Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Blow (Blu-ray)
$6.98
The Pawnbroker (Blu-ray)
$19.16
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Quiet Man (Blu-ray)
$14.98
Intolerable Cruelty (Blu-ray)
$10.49
The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning / The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 12-12-2013, 12:03 AM   #301
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_sc77 View Post
I don't care whose decision it was to put those extra scenes in or take them out. The films all work better with those scenes in them. The first film especially more so. They should have at least been included on the disks via seamless branching. If I had the option to choose I would never watch the theatrical versions ever again and only watch the extended versions.
The only extra scene I remember - which I guess means the only one that worked for me - was Riggs schoolyard shoot at the beginning of LW 1. It was a bit dark and & humorless - and I assume, given the way they treated his depression early-on with Murtaugh, a bit raw for where Donner wanted to go with the character.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:35 AM   #302
Power Member

Jul 2010

The longer LW cuts are about as valid as padded TV cuts of movies. They were assembled by the studio to fill a need, they don't represent the intent of the filmmakers.

Even the most derided alternate versions have the creators behind them. It's one thing to have Lucas, Spielberg and Coppola altering their own films, it's another to have someone in the WHV video department artlessly padding 3 films so they can slap "extended director's cut" or whatever on the packaging.
"My boys are 8, 10 and 12 and never saw the SE editons or the PT until I had ingrained in them the UOT over and over again and again. They do not like the PT nor the SE editions at all to this day." -LAdodgers
Old 12-12-2013, 03:54 AM   #303
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012
OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Memphis View Post
The only extra scene I remember - which I guess means the only one that worked for me - was Riggs schoolyard shoot at the beginning of LW 1. It was a bit dark and & humorless - and I assume, given the way they treated his depression early-on with Murtaugh, a bit raw for where Donner wanted to go with the character.
Another excellent scene from the longer version is the scene where Riggs picks up a Prostitute and asks her to come home and just watch the three stooges with him.
Buy/Sale/Trade
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...ostcount=13688
New UV codes for sale or trade :Have:Anchorman 2/ wolf of wall street / Nebraska/ Mandela/ Homefront UV/ Oldboy SD UV from DVD/ Gravity/Riddick/DIANA (vudu)/Machete 2/Fruitvale Station
Want:Diary of a Wimpy kid uv/ Far and away uv
Old 12-12-2013, 07:10 PM   #304

Oct 2011

There are some amazingly ill informed people in this thread regarding the fabulous score set released by LaLa Land.

All you have to do is break it down.
$120 x 3000 units = $360,000.00 revenue.

Let's assume 10% ($36,000) is profit (A measly $12 a set, which they are allowed to make as they are a business after all... )

That leaves $324,000.

Licensing fees to Warner Bros/artists - 40%? = $144,000 (probably a low guess)

Left with $216,000.

Manufacturing of box set and discs - 20%? = $72,000.

Left with $144,000.

Remastering engineer and facilities once source tapes have been found - assume 1 week per disc and $4000/week for wet hire of suite - $36,000

$108,000 left.

Distribution of box sets from pressing plant - $5000
Executive Producer Fees ?
Producer Fees ?
Artwork and design fees ?

That is BEFORE you even start the work to source the original cues - not difficult to see where the costs come in.

Someone with more knowledge than me please come in and correct my figures..

I think it's a great set and well worth the money
Old 12-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #305
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Another excellent scene from the longer version is the scene where Riggs picks up a Prostitute and asks her to come home and just watch the three stooges with him.
This is exactly why that scene was cut from the theatrical version because it was too corny! What man would solicit, and take a hooker to his home to watch a comedy show with him? A man propositioned a prostitute, and pay for one thing, and one thing only, and you already know what it is, strictly not to watch TV.

Last edited by slimdude; 12-12-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:39 AM   #306

Jul 2013
Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
This is exactly why that scene was cut from the theatrical version because it was too corny! What man would solicit, and take a hooker to his home to watch a comedy show with him? A man propositioned a prostitute, and pay for one thing, and one thing only, and you already know what it is, strictly not to watch TV.
Riggs was lonely and just wanted company. It's not like he has any friends to turn to. He's still mourning his wife and wouldn't even consider something sexual. Why is that difficult to understand?
Old 12-13-2013, 04:55 AM   #307
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markgway View Post
Riggs was lonely and just wanted company. It's not like he has any friends to turn to. He's still mourning his wife and wouldn't even consider something sexual. Why is that difficult to understand?
Regardless, the scene just wasn't appropriate, and too melodramatic. Apparently the director though so as well, which is why he edited it from the theatrical version.

Last edited by slimdude; 12-14-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:02 PM   #308

Jan 2014

Lethal Weapon series needs a new blu ray transfer for all 4 movies. the video and audio is horrible. i own all 4 and Lethal weapon is a good series. why do they just do reissue's instead of fixing bad quality editions. and dont change or remix the music either like other movies have gotten.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:18 PM   #309
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Seattle, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bass_Man View Post
Lethal Weapon series needs a new blu ray transfer for all 4 movies. the video and audio is horrible. i own all 4 and Lethal weapon is a good series. why do they just do reissue's instead of fixing bad quality editions. and dont change or remix the music either like other movies have gotten.
The box set here is 2012 remasters. They've been teal-and-oranged but they otherwise look great, I don't know what you expect them to look like.
DVDTalk Blu-Ray and DVD Critic | facebook | Blu-Rays and DVDs (click the tab to switch) | Letterboxd | e-mail me | Twitter
Old 04-04-2014, 11:19 PM   #310
Special Member

Jun 2011
London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bass_Man View Post
Well I think they look great, a million miles from horrible.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:36 PM   #311
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Suffolk County, NY
Send a message via Skype™ to KaineKinetic

I'd love to have the Extended Cuts for all 4 on Blu-Ray!
My 3DS nickname: Kaine
My 3DS friend code: 2492-4192-0317
My XboX Live GamerTag is KaineKinetic
My DeviantArt Page
My Selling Page
Old 04-05-2014, 01:26 AM   #312
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Seattle, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaineKinetic View Post
I'd love to have the Extended Cuts for all 4 on Blu-Ray!
As has probably been stated elsewhere in the thread, Donner's participation in extras for the box set was contingent on the ECs not being included, because he hates them. I wouldn't hold my breath.
DVDTalk Blu-Ray and DVD Critic | facebook | Blu-Rays and DVDs (click the tab to switch) | Letterboxd | e-mail me | Twitter
Old 04-05-2014, 03:05 AM   #313
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Suffolk County, NY

Since when has that ever stopped a Studio doing a re-release?
The Donner set is done. Has been for years.
My DeviantArt Page
My Selling Page
Old 04-05-2014, 05:44 AM   #314
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Seattle, WA

Quote:
Since when has that ever stopped a Studio doing a re-release?
The Donner set is done. Has been for years.
Trust me. They didn't make that deal so they could then pull a fast one. I imagine Donner has enough pull that he could've even stipulated that they never be released again.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:44 AM   #315

Jul 2013
St. Albans, UK

Quote:
I like the scene where Riggs smashes his TV at that annoying advert, with a beer bottle
Old 04-05-2014, 12:45 PM   #316
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Suffolk County, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim_tales View Post
I like the scene where Riggs smashes his TV at that annoying advert, with a beer bottle
I also like the School Shooting scene. It shows a lot how reckless he is, far more than the jumper scene.
My DeviantArt Page
My Selling Page
Old 04-05-2014, 01:02 PM   #317
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
I also like the School Shooting scene. It shows a lot how reckless he is, far more than the jumper scene.
That's the only "extra" scene that worked - because it came so early in the movie that it didn't completely screw up the flow. But the same impression was covered by the Christmas tree/coke buy scene - and that scene highlighted the funnier/crazy aspect of Riggs. The extended versions were basically crocks - built by the company, not the director. They stand up great as deleted scenes (if they were all included in the box set, I can't remember). And weren't there only "extended" versions of the first two flicks (or did all four get them)?
Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.-Mark Twain

Digital Copies Available ($1-$3 or Best Offer). PM Me For List.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:39 PM   #318
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Suffolk County, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Memphis View Post
That's the only "extra" scene that worked - because it came so early in the movie that it didn't completely screw up the flow. But the same impression was covered by the Christmas tree/coke buy scene - and that scene highlighted the funnier/crazy aspect of Riggs. The extended versions were basically crocks - built by the company, not the director. They stand up great as deleted scenes (if they were all included in the box set, I can't remember). And weren't there only "extended" versions of the first two flicks (or did all four get them)?
All 4 did
but not together
1st by iteslf
2nd and 3rd were only available in the quadrilogy set, which also included the extended 1st one.
the 4th was also available by iteslf eventually and never as part of a set until the Warner 4-Film Favourites 4 DVD Set.
My DeviantArt Page
My Selling Page
Old 04-05-2014, 04:53 PM   #319

Jul 2013
St. Albans, UK

IMO the extended first one was the only one that worked best, as it showed how reckless/crazy Riggs is (I liked the bit where, after proclaiming "the younger the better" with the hooker, he just asks her to come and watch The 3 Stooges with him) The extra scenes in 2 & 3 were pretty crap and didnt add anything to the film.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:17 PM   #320
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Suffolk County, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim_tales View Post
IMO the extended first one was the only one that worked best, as it showed how reckless/crazy Riggs is (I liked the bit where, after proclaiming "the younger the better" with the hooker, he just asks her to come and watch The 3 Stooges with him) The extra scenes in 2 & 3 were pretty crap and didnt add anything to the film.
The scene where they are trying to find the house makes sense more in the extended version of #2. That's really, I think, the only scene that should have been added.
I also can't remember any other ones off of the top of my head.
My DeviantArt Page
My Selling Page
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America