Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Community: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.08

Odds Against Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Isle of Dogs (Blu-ray)
$19.96

The Unnamable (Blu-ray)
$24.96
2 hrs ago
Rick and Morty: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Paul, Apostle of Christ (Blu-ray)
$19.99
12 hrs ago
Arrow: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (Blu-ray)
$11.99

The Purge: Election Year (Blu-ray)
$5.99

The Shape of Water (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Ghost World (Blu-ray)
$18.29
13 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 01-20-2010, 06:12 AM   #1

May 2009
New Zealand
Exclamation The Descent - Different Details

I just put 'The Descent' (Lionsgate US, Region Free), into BD-Info, and its coming back as MPEG-4 AVC. (Also confirmed with the BD60)

The database here says its MPEG-2.

Does anyone else have this version? does it mean the PQ is better than the MPEG-2 release?
Down Under Group: Sales and Trades
Old 01-20-2010, 06:23 AM   #2
Blu-ray Jedi

Feb 2009
District 13
Send a message via AIM to Batman1980

Not necessarily but I am kind of confused. One thing I will say is that for such an inexpensive release in the US, the Descent has an excellent transfer all the way around.
RIP Navster, you were someone I considered a friend and BD.com will always remember you.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:25 AM   #3

May 2009
New Zealand

I did some searching (what I should have done before posting I guess), and its being said that the original release was MPEG-4, before being switched over to MPEG-2 at some stage..
Old 01-20-2010, 06:51 AM   #4
Banned

Aug 2009
FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiGusto View Post
I did some searching (what I should have done before posting I guess), and its being said that the original release was MPEG-4, before being switched over to MPEG-2 at some stage..
Basically, Lionsgate released version a: AVC; lots of grain. At some point they silently replaced it with version b: mpeg2; DNR added. The U.S. blu-ray (both versions) features a color scheme that is radically different than any other release in the world (significantly brightened). The Australian and UK blu-rays are generally considered far superior. For more info refer to this epic thread over at avs forum. Have fun!

Last edited by Alkaline; 01-20-2010 at 06:56 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:26 AM   #5
Power Member

Nov 2007
Saginaw, Michigan

BD-60? Typo?

You should feel lucky that you have the AVC version. I'd rather have the DNR free version myself... Unfortunately I was one of the first couple to report the change over to MPEG2

Reportedly Lionsgate's AVC version wasn't freindly with all Blu-ray players, so maybe I did get lucky? .... That is what I would like to believe anyway
JVC DLA-RS40 w/003 lamp,DIY False-wall 125" acoustically transparent screen,Darbee Darblet,Sanyo PLV-Z2000 (gaming),7.1 DIYSoundGroup 1099 x3 LCR & Slanted Volt 6 rears x4,Onkyo TX-NR818,Emotiva LPA-1,Behringer EP4000 (x2),Sealed Stereo Integrity HT18"s (x8),Balanced MiniDSP,Cross·Spectrum UMIK-1,DIY Acoustic Treatments, Xbox One S (for future UHD 4K setup), PS3, Seiki SR4KP1 Region Free BDP,Toshiba HD-A1,Roku,Leather Theater seating,Dry bar,APC H15 power conditioner,Harmony Smart Control etc
Old 01-20-2010, 09:00 AM   #6

May 2009
New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkaline View Post
Basically, Lionsgate released version a: AVC; lots of grain. At some point they silently replaced it with version b: mpeg2; DNR added. The U.S. blu-ray (both versions) features a color scheme that is radically different than any other release in the world (significantly brightened). The Australian and UK blu-rays are generally considered far superior. For more info refer to this epic thread over at avs forum. Have fun!
Thanks for that info! I will have to do some comparisons of my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saginawjuggalo View Post
BD-60? Typo?

You should feel lucky that you have the AVC version. I'd rather have the DNR free version myself... Unfortunately I was one of the first couple to report the change over to MPEG2

Reportedly Lionsgate's AVC version wasn't freindly with all Blu-ray players, so maybe I did get lucky? .... That is what I would like to believe anyway
Sorry, I mean I tested it on my Panasonic DMP-BD60
Old 01-20-2010, 11:37 AM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009
Tulsa, OK (but don't hold it against me!)

I have the Australian release (for the film proper) and kept my MPEG-2 American BD for some bonus features that aren't on the Australian one. If you're a big fan, you cannot suffice with any of the U.S. releases.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:48 AM   #8
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

Long ago I rented the original (grainy ) US release.

More recently I bought the DNR US release for $10 at Walmart.

Of the 2 versions I prefer the DNR version. I like natural film grain as much as anyone can but looks like whom ever was in charge of cleaning this title up did a great job and I like the new transfer better.

Either way... It's not my favorite film or my favorite horror film so I'm not interested in tracking down the worlds "best" version of it.

Just as it is.. I wish all my Blu Rays had a transfer that good. It's one of the better $10 Walmart Blu Rays if you can find it.

I do consider myself a bit of a VideoPhile and I do have a projector and 72 inch wide screen and so on. But... of the 2 US releases I just prefer the grain scrubbed version better in this case.

-Brian
Old 01-20-2010, 12:12 PM   #9

Feb 2009
Michigan, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmmaker View Post
I have the Australian release (for the film proper) and kept my MPEG-2 American BD for some bonus features that aren't on the Australian one. If you're a big fan, you cannot suffice with any of the U.S. releases.
I agree this is an incredible release, as far as PQ. I own this Aussie release, the US MPEG2 and US AVC versions and I prefer the Aussie release.

There are also UK and German releases, but I don't know anything about them.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:04 PM   #10
Special Member

May 2008
Socal
-

Is there a different UPC # for both US releases? I'm not sure which I have
_____________ __________________________________________________ _____________
Pioneer KRP-600M; Sony VPL-HW40ES - 100'' Elite Tensioned Screen
Running Atmos 7.2.4; iRule on iPad Mini
Pioneer Elite SC-95; Emotiva Mini-x a-100; APC H10
Pioneer Elite Andrew Jones Atmos Speakers; Polk Monitor 60s (Side Surrounds); SVS PB-1000; Polk PSW110
Region free oppo BDP-83; Samsung BD-E5900 3D
Old 01-20-2010, 06:28 PM   #11

Jan 2010
Notts, UK

I own the MPEG 2 US release ($10 from amazon).

Whilst I look forward to one day owning a better copy as far as PQ goes, the inferior one still looks fantastic (imo) and for $10 is a no brainer considering the film is one of the greatest horrors of the last decade
Old 01-21-2010, 01:09 AM   #12
Expert Member

Nov 2008
Akron, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by domtheone View Post
I own the MPEG 2 US release ($10 from amazon).

Whilst I look forward to one day owning a better copy as far as PQ goes, the inferior one still looks fantastic (imo) and for $10 is a no brainer considering the film is one of the greatest horrors of the last decade
I have the MPEG-2 edition also ($10 bucks is a great price) and can't understand what all the criticism is about. I've watched it three times on my new 65" Panasonic plasma and it looks very, very nice. I guess I'm just not prone to watching for problems and just watching the film and letting it take me where I need to go.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:49 AM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewsjr View Post
I have the MPEG-2 edition also ($10 bucks is a great price) and can't understand what all the criticism is about. I've watched it three times on my new 65" Panasonic plasma and it looks very, very nice.
You're right; I can't imagine anyone would have a trace of a complaint about it...except...we've seen how the other half lives (the Australian release) and, when you have the two to compare and contrast, it's easy to see that the domestic releases have ample opportunity for improvement...
Old 01-21-2010, 10:47 AM   #14

May 2009
New Zealand

yeah but its its only a colouring issue, whats the big diff? check out Dawn of the Dead, it has different colour schemes between all three cuts/versions.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:54 AM   #15
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArieS View Post
Some players will tell you which video codec is being used (PS3).

But my Mpeg2 UPC is 031398205937.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:13 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiGusto View Post
yeah but its its only a colouring issue, whats the big diff?
The difference between accurate and inaccurate. Also, there are other differences (improved grain structure, no aliasing on the credits, etc.)...
Old 01-21-2010, 04:22 PM   #17
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArieS View Post
The UPC is the same for either release. I have the MPEG2 version and am happy with it. I paid $10 at Wal-Mart so paying the heftier price for the Aussie disc is not worth it.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:27 AM   #18

Jun 2010

hey, I know this thread is kinda old but after watching the second one I decided I should grab both of these on bluray. I noticed there's a VC-1 / DTS-HD MA 6.1 version also
anyone know how this one stacks up against the others?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America