Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Community: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.08

Nightwing / Shadow of the Hawk (Blu-ray)
$8.79
18 hrs ago
Ghost World (Blu-ray)
$17.87

Isle of Dogs (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Odds Against Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Paul, Apostle of Christ (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Incredibles 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Andrei Rublev (Blu-ray)
$34.22
19 hrs ago
The Changeling (Blu-ray)
$27.93

Rick and Morty: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Mr. Destiny (Blu-ray)
$12.89

The Walking Dead: The Complete Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$42.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray.com > Newbie Discussion

Old 11-09-2017, 04:24 PM   #1

Jun 2017
Auburn. WA
Default grain question

I have been on here a few months, thought I would post this here instead of potentially upsetting longer-tenured forum members in a different section. I know the film-lover consensus is 'grain is good' but my personal preference is to not have the sandy appearance.

I'm finding varying levels of grain in blu rays and 4k discs. Currently using XboxOneS and a Sony XBR75850E.

After minimal research it seems the grain is inherent depending on the source material itself, correct or not? Right now I have on Transformers: Age of Extinction. Most of it is very sandy, especially when a blue sky is in the background. It's like a snow globe! I have played with noise reduction and clarity but it won't go away.

Similar feelings to Labyrinth 4k. People gush over the remaster and image quality but the whole thing is like watching the film through a window being bashed by a sandstorm. Planet Earth II in 4k looks absolutely flawless.

So...Should I just accept it? is there something that can be done? I would like to experience the older films in the 4k format but not if they will all look this way. Thoughts? Cheers!
Old 11-09-2017, 07:26 PM   #2
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by peep6543 View Post
So...Should I just accept it? is there something that can be done? I would like to experience the older films in the 4k format but not if they will all look this way. Thoughts? Cheers!
You just have to except that film is grain and grain is film. If you try and erase it you lose detail. You'll have to also except that some films have clumpier grain than others.

Just make sure your sharpness settings are correct. Artificial sharpening will make even the finest grain look like the snowiest of snow globes.
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time." DM
"How many times do I have to buy this thing?" MH
"Sure. Fine. Whatever." DS
Old 11-09-2017, 09:25 PM   #3

Jun 2017
Auburn. WA

Ok. I liked the clarity and detail from Planet Earth II in 4k. Are there films that were shot with the same cameras that I can seek out?

Looking at the demo reels of 4k in-store everything looks crisp, flawless, zero grain. That is what I'm looking for in movies I choose to watch at home.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:22 PM   #4

Jun 2017
Auburn. WA

For instance, I'm midway through Mad Max Fury Road right now and it looks incredible. As a relative film spec noob, what did George Miller use for this film that I can hopefully look for in others for the same perfect clarity?
Old 11-10-2017, 05:22 PM   #5
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by peep6543 View Post
For instance, I'm midway through Mad Max Fury Road right now and it looks incredible. As a relative film spec noob, what did George Miller use for this film that I can hopefully look for in others for the same perfect clarity?
I think they used about half a dozen different lenses/cameras for Fury Road. Whilst other films use that equipment as well, the amount of post-production work on the look of films can mean a huge variety of looks.

You just have to read reviews to find the clean aesthetic you're after.
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time." DM
"How many times do I have to buy this thing?" MH
"Sure. Fine. Whatever." DS
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray.com > Newbie Discussion