Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Resident Evil Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$99.99
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$71.99
Star Trek Enterprise: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$77.99
Independence Day: Resurgence (Blu-ray)
$10.99
Essential Holiday Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Before Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$65.59
Downton Abbey: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$73.98
The Hunger Games 4-Film Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Ben-Hur (Blu-ray)
$19.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-21-2016, 06:19 PM   #261

Oct 2007
Quincy, MA

Goldeneye is now free on Amazon Prime Video. Has anyone taken a look to see if it's the same transfer?
Old 03-21-2016, 06:21 PM   #262
Blu-ray Baron

Dec 2008
US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike View Post
It's a grainy, grainy film.
Predator levels, so piss off everyone? Or piss off whiners on a message board? Easy choice
I guess "get it right the first time" wasn't an option
Top 25 | Aliens | Amadeus | Annie Hall | Casablanca | Chinatown | The Dark Knight | Days of Thunder | Die Hard | Drive | Fargo | The Fugitive | The Godfather, Part II | Goldfinger | Goodfellas | Lawrence of Arabia | The Lord of the Rings | Psycho | Pulp Fiction | Raiders of the Lost Ark | The Shining | The Silence of the Lambs | Star Wars | The Sting | Unforgiven | Zodiac | 2016 Movie Rankings |
Old 03-21-2016, 06:24 PM   #263
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2010
United States
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan123 View Post
Goldeneye is now free on Amazon Prime Video. Has anyone taken a look to see if it's the same transfer?
Seeing that you own the disc and have access to Prime, take a look and let us know. I quit Amazon years ago otherwise I'd do it myself.
A fan of The Classics and Genre Trash.
Thanks given by:
applemac (03-22-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 06:38 PM   #264

May 2015

Quote:
It's a grainy, grainy film.
Predator levels
Why would it be? It's not shot in jungle on some fast 80s stock.

It's anamorphic and on EXR stocks (also on the slower ones). It should look pretty much like a new movie unless they went after some Eyes Wide Shut effect which I find hard to believe.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:56 PM   #265
Banned

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trax-3 View Post
Why would it be? It's not shot in jungle on some fast 80s stock.

It's anamorphic and on EXR stocks (also on the slower ones). It should look pretty much like a new movie unless they went after some Eyes Wide Shut effect which I find hard to believe.
I have the 1080p unmolested non DNR cropped master and it is grainy
Old 03-31-2016, 03:33 PM   #266

Oct 2007
Quincy, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilboyblu View Post
Seeing that you own the disc and have access to Prime, take a look and let us know. I quit Amazon years ago otherwise I'd do it myself.
It is the same transfer, sadly.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:18 AM   #267
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
Youngstown, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion138 View Post
The Living Daylights transfer is problematic in its own ways, but the GoldenEye transfer is just plain ugly. I can squint at the Living Daylights transfer and it looks okay...GoldenEye is an eyesore unless I clamp my eyes shut and just don't look at it.
And the audio, is every bit as lousy as the picture quality.
BenQ W1080ST DLP 3D Projector
Sony BDP-S5200 3D Blu-ray Player
Onkyo TX-RZ1100 Dolby Atmos/DTS:X (9 Channel) Receiver
Pioneer SP‑T22A‑LR Dolby Atmos Enabled Speaker Module x 4
Pioneer SP-C22 Center Channel Speaker
Pioneer SP-FS52 Floor Standing Speaker x 4
PSA XS15se Subwoofer x 4
Crowson Shadow-8 Motion Actuator (T108SS) x 2 and Crowson D-501 Tactile Motion Amplifier
Old 08-31-2016, 08:26 AM   #268

Jan 2011

I have all the editions of GE and have long done comparisons. Here's my two cents:

The BD uses the LD master or its source at a higher generation, and then tweaks it some. This would also explain the baked in DNR, and why they probably added more.
The LD master was the pinnacle of the format at the time and recycled for the DVD, which was then ported as the SE. Additionally, the DVD doesn't port itself very well, leaving the LD a better and more balanced presentation.
The BD is detailed enough, but nowhere near what it should be. The color and contrast is better than the extreme darkness Lowry had gone to, and a tad better I think than the video-y look of the old DVD but still not quite correct.
I have the cropped Lowry master on UE and HDTV cap, and while it has visible grain and far better detail, the coloring is way off and the film is far too dark.

Audio wise, now that I have the DTS LD, here's how it stacks up:
The heavy LFE Dolby mix originated on the LD. It is present on both ac3 and Surround PCM matrix tracks, and also would up on the original DVD/SE port. Since it is also found on the matrixed audio it led me to wonder if Dolby merely cooked it to seem more impactful in theaters, as this was during the sound wars days of the 90's where the formats were trying to outdo each other.
The UE seems like they remixed the sound maybe a very slight bit in terms of levels otherwise the Dolby and DTS sound identical. No heavy LFE on either.
The DTS LD is perfect, and finally made me realize how much the old heavy LFE mix had been obscuring the film. Now the bass is properly controlled but still present in a lossless mix.(16bit/1509kbps) And when comparing this to the BD HDMA, you find that they're virtually identical, but again there may be a few tiny level differences as I for some reason prefer the DTS LD as sounding slightly better.

I love this mix and its inherent deficiencies. Why anyone in this thread would find any version as sounding bad is beyond me. The BD audio is just about what it should be. Heck, all copies sound good. Even the matrixed PCM is a good track, mixed down from the discrete 5.1.

So what I'm saying is...I think I choose LD. On my xbr960 via LX-900 player, it's about the best I've seen of the format. Sure the BD is technically better, but with this I know the flaws of the format and I also know that neither picture or sound has been tinkered with.
Or this could just be my love of LD and old tech blabbering on.
Thanks given by:
Cabanon (11-10-2016), kidglov3s (08-31-2016)
Old 08-31-2016, 10:20 AM   #269
Blu-ray Archduke

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

The old 5.1 DD mix for GoldenEye literally broke my sub back in the day, the LFE was so insanely loud.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America