Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$99.99
6 hrs ago
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$19.99
22 hrs ago
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$9.96

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.96
12 hrs ago
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99

Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Time Bandits (Blu-ray)
$21.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$149.99

Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 12-14-2014, 11:07 PM   #981
Power Member

Oct 2014
San Fransokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro Zombie View Post
Well, there's always exceptions
Of course there are. Mine is Country Strong. The only movie I ever saw in theaters that made me mad enough to want to throw something at the screen and then go and demand my money and time back. Unfortunately I couldn't get either.
On behalf of the fine people of New York and real rhinos everywhere, I ask you to put your mechanized paws in the air!

Hello. I am Baymax, your personal healthcare companion. On a scale of 1 to 10 how would you rate your pain?

The wind is rising! . . . We must try to live!
Old 12-14-2014, 11:11 PM   #982
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderfan1985 View Post
Of course there are. Mine is Country Strong. The only movie I ever saw in theaters that made me mad enough to want to throw something at the screen and then go and demand my money and time back. Unfortunately I couldn't get either.
Hope that never happens to me
"Now I have a machine gun. Ho-Ho-Ho."

20 Favorite Films: 1) Inglourious Basterds 2) Back to the Future 3) Jurassic Park 4) The Empire Strikes Back 5) Aliens 6) Halloween 7) Pulp Fiction 8) Raiders of the Lost Ark 9) The Good, the Bad and the Ugly 10) 2001: A Space Odyssey 11) Shaun of the Dead 12) Star Wars 13) Jaws 14) The Matrix 15) Taxi Driver 16) Psycho 17) The Departed 18) Groundhog Day 19) Roman Holiday 20) The Thing
Old 12-14-2014, 11:13 PM   #983
Expert Member

Jan 2007
Earth

The most annoying thing is when they speed up and then slow down footage. I think I see this in every crappy club scene in direct to DVD movies.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:14 PM   #984
Power Member

Oct 2014
San Fransokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro Zombie View Post
Hope that never happens to me
I hope it doesn't either dude. Really.
On behalf of the fine people of New York and real rhinos everywhere, I ask you to put your mechanized paws in the air!

Hello. I am Baymax, your personal healthcare companion. On a scale of 1 to 10 how would you rate your pain?

Old 12-14-2014, 11:23 PM   #985
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Aug 2011
District 13

Every movie I've seen in theaters I've enjoyed.

Though I was originally going to see Thor 2 last night in theaters. But there was a mix up and they started playing Bad Grandpa instead. So I went out and told them. They said it take them some while to do so.

I told them I was on a bus schedule and that I need a refund. They agreed to do so. And in return for their mess up. They give me a ticket good for any other movie, plus an extra one seeing how i go there alot.

Anyway I didn't even bother seeing Thor 2 in theaters. I just saw Catcing Fire twice in theaters instead.

So the put of this long post and story. I watched Thor 2 the other night. And I gotta say I'm glad I didn't see it in theaters. Because I was let down by it.

I originally didn't like Silent Hill when I saw it in theaters. But when it came to DVD I watched it and enjoyed it more.
My Blu rays for sale Thread The Biggest Jennifer Lawrence fan here. Favorite Movies Of the Year So Far X-Men: Days Of Future Past & The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1

I've finished a third draft of my latest script. Which is a comedy called "Life As Liz" with Jen being in mind written as the lead. It's my 12th script.

DL the script in this link and PM me what you think.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:30 AM   #986
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2007

Bad Guys who have tattoos that giveaway who they are
==
Old 12-15-2014, 05:35 AM   #987
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2011
Canada

Annoying winks at the camera. The most annoying kind I can think offhand being when movies set in the past which make some kind of joke about the "future." Super 8, an otherwise decent movie, had a few of these, and they really brought it down.
I'm the one you should be listening to! Do you think dropping an anchor in the middle of a storm makes any sense whatsoever? -Charles McCullough

I just clicked Show Post so I could see what Troll-istc, inane thing you had to say. You're on my female cleansing product list. -Spottedfeather

A good article: http://old.bfi.org.uk/sightandsound/feature/102
Old 12-15-2014, 06:53 AM   #988
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Holly View Post
Annoying winks at the camera. The most annoying kind I can think offhand being when movies set in the past which make some kind of joke about the "future." Super 8, an otherwise decent movie, had a few of these, and they really brought it down.
I see what you did there.

"Now I have a machine gun. Ho-Ho-Ho."

20 Favorite Films: 1) Inglourious Basterds 2) Back to the Future 3) Jurassic Park 4) The Empire Strikes Back 5) Aliens 6) Halloween 7) Pulp Fiction 8) Raiders of the Lost Ark 9) The Good, the Bad and the Ugly 10) 2001: A Space Odyssey 11) Shaun of the Dead 12) Star Wars 13) Jaws 14) The Matrix 15) Taxi Driver 16) Psycho 17) The Departed 18) Groundhog Day 19) Roman Holiday 20) The Thing
Old 12-16-2014, 02:43 PM   #989
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2013
Jacksonville, Florida

Before a shootout there always has to be a close up of the gun hanging at the shooters side and as the tension gets higher they keep cutting back to the gun and the shooter getting his finger read to pull the trigger.

I think the scene would be more effective if we didn't know the character was packing.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:59 PM   #990

Jan 2013
Canada

narration is starting to get annoying.
I own 1,175 Movies
Upcoming Movies
Penguins of Madagascar
The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies
Into the Woods
The Interview
Night at the Museum 3
Old 12-16-2014, 08:27 PM   #991
Power Member

Jul 2014

In the last couple of years CG is finally starting to become a legitimate replacement for the craftsman of "old" who once did things in camera. However one real pet peeve for me in movies is when a really basic practical effect is done in CG as not only is it pointless but it usually looks terrible and out of place. It is surely neither cheaper nor easier to do it with CG so the decisions just baffle me. CG - in my opinion - should be used sparingly for the stuff you just couldn't do otherwise but let the stuff that can be done in camera be done that way. Why do you think big special effects heavy films from the 80s are still cherished today while some of the biggest films of the late 90s, early 00s are laughing stocks now? In camera just works better.
BD Preorders: The Incredibles Zavvi Exclusive Steelbook. Honeymoon. 88 Films Slasher Collection. The Guest. Blade Runner: Final Cut with FR4ME packaging and spinner.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:43 PM   #992
Expert Member

Sep 2012
Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Holly View Post
This is something I like or dislike, depending on the movie. I want a realistic historical film to try and be as accurate as possible, but when a historical fantasy film, or one set in something similar to our history, includes references to our modern world that the characters couldn't possibly know about I find that greatly amusing. Terms like "shish kebab" being used in Legend and the "Made in Rivendell" bit in the extended edition of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey are great examples of that.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:46 PM   #993
Expert Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzamorg View Post
In the last couple of years CG is finally starting to become a legitimate replacement for the craftsman of "old" who once did things in camera. However one real pet peeve for me in movies is when a really basic practical effect is done in CG as not only is it pointless but it usually looks terrible and out of place. It is surely neither cheaper nor easier to do it with CG so the decisions just baffle me. CG - in my opinion - should be used sparingly for the stuff you just couldn't do otherwise but let the stuff that can be done in camera be done that way. Why do you think big special effects heavy films from the 80s are still cherished today while some of the biggest films of the late 90s, early 00s are laughing stocks now? In camera just works better.
To go with this, CGI helicopters are the worst offenders. I can almost always tell. They just never move right.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:58 PM   #994
Power Member

Oct 2014
San Fransokyo

Quote:
I think a lot of this has to do with risk. Especially in stunts. To the studios it might be considered a safer option to CG a stunt then to risk an actor or stunt person. They might consider it worth the extra money. I know this is not the only thing you're talking about, but I think this is certainly an explanation (if not a very good one) for one of them.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:04 PM   #995
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Aug 2011
District 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderfan1985 View Post
I think a lot of this has to do with risk. Especially in stunts. To the studios it might be considered a safer option to CG a stunt then to risk an actor or stunt person. They might consider it worth the extra money. I know this is not the only thing you're talking about, but I think this is certainly an explanation (if not a very good one) for one of them.
Studios think about safety first for the better part in these situations. Why sometimes they will just film something by itself and then a actor will do something infront of a green sreen and combine the two for the finished product.
My Blu rays for sale Thread The Biggest Jennifer Lawrence fan here. Favorite Movies Of the Year So Far X-Men: Days Of Future Past & The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1

I've finished a third draft of my latest script. Which is a comedy called "Life As Liz" with Jen being in mind written as the lead. It's my 12th script.

DL the script in this link and PM me what you think.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:21 PM   #996
Power Member

Jul 2014

I don't necessarily mean green screening the sets and stuff like that - like I say CG is great when used for stuff that couldn't be done otherwise but I mean like say...CG blood for example. It never looks good, and squibs are so easy and have worked for like fifty years so it seems like such an arbitrary change but the result has a big impact in the right context. Just an example, don't get too held up with just this one, but this is sort of the direction I meant.
BD Preorders: The Incredibles Zavvi Exclusive Steelbook. Honeymoon. 88 Films Slasher Collection. The Guest. Blade Runner: Final Cut with FR4ME packaging and spinner.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:39 PM   #997
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

Quote:
I agree. I think part of that is even when it didn't work, you didn't know how it was done so you were still somewhat amazed but now when you see something and it doesn't work, you know it is just cgi. I agree that you should never know that an effect is an effect - it should look natural(hard today since the public knows about special effects but still). Too much just screams cgi now.

Probably was mentioned before but for me, it is obvious and not too subtle references to previous movies. For example, characters having to say thier signature phrase in every film. That is one thing I found really weird with the new Terminator trailer - Arnold's "I'll be back". It is one thing for him to say it but then they have to give the reaction shot which totally takes you out of the film.
Thanks given by:
Pizzamorg (12-16-2014)
Old 12-16-2014, 10:04 PM   #998
Power Member

Oct 2014
San Fransokyo

Quote:
I don't necessarily mean green screening the sets and stuff like that - like I say CG is great when used for stuff that couldn't be done otherwise but I mean like say...CG blood for example. It never looks good, and squibs are so easy and have worked for like fifty years so it seems like such an arbitrary change but the result has a big impact in the right context. Just an example, don't get too held up with just this one, but this is sort of the direction I meant.
I got ya.

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies