Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Precious Cargo (Blu-ray)
€5.99

Brimstone (Blu-ray)
€12.99

Mission Impossible 1-5 Box (Blu-ray)
€14.99
11 hrs ago
Ocean's Trilogy (Blu-ray)
€9.99
11 hrs ago
The Martian (Blu-ray)
€9.99
6 hrs ago
The Expanse: Season One (Blu-ray)
€9.99

Space Pirate Captain Harlock 3D (Blu-ray)
€7.99

Suspiria (Blu-ray)
€21.93

Jet Pilot (Blu-ray)
€12.99

Jason Bourne (Blu-ray)
€9.99

Iron Fist: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
€27.00

Breakout (Blu-ray)
€7.99
18 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Germany

Old 02-25-2015, 08:36 PM   #1
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-
Germany Sandokan: The Tiger of Malaysia

Sergio Solima's Sandokan: The Tiger of Malaysia coming to Blu-ray (two-disc set) on April 23. With the legendary Kabir Bedi, Philippe Leroy, and Adolfo Celi.

PRESS RELEASE:

Quote:
Malaysia ächzt unter der harten Hand des skrupellosen britischen Kolonialherren James Brooke. Nur Sandokan, einziger Überlebender der ermordeten einstigen Herrscherfamilie, nimmt den Kampf mit der Besatzungsmacht auf. Als Pirat operiert er von der Insel Mompracem aus und muss etliche Abenteuer bestehen, bevor er als „Tiger von Malaysia“ schließlich zur Legende werden darf. (2 Blu-rays)
Ende des 19. Jahrhunderts gelang Emilio Salgaris mit seinem „Tiger von Malaysia“ ein literarischer Erfolg, der ihm den Titel des „Karl May von Italien“ einbrachte. Mitte der 70er Jahre wurde sein Sandokan schließlich auch zur Film-Legende. Sergio Sollimas längst zum TV-Kult avancierte Miniserie hat sich ins Kollektivgedächtnis einer ganzen Generation eingebrannt. Jetzt endlich ist der gut sechsstündige Klassiker in HD-Abtastung erstmals auch auf Blu-ray erhältlich.

Extras: Original Kinotrailer, Interview mit Sergio Sollima, Bildergalerie mit seltenem Werbematerial
THE TIGER LIVES!

Sandokan Returns to Mompracem

German Trailer

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 02-25-2015 at 08:57 PM.
Thanks given by:
drauch (02-26-2015)
Old 02-25-2015, 09:10 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2009

Wow, astonishing.

This should be a movie. It was later re-arranged as a 2-part mini-series for Italian TV.

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_tig..._alla_riscossa!

Last edited by UniSol GR77; 02-25-2015 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:19 PM   #3
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

I actually have the TV rendition on DVD. The film version is superior (and this is also the case with the rest of the other part).

Pro-B
Old 02-25-2015, 09:33 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist View Post

I actually have the TV rendition on DVD. The film version is superior (and this is also the case with the rest of the other part).

Pro-B
Have you got the original 6-part miniseries on DVD? I ask you this because I must make a comparison with the blu-ray in regards to some "out-of-the-focus"/blurred scenes on the blu-ray... I suspect it's something related to the original source/the way it has been filmed.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:41 PM   #5
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniSol GR77 View Post
Have you got the original 6-part miniseries on DVD? I ask you this because I must make a comparison with the blu-ray in regards to some "out-of-the-focus"/blurred scenes on the blu-ray... I suspect it's something related to the original source/the way it has been filmed.
Hi UniSol GR77,

I have the orange set, which I think was released in Holland. But this release does not have English subtitles.

The transfer on the DVD is from a very old master -- detail and clarity are rather average and stability can be improved. Also, there is some wear and tear. Again, though, this release is not good for English speakers.

Pro-B
Old 02-26-2015, 01:22 AM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2009

Yeah I know where you're coming from....

Anyway, about the blu-ray, in the first episode:

The final scene (long shot) featuring the slaves, it becomes blurred for few seconds.

Another scene "out of focus" is when Sandokan is leading his boat, before or after he does his speech, you can see his face blurring.

Check this for me, I'm curious.

There are some instances throughout the series. I think it is inherent to the source material.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:28 PM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2009

Hey?
Old 04-08-2015, 04:35 AM   #8
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Hi UniSol GR77,

I apologize for not responding here earlier. I completely forgot about this thread and my browser isn't highlighting unread threads again. (I actually just noticed another comment in the French subforum as well).

OK. I think I know what section you are referring to -- and the answer is no; this isn't a source limitation. The DVD release is sourced from a very old master and there are plenty of inconsistencies. Actually, it looks quite rough.

As you know, this is a big-budget production. If rescanned and done right, the film should look magnificent on Blu-ray.

Again, I am very sorry. I wasn't ignoring you, I simply lost this thread.

Pro-B
Old 04-08-2015, 11:34 AM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist View Post
Hi UniSol GR77,

I apologize for not responding here earlier. I completely forgot about this thread and my browser isn't highlighting unread threads again. (I actually just noticed another comment in the French subforum as well).

OK. I think I know what section you are referring to -- and the answer is no; this isn't a source limitation. The DVD release is sourced from a very old master and there are plenty of inconsistencies. Actually, it looks quite rough.

As you know, this is a big-budget production. If rescanned and done right, the film should look magnificent on Blu-ray.

Again, I am very sorry. I wasn't ignoring you, I simply lost this thread.

Pro-B
Don't worry man !!!! You're so polite. Glad you answered me back now.

Sorry, I was talking about the Italian blu-ray release, so I'm wondering why that did happen in the very first place...

You should check this:

(Episode 1)

"The final scene (long shot) featuring the slaves, it becomes blurred for few seconds.

Another scene "out of focus" is when Sandokan is leading his boat, before or after he does his speech, you can see his face blurring."

ON THE DVD version. Because if those flaws are present on either DVDs and Blu-Rays, well, maybe they are inherent to the source. Just a thought.

Last edited by UniSol GR77; 04-08-2015 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:20 PM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2009

Any news?

http://www.amazon.de/Sandokan-Tiger-...words=Sandokan

Last edited by UniSol GR77; 04-28-2015 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:56 PM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2009

Sergio Sollima is dead. RIP legend !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://video.corriere.it/kabir-bedi-...7-5cd583b309bb
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Germany