Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$55.95
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Kingpin (Blu-ray)
$14.39
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.95
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Red Cliff Part I & II (Blu-ray)
$13.39
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.91
McLintock! (Blu-ray)
$10.20
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$199.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 Limited Edition (Blu-ray)
$51.79
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 10-22-2014, 10:14 AM   #1241

Aug 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin View Post
There was another dvd comparison on capsaholic but their page has vanished for some reason. The dvd which had the warmer colours in that comparison was the non-special edition version.
AKA the non-anamorphic Laserdisc master used for the 1996 THX-Laserdisc. They ported that master over on the first DVD Release in 1999 (Trilogy Boxset).

Last edited by ForceFreak; 10-22-2014 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:04 PM   #1242
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Exactly right, those THX LD transfers for 1 and 2 were orangey as ****, and even the BD versions still carry a slightly warmer cast whereas the remastered DCP of DH1 I saw last year had a more neutral look, with pinker skin tones and more vibrant reds and blues.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:38 AM   #1243
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin View Post
Yes for DH2 see this comparison:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/comparisons.../c_d/diehard2/

It's the middle one of the three screenshots.

There was another dvd comparison on capsaholic but their page has vanished for some reason. The dvd which had the warmer colours in that comparison was the non-special edition version.
I sure as hell won't be buying the THX-Laserdisc or the first pressing of the DVD which has the LD transfer ported over that's for sure. The colours for that LD non-anamorphic print are even warmer and flatter then the BD, and combined with the low resolution, it really has no redeeming factors whats so ever. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Exactly right, those THX LD transfers for 1 and 2 were orangey as ****, and even the BD versions still carry a slightly warmer cast whereas the remastered DCP of DH1 I saw last year had a more neutral look, with pinker skin tones and more vibrant reds and blues.
To be honest I didn't notice much of a issue with the BD of Die Hard, it looked pretty solid to my eyes but no doubt that DCP you saw was much improved. Die Hard 3 could look a lot better as well yes, but even so I don't have a issue with that BD either, but I know a lot of people do. I just simply hate the BD of Die Hard 2 so much. It's easily the worst of the 3 transfers to BD simply because of the colours which stick out like a sore thumb compared to the others.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:38 AM   #1244
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Seattle, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-21 View Post
To be honest I didn't notice much of a issue with the BD of Die Hard, it looked pretty solid to my eyes but no doubt that DCP you saw was much improved.
Actually, it was hardest to tell with Die Hard. The Blu-ray looks decent and when you're watching it in a theater, you don't necessarily know about the real nuances of the image, like the grain structure or whether the depth of the image is just how big it is vs. the image actually being better. One of the only reasons I knew it was the improved DCP is I had seen a DCP of it in mid-to-late 2012, and noticed aliasing on the credits, which was now gone.

The three original films were each more visibly improved than the last. The colors in Die Hard With a Vengeance really popped and all that harshness was replaced by pleasing, natural-looking detail.
DVDTalk Blu-ray and DVD Critic | facebook | Blu-rays and DVDs (click the tab to switch) | e-mail me | Twitter
Old 10-23-2014, 10:34 AM   #1245

Sep 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-21 View Post
I sure as hell won't be buying the THX-Laserdisc or the first pressing of the DVD which has the LD transfer ported over that's for sure. The colours for that LD non-anamorphic print are even warmer and flatter then the BD, and combined with the low resolution, it really has no redeeming factors whats so ever. Thanks for the heads up.

To be honest I didn't notice much of a issue with the BD of Die Hard, it looked pretty solid to my eyes but no doubt that DCP you saw was much improved. Die Hard 3 could look a lot better as well yes, but even so I don't have a issue with that BD either, but I know a lot of people do. I just simply hate the BD of Die Hard 2 so much. It's easily the worst of the 3 transfers to BD simply because of the colours which stick out like a sore thumb compared to the others.
One of the benefits of the first pressing DVD is the sound mix. From memory there is a 2 channel stereo mix along with the 5.1 mix, and the 2 channel stereo mix has really great dynamic range throughout. Again, it might be sourced from the LD, which would explain the difference.
Panasonic TX-P50GT30B, Sony STR-DH810, Sony BDP-S480
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America