Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Intern (Blu-ray)
$10.00
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Bride of Re-Animator (Blu-ray)
$27.99
NFL Super Bowl 50 Champions: Denver Broncos (Blu-ray)
$27.99
The Revenant (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Hotel Transylvania 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Fargo: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Pieces (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Death Walks Twice: Two Films By Luciano Ercoli (Blu-ray)
$49.99
The Leftovers: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Outlander: Season 1 Volume 1 (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Goosebumps (Blu-ray)
$14.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 11-30-2015, 03:12 PM   #1601

Jun 2012

So what's up with the 5.0 rating of Carlotta Films release of Body Double 4k master? Isn't TT's also 4k? Is it due to different reviewers or different treatment of Carlotta vs TT?

"The release is sourced from Sony's 4K remaster of Body Double, which will almost certainty remain the definitive presentation of the film on the home video market."

The reviewer does not specifically say "Carlotta's release...will almost certainly remain the definitive presentation of the film..." just the 4k scan will, but he gives it a 5.0 while TT's gas 4.0.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:14 PM   #1602
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasil View Post
So what's up with the 5.0 rating of Carlotta Films release of Body Double 4k master? Isn't TT's also 4k? Is it due to different reviewers or different treatment of Carlotta vs TT?

"The release is sourced from Sony's 4K remaster of Body Double, which will almost certainty remain the definitive presentation of the film on the home video market."

The reviewer does not specifically say "Carlotta's release...will almost certainly remain the definitive presentation of the film..." just the 4k scan will, but he gives it a 5.0 while TT's gas 4.0.
Perhaps it's just encoded better. Sourced from the same master doesn't necessarily mean that they'll look the same on disc.
I aim to misbehave....
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (11-30-2015)
Old 11-30-2015, 03:15 PM   #1603
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasil View Post

It is purely down to different reviewers giving their personal opinion.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:52 PM   #1604
Power Member

Dec 2011
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
It is purely down to different reviewers giving their personal opinion.
Ahh ok, thanks. I posed the same question over at the French thread.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:35 PM   #1605
Blu-ray Duke

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouncilSpectre View Post
Perhaps it's just encoded better. Sourced from the same master doesn't necessarily mean that they'll look the same on disc.
That's part of it, and also personal preference too, but 4/5 for the TT is too low, it looks absolutely stunning IMO.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:07 AM   #1606

Sep 2012

The Carlotta edition looks better to me and certainly sounds better. Not a huge improvement picture wise, but it is noticeable.
Old 12-20-2015, 03:58 AM   #1607
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
That's part of it, and also personal preference too, but 4/5 for the TT is too low, it looks absolutely stunning IMO.

People complain about TT and its business model, but that's one thing I'll give them. The compression on TT releases are generally solid and don't have all the issues that you see with other labels (Kino, Criterion, etc).
Wanted:
Warner Bros UK 90th Anniversary slipcover: 'A Clockwork Orange'
Criterion: 'The Third Man' Digipak (do NOT need discs or booklets)
Studio Canal Collection Nordic Edition slipcovers for digibook releases
Disney UK 3D slipcover for 'Frozen'
Old 02-06-2016, 02:52 AM   #1608

Aug 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
Because it's an Australian release hack job and I doubt Sony supplied anything.
Actually there have been some pretty solid Australian releases that have actually been just as good, or better, than the international counterparts. Umbrella are usually pretty good with the titles they put out, as are Cinema Cult. If we had the market for it in this country, they could become like Arrow, Scream Factory or even Criterion.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:53 AM   #1609

Nov 2010
Pittsburgh, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepseababy View Post
Actually there have been some pretty solid Australian releases that have actually been just as good, or better, than the international counterparts. Umbrella are usually pretty good with the titles they put out, as are Cinema Cult. If we had the market for it in this country, they could become like Arrow, Scream Factory or even Criterion.
Cinema Cult? Please. They released an SD upscale Blu-ray of Flesh for Frankenstein. Their Blood for Dracula was okay but not spectacular.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:44 AM   #1610
Expert Member

Feb 2012

I'll have to defer judgement here because I import all my movies instead of buying local. It started with DVD as a reaction to the ratings logos but the downgrade in local packaging really just becomes symbolic of the overall lack of care put into local releases. At their best our releases seem to be good overseas transfers dumped to disc and at their worst old DVD transfers with more room to breath on blu ray. The local releases I own are:

BLOOD FOR DRACULA
BODY DOUBLE
DEAD RINGERS
ROMPER STOMPER

Three of these are 1080i and ROMPER STOMPER is also censored.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America