Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Americans: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning / The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Charade (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 07-17-2013, 11:39 PM   #361
Site Manager

Aug 2006
USiberia

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULO JC View Post
I have the 2008 in my collection so I was wondering if anybody compared the 2 discs and can tell me if the transfer of the 2012 release is much better than the 2008 or it's basically the same Picture Quality?

THANK YOU
Regards
^^
2012 http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Patton...5/#Screenshots vs 2008 http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Patton...9/#Screenshots
Old 07-17-2013, 11:49 PM   #362
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
I have the 2008 in my collection so I was wondering if anybody compared the 2 discs and can tell me if the transfer of the 2012 release is much better than the 2008 or it's basically the same Picture Quality?

THANK YOU
Regards
There's page after page of opinion in this thread, that's what it's all about. For now, try THIS POST and THIS POST - two great video comparisons by Farge-TV. Follow the two video links and remember that the password is hello.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:06 AM   #363

Dec 2012
Silicon Valley

Quote:

THANK YOU
Regards
I have both - IMO the latest is the greatest and most film-like- but I would put a replacement of the 2008 disc low on the priority list. Unless you're a real pixel- peeper, IMO again, the earlier one is very good. [BTW I have the DVD also, and it, well, sucks!].
================================
Sony BDP-S790
Epson 8350 projector
Visual Apex 120" fixed- frame screen
Denon AVR-3313CI receiver
Aperion Intimus 632-LR, No center!,
Aperion 4BP surrounds, 4B back surrounds
SVS PB12-NSD subwoof-woof
Old 07-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #364

Sep 2012
Heaven (a.k.a. Hell)

I just watched this a week ago, great movie . I'm no expert, but the 2008 Patton looks kind of smudged, so 2012 it is.
Founder of one of the world's biggest charities: "Raise Awareness for the Garbage Pail Kids Movie". I believe everyone should see this masterwork of cinema, and that's why I created this charity. I have given all my money to this charity, which unfortunately has made me homeless. But it's worth it. Here's the website: www.raiseawareness4garbagepailkids.com
Update: The site was taken down because the government realized they could harness the films awesomeness to nuke other countries.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:39 PM   #365

Jan 2012
Toronto, ON(CAN)
Canada 14728, ArnoldLayne56, Early Memphis, Deciazulado

I want to thank to 14728, ArnoldLayne56, Early Memphis and Deciazulado
for all the help and fast response to my concerns and questions about this Great Movie.

Thank You!

Regards
Old 07-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #366
Power Member

May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnoldLayne56 View Post
I have both - IMO the latest is the greatest and most film-like- but I would put a replacement of the 2008 disc low on the priority list. Unless you're a real pixel- peeper, IMO again, the earlier one is very good. [BTW I have the DVD also, and it, well, sucks!].
I only have the remastered one and I really like the image in terms of detail, it matches Lawrence Of Arabia IMO.

But the DNR issue aside, I noticed that the difference is color timing is drastic between the two releases. Without knowing what the movie is supposed to look like theatrically, I prefer the color timing of the old release, the new one seems tinted:

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergl...ss=1#vergleich
"I couldn't think of a more horrible job if I wanted to. And you have to do it. You have to!"
Old 07-22-2013, 02:08 PM   #367
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by I KEEL YOU View Post
I only have the remastered one and I really like the image in terms of detail, it matches Lawrence Of Arabia IMO.

But the DNR issue aside, I noticed that the difference is color timing is drastic between the two releases. Without knowing what the movie is supposed to look like theatrically, I prefer the color timing of the old release, the new one seems tinted:

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergl...ss=1#vergleich
Although I'm not a fan of screen caps, the sharpness difference implied by those caps is stunning. The color timing (is this the famous "teal thing"?) only seems problematic in some shots - certainly the one you chose. Is that what you found as well?
Old 07-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #368

Jul 2013
Deadwood, SD

Better than the 2008 release by leaps and bounds.

George C. Scott was incredible

One of my Top 3 favorite war flicks.
Top 5 Favorite Movies

1. Blade Runner
2. Taxi Driver
3. Jaws
4. Apocalypse Now
5. For a Few Dollars More
Old 07-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #369
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Memphis View Post
Although I'm not a fan of screen caps, the sharpness difference implied by those caps is stunning. The color timing (is this the famous "teal thing"?) only seems problematic in some shots - certainly the one you chose. Is that what you found as well?
The new version looks great, overall (in motion). The color timing was completely wrong on the original disc.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:44 PM   #370
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
Edge of the Accretion Disc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter View Post
The color timing was completely wrong on the original disc.
What do you base that on, Hitter?
Old 07-23-2013, 01:29 AM   #371
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
What do you base that on, Hitter?
Some scenes are fine, but many others are off. There was a discussion from an insider a long time back on another forum about this.

The new version is superior in every way though and actually looks like film.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:47 AM   #372
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
Edge of the Accretion Disc

Thanks. :-)

I have the first Blu-ray release, and haven't upgraded, since I prefer the colour of the first transfer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter View Post
The new version is superior in every way though and actually looks like film.
I personally disagree. I think solely in colour palette the new version looks like a processed image. It's that blue cast thing that so many Blu-rays have, that's the visual equivalent of a breath mint. We think it's cleaner or fresher, but it's not really — it's just minty-blue.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:27 AM   #373
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:

I have the first Blu-ray release, and haven't upgraded, since I prefer the colour of the first transfer.

I personally disagree. I think solely in colour palette the new version looks like a processed image. It's that blue cast thing that so many Blu-rays have, that's the visual equivalent of a breath mint. We think it's cleaner or fresher, but it's not really — it's just minty-blue.
Subjectively speaking, the colors on the old release are way over-pumped in some scenes. It reminds me of what they did with Predator Hunter Edition. Almost cartoon-ish in some scenes. The new version looks "natural". I'm watching on a pro-calibrated Panasonic 65" VT60 which has virtually reference color.

The severe DNR on the original release is another issue, of course.

Last edited by HeavyHitter; 07-23-2013 at 02:33 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:22 AM   #374
Power Member

Feb 2012
Pittsburgh
Default Patton (Remastered) - November 6, 2012 Review , soldier

Just got done watching this for the first time. I blind bought the remastered Blu-Ray during Black Friday week. Amazing movie that (now) looks wonderful on Blu!
Old 08-25-2013, 03:10 AM   #375

Dec 2012

Its the remastered version a new(4K?) transfer ?
Old 08-25-2013, 04:41 AM   #376
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rider View Post
Its the remastered version a new(4K?) transfer ?
Pardon? Proofread?
Old 10-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #377

Jun 2009

Quote:

You should really watch it. Having watched them both and made the video comparison, I strongly prefer the new edition. I see where you're coming from with the colours, though. They do look more striking on the initial release at times. But they look too striking in many scenes, which I suspect may be a combination of oversaturation and DNR. Look at the extremely green forest in the background when they are driving the car, for instance:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=289 (the password is hello).

From the 2:05 mark, you can see the great difference in detail between the versions. When Patton and Montgomery switch places, you realise just how washed out the old edition is.

I haven't noticed any particular shift towards blue (something I hate myself), but the contrast seems a little too strong at times. Overall, the image is great.

P.S. I haven't renewed my Vimeo subscription, so they have compressed the video to 720P, making the differences much less visible.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #378
Power Member

Jun 2012
Australia

These comparsen pictures say a thousand words. The orignal release was a outdated over saturated soft waxy piece of crap, and the new release is a modern crisp wonderfully sharp and detailed delight. - http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergl...mage=1#auswahl
Old 02-17-2014, 05:19 PM   #379
Power Member

Oct 2008
Land Of Lincoln, USA Blu-ray SteelBooks™ (96)

On sale at foxconnect again.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:18 AM   #380
Expert Member

Oct 2013

This is under review at Amazon. Is there some problem with it?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America