Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Grießnockerlaffäre (Blu-ray)
€7.00
7 hrs ago
The Expanse: Season One (Blu-ray)
€9.99

Space Pirate Captain Harlock 3D (Blu-ray)
€7.99

Jet Pilot (Blu-ray)
€12.99

Fifty Shades Freed (Blu-ray)
€14.99

Iron Fist: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
€26.98

The World in His Arms (Blu-ray)
€12.99

Pearl Jam: Let's Play Two (Blu-ray)
€12.97

Norah Jones: Live at Ronnie Scott's (Blu-ray)
€16.08

Precious Cargo (Blu-ray)
€5.99
14 hrs ago
Solo: A Star Wars Story 4K (Blu-ray)
€32.99

Ostwind 3: Aufbruch nach Ora (Blu-ray)
€11.87

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Germany

Old 09-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #61

Nov 2008
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust Devil View Post
That sure doesn't look much better then the US release, but it was clearly stated that the Spanish BD will have new remastered transfer superior to the US BD.
If this is realy it, then I think the German release wil be the same.
Since there seems to be some confusion here I hope nobody will mind if I chime in here and clarify a few things about the RE-ANIMATOR restoration due out by Capelight Sept 27. The answer whether it will be the same as U.S. and Spanish releases: No, it will not. Our restoration of RE-ANIMATOR is based on a completely new scan of the best still available elements, Original Camera Negative and Intermediate Positive, on the IMAGICA at 5K Sensor/4K Data, with 4K workflow in precision color re-timing to restore the color palette, gradation and density as closely as is technically possible to match them the original specifications of the 35mm prints. Capelight are the first to use that final restoration master. Second Sight will also use it, but much later. The same goes for SOCIETY (also available Sept 27 thru Capelight) and BRIDE OF RE-ANIMATOR (due Jan 2014). Both pictures, however, have a 5K Sensor/2K Data workflow compated to the 5K/4K of RE-ANIMATOR.

Also, capelight pictures will have the 104-minute INTEGRAL VERSION exclusively (for the first time in HD, made also from the 4K workflow, all digital restoration work was made at 2K level on both versions) and has the TV version in SD included for reference.

SOUND is both in English and German language tracks, on the 86-minute UNRATED VERSION in the respectively original PCM 2.0 Stereo, as well as 7.1 DTS HD MA in German and 5.1 DTS HD MA in English; the INTEGRAL VERSION holds both language tracks in 5.1 DTS HD MA and a PCM 2.0 Stereo in German.

There are both English and German subtitle OPTIONS on the UNRATED VERSION, optinal subtitles in German on the INTEGRAL VERSION available.

Oh, and by the way, the complete isolated music soundtrack is available on the UNRATED VERSION as a Multichannel Mix.
Torsten Kaiser
Technical Director / Head of Operations
TLEFilms FRPS - Film and Sound Mastering Restoration & Preservation Services
www.TLEFilms.com

Last edited by Torsten Kaiser TLE; 09-19-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #62

Aug 2008

Thanks , this info is really helpfull !
I'm glad I have both, Re-animator and Society on Pre-order !
And i'm glad I cancelled the Spanish release !
Old 09-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #63
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
England

If it's half as good as the Assault On Precinct 13 release it will be a stunner
Old 09-19-2013, 07:59 PM   #64
Expert Member

Apr 2010
Norway

Thank you Torsten for chiming in here, and the information. Really looking forward to the release.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:08 PM   #65
Special Member

Feb 2013
Essex, UK
United Kingdom

Cant wait !!!

Any news on new documentaries or interviews?
Although the exclusive 'integral version' is more than enough reason to buy this version anyway.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:48 AM   #66

Aug 2013
Oslo, Norway

Thanks for the information, seems like I'll be importing this version, which seems to be superior version available as of now.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:06 PM   #67

Aug 2008

http://www.wicked-vision.com/bluray/review/686

Two of the screenshots that can be viewed full size, are almost the same as two on dvdbeaver and if you compare those two, you can see the German BD is a clear winner !!
Old 09-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #68

Jul 2012

I guess you are referring to those?

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/42166/
Old 09-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #69

Aug 2008

Yep
Old 09-23-2013, 05:22 PM   #70

May 2013

That one could be compared too - not the exact same shot, but maybe a second or two in between - and the german one looks better... to me at least.

http://www.wicked-vision.com/images_...ed_gross10.jpg

That sentence might get changed in the dvdbeaver-review:

Quote:
The dual-layered Blu-ray transfer from Image Entertainment has a high bitrate and I don't doubt this is the zenith digital appearance for Re-Animator.

Last edited by ionsi; 09-23-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:59 PM   #71

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionsi View Post
That one could be compared too - not the exact same shot, but maybe a second or two in between - and the german one looks better... to me at least.

http://www.wicked-vision.com/images_...ed_gross10.jpg
Texas hotlink massacre
But I know wich shot you mean.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:59 PM   #72
Special Member

Feb 2013
Essex, UK
United Kingdom

Only downside to this release is the fact i wont be able to read the german mediabook.

Otherwise this is shaping up to be my favourite blu-ray release and i havent even seen it yet.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #73
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydavey View Post
Only downside to this release is the fact i wont be able to read the german mediabook.

Otherwise this is shaping up to be my favourite blu-ray release and i havent even seen it yet.
Agreed. That review sounds fantastic and the screenshots speak for themselves. Shame the mediabook is in German but that's to be expected. I'm very glad I pre-ordered this - I can't imagine ever touching my Image blu-ray again.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:12 PM   #74
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2007

I received my shipping notification for Re-Animator from Amazon DE today!
Old 09-26-2013, 03:37 PM   #75
Special Member

Feb 2013
Essex, UK
United Kingdom

Me too
Estimated delivery is 28th September (Fingers crossed)
Old 09-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #76

Aug 2008

Me too + Society
Old 09-27-2013, 07:31 PM   #77

Feb 2009
Switzerland

Caps-a-holic Comparison with US Blu Ray:
http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergl...mage=0#auswahl

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thats all i can say!
The US is garbage!!!
Old 09-28-2013, 02:06 PM   #78
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2011

The new German remaster looks pretty stunning compared to the crappy US version. However, I'm wondering what's going on with screenshots 10 and 11 there. The German version seems to actually be smoother and more waxy than the US version. And if you look really close, all the German shots seem to have some really ugly compression issues. Look at shot 8 for example - look at Dan's face and hair. The German version has a ton of ugly compression issues that the US version doesn't have. Also look at the dark area on the left of the tray in shot 10, next to his ear. In the US version you can clearly see lots of detail inside the tray due to the lighting, but the German version loses all the inside detail, and it's just pitch black, with awful compression artifacts instead. You can clearly see the bottom of the pan, actually, in the US version - in the German version, you can't see the bottom at all - it's just pitch black. Did they go too dark on the transfer? Because that's an awful lot of shadow detail to lose.

Can anybody elaborate on this? Is this just the compression of the images on the site? I didn't think that site compressed images that badly to the point where you would see ugly artifacts like that - and it's all over the German images but not the US shots. I really hope those compression artifacts aren't actually on the blu-ray because that seems surprisingly bad. I can't imagine they would go through all that effort just to ruin it during compression.

The images do look far better except for the compression concern I have. Shot 9 for example - you can see the green glow on Herbert's face from the reagent in the German version but it's all but gone on the US version.

Last edited by mar3o; 09-28-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #79

Nov 2008
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
The new German remaster looks pretty stunning compared to the crappy US version. However, I'm wondering what's going on with screenshots 10 and 11 there. The German version seems to actually be smoother and more waxy than the US version. And if you look really close, all the German shots seem to have some really ugly compression issues. Look at shot 8 for example - look at Dan's face and hair. The German version has a ton of ugly compression issues that the US version doesn't have. Also look at the dark area on the left of the tray in shot 10, next to his ear. In the US version you can clearly see lots of detail inside the tray due to the lighting, but the German version loses all the inside detail, and it's just pitch black, with awful compression artifacts instead. You can clearly see the bottom of the pan, actually, in the US version - in the German version, you can't see the bottom at all - it's just pitch black. Did they go too dark on the transfer? Because that's an awful lot of shadow detail to lose.

Can anybody elaborate on this? Is this just the compression of the images on the site? I didn't think that site compressed images that badly to the point where you would see ugly artifacts like that - and it's all over the German images but not the US shots. I really hope those compression artifacts aren't actually on the blu-ray because that seems surprisingly bad. I can't imagine they would go through all that effort just to ruin it during compression.

The images do look far better except for the compression concern I have. Shot 9 for example - you can see the green glow on Herbert's face from the reagent in the German version but it's all but gone on the US version.
It is always interesting (or should I re-phrase and say baffling) to me, with what remarkable conviction and absolute certainty - and not to mention bravado - some users declare something they see an issue that is DEFINITIVELY THAT - AND NOTHING OTHER - "FLAW" they make themselves believe exists, before even knowing whether it exists at all - and apparently not caring whether they confuse a lot of others in the process. What is so remarkable about this is that - as is evident in this case as well - the comments come before the user has even seen the disc in reality. All assumptions are made based on a grab seen on a computer screen. No knowledge of the original materials, the scan, the color timing, the encode. Questions are raised, but - and this is my main concern here - the answers are delivered right in the same line. And with absolute certainty, conviction as if proven fact.

Well, as the warden says in ALIEN 3: "This is rumour control, here are the facts."

First off, there was absolutely NO NOISE REDUCTION OF ANY KIND applied. And, there are NO relevant compression issues to speak of, either. We worked very hard to insure that. And while even a very good encode like this one that has to battle 1284 Mbit/sec from uncompressed DPX data Files to a ca. 36 Mbit/sec file on Blu-ray is coming to its limitations especially with the pretty coarse grain of a film such as RE-ANIMATOR, the comparitively tiny changes are certainly anything but "ugly". The use of the word in reference to this doesn't apply and is abolute nonsense. I am very sorry, mar3o, but not only are your comments way over the top but I have to say that you really do not know what you are talking about.

Re: softness: This is the natural appearance of the Intermediate Positive. We did not apply any artificial sharpening. The old master clearly is both elevated in gamma and white gain as well as contrast, and sharpening (or rather coring) is also evident. But it is all digital. That was one of the reasons why we decided to do the whole thing anew, and on a 4K level.

re: color re-timing: a recommendation - it is always a good idea NEVER to make any judgments from computer screens that are not professionally calibrated and used for either professional digital work or monitoring/QC. Most monitors have additonal settings that change the signal quite a bit and the user is non the wiser. In the cases referred to, none of the detail is lost, in fact, when viewed on calibrated monitors or screens and cross referenced with a waveformer and vectorscope you would notice immediately that the signal of the old master was boosted in gamma and brightness to raise the black level substantially over that of the originally practically pitch dark surroundings on 35mm (just a "keyhole" halogen spot is applied to light the extras and "action" in the morgue). These scenes are not supposed to show the makeup effects, in fact, raising everything hidden to "light" kills the intent Brian Yuzna and Stuart Gordon were aiming for. And old saying goes: "No ghosts in daylight". How true. No scariness either. Just rediculous looking people trying to scare you. This is not what was intended, and we would have been fools if we would have repeated the mistakes made in the creation of the of the old master.
Torsten Kaiser
Technical Director / Head of Operations
TLEFilms FRPS - Film and Sound Mastering Restoration & Preservation Services
www.TLEFilms.com

Last edited by Torsten Kaiser TLE; 09-28-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #80

Jun 2012
Germany

just look at this

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergl...y=33#vergleich

that alone shows the massive difference. Gut gemacht/well done! Picked up the mediabook today. But I'm gonna wait till October 1st since I'll do a Halloween movie marathon in October. So I'm gonna have to wait a few days till I can watch it. But it'll make for a good first Halloween marathon movie!

And Society should arrive on Tuesday. A newly remastered version of Re-Animator sees its first release in Germany, of all the places in the world. Now who saw that one coming?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Germany