Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Hunt (Blu-ray)
$14.99
10 Cloverfield Lane (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Salem's Lot (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Creed (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Star Trek: The Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$39.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Orphan Black: Season Four (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Point Break (Blu-ray)
$6.99
High Noon (Blu-ray)
$16.99
London Has Fallen (Blu-ray)
$9.99
13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Blu-ray)
$15.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 07-09-2016, 08:06 PM   #14541
Blu-ray Prince

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
It just gets weird when you make them a prequel trilogy to the LOTR movies. Many would say if you're doing that you should match the tone and look, which they certainly did NOT. I think that is a big source of the divide among fans on the Hobbit movies' worth.

Other than too much CGI I quite liked them overall.
Thing is Velvet, the first Hobbit is very much like the book in feel and tone (I know your eyes glaze over whenever people mention source material, stay with me here!) but after that things get darker and veer closer than not to LOTR territory with all the additions from the Appendices. I know you don't dig how the look changes from Hobbit to LOTR either, but it's still Peter Jackson behind the lens so there's a continuity in style and design aesthetic, if not the specific capture medium.

On my last rewatch of the whole thing I thought they fit together brilliantly for not being the same thing from first movie to last, it's a progression from a lighter, jauntier Hobbit adventure (for which the whimsy of all dat CG fits nicely IMO, I think it looks fab) into the grittier-looking winner-take-all stakes of LOTR.
Thanks given by:
imsounoriginal (07-10-2016)
Old 07-11-2016, 01:18 AM   #14542
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Thing is Velvet, the first Hobbit is very much like the book in feel and tone (I know your eyes glaze over whenever people mention source material, stay with me here!) but after that things get darker and veer closer than not to LOTR territory with all the additions from the Appendices. I know you don't dig how the look changes from Hobbit to LOTR either, but it's still Peter Jackson behind the lens so there's a continuity in style and design aesthetic, if not the specific capture medium.

On my last rewatch of the whole thing I thought they fit together brilliantly for not being the same thing from first movie to last, it's a progression from a lighter, jauntier Hobbit adventure (for which the whimsy of all dat CG fits nicely IMO, I think it looks fab) into the grittier-looking winner-take-all stakes of LOTR.
I'm not really criticizing the tone. Other than the fat dwarf barrel thing none of it really bothers me, and even that moment wouldn't bother me in a different movie. I think the issue for a lot of people is it's not a PERFECT match for the book and not a PERFECT match to the LOTR movies, it's something in-between and contorted to try and satisfy both. It worked for you, it didn't work for others.

I've noticed in movies that a lot of script/tone/direction problems stem from trying to satisfy everyone out there instead of picking an audience and style and focusing on it. I think that was a big issue with the Hobbit movies, even if you (and mostly I) enjoy them anyway. If they had fully devoted to being one (Del Toro children's fantasy) or the other (PJ makes a LOTR prequel trilogy) they likely would have been more highly regarded by that audience.
Thanks given by:
Biggiesized (07-13-2016)
Old 07-11-2016, 01:21 PM   #14543
Special Member

Oct 2010
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcrk View Post
But yeah I'm surprised there haven't been any announcements for an all-inclusive set of all six movies. Not that it matters because I have all the releases already, but a big set containing it all would be cool.
That set would be humongous!! I have the Theatrical & the Extended movies for both LOTR and The Hobbit (as many here I presume), and it's lots of discs! I prefer them separated, it's more easy to handle IMO.

I will probably double-dip for both Hobbit trilogy sets though, it's more compact compared to individual releases.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:25 PM   #14544
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2008
US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsoth View Post
That set would be humongous!! I have the Theatrical & the Extended movies for both LOTR and The Hobbit (as many here I presume), and it's lots of discs! I prefer them separated, it's more easy to handle IMO.

I will probably double-dip for both Hobbit trilogy sets though, it's more compact compared to individual releases.
Based on how they've done things so far, it'll probably be two 6-movie sets, one theatrical and one extended. Doubt they'd combine both together a la Harry Potter mega-set but that'd be kinda cool if they did. And for it to be really comprehensive it'd have to have Blu-rays, 3D BDs, and probably UHDs for all of them, plus all the bonus discs, so it'd be massive.
Top 25 | Aliens | Amadeus | Annie Hall | Casablanca | Chinatown | The Dark Knight | Days of Thunder | Die Hard | Drive | Fargo | The Fugitive | The Godfather, Part II | Goldfinger | Goodfellas | Lawrence of Arabia | The Lord of the Rings | Psycho | Pulp Fiction | Raiders of the Lost Ark | The Shining | The Silence of the Lambs | Star Wars | The Sting | Unforgiven | Zodiac | 2016 Movie Rankings |
Old 07-11-2016, 01:46 PM   #14545
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2012
Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsounoriginal View Post
Based on how they've done things so far, it'll probably be two 6-movie sets, one theatrical and one extended. Doubt they'd combine both together a la Harry Potter mega-set but that'd be kinda cool if they did. And for it to be really comprehensive it'd have to have Blu-rays, 3D BDs, and probably UHDs for all of them, plus all the bonus discs, so it'd be massive.
Massive plus expensive as feck. I'd prefer separate TC and EE sets as I only really want the extended versions anyway.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:48 PM   #14546
Special Member

Oct 2010
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaGodzilla View Post
Massive plus expensive as feck. I'd prefer separate TC and EE sets as I only really want the extended versions anyway.
The only reason I have the Theatrical cuts, really, is for the bonus features. None of these are on the Extended editions, and some are very interesting!
Old 07-11-2016, 01:56 PM   #14547
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2008
US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaGodzilla View Post
I'm screwed either way; I want theatrical LOTR but extended Hobbits (not that I plan on rebuying these movies til UHD, anyway)
Top 25 | Aliens | Amadeus | Annie Hall | Casablanca | Chinatown | The Dark Knight | Days of Thunder | Die Hard | Drive | Fargo | The Fugitive | The Godfather, Part II | Goldfinger | Goodfellas | Lawrence of Arabia | The Lord of the Rings | Psycho | Pulp Fiction | Raiders of the Lost Ark | The Shining | The Silence of the Lambs | Star Wars | The Sting | Unforgiven | Zodiac | 2016 Movie Rankings |
Old 07-11-2016, 01:58 PM   #14548
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsoth View Post
The only reason I have the Theatrical cuts, really, is for the bonus features. None of these are on the Extended editions, and some are very interesting!
Same here. I was able to grab the steelbooks for less than $10 each.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:00 PM   #14549
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Columbia, MD

I have them all, including the UK Hobbit EE DVDs that continued the same brilliant packaging as the LotR EE DVDs.
So picking up a great big boxed set will be a definite purchase for me!
Old 07-11-2016, 04:13 PM   #14550
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009
Aylmer, Quebec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

The first time I saw The Hobbit, I didn't like it much. After I put it in my head that it wasn't LOTR and watched it again, I really enjoyed it (especially the extended of part 2 and 3).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickah88 View Post
I have them all, including the UK Hobbit EE DVDs that continued the same brilliant packaging as the LotR EE DVDs.
So picking up a great big boxed set will be a definite purchase for me!
I need a UHD of all 6 movies in their extended forms with ATMOS. Then I can die a happy man.
JVC DLA-RS400, Elunevision 112" Reference screen, Marantz AV8802a Pre/Pro, NAD M25 amp, Anthem PVA-4, 4x Paradigm CI Elite E80-R ceiling speakers, Paradigm Studio 60 v5, Paradigm Studio 20 v5, Paradigm Prestige 15B, Paradigm Studio CC-690 v5, Paradigm Studio Sub12 X 2, Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD player, Richard Gray 1200c Custom power conditioner.

My collectibles collection and HT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVtU3KNlZUU
Old 07-11-2016, 04:33 PM   #14551

Apr 2014

The Hobbit trilogy is good in my opinion. Desolation of Smaug was just one better climax away from being Lord of the Rings level. Thought it was fantastic up until that silly climax where they tried to kill the dragon. If they just removed that scene and put the scene where the dragon attacks Laketown and Bard kills it as the climax. DOS would be on part with LOTR IMO
Old 07-11-2016, 09:52 PM   #14552
Special Member

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1924 View Post
The Hobbit trilogy is good in my opinion. Desolation of Smaug was just one better climax away from being Lord of the Rings level. Thought it was fantastic up until that silly climax where they tried to kill the dragon. If they just removed that scene and put the scene where the dragon attacks Laketown and Bard kills it as the climax. DOS would be on part with LOTR IMO
starting battle of 5 armies with the dragon being slayed was so anticlimactic , but yea DoS was definitely the best one.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:58 PM   #14553
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1924 View Post
Yeah totally, DoS is my favorite of the three and if it had the actual ending on it then it would have been even better. Take out a couple of the maybe TOO silly moments and I'd say it was a genuinely great film.
Thanks given by:
Biggiesized (07-13-2016)
Old 07-12-2016, 12:26 AM   #14554

Feb 2013
Southeastern Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Memphis View Post
What the hell else could they possibly milk? I mean, after 3 movies for The Hobbit!? There will be a complete box set. What else is there - new, remade trilogy movies to be later released on 9 or 12 BDs? New movies written "in the style of ..."?
There are more Tolkien books from this same franchise: I would think The Children of Hurin and parts of The Silmarillion would be very ideal to turn into film. Hell they could milk the Silmarillion for a decade. Nearly each chapter has enough to make a film out of. It's a very dense and in depth book that mentions lots of fighting and battles but doesn't go into extreme detail, so someone like Peter Jackson would take a 2 page war and make a 3 hour movie.

Right now only the rights to The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit were sold to make film adaptations. And rumor has it they may do some films based on some of the material alluded to in The Appendices portion of The Return of the King (it's essentially a timeline and brief history of Middle-earth) that's how they were able to adapt the Dol Guldur storyline in The Hobbit as well as the Azog character.

There is some material in there about Aragorn before LOTR as well as a lot of material about the War against the Witch-King which essentially led to the destruction of the Kingdom of Arnor, the Rangers were the remaining descendants of the Arnor kingdom.

In short terms, there is a lot left to milk.
Sir Christopher Lee: May 27th, 1922 - June 7th, 2015

Always Remembered, Never Forgotten!
Old 07-12-2016, 12:59 AM   #14555

Apr 2014

I would like another Tolkien film. I actually felt sad when the Hobbit trilogy ended
Old 07-12-2016, 03:02 AM   #14556
Special Member

Jul 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeFanatic007 View Post
as well as a lot of material about the War against the Witch-King which essentially led to the destruction of the Kingdom of Arnor, the Rangers were the remaining descendants of the Arnor kingdom.
Of course, the backstory of the Witch-King is now very different thanks to the Hobbit films, so that complicates things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeFanatic007
One of the Tolkien relatives actually appeared in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Extended Edition as one of the Rangers who bury the Witch-King. He throws the sword into the tomb, this was a flashback during the Gandalf/Beorn discussion in the woods.
I think a Tolkien descendant was also in ROTK as a soldier in Gondor.
MHOR CHN LCHT RRD. GU BIDNNG SHN FEHD RO FHUAR. GD J'DI CRRN SA TU NAF EUN OA. - Thon
Old 07-12-2016, 07:34 AM   #14557
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeFanatic007 View Post
[Show spoiler]There are more Tolkien books from this same franchise: I would think The Children of Hurin and parts of The Silmarillion would be very ideal to turn into film. Hell they could milk the Silmarillion for a decade. Nearly each chapter has enough to make a film out of. It's a very dense and in depth book that mentions lots of fighting and battles but doesn't go into extreme detail, so someone like Peter Jackson would take a 2 page war and make a 3 hour movie.

Right now only the rights to The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit were sold to make film adaptations. And rumor has it they may do some films based on some of the material alluded to in The Appendices portion of The Return of the King (it's essentially a timeline and brief history of Middle-earth) that's how they were able to adapt the Dol Guldur storyline in The Hobbit as well as the Azog character.

There is some material in there about Aragorn before LOTR as well as a lot of material about the War against the Witch-King which essentially led to the destruction of the Kingdom of Arnor, the Rangers were the remaining descendants of the Arnor kingdom.

In short terms, there is a lot left to milk.
Yeah, I've got the books. Being aware of that stuff is why I said "in the style of". None of that stuff is Tolkien, not even The Silmarillion - not as far as being a "story" or a great creation, much less a work of art. Granted, the timeline alone could be milked forever, but that happens with many series (writing credits for "characters created by"), but it's all BS. The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings were his master creations, The Silmarillion was merely a compendium of notes and sketches, etc. written along the way - interesting in a scholarly sense only. Creating more movies from any of that stuff will definitely be "in the style of" and "characters created by" BS. Hey, for some it'll be a party. Mazel tov.

EDIT : Hey, they never covered The Scouring of The Shire. Throw in a few flashbacks and thatís a whole movie right there.
Cop : Just let me handle the questioning, okay? I mean, itís what I do for a living. Thereís gotta be a method to it. Itís psychology. You get him
to lower his guard - one sentence at a time, build a rhythm. Itís a lot like music.
Killer : Break his ****iní legs, heíll give ya a Who concert.

You can only have too much ammo if you're on fire or swimming.

Digital Copies Available. PM Me For A List.

Last edited by Early Memphis; 07-12-2016 at 07:46 AM.
Old 08-08-2016, 04:41 PM   #14558

Dec 2014
SE Mass, USA, Earth

So... I have searched around here, there, and everywhere, but have failed to find out if there is a set available of the 3 films in the trilogy with the extended versions in 3D. My poor search skills got me bupkiss. Does such an animal exist?
Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST30 55-Inch 1080p 3D Plasma HDTV TV
Panasonic DMP-BDT360 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Panasonic DMP-BDT215 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Yamaha RX-V757 Receiver, Cambridge Soundworks Towers, JBL center, and assorted other speakers for 7.1
Old 08-08-2016, 04:45 PM   #14559
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
So... I have searched around here, there, and everywhere, but have failed to find out if there is a set available of the 3 films in the trilogy with the extended versions in 3D. My poor search skills got me bupkiss. Does such an animal exist?
The LOTR trilogy does not exist in 3D on BD, theatrical or extended.
Old 08-08-2016, 04:51 PM   #14560

Dec 2014
SE Mass, USA, Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
The LOTR trilogy does not exist in 3D on BD, theatrical or extended.
Bummer.
Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST30 55-Inch 1080p 3D Plasma HDTV TV
Panasonic DMP-BDT360 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Panasonic DMP-BDT215 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Yamaha RX-V757 Receiver, Cambridge Soundworks Towers, JBL center, and assorted other speakers for 7.1
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America