Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Blue Bloods: The Fifth Season (DVD)
$44.96
The Blacklist: The Complete Second Season (DVD)
$44.98
Castle: The Complete Seventh Season (DVD)
$37.35
Elementary: The Third Season (DVD)
$43.28
Yu-Gi-Oh! Classic: Complete Set (DVD)
$99.99
Dallas: The Complete Third Season (DVD)
$16.99
Once Upon a Time: The Complete Fourth Season (DVD)
$37.35
NCIS: The Best of Abby (DVD)
$19.99
Fifty Shades of Grey (DVD)
$14.99
Major Crimes: The Complete Third Season (DVD)
$28.30
Cowboy Bebop: Complete Series (DVD)
$24.99
The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (DVD)
$19.97
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 05-25-2015, 11:38 PM   #361

Jan 2015
Los Angeles-ish, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
If you can find studio-art then it's preferable. Just right-click the image on Best- Buy or Amazon (you can click to get a larger image on some sites), save the file to your PC and upload it later, the system will crop out white borders if they're excessive.
Thanks, I have a Mac though. I go to the product page at Amazon and it won't drag, save, etc. at all. I'll try some other possibilities, but if you or anyone else know how to do this with a Mac then I'd appreciate it.

Quote:
If the film is listed theatrically, you can add the cast and crew to the theatrical entry, you don't have to add it to the DVD entries, it should gfollow on from it's master ID.
That's part of the problem though, I don't think that the hundreds of titles I'm interested in ARE listed theatrically. Would they be under "Movies" at the top? Since they're not, and a search for the Master at the dvd page turns up nothing, then I'm guessing that's the case.

So if they're not then that would mean manually entering them? I've looked into it, and even if I do, I still don't see a "Cast & Crew" option though. Or how to link them to the existing dvd release. Though maybe that comes later?

Quote:
It should work, just enter the 12-digit code for the UPC or the 13 digit-code for the EAN. If you copy and paste some codes, make sure your browser isn't copying a blank space before each one, some do.
I'm sure it should, but it never ever does. Whether I copy and paste or don't, it just doesn't.

Quote:
If the original release was a full-retail release, leave it as it is, you can leave a note in the comments that it's now a DVD-R from Amazon.
The original release does not exist in the Blu-Ray.com database, so if I leave it as is then I don't understand how that would help me? Unless you mean that I should just link to what's there now, and then leave the note?

Quote:
If it's legitimate and has a UPC or EAN, there's no reason not to add it, you could add a theatrical entry too.
Okay, thanks. Hopefully I can figure out the EAN or UPC.

Quote:
If there are little mistakes, don't worry about changing them, you can always cite your source for reference. Some covers are temporary, so I'm sure members will appreciate the correct ones and not everyone gets slip covers, so the original submitter may not have been aware of the omission, if you're unsure about a field, it's best to leave it Unset.
Thanks again.

Quote:
Post in the Feedback thread, new studios are added quite quickly, if you can link a website or a release as the source then all the better.
Okay, I'll look for the sources and then post.

Quote:
Hope that helps!
Some, thank you.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:06 AM   #362
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2012
Dump Bin
-
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash View Post
That's part of the problem though, I don't think that the hundreds of titles I'm interested in ARE listed theatrically. Would they be under "Movies" at the top? Since they're not, and a search for the Master at the dvd page turns up nothing, then I'm guessing that's the case.

So if they're not then that would mean manually entering them? I've looked into it, and even if I do, I still don't see a "Cast & Crew" option though. Or how to link them to the existing dvd release. Though maybe that comes later?
There are a lot of releases in the database that are missing theatrical pages (especially DVD only releases). Often, folks who create new BD/DVD entries skip the step of linking to one or creating a new one if needed.

All cast and crew editing is done through the theatrical pages. Yes, those are the pages that come up when you search via the 'Movies' tab at the very top of the forum. If a theatrical page is missing from the database, you can create one via the 'Add new movie' link that is present on all theatrical pages. That will bring you to this form:
http://www.blu-ray.com/products/?c=20&action=addproduct

Once that form is submitted and approved, you can then add cast to the listing via the 'Edit cast & crew' link that will be present on the page.

You'll also be able to link the new theatrical page to the appropriate BD/DVD releases via the Master movie ID fields of those releases.

Quote:
I'm sure it should, but it never ever does. Whether I copy and paste or don't, it just doesn't.
What error are you getting when you try to submit a UPC?

Quote:
The original release does not exist in the Blu-Ray.com database, so if I leave it as is then I don't understand how that would help me? Unless you mean that I should just link to what's there now, and then leave the note?
If the UPCs of the professionally pressed release and the DVD-R release are different, I would definitely create two separate entries. If you can't find the original ASIN, just leave that field blank. There are many releases (particularly exclusives) that never get listed at certain retailers. Others are removed from these retailers when they're no longer carried. So, links to Amazon, Best Buy, etc. are not required. The UPC is the most important piece of info.
Muhahahaha! 😈

Last edited by Evil; 05-26-2015 at 09:24 AM.
Thanks given by:
Strapped4Cash (05-27-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 12:54 PM   #363
Blu-ray Duke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Thanks, I have a Mac though. I go to the product page at Amazon and it won't drag, save, etc. at all. I'll try some other possibilities, but if you or anyone else know how to do this with a Mac then I'd appreciate it. I'm sure it should, but it never ever does. Whether I copy and paste or don't, it just doesn't.
You need to right-click or CTRL-click with your mouse, that should bring up a menu and just Save Image As... that should work. Don't save the main-image click the option for the larger one. You probably won't be able to save the main image, or have the option.

Quote:
If there isn't an entry then there's no harm in adding your DVD-R release. Just make sure it's labelled as a DVD-R.

Quote:
Okay, thanks. Hopefully I can figure out the EAN or UPC.
You shouldn't have any issues with the EAN or UPC, just make sure they're the correct amount of digits, with no spaces or dashes. Like Evil said, what are your error messages when you enter a code?
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time." DM
"How many times do I have to buy this thing?" MH
Thanks given by:
Old 05-27-2015, 08:08 AM   #364

Jan 2015
Los Angeles-ish, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil View Post
There are a lot of releases in the database that are missing theatrical pages (especially DVD only releases). Often, folks who create new BD/DVD entries skip the step of linking to one or creating a new one if needed.

All cast and crew editing is done through the theatrical pages. Yes, those are the pages that come up when you search via the 'Movies' tab at the very top of the forum. If a theatrical page is missing from the database, you can create one via the 'Add new movie' link that is present on all theatrical pages. That will bring you to this form:
http://www.blu-ray.com/products/?c=20&action=addproduct

Once that form is submitted and approved, you can then add cast to the listing via the 'Edit cast & crew' link that will be present on the page.

You'll also be able to link the new theatrical page to the appropriate BD/DVD releases via the Master movie ID fields of those releases.
I've also been noticing that there are a lot of missing theatrical pages or that they're unlinked to their releases. I added around 150 dvd's to the database just myself, and I had no idea. I tried to conscientiously do a good job, and I'm sure in many ways I did, but still

On the positive, I found and somewhat familiarized myself with the theatrical pages, added Cast there and submitted it, and it's now shown up and is reflecting on both the theatrical page and dvd's! So I think that I'm good there and will try submitting theatrical entries soon.

Next I've been trying to figure out how precisely to link an existing dvd entry to it's theatrical page. I go to the Master Movie ID, search, it brings up the movie (when it exists), I take the 6 digit code, enter it in the field and then hit "return/enter"? I tried a couple things that didn't work, but then I did that and it said that it submitted something, so I'm hopeful that that was the right something?

Quote:
What error are you getting when you try to submit a UPC?
None now, apparently. I'm embarrassed, now that I've asked for help it works fine. But I honestly tried multiple times on half a dozen titles and it just would not work. Idk, I guess if I see the error again then I'll mention it.

Quote:
If the UPCs of the professionally pressed release and the DVD-R release are different, I would definitely create two separate entries. If you can't find the original ASIN, just leave that field blank. There are many releases (particularly exclusives) that never get listed at certain retailers. Others are removed from these retailers when they're no longer carried. So, links to Amazon, Best Buy, etc. are not required. The UPC is the most important piece of info.
That sounds sensible, though I wish I could put more info. But if I just can't find it, or it's changed or whatever, then you're right that it probably would do more harm than good.

Thanks very much for all the help/advice!

Quote:
You need to right-click or CTRL-click with your mouse, that should bring up a menu and just Save Image As... that should work. Don't save the main-image click the option for the larger one. You probably won't be able to save the main image, or have the option.
After some fumbling I got something to upload and submit, and I'm hopeful that it's actually right. I guess I'll just wait for it to be okayed and then I'll see how good or bad it is.

Quote:
If there isn't an entry then there's no harm in adding your DVD-R release. Just make sure it's labelled as a DVD-R.
I don't have the DVD-R's, only the original releases, so after hearing from Evil then I guess I'll just stick to whatever info I have that is 100% right on those, even if it means leaving some important fields blank. But if I were to ever enter a DVD-R then I'll be sure to include that info.

Quote:
You shouldn't have any issues with the EAN or UPC, just make sure they're the correct amount of digits, with no spaces or dashes. Like Evil said, what are your error messages when you enter a code?
As I told Evil, suddenly it's working as smooth as could be and I can't see the message anymore. I guess that all's well that ends well (assuming it keeps working well). Thanks again chip for the advice, especially on the images, I really want to take care of those, hopefully I've finally got it.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:48 AM   #365
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2012
Dump Bin
-
-
-
-

Quote:
I've also been noticing that there are a lot of missing theatrical pages or that they're unlinked to their releases. I added around 150 dvd's to the database just myself, and I had no idea. I tried to conscientiously do a good job, and I'm sure in many ways I did, but still
There's a learning curve to all of this. You can't expect to do everything perfectly right out of the gate. Adding 150 DVDs to the database is an impressive feat. You're already in the top 100 DVD contributors. Great job!

Quote:
On the positive, I found and somewhat familiarized myself with the theatrical pages, added Cast there and submitted it, and it's now shown up and is reflecting on both the theatrical page and dvd's! So I think that I'm good there and will try submitting theatrical entries soon.

Next I've been trying to figure out how precisely to link an existing dvd entry to it's theatrical page. I go to the Master Movie ID, search, it brings up the movie (when it exists), I take the 6 digit code, enter it in the field and then hit "return/enter"? I tried a couple things that didn't work, but then I did that and it said that it submitted something, so I'm hopeful that that was the right something?
Regarding the Master Movie ID, you might find this technique easier:

Switch to the movies tab and search for the movie's theatrical page. For instance, this is the theatrical page for Fury Road:
http://www.blu-ray.com/Mad-Max-Fury-Road/234155/

Then, take a look at the url. The last number in Fury Road's theatrical url (234155) is the Master Movie ID.

Quote:
None now, apparently. I'm embarrassed, now that I've asked for help it works fine. But I honestly tried multiple times on half a dozen titles and it just would not work. Idk, I guess if I see the error again then I'll mention it.
As long as it's working now, that's all the matters. But yes, be sure to make note of the error if you see it again. That might give us a better idea of what is going on.

Quote:
That sounds sensible, though I wish I could put more info. But if I just can't find it, or it's changed or whatever, then you're right that it probably would do more harm than good.

Thanks very much for all the help/advice!
You're welcome. Thank you for all the contributions you have been making to the database. Let us know if you have any more questions.
Muhahahaha! 😈
Thanks given by:
Old 05-27-2015, 12:43 PM   #366
Blu-ray Duke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
I don't have the DVD-R's, only the original releases, so after hearing from Evil then I guess I'll just stick to whatever info I have that is 100% right on those, even if it means leaving some important fields blank. But if I were to ever enter a DVD-R then I'll be sure to include that info.
I think if you enter the UPC or EAN into Amazon whatever ASIN pops up will be good enough for the entry, it's preferable to leaving it blank and if members are interested in the DVD then they can try one of the Marketplace sellers to get the original DVD release if Amazon are now selling a DVD-R.
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time." DM
"How many times do I have to buy this thing?" MH
Thanks given by:
Old 05-27-2015, 11:20 PM   #367

Jan 2015
Los Angeles-ish, CA

Quote:
There's a learning curve to all of this. You can't expect to do everything perfectly right out of the gate. Adding 150 DVDs to the database is an impressive feat. You're already in the top 100 DVD contributors. Great job!
Thanks. I guess that as long as I didn't screw anything up then it's okay (hopefully I didn't screw anything up.lol). It would have been a lot easier to have done everything at once if I'd known (adding and linking to theatrical entries, uploading covers, adding Cast & Crew), but I guess that's part of the fun and why we get paid the big bucks! There are big bucks coming, right? (joking of course, I guess it'll be worth it to finally [almost] have my collection catalogued).

Quote:
Regarding the Master Movie ID, you might find this technique easier:

Switch to the movies tab and search for the movie's theatrical page. For instance, this is the theatrical page for Fury Road:
http://www.blu-ray.com/Mad-Max-Fury-Road/234155/

Then, take a look at the url. The last number in Fury Road's theatrical url (234155) is the Master Movie ID.
Yeah, that seems a little quicker and more efficient, thanks again!

Quote:
You're welcome. Thank you for all the contributions you have been making to the database. Let us know if you have any more questions.
Much of the work was to be able to keep track of my own collection, but I am happy that it will hopefully helps some others too. I'll definitely ask any more questions if I get them, but assuming that the photo uploads okay then I think I'll be busy for quite some time just working on the issues already discussed. Thanks for the offer.

Quote:
I think if you enter the UPC or EAN into Amazon whatever ASIN pops up will be good enough for the entry, it's preferable to leaving it blank and if members are interested in the DVD then they can try one of the Marketplace sellers to get the original DVD release if Amazon are now selling a DVD-R.
Hm. I think that I can see both some advantages and disadvantages to this. What you say is certainly true, though ime the market sellers only have the mod, or are mistaken (or lie) and say it's the original but send the DVD-R instead.

At the same time, I would hate to have a link and then someone who is not familiar with DVD-R's or is in a hurry, or doesn't read the fine print orders that instead. There doesn't exist some kind of cautionary message that we could use, is there? Might that be something to ask the developers about? It might happen more often as time goes by, and I'd love to warn people, if it's possible.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:26 AM   #368

Jan 2015
Los Angeles-ish, CA

Update with a couple of small questions. I went from the "A"s through the "F"'s in my own collection and did a lot of linking of dvd's to Theatrical releases, and added lots of Cast & Crew. I've also submitted 47 of the 67 titles missing Theatrical releases from that group and have just under 4000 total submissions currently pending. Wheee! Now for the questions...

When important Actors are not in the database here then do we ask for them to be added in the "Site improvements and Wiki" thread in the Feedback Forum, or somewhere else?

Is it important where an actor/actress shows up under Cast & Crew? I've noticed where key actors who are listed 1-5 at IMDb aren't even in the Blu-Ray .com list for a movie, even if they're fairly well known. Seems a bit weird, but I guess some people just add a fave or two, even if they don't have much screen time, and move on. So even if I add them now, they might show up as 10th or 20th or something. Does that matter? I'd guess some people who don't know about any of this might click on a movie, see the low position here of that actor, assume they had a small role, and move on, even if that isn't the case.

When submitting the title for a theatrical entry I first did only that, but then I saw that all the ones in the database have a year after them, plus more years and (TV) if they're a television show. Is that info automatically populated, or is easier for the mods if I include it when I'm submitting the titles?

Thanks for any help.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:46 AM   #369
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2012
Dump Bin
-
-
-
-

Quote:
When important Actors are not in the database here then do we ask for them to be added in the "Site improvements and Wiki" thread in the Feedback Forum, or somewhere else?
You can add them yourself using this form:
http://www.blu-ray.com/products/?c=22&action=addproduct

You can get to that form by clicking on the "Add new cast" link on any cast page.

Quote:
Is it important where an actor/actress shows up under Cast & Crew? I've noticed where key actors who are listed 1-5 at IMDb aren't even in the Blu-Ray .com list for a movie, even if they're fairly well known. Seems a bit weird, but I guess some people just add a fave or two, even if they don't have much screen time, and move on. So even if I add them now, they might show up as 10th or 20th or something. Does that matter? I'd guess some people who don't know about any of this might click on a movie, see the low position here of that actor, assume they had a small role, and move on, even if that isn't the case.
Cast & Crew are supposed to be arranged by significance or the end credits. However, regular members like us are not allowed to change the positions of cast.

A few members had been using this thread to request changes in cast order:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=244740

Quote:
When submitting the title for a theatrical entry I first did only that, but then I saw that all the ones in the database have a year after them, plus more years and (TV) if they're a television show. Is that info automatically populated, or is easier for the mods if I include it when I'm submitting the titles?

Thanks for any help.
The years and TV info is automatically populated based on the info you enter into the Year and Television fields. You do not need to enter that info when entering the title.
Muhahahaha! 😈
Thanks given by:
Strapped4Cash (05-29-2015)
Old 05-29-2015, 08:07 AM   #370

Jan 2015
Los Angeles-ish, CA

Quote:
You can add them yourself using this form:
http://www.blu-ray.com/products/?c=22&action=addproduct

You can get to that form by clicking on the "Add new cast" link on any cast page.
Perfect!

Quote:
Cast & Crew are supposed to be arranged by significance or the end credits. However, regular members like us are not allowed to change the positions of cast.

A few members had been using this thread to request changes in cast order:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=244740
Thanks again for the link, and the logic there makes sense. In order to change the order ourselves then we'd probably have to have too much power. Even if 99% of people were conscientious then a few people could probably cause a lot of damage.

In most cases I've seen then it's not a big deal, off by a few slots at most, but in one example here:

http://www.blu-ray.com/The-Family-Tr...7/#Castandcrew

Jane Seymour is listed 4th, but is in 27th position on IMDb, meanwhile Rachael Leigh Cook has 1st position there but none here, and Britt Robertson had 5th there, and none here. So I've added them, and some others, but Jane Seymour fans might be disappointed by her relatively small role if they buy the movie strictly for her. I'm not sure how likely that actually is, but it seems like there could be some disappointment. At the least I guess I need to wait for my submissions to be approved before asking to change the actor position of any titles.

Quote:
The years and TV info is automatically populated based on the info you enter into the Year and Television fields. You do not need to enter that info when entering the title.
Okay, that's a relief for those I didn't try to include it, and hopefully whoever's entering it will delete it for those instances when I did try it, but I guess I can try to modify the title later if the info shows up twice. Thanks again for all the info!
Old 05-29-2015, 08:18 AM   #371
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2012
Dump Bin
-
-
-
-

Quote:
Okay, that's a relief for those I didn't try to include it, and hopefully whoever's entering it will delete it for those instances when I did try it, but I guess I can try to modify the title later if the info shows up twice. Thanks again for all the info!
They'll likely show up like this when you search for them:
Mad Max: Fury Road (2015) (2015)

Just remove the duplicate info and re-submit if you see some that slipped through.

That's also a trick if you ever encounter an error about a title already being in the database (ie. multiple movies with the same exact title). Just tack on the year to the title to get it through when you submit and then remove it later.
Muhahahaha! 😈
Thanks given by:
Strapped4Cash (05-29-2015)
Old 05-29-2015, 08:28 AM   #372

Jan 2015
Los Angeles-ish, CA

Quote:
They'll likely show up like this when you search for them:
Mad Max: Fury Road (2015) (2015)

Just remove the duplicate info and re-submit if you see some that slipped through.
That's what I thought, but thanks for confirming! Hopefully whoever's entering can catch them, but considering the volume of work that just I am submitting, then I can 100% understand if something does slip through.

Quote:
That's also a trick if you ever encounter an error about a title already being in the database (ie. multiple movies with the same exact title). Just tack on the year to the title to get it through when you submit and then remove it later.
Thanks again! That might come actually up, good to be forewarned.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:51 AM   #373

Jan 2015
Los Angeles-ish, CA

Another question if I may. When a movie only gets a limited release, then do we say Yes or No under the first Theatrical question? The "Theatrical release date (US)" question says not to use Limited Release dates, but if the movie only ever gets that, then does that suggest we should say No to the first question and later mark it as "Direct to Video"?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies