Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Hunt (Blu-ray)
$11.49
Planet of the Vampires (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Old School (Blu-ray)
$5.20
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$199.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Lifeforce (Blu-ray)
$14.59
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.92
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 05-08-2014, 06:19 PM   #281
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rz_Samurai View Post
Last film i was really impressed with was Prometheus!
Prometheus was eye candy, but that's about it. The movie itself was a hot mess.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:55 PM   #282
Special Member

Feb 2008
Southern NJ

I've been "WOWED" a lot recently actually! With Pacific Rim....Oblivion....& Gravity 3D
My Gear:
Sony VPL-VW95ES 3D Projector 1080P
Elite Lunette 115" 2.35.1 Curved screen
Denon 3313CI Reciever
Klipsch RB-61 II Home Theater 7.1 System
Sony BDPS590 3D Blu-ray player
Sony PS4 500GB
Harmony 1000 Touch Screen Remote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:17 PM   #283

Jul 2013

Star Trek: Enterprise Season 4.
My Digital Codes will not be sold or given away. Buy your own Blu Rays.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:26 PM   #284
Power Member

Aug 2010

This week, it was the Todd/AO Oklahoma. Every week a new wOW!
Old 05-09-2014, 02:35 AM   #285
Special Member

Nov 2007

Spider-man Mi4K
Old 05-09-2014, 03:46 AM   #286
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012
Georgia

I watched Gone with the Wind yesterday, and the picture quality made my jaw hit the floor.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:36 AM   #287
Suspended

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Owl View Post
I watched Gone with the Wind yesterday, and the picture quality made my jaw hit the floor.
I'm going with two fairly recent films: Speed Racer and the imagiarium of Dr Parnassas.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:31 AM   #288
Expert Member

Mar 2010

last week: The Todd-AO "Oklahoma!" from Fox. . . WOW!
Old 05-09-2014, 07:57 AM   #289
Expert Member

Jun 2009
Netherlands

First wow came from Rambo. The sound is phenomenal.
Second wow was Sunshine. Again the sound was awesome.
Years later it was Prometheus. Video, audio, 3D all execellent and a crapload of bonus features.
And Oblivion wowed me for the soundtrack combined with the beautiful imagery.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:12 AM   #290
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2011
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexias_dad View Post
Word.
Word it brother hood of man
Currently: Playing:Wolfenstein The New Order/Tomb Raider The Definitive Edition/Metro Redux/Destiny/The Evil Within
Old 05-09-2014, 01:28 PM   #291
Suspended

Jan 2013
UK, south

Terminator (remastered). I was blown away by every detailed shot of that disc. Superb restoration work. The sound was great, too.

Somebody mentioned The Trouble With Harry.I couldn't stand the film BUT it does look brilliant. It's arguably the best looking of all the films in the Masterpiece collection. Some may say reference quality.

Audio wow factor has to be Dredd. My system is dated and doesn't even do lossless, yet that film turns it into some sort of super AV machine.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:33 PM   #292
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by theprestige85 View Post
Terminator (remastered). I was blown away by every detailed shot of that disc. Superb restoration work. The sound was great, too.

Somebody mentioned The Trouble With Harry.I couldn't stand the film BUT it does look brilliant. It's arguably the best looking of all the films in the Masterpiece collection. Some may say reference quality.

Audio wow factor has to be Dredd. My system is dated and doesn't even do lossless, yet that film turns it into some sort of super AV machine.
you can thank Hitchcock and his decision to shoot Trouble with Harry in VistaVision - horizontal 35mm yields greater sharpness and color reproduction - not quite 70mm but pretty damn close. Some shots during the movie on the bluray look like you're looking through a window.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:40 PM   #293
Suspended

Jan 2013
UK, south

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstar View Post
you can thank Hitchcock and his decision to shoot Trouble with Harry in VistaVision - horizontal 35mm yields greater sharpness and color reproduction - not quite 70mm but pretty damn close. Some shots during the movie on the bluray look like you're looking through a window.
Yeah, didn't Hitchcock shoot a lot of his 50's films inn VistaVision? I don't think anything can beat IMAX photography at the moment. That's the one to beat. Large format filmmaking should be the norm for blockbusters. Not 3D and the like.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:43 PM   #294
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Yeah, didn't Hitchcock shoot a lot of his 50's films inn VistaVision? I don't think anything can beat IMAX photography at the moment. That's the one to beat. Large format filmmaking should be the norm for blockbusters. Not 3D and the like.
while sadly 70mm is rare (let alone theaters that can present it as such) - 'Samsara' and 'The Master' showed why the format shouldn't just up and die - Nolan should have filmed the entire 'Interstellar' as such (the DCP and future bluray would have looked stunning).

in terms of blurays that recently impressed - I'd have to say the Japanese bluray of Miyazaki's Porco Rosso - the colors and sharpness just seared the eyes with such intensity.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:07 PM   #295
Suspended

Jan 2013
UK, south

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstar View Post
while sadly 70mm is rare (let alone theaters that can present it as such) - 'Samsara' and 'The Master' showed why the format shouldn't just up and die - Nolan should have filmed the entire 'Interstellar' as such (the DCP and future bluray would have looked stunning).
Yeah, completely agree with you. It's such a powerful and immersive format that you'd think more studios and filmmakers would go out of their way to shoot with it. Interstellar isn't entirely shot on IMAX, true, but I have it on good authority that a majority of it is shot on IMAX, even more than The Dark Knight Rises, and that had a good amount, so it's still a step up and i'll be there at my IMAX on opening night for what's, sadly, likely to be the last IMAX film shot.

I have noticed that 16mm is making a comeback and is pretty strong these days, though. Even the new Spiderman film was shot on film. The digital revolution isn't dominating as much as people think.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:02 PM   #296

Oct 2012

Quote:

I have noticed that 16mm is making a comeback and is pretty strong these days, though. Even the new Spiderman film was shot on film. The digital revolution isn't dominating as much as people think.
The last BD I saw sourced from 16mm was Beasts of the Southern Wild. The look complimented the tone of the film perfectly.

As far as being recently "wowed" I'd have to say The Hobbit: DoS. I've been purchasing a lot of older films and bargain bin titles with good to average A/V quality lately, I hadn't watched a stellar new release in awhile prior.
Thanks given by:
theprestige85 (05-09-2014)
Old 05-09-2014, 04:32 PM   #297
Suspended

Jan 2013
UK, south

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGDANGER View Post
The last BD I saw sourced from 16mm was Beasts of the Southern Wild. The look complimented the tone of the film perfectly.

As far as being recently "wowed" I'd have to say The Hobbit: DoS. I've been purchasing a lot of older films and bargain bin titles with good to average A/V quality lately, I hadn't watched a stellar new release in awhile prior.
Haven't seen Beasts yet but it sounds interesting. Hurt Locker makes a good looking 16mm blu ray.

I know what you mean about wanting to watch a new release and have the full benefits of 1080p and good audio come into play. At times I too find myself tempted to just buy films like Pacific Rim and the like just to show off to my flatmate

I might check out Obvlion though. Everyone says that's a great showcase blu ray and it at least sounds like it's something I could potentially enjoy despite having no urges to see it.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:51 PM   #298
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Yeah, completely agree with you. It's such a powerful and immersive format that you'd think more studios and filmmakers would go out of their way to shoot with it. Interstellar isn't entirely shot on IMAX, true, but I have it on good authority that a majority of it is shot on IMAX, even more than The Dark Knight Rises, and that had a good amount, so it's still a step up and i'll be there at my IMAX on opening night for what's, sadly, likely to be the last IMAX film shot.

yes, while the story has it's flaws, the movie is breathtaking to watch in terms of the colors - the saturation levels are rich and have this image *pop* to them - I'd love to see an actual 4K DCP instead of the 2D 3D DCP to compare brightness and clarity.

I was watching the 'Focus Points' earlier on the making of Pacific Rim and it really didn't dawn on me til after watching the doc and then the movie how varied the color palette is used and gives the film it's multitude schemes and moods - the sharpness of the disc is amazing in that some scenes, it looks like some of the characters actually might step out of the TV.

Last edited by Dubstar; 05-09-2014 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:12 PM   #299
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
UK

Recently been wowed by Anchorman 2.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America