screen.

With the way J.J frames his shots, I had my doubts about the 3D. They're usually flat with no layering opportunities or they're shots from a far off distance with no close-by objects that can be used for foreground placement. This would result in only depth/positive parallax without anything protruding out of the screen.

Examples:

But I'm glad to see that they did a hell of job with the conversion with SO MUCH foreground placement that made my jaw drop!

If they can do such a good job with shots like those, I expected really good 3D from Man Of Steel as it's pretty easy to do so.

Another example -

Clark in the foreground(out of the screen), Jonathan on the plane of the screen or a little inside and the rest of the stuff in the background (positive parallax). But you're saying that's how it looked in the theatre so hopefully the YouTube trailer is more like a 3D workprint.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:12 PM   #40
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivas1015
I haven't seen the Man Of Steel 3D Trailer in a cinema; my statement is based only on the YouTube trailer in the first post. Hopefully the final product doesn't look like that and looks more like how you and some of the others above described.
Yes, it's much better. Once they post an official trailer in 3D, I think you'll see a difference. Thanks for posting those pics and observations on the 3D per shot.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies

Tags
man of steel, superman