Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Fairy Tail: Part 12 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
The Flintstones (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
The Bubble 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Kite (Blu-ray)
$17.96
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Magic in the Moonlight (Blu-ray)
$22.79
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Tommy Boy (Blu-ray)
$4.88
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 11-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #2181

Apr 2011
NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
Sounds like you've been handed a bootleg copy. From the review:
The above quote also describes my personal 3D Blu-ray expereince.
Please, most reviewer are full of it. I reviewed professionally for years from Beta/VHS, Laser, and DVD/Blu. I had my own site and was kicked off of the DISNEY AND WB list because I gave bad reviews to product that was just a rip-off in terms of PQ

The disc I have is legit. The reviewer of that review wouldn't know the difference unless he or she actually did a comparison with the 2D Blu-ray. The color on the 3D is a bit faded like most films done today. A whole generation wit being brought with rotten color that actually tinted not true color. I I can get a screen shot for comparison I will post. But knowing how DISNEY screws things up so often it just figures.
- Scott B.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #2182

Apr 2011
NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
Yep, it's right up there with Avatar and TRON: Legacy in terms of 3D quality.
The 3D quality is fine on the disc - it's the color that sucks.
-Scott B.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:57 PM   #2183

Apr 2010
-
-

Sentence One:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditcin View Post
Please, most reviewer are full of it.
Sentence Two:

Quote:
I reviewed professionally for years...
I don't suppose it's possible you're one of the aforementioned "reviewer"[s]?
Old 11-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #2184

Apr 2011
NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperC142 View Post
Sentence One:

Sentence Two:

I don't suppose it's possible you're one of the aforementioned "reviewer"[s]?
As I stated, I know from DOING - now just posting. Because I didn't cater to the studios I was kicked off the list from receiving product. I wasn't afraid to state when they screwed up. When told, and threated by DISNEY to take down my review, or not received future product I refused and posted the truth. Having been a writer, in print, prior to the internet when it was more selective to be a writer - I wasn't going to be bullied by the Studios. Not to mention I worked as an advisor to many released, bonus materials, packaging, interviews, audio commentaries, and a restorations. I followed product from early home video releases on tape and through the evolution of the various media that followed - unlike many to post and are contributors to sites without previous experience or background. Don't be so petty and snotty I posted to let people know what I found via comparative viewing - something I'm sure the reviewer of the 3D edition didn't do.
Sorry, I was trying to be a help. Too bad I bashed DISNEY.
I've worked personally with them - THEY SUCK as a studio.
- Scott B.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #2185
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->88 SteelBooks™--------->127 UV-------->266

Quote:
-Scott B.
But they don't. Is your display properly calibrated?
Old 11-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #2186

Apr 2011
NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
But they don't. Is your display properly calibrated?
Yes, it's the Samsung OLED.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:56 PM   #2187
Power Member

Mar 2011

Watched this for the first time i loved it ! I hope the second one comes out soon
What are you? I'm Batman
Old 04-14-2014, 04:58 PM   #2188
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
West Hollywood, CA.

I finally sat down and watch this. It felt like I was watching an extended episode of Family Guy in which Meg Griffin loses it and goes bat shit crazy.
Liberté, égalité, fraternité
Old 05-08-2014, 04:11 AM   #2189

Jun 2012

Can the 3D blu-ray still be redeemed through Disney Movie Rewards for a small fee or has that ship sailed? Also, is that offer only available by purchasing a specific combo pack? I appreciate the help!
Old 05-08-2014, 05:36 AM   #2190

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpa25 View Post
Can the 3D blu-ray still be redeemed through Disney Movie Rewards for a small fee or has that ship sailed? Also, is that offer only available by purchasing a specific combo pack? I appreciate the help!
You are no longer able to do it. The offer expired 10/31/13
Thanks given by:
mpa25 (05-17-2014)
Old 05-08-2014, 05:46 AM   #2191

Apr 2014
USA

Argh, love the cast but hated this movie.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:07 AM   #2192

Jun 2012
Colonia Copia Claudia Augusta Lugdunum
Question 3D into 2D?

Will the 3D disc play automatically in 2D if I don't have a 3DTV but I have a PS3?
Thanks.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:33 AM   #2193
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanicus View Post
Will the 3D disc play automatically in 2D if I don't have a 3DTV but I have a PS3?
Thanks.
3D only so you need both the 3DTV and BD3D/PS3 to watch it.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:09 AM   #2194

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by rljnunez View Post
You are no longer able to do it. The offer expired 10/31/13
Wow, it's been a while since that expired. Thanks for the heads up rljnunez! I guess I'm in no rush to pick it up then because although I'd like to experience the movie in 3D, my family usually prefers 2D.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:41 PM   #2195
Banned

Aug 2011

The single blu-ray + digital copy version is currently $13.99 at Best Buy

I'm watching it on blu-ray now and some of the green screen shots are so bad. How did this even cost $200M? Was 1/4 of that on the cast?
Old 06-20-2014, 02:21 AM   #2196

Oct 2009

Quote:
-Scott B.
Absolutely correct. The 3D disc is an entirely different transfer! Calibration arguments aside simply take the 3D disc and put your TV or 3D blu-ray player and put it into 2D mode. Here you can clearly see the difference between the 2 transfers and yes the 3D version is greatly desaturated compared to the 2D version. I would have to pump the colors on my VT60 from 53 where it is calibrated to roughly 84-87 on the 3D disc to get roughly the same level of saturation as the 2D disc.

An advantage to companies putting the 3D and 2D versions on 1 disc. You don't run into these issues and the transfers are the same. Quite a few titles have desaturated 3-D versions.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:11 AM   #2197
Power Member

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD View Post
Absolutely correct. The 3D disc is an entirely different transfer! Calibration arguments aside simply take the 3D disc and put your TV or 3D blu-ray player and put it into 2D mode. Here you can clearly see the difference between the 2 transfers and yes the 3D version is greatly desaturated compared to the 2D version. I would have to pump the colors on my VT60 from 53 where it is calibrated to roughly 84-87 on the 3D disc to get roughly the same level of saturation as the 2D disc.

An advantage to companies putting the 3D and 2D versions on 1 disc. You don't run into these issues and the transfers are the same. Quite a few titles have desaturated 3-D versions.
This could have been the Director's intent requiring two separate versions on disc. - Maybe the underlying reason why the 2D & 3D discs were initially sold/distributed separately, and difficult to compare? Glad with the protests I was ultimately given an option for the 2D addition.
Until the heads-up posts, I never found the need to check out the 2D version.

Using a direct-view (no filters) head mounted display, I eliminated 2D-3D differences that 3D glasses would cause and/or brightness levels a 2D to 3D mode change would cause. i.e. Both versions can be viewed without filters and without changing level settings on the same screens.
• Picked chapter 9 for comparisons, where the Wizard leaves the balloon in the water and goes onto dry land.

Findings:
The 2D version has a visibly softer focus, compared to the 3D version that has sharper detail throughout.
The 2D version has the brightness level lowered with visibly higher contrast. This effect causes the 2D's colors to bloom brighter and the shadows masking detail in darker image areas.
IMO, I much prefer the clearer view of the R & L 3D images viewed separately than the identical R & L images of the 2D disc version.
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection
Old 06-20-2014, 05:19 AM   #2198

Oct 2009

This is far more than just lowering brightness levels. The saturation levels between the 2 transfers is far too great. I doubt directors intent had anything to do with it. I am sure in the theater the 3D and 2D transfers were identical besides the stereoscopic affect. I saw the 3D only in theaters not the 2D but I would be highly surprised if they weren't identical.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:32 AM   #2199
Power Member

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD View Post
This is far more than just lowering brightness levels. The saturation levels between the 2 transfers is far too great. I doubt directors intent had anything to do with it. I am sure in the theater the 3D and 2D transfers were identical besides the stereoscopic affect. I saw the 3D only in theaters not the 2D but I would be highly surprised if they weren't identical.
Viewing both the 2D and 3D discs without filters and without changing level settings on the same-two screens, using the same player, produce different results.
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America