Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Animal House (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Blow (Blu-ray)
$6.98
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Pawnbroker (Blu-ray)
$19.16
The Quiet Man (Blu-ray)
$14.98
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Charade (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Breakfast Club (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

Old 03-07-2014, 06:25 AM   #2401

Jul 2013

So.....

If that guy is to be trusted, they're spending all that time to upgrade the show merely for television and streaming? Pffft!
"I'm looking at the river, but I'm thinking of the sea"
Old 03-07-2014, 07:05 AM   #2402

Jan 2014
UK

Aah well, Scully's season one fashion looked awful in SD anyway so at least we are spared that in HD :P
Old 03-07-2014, 12:49 PM   #2403

Feb 2011
Calgary, AB, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely and Blu View Post
So.....

If that guy is to be trusted, they're spending all that time to upgrade the show merely for television and streaming? Pffft!
Another show which was recently upgraded to Blu-ray (Friends) ran on TV networks for a while in HD, then was released on Blu-ray. I'm pretty sure this is the route X-Files will take.

Last edited by magnetite2; 03-07-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:18 PM   #2404

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely and Blu View Post
So.....

In simple terms, it's one job for the remaster and one job for a future Blu-ray release (to which work has not yet officially begun).

A release WILL happen soon, what "soon" actually means remains to be seen.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:30 PM   #2405
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
Edge of the Accretion Disc

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetite2 View Post
Another show which was recently upgraded to Blu-ray (Friends) ran on TV networks for a while in HD, then was released on Blu-ray. I'm pretty sure this is the route X-Files will take.
Or, on the other hand, Seinfeld got a complete restoration, but still hasn't been announced for Blu.

And there's been tonnes of movies and TV shows that have been given a widescreen or HD transfer for broadcast, and then a separate transfer for a release on Blu (those that have been released). (Sopranos, anyone?)
Old 03-07-2014, 01:50 PM   #2406

Jan 2012
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
Or, on the other hand, Seinfeld got a complete restoration, but still hasn't been announced for Blu.

And there's been tonnes of movies and TV shows that have been given a widescreen or HD transfer for broadcast, and then a separate transfer for a release on Blu (those that have been released). (Sopranos, anyone?)
Exactly, it isn't a given, and Seinfeld is big as TV shows come. Netflix (and other VOD services) are full of HD versions of movies and TV that dont have a blu-ray version.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:02 PM   #2407

Feb 2014

Quote:

Though we all know X-files will look stellar on Blu (just look at some of these HD screen-shots!), will Seinfeld look that much better on a Blu release? I'm a huge fan of the show & have the entire series on DVD, but (and correct me if I'm wrong here) the show seemed to be filmed for the most part on sets, and therefore already has a kind of washed-out quasi-documentary-style look (and I don't mean that as a criticism). I'm just not sure how much this would be improved on Blu - however, I'm not a technical expert when it comes to these issues.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:22 PM   #2408
Special Member

Jun 2007
USA

Quote:
Apples and oranges. Seinfeld still generates literally hundreds of millions in syndication. It still nets among the top ratings for sitcoms on cable, and new episodes haven’t been produced in over a decade and a half… It’s a license to print money. It plays multiple times, around prime time, every single night of the week. WB worries that releasing it on Blu would potentially undercut these profits. It has generated over 3 billion dollars in syndication since the final episode aired. That is an absolutely unfathomable amount for any syndicated television show - that's territory most blockbuster Hollywood franchises can’t touch. Imagine if a studio released a film that kept topping the box office week after a week for more than a decade, they’d never pull the damn thing from theaters.

This isn't the case with the X Files; it generates, comparatively, virtually nothing in syndication. The biggest channel to air it regularly in the US is the SyFy Channel, and they play it at like 3 in the morning every 750 years. They stand to make far more profit in Blu Ray sales than syndication generates for the show. It’s in Star Trek TNG (which generates far more in syndication than the X Files does) territory. There’s no reason for them to not release it.
Movies!

Last edited by Stinky-Dinkins; 03-07-2014 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:34 PM   #2409

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky-Dinkins View Post
Apples and oranges. Seinfeld still generates literally hundreds of millions in syndication. It still nets among the top ratings for sitcoms on cable, and new episodes haven’t been produced in over a decade and a half… It’s a license to print money. It plays multiple times, around prime time, every single night of the week. WB worries that releasing it on Blu would potentially undercut these profits, because as of right now the only way to see it in HD and 16X9 is on cable. It has generated over 3 billion dollars in syndication since the final episode aired. That is an absolutely unfathomable amount for any syndicated television show - that's territory most blockbuster Hollywood franchises can’t touch. Imagine if a studio released a film that kept topping the box office week after a week for more than a decade, they’d never pull the damn thing from theaters.

This isn't the case with the X Files; it generates, comparatively, virtually nothing in syndication. The biggest channel to air it regularly in the US is the SyFy Channel, and they play it at like 3 in the morning every 750 years. They stand to make far more profit in Blu Ray sales than syndication generates for the show. It’s in Star Trek TNG (which generates far more in syndication than the X Files does) territory. There’s no reason for them to not release it.
Good points re: a potential Seinfeld Blu. I remember it took forever for the show to hit regular DVD (very frustrating at the time), and the same reason was given - i.e., the show was doing very well in syndication & a DVD release would almost certainly reduce the amount of people that would watch the show on TV (especially since the DVD episodes included the entire episode, including the endings that had been edited out from the later broadcasts of the show).

Conversely, as you said, X-files is tough to catch these days (unless you have the DVD sets), and an upgrade to Blu is a no-brainer - it's very obvious the series would look much better than the regular DVD sets.

I myself have been avoiding buying X-files on the regular DVD's since I wasn't happy with the PQ, whereas in the case of Seinfeld I'm more than happy with the regular DVD's...

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 03-07-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:43 PM   #2410

Jan 2014
UK

By god this thread is a roller coaster of emotions, I am now again excited for a blu ray release, very good points about Seinfeld
Old 03-07-2014, 04:01 PM   #2411
Special Member

Jul 2008
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Well if they are still working on Season 6 for broadcast, again, maybe they are waiting to have them all finished and release them as a complete box set for Blu-ray. I would rather they go this route than releasing one or two seasons a year. Hopefully the wait will be worth it!
Old 03-07-2014, 04:41 PM   #2412

Jan 2014
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
Well if they are still working on Season 6 for broadcast, again, maybe they are waiting to have them all finished and release them as a complete box set for Blu-ray. I would rather they go this route than releasing one or two seasons a year. Hopefully the wait will be worth it!

Hoping for this too, I will shell out for each season but a complete collection on blu ray would be great, imagine all the special features too, easily this is the most anticipated blu ray release for me
Old 03-07-2014, 04:41 PM   #2413
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2012
Oklahoma

I would rather have them release single $129.00 retail releases that are discounted to $79 on release day than a huge 9 season box set that retails for over $1000.00 and is discounted to $700.00
George Lucas didn't rape anyone's childhood but he did ruin Star Wars.

Last edited by stvn1974; 03-07-2014 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:07 PM   #2414
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
I would rather have them release single $129.00 retail releases that are discounted to $79 on release day than a huge 9 season box set that retails for over $100 and is discounted for $700.00
I'd buy maybe the first two seasons if they released them separately, as it contains most of my favourite episodes but then I'd wait for a single series release. If the full set was the only option I'm not sure how much I'd spend on it. I'd hope for something lower than 75.

As to the syndication airings versus the Blu-ray release, I think they're two separate things. More than ever with home video we have consumers that are happy to watch, record and stream content they enjoy, with very little interest in buying the physical product. They're two different consumer groups. It's only a small cross section that will watch, record, stream and buy physical media. I think studios, if they're smart will look and approach them as two different races. One a sprint and the other a marathon.
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time.'' DM

Last edited by chip75; 03-07-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:12 PM   #2415
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
I'd buy maybe the first two seasons if they released them separately, as it contains most of my favourite episodes but then I'd wait for a single series release. If the full set was the only option I'm not sure how much I'd spend on it. I'd hope for something lower than 75.
I'd be in for 75, I paid that for Friends so it's a fair price.

I actually wouldn't want them to release individual seasons. It would cost way more than a box set.
My PSN Trophy Card | PS4 Tips, Tricks & Fixes
List of BD Movies That Have PS3 Themes
Pre-orders:Stargate SB|Anchorman2 SB|Vanishing Point SB|Eva 3.33|Gurren Lagann: Ultimate Edition|Mai Mai Miracle|The Place Promised in Our Early Days|009 RE:CYBORG 3D CE|
PS4|PS3 12gb Slim(1TB SATA HDD)|LG 42LW650T 3D LED|Toshiba BDX3100 (Multi-Region3D Player)|ONKYO HTX-22HD 5.1|Bush BFSAT01HD Freesat HD Box.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:20 PM   #2416

Feb 2014

I may be in the minority here, but the only way I am buying X-files on Blu is:

1) In one single set with all 9 seasons included (preferably with both feature films on Blu as well, but if those aren't included I'll just get them separately)...or,

2) If the series is released as individual seasons all at one time, so I can buy them all at once - I'd prefer not to do this, but will if that's the only way I can get this.

Howver, I will not buy these if their plan is to release the series like they did with the DVD's, i.e. 1-3 seasons per year over a period of several years. If they go this route, there's a chance that the entire series won't be released on Blu - and, I don't want to buy part of the series & end up with an incomplete Blu set; this is one of the reasons I'm not buying The Sopranos on Blu...

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 03-07-2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:25 PM   #2417
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2012
Oklahoma

These are not going to be as cheap as the Friends box set. They are most likely going to be in line with the pricing of the Star Trek seasons at retail of $129.00 per season. No way the entire 9 seasons gets released for under $200.
George Lucas didn't rape anyone's childhood but he did ruin Star Wars.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:30 PM   #2418
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
I'd be in for 75, I paid that for Friends so it's a fair price.

I actually wouldn't want them to release individual seasons. It would cost way more than a box set.
I think Friends series is a good comparison, we don't have many 10 year run shows. LOST had six, Fringe 5 and they've been reasonably priced if you have the patience and competitively priced for the 'must-have' collector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
These are not going to be as cheap as the Friends box set. They are most likely going to be in line with the pricing of the Star Trek seasons at retail of $129.00 per season. No way the entire 9 seasons gets released for under $200.
I think the Star Trek pricing is an anomaly. Paramount know Trek fans will pay over the going rate for season sets. But to be fair to them they've done stunning work, even if it's too expensive for some fans.
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time.'' DM
Old 03-07-2014, 06:40 PM   #2419
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
I think Friends series is a good comparison, we don't have many 10 year run shows. LOST had six, Fringe 5 and they've been reasonably priced if you have the patience and competitively priced for the 'must-have' collector.

I think the Star Trek pricing is an anomaly. Paramount know Trek fans will pay over the going rate for season sets. But to be fair to them they've done stunning work, even if it's too expensive for some fans.
Yeah, I'm praying they don't follow the Satr Trek route in both pricing and spreading the single seasons so far apart.

Just the first three seasons of Star Trek have been priced over 100 since forever. Only rarely has it dropped below that. And 50 +/- a season for TNG/Enterprise is way too much, even for me
My PSN Trophy Card | PS4 Tips, Tricks & Fixes
List of BD Movies That Have PS3 Themes
Pre-orders:Stargate SB|Anchorman2 SB|Vanishing Point SB|Eva 3.33|Gurren Lagann: Ultimate Edition|Mai Mai Miracle|The Place Promised in Our Early Days|009 RE:CYBORG 3D CE|
PS4|PS3 12gb Slim(1TB SATA HDD)|LG 42LW650T 3D LED|Toshiba BDX3100 (Multi-Region3D Player)|ONKYO HTX-22HD 5.1|Bush BFSAT01HD Freesat HD Box.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:46 PM   #2420
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
Edge of the Accretion Disc

Quote:
You could be right, matey, but I'd suggest the price of the Star Trek sets also reflects the cost of the extra graphic work that was done on the enhanced versions of every episode.

If a Blu release of X-Files represents the level of enhancement and restoration work a lot of people seem to be hoping will go into it, then the Star Trek price per set might well turn out to be a good indicator for X-Files as well. And if Paramount charged what the Trekkie market would bear, then I can't see Fox underestimating the willingness of X-Philes to pay similarly through the nose.

Bummer, eh?

(P.S. I know boasting is bad form, but I got all three Star Trek seasons on Blu here in Australia for less than 20 apiece. Just sometimes the Price Gods smile on we Aussies!)

Last edited by MacEachaidh; 03-07-2014 at 06:50 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists