Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Americans: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Animal House (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Forbidden Kingdom (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Of Human Bondage (Blu-ray)
$14.78
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Spider-Man / Spider-Man 2 / Spider-Man 3 (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 09-21-2010, 05:20 PM   #61

Apr 2010
Daytona Beach FL
Send a message via AIM to MacinMan Send a message via MSN to MacinMan Send a message via Yahoo to MacinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark909 View Post
I just went and looked it up, and you are right, most consumer DVD's for the U.S. market are either 720480 (480i) or 704480 (480p). Yet DVD's seem to have better resolution than standard definition cable channels, which are also supposedly 480i or 480p...

If you have a TV with component inputs, could you please check by turning HDMI off and see what happens? I agree that it should, but that doesn't necessarily mean it does.
Well, If it helps I did test the composite connection a while back without hdmi on and was able to get pup to 1080i btw component won't do 1080p just 1080i if you want HD progressive out of component use 720p.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:32 PM   #62

Sep 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
Well, If it helps I did test the composite connection a while back without hdmi on and was able to get pup to 1080i btw component won't do 1080p just 1080i if you want HD progressive out of component use 720p.
By composite you mean the regular yellow video jack? I'm surprised to learn that they can even handle that.

While I'm typing, the Toshiba with HDMI has a panel resolution of 1366 X 768, so I misspoke when I called it "720". Apparently, the correct term is HD Basic.

Anyway, I'm not much of a video guy, but I like to watch movies
Old 09-21-2010, 06:03 PM   #63

Apr 2010
Daytona Beach FL
Send a message via AIM to MacinMan Send a message via MSN to MacinMan Send a message via Yahoo to MacinMan

Quote:
By composite you mean the regular yellow video jack? I'm surprised to learn that they can even handle that.

While I'm typing, the Toshiba with HDMI has a panel resolution of 1366 X 768, so I misspoke when I called it "720". Apparently, the correct term is HD Basic.

Anyway, I'm not much of a video guy, but I like to watch movies
I was able to tell by tv resolution comparing HDMI to the composite (yes single yellow connector) that I was getting the same resolution. I was certainly go component it will be a better picture. This was just to say you can get HD from the analog connections.

Your tv's resolution is measured as a computer monitor resolution 720p is 1280X720 THe resolution you quoted is greater then that. it's between 720p and 1080p.

both my tvs have a native panel resolution of 1920x1080 (1080p) a computer monitor would generally have a resolution of 1920x1200.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:52 AM   #64
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2010
Saginaw, MI

Quote:
I just went and looked it up, and you are right, most consumer DVD's for the U.S. market are either 720480 (480i) or 704480 (480p). Yet DVD's seem to have better resolution than standard definition cable channels, which are also supposedly 480i or 480p...
If you are talking a cable or satellite signal, it's compressed for bandwidth.
Main Gear: Samsung PN60E550 - Region Free Sony BDP-S790 - Xbox 360 Slim 250 - Wii - Onkyo 606 - OTA - Windows Media Center - Logitech Harmony One
Basement Gear: Samsung 46" lcd - Sony BDP-S370 - OTA - Logitech Harmony X-Box
Old 12-01-2010, 02:27 AM   #65

Dec 2010
Default Picture Issue

I just purchased the BD65K....having one issue.......the picture sometimes "warps out"......or a line kinda warps thru the picture when there is a big contrast change.....or bright and dark changes......like an explosion on screen will create this effect.......anybody have an issue like this......anyone have an idea why it is produced? Thanks for any help!

btw..the TV is a 10 year old Mitsubishi HD Projection TV
Old 01-01-2011, 04:58 AM   #66
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2010
PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarb View Post
I just purchased the BD65K....having one issue.......the picture sometimes "warps out"......or a line kinda warps thru the picture when there is a big contrast change.....or bright and dark changes......like an explosion on screen will create this effect.......anybody have an issue like this......anyone have an idea why it is produced? Thanks for any help!

btw..the TV is a 10 year old Mitsubishi HD Projection TV
I have the BD65K and haven't had that happen. I think the first thing I would do if you can, is try the player on another HDTV and use the same movie and see if it happens. If not, then I'm afraid it's most likely a problem with your TV.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:22 PM   #67

Nov 2007
Default Iron Man 2 Problem

Anyone with the BD65 able to get Iron Man 2 to play? Whenever I select 'play' from the disc menu, the player reboots and (eventually) goes back to the main disc menu again. I have tried disconnecting my ethernet cable, disabling BD-Live, and nothing works. I have the latest firmware (updated Dec 15 I think). The disc plays fine in my computer, so I am guessing it is the player. Thanks!
Old 01-04-2011, 06:15 PM   #68
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2011
Michigan

I have the Panasonic DMP-BD65 Blu-Ray Disc Player. I've only used it a handful of times so far, and when I am trying to watch WALL-E with the special trivia commentary, the player keeps turning off and restarting the entire Blu-Ray disc over. I tried watching another Blu-Ray disc, and it seemed to be working fine. I got a new WALL-E replacement disc from Amazon, and the same thing still is happening. I made sure all my firmware was updated, and it was. Is this feature something that may not work on all players? Is there something wrong with my player?

Also, another question is that I heard Blu-Ray players take like 15-25 seconds to load a movie...I timed mine and it was about 45-50 seconds until the first preview started. Not that 25-30 extra seconds really bothers me, but I was wondering if maybe this was also a problem with my player and it was supposed to go faster.

Thanks.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:06 AM   #69
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2010
PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgeneral View Post
Also, another question is that I heard Blu-Ray players take like 15-25 seconds to load a movie...I timed mine and it was about 45-50 seconds until the first preview started. Not that 25-30 extra seconds really bothers me, but I was wondering if maybe this was also a problem with my player and it was supposed to go faster.

Thanks.
Not sure on your first question as I don't have the movie. It might be worth asking in a thread for that blu-ray also. But as far as the load time, mine varies depending on the disc. It's probably just a matter of the size of the disc (25GB or 50GB) and how much content there is on the disc.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:40 PM   #70

May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf3000 View Post
Anyone with the BD65 able to get Iron Man 2 to play? Whenever I select 'play' from the disc menu, the player reboots and (eventually) goes back to the main disc menu again. I have tried disconnecting my ethernet cable, disabling BD-Live, and nothing works. I have the latest firmware (updated Dec 15 I think). The disc plays fine in my computer, so I am guessing it is the player. Thanks!
Just want to say that I also have this problem.
Has there been any solutions to this?
I recommend everyone with iron man 2 blu to test it out on their BD65. the last firmware may have messed things up.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:52 AM   #71
Blu-ray Duke

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by weber View Post
Just want to say that I also have this problem.
Has there been any solutions to this?
I recommend everyone with iron man 2 blu to test it out on their BD65. the last firmware may have messed things up.
I have that issue as well. not only that but several other discs (incredible hulk and HTTY Dragon) will reboot if you try and choose another chapter from the pop up menu (yet will play fine if you leave it play vs. trying to jump chapters)... and it looks like they haven't released an update to the firmware since last year!!!! (thinking of returning this one to Costco and grabbing the Sony 370 )
Old 08-09-2011, 03:05 AM   #72
Blu-ray Duke

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
I have that issue as well. not only that but several other discs (incredible hulk and HTTY Dragon) will reboot if you try and choose another chapter from the pop up menu (yet will play fine if you leave it play vs. trying to jump chapters)... and it looks like they haven't released an update to the firmware since last year!!!! (thinking of returning this one to Costco and grabbing the Sony 370 )
well, I just returned mine to costco and got the BD75 as a replacement... fixed the rebooting issue with Ironman 2 and all the others... so definitely either a firmware or other such player issue.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #73
Expert Member

Nov 2009
7800 Namsos

I have this player. Its modified to play all regions, but original a Region A. Lately I have had some problems playing some of my Criterions. The player tries to read the disk, but seems to have some problems doing that, makes funny noices and so on. I dont know what to do.

I remember once I had problems playing THX1138. It wasnt the same problem as the player could actually read the disk, I just couldnt get up the menus at that point. I solved that my inserting a empty SD Memory Card.

Do anyone know if this actually has any impact on the players ability to read disks? Could the same help on these films Im not able to play?
Looking for John Cassavetes-collection. Have the following Criterion OOP for trade.

Le Cercle Rouge OOP, Leon Morin, Priest OOP, Last Year, At Marienbad OOP, Pierrot Le Fou OOP, Play Time OOP

Retask trading thread

Last edited by retask; 02-15-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #74
Expert Member

Nov 2009
7800 Namsos

Update on my last post:

I tried to play the same disks with a SD Memory Card inserted. Worked like a charm. Its to bad not many people know about this. I called the Panasonic support in Scandinavia, and they werent even aware of this solution. Pathetic.

Have a good weekend people!
Looking for John Cassavetes-collection. Have the following Criterion OOP for trade.

Le Cercle Rouge OOP, Leon Morin, Priest OOP, Last Year, At Marienbad OOP, Pierrot Le Fou OOP, Play Time OOP

Retask trading thread
Old 03-11-2013, 11:08 PM   #75

Mar 2013

Hello, I'm a new member on the forum, from France, but have been a longtime user of the main site (great source of information).

I think I may have found a way to hack the Panasonic BD65 Blu Ray Player to be Region Free, but I'm too much of a noob to know if its actually a hack or not. So here's what I did :

I bought a Fortune Star Blu-Ray of the movie "The Lunatics." When I played it, it showed a red screen telling me that the BR was Region locked (A) and couldn't be played on my player (B). I only found one easy hack technique here which didn't work (load disc, press stop, then 1 then enter or ok). So I started messing around with the remote and presed "Function", then selected "top menu", and lo and behold, there was the disc menu from which I could load the movie. Since I don't own other BluRays from region A or C, I have no way to see if this works with all BR or just BR from certain distributors. Also it would be nice to know if other Pana player have the same "feature".
Ps: I posted the same message on another thread to give it more visibility, if it's not allowed, please delete.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #76

Nov 2011

I was trying to figure out a way to look at the frame number at a specific spot in a movie on my DMP BD65 and couldn't figure out how to do it. The nearest thing I could do is get the time and count how many frames in the specific point is. Is there a way to display the frame number on this (or any other player, for that matter) or must I be satisfied with just the time from the beginning?

My next player will be an Oppo. Can you do it on those, currently?

A trivial thing, I know, but interesting to me.

G

PS
I would have started my own thread but I guess I can't since I don't have enough posts even though I've been here for 2 years
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders