COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Paul McCartney & Wings: Rockshow (Blu-ray)
$15.88
Y Tu Mamá También (Blu-ray)
$19.99
All That Jazz (Blu-ray)
$24.46
Okami-San & Her Seven Companions: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99
Ministry of Fear (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Other Woman (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Archer: The Complete Season Three (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Picnic at Hanging Rock (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sons of Anarchy: Season Six (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Dream Theater: Breaking the Fourth Wall (Blu-ray)
$16.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Great Expectations (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Like Someone in Love (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Love Streams (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 08-25-2014, 01:22 PM   #441
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbloggs View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the next movie featured 'The Borg' or 'Q' in the story line. I wish they would make new TV series.
Well, they've done TOS' signature villain, they might as well go after TNG's one too.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:06 PM   #442
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2012
Oklahoma

I am for The Borg assimilating everyone on the Enterprise and then rebooting the series again with a competent director and writers.
George Lucas didn't rape your childhood, he did however ruin Star Wars.
Thanks given by:
sarah_wentworth (08-26-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 04:55 PM   #443
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
The Jungle Room

It's best now just to let this Trek series die and maybe in 10 years do a total reboot(unlike Spiderman that was rebooted way too soon) of the franchise the proper way. Sad though that they had to perfect cast and wasted it.
BD Wantlist: 1. Le Samouraï 2. Ikiru 3. Nights of Cabiria 4. La Strada 5. The Burbs 6. Murder By Death 7. Hooper 8. The Abyss 9. True Lies 10. The Little Princess 11. Love Affair (1994) 12. Into the Night 13. The Remains of the Day 14. The Gumball Rally 15. The Magnificent Ambersons 16. Urban Cowboy 17. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance 18. Blame it on Rio 19. Under the Rainbow 20. The Pirate Movie

A Guide to Film Noir Genre ~ Roger Ebert
Old 08-25-2014, 07:40 PM   #444
Power Member

Aug 2012

What I thought they should have done was just continue after Into Darkness with a television series exploring the all new five year mission. They could have done five seasons, one for each mission, and even recast the entire thing, allowing for the movie actors to go their own way without having to worry about commiting and recasting later within the movie series -- because I'm not sure all the actors want continue making the movies anyway.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:36 PM   #445
Special Member

Jan 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_ME View Post
Most of them, yes. But for the longest time, the most successful Star Trek flick was The Voyage Home which did not feature any action(unless you count a comical chase scene through a hospital) and didn't even have a villain. Granted, it did rely on the time travel plot device and was far more humorous than any other Trek film, but it did prove that you don't need action sequences or a scenery-chewing heavy like Ricardo Montalban's Khan in order to appeal to a wider audience.
Yeah but Voyage Home became a mainstream success due to comedy. The other big box office earners were mainstream successes due to action. At the end of the day if you're making a big effects movie you need to court mainstream viewers, that's just the realities of movie making. I can't fault the reboots for courting non-Trekkies because every movie would, someway.

I can fault them for having horrible scripts though, which Into Darkness had.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:52 PM   #446
Power Member

Sep 2011
Calgary, AB, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Well, they've done TOS' signature villain, they might as well go after TNG's one too.

I say do the Gorn, like in the video game. If done correctly, could have an Aliens vibe to it.

"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and doughnuts. We wanted strong drink." -Raoul Duke, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Old 08-25-2014, 10:06 PM   #447

Jun 2014
canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_ME View Post
Most of them, yes. But for the longest time, the most successful Star Trek flick was The Voyage Home which did not feature any action(unless you count a comical chase scene through a hospital) and didn't even have a villain. Granted, it did rely on the time travel plot device and was far more humorous than any other Trek film, but it did prove that you don't need action sequences or a scenery-chewing heavy like Ricardo Montalban's Khan in order to appeal to a wider audience.
Wrath of Khan is a decent movie but 'The Voyage Home' and 'The Undiscovered Country' are far better in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Canuck View Post
I say do the Gorn, like in the video game. If done correctly, could have an Aliens vibe to it.

STAR TREK: THE VIDEO GAME -- Shatner vs. Gorn Trailer - YouTube
its nice to see the Gorn again
Old 08-25-2014, 10:33 PM   #448
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2010
New Zealand

http://www.startrekaxanar.com/

Star Trek Axanar

this fan made movie looks tremendous. looks to combine the aesthetics of the old and new. due for release next year.

synopsis

"Axanar” takes place 21 years before the events of “Where no Man Has Gone Before”, the first Kirk episode of the original Star Trek. Axanar is the story of Garth of Izar, the legendary Starfleet captain who is Captain Kirk’s hero. Kirk himself called Garth the model for all future Starfleet Officers. Garth charted more planets than any other Captain and was the hero of the Battle of Axanar, the story of which is required reading at the academy. This is that story.

“Axanar” tells the story of Garth and his crew during the Four Years War, the war with the Klingon Empire that almost tore the Federation apart. Garth’s victory at Axanar solidified the Federation and allowed it to become the entity we know in Kirk’s time.

It is the year 2245 and the war with the Klingons ends here.
"

source
http://www.startrekaxanar.com/the-story/

-----------------------------------------------------

I'd like for at least 2 more trek movies to flesh out the jj verse a little bit more. television program wouldn't go amiss either.
"I don't always herdy dur mur flerpty floopin...

But when I do, I yer der schmer dor her der foomty, der shoopin flerpty dur"

The Swedish Chef!.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:30 AM   #449
Power Member

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
To be fair the movies were always more action focused other than the original. If we want to see "real" Trek again we'll probably need a new TV series.
Well, there is also Star Trek IV which pretty much avoids a "heavy". Huge hit in it's day. I don't mind action but mix it up with some interesting ideas that work. And earn the action. I love the build up of the first attack in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. Some suspense before the action would be nice. Contemporary writers and directors seem to have forgotten that build ups to an action scene can ultimately make the sequence more effective but they too busy worrying about the pace. Slow build ups and than fast moving action can make for terrific cinema.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:33 AM   #450
Special Member

Jan 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo68 View Post
Well, there is also Star Trek IV which pretty much avoids a "heavy". Huge hit in it's day. I don't mind action but mix it up with some interesting ideas that work. And earn the action. I love the build up of the first attack in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. Some suspense before the action would be nice. Contemporary writers and directors seem to have forgotten that build ups to an action scene can ultimately make the sequence more effective but they too busy worrying about the pace. Slow build ups and than fast moving action can make for terrific cinema.
It's how you make a mainstream blockbuster movie now, for better or worse. Voyage Home did it with humor, same thing. The movies, since the original, have never had the intelligent side of Trek from the shows. I doubt they ever will.

I wish the last two were better blockbusters, but that's just modern filmmaking, IMO.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:46 PM   #451
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Rouge View Post
http://www.startrekaxanar.com/

Star Trek Axanar

this fan made movie looks tremendous. looks to combine the aesthetics of the old and new. due for release next year.

synopsis

"Axanar” takes place 21 years before the events of “Where no Man Has Gone Before”, the first Kirk episode of the original Star Trek. Axanar is the story of Garth of Izar, the legendary Starfleet captain who is Captain Kirk’s hero. Kirk himself called Garth the model for all future Starfleet Officers. Garth charted more planets than any other Captain and was the hero of the Battle of Axanar, the story of which is required reading at the academy. This is that story.

“Axanar” tells the story of Garth and his crew during the Four Years War, the war with the Klingon Empire that almost tore the Federation apart. Garth’s victory at Axanar solidified the Federation and allowed it to become the entity we know in Kirk’s time.

It is the year 2245 and the war with the Klingons ends here.
"

source
http://www.startrekaxanar.com/the-story/

-----------------------------------------------------

I'd like for at least 2 more trek movies to flesh out the jj verse a little bit more. television program wouldn't go amiss either.
That looks amazing indeed, the prelude is something to behold, truly way beyond what you'd expect from a fan made film (only beef for me: Hatch as the Klingon Chancellor. I do like him in general, but would have expected someone with a much deeper/ rougher voice for that specific role).

I can't wait to see the final project

Time is the School in Which We Learn
Time is the Fire in Which We Burn

Delmore Schwartz (1913-1966)
Old 08-26-2014, 04:21 PM   #452
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
It wouldn't surprise me in the least. If I remember right, they were talking Khan right after the first film was released but denied he was in the next film up until it was released. They have already mentioned they liked the Borg so I wouldn't be surprised if they put thier spin on that too but deny it i is the borg - space zombies since zombies are cool.

With Anaxar, shows me how simple it would have been to keep the TOS style around and just update it for today. Plus it was interesting. I am more excited about that than anything JJ and company are doing with Trek.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:36 PM   #453
Blu-ray Guru

May 2009
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonic View Post
I would like a movie of them exploring and getting into a "non villain heavy" conflict. I liked the previous two films plenty, but something more pure for Trek and less action heavy would be welcome, if not very successful probably.
I would agree, but it's not going to happen. Unfortunately, people who buy tickets want big action set pieces, not thought provoking stories. The limited budgets of the TV shows is what forced them to do more thoughtful stories and this was a great advantage. As Orson Welles once said, "The enemy of art is the absence of limitations," although that's a strange statement coming from Welles who wanted no limitations placed upon him.

Look at the criticism of Prometheus which didn't actually have all that much action.

Also remember that any big film has to do well in international markets. And in Asian markets especially, they seem to want action more than anything.

One can make a case that the most interesting work being done is now on television, which is why so many good actors are flocking there. Imagine a Star Trek series on HBO with the scope, complexity and visual detail of "Game of Thrones". A series like that would make the Trek films seem like a bad Adam Sandler movie.
loose="not tight", lose="can't find it, doesn't have anymore" or the opposite of "win".
their="belongs to", there="place", they're="they are", there's = "there is"
it's="it is", for everything else use "its"
then="after", than="compared with"
"a lot" not "alot"

A Guide to Spelling and Punctuation
Old 08-26-2014, 09:19 PM   #454
Special Member

Jan 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoetMB View Post
Look at the criticism of Prometheus which didn't actually have all that much action.
It also had a poor script.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:03 AM   #455
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2010
New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elandyll View Post
That looks amazing indeed, the prelude is something to behold, truly way beyond what you'd expect from a fan made film (only beef for me: Hatch as the Klingon Chancellor. I do like him in general, but would have expected someone with a much deeper/ rougher voice for that specific role).

I can't wait to see the final project
Thanks, oh yes, well beyond. those special effects made me take a second look. and I have got to agree with you on Hatch, just a little similar to Richard Dean Anderson for Stargate, I couldn't quite shake MacGyver haha..
"I don't always herdy dur mur flerpty floopin...

But when I do, I yer der schmer dor her der foomty, der shoopin flerpty dur"

The Swedish Chef!.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:25 AM   #456

Jun 2014
canada

is Spock a Vulcan or Vulcanian? i'm watching season one and he keeps referring to Vulcanians. thanks
Old 08-28-2014, 06:59 AM   #457

Aug 2014
In my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah_wentworth View Post
is Spock a Vulcan or Vulcanian? i'm watching season one and he keeps referring to Vulcanians. thanks
They pretty much decided that it would be simply Vulcan after using Vulcanian a few times. I always wondered that too til I read a Star Trek book that explained it. I think there is one more use of Vulacanian later in the series that slipped through. I love that first season the best. Hope this helps

Last edited by elecrofunk; 08-28-2014 at 07:01 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies