Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Kingpin (Blu-ray)
$14.39
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.95
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Red Cliff Part I & II (Blu-ray)
$13.39
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.91
McLintock! (Blu-ray)
$10.20
John Carter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Warrior (Blu-ray)
$5.00
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 10-22-2014, 06:47 AM   #781
Special Member

Feb 2011
London, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper View Post
Nick Fury wasn't ever all that popular, so they took a chance and I think that they benefited because of it.

Dr Strange is a bit more established, and changing him would be a very bad idea. Part of his appeal is that he was your very stereotypical upper class white man who thought he was better than anyone in the world, and had no time for the 'little' people--which was everyone else but him. He was the highest possible social strata in the 1960s--a neurosurgeon--which elevated him high above even the other doctors of the time. Then he lost it all in an accident, and his whole personality changed and he became someone who puts his life on the line to protect people he doesn't even know exist.
Not convinced that being white makes any difference. All that's important is that he's an arrogant neurosurgeon.

Thor is a Norse God so he's got to look somewhat Scandinavian. Captain America wouldn't have become a wartime icon if he were black. Those are much more compelling arguments.

And Nick Fury was fairly popular, just not with you.

Look, as I've said, I think Benedict Cumberbatch is the man. I just think the other possibilities mentioned aren't that strong and I'd rather they expanded the search than cast someone like Keanu Reeves or Ewan McGregor. Or go with an unknown.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:12 AM   #782
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012
USA

Quote:
Nick Fury wasn't ever all that popular, so they took a chance and I think that they benefited because of it.
MCU Nick Fury is black because the character is inspired by the incarnation from the Ultimate Marvel continuity, who was modeled after Samuel L. Jackson himself (Marvel asked permission for his likeness and everything). Taking a chance doesn't have much to do with it at all.
"We got this, man! We got this by the ass!"
Thanks given by:
djakrse (10-22-2014)
Old 10-22-2014, 07:23 AM   #783

Jun 2012
Texas, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Guycott View Post
MCU Nick Fury is black because the character is inspired by the incarnation from the Ultimate Marvel continuity, who was modeled after Samuel L. Jackson himself (Marvel asked permission for his likeness and everything). Taking a chance doesn't have much to do with it at all.
I had seen comic book images already. I had no idea, but I guessed they must have made the comics in anticipation of the movies to come out. Learn something new every day.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:26 AM   #784
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by djakrse View Post
I had seen comic book images already. I had no idea, but I guessed they must have made the comics in anticipation of the movies to come out. Learn something new every day.
The Ultimate comics started in 2000, so it wasn't something they planned for anything in the future; they just thought it'd be fun.

It was more like, "let's put Nick Fury at the end of Iron Man to tease the Avengers, and let's make him Ultimate Nick Fury since he already looks like SLJ!"
"We got this, man! We got this by the ass!"

Last edited by Thomas Guycott; 10-22-2014 at 07:31 AM.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:02 AM   #785
Suspended

Mar 2013

if u guys have seen count of monte christo where jim cazaviel wears the red robe/cape. he kinda looks like strange, except hes older now which would be even better since strange is average aged man.
Thanks given by:
The Dragon (10-22-2014)
Old 10-22-2014, 02:45 PM   #786
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2009
Default @ Iroquois Pliskin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dragon
How about Jim Caviezel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dragon View Post
Or-and I know it'll never, ever, happen...

Probably THE ABSOLUTE BEST:

I'd mentioned these two before, with little to no interest.

Gear:
Monitor Audio RS 6's 6.1
Definitive Technology Super Cube 1
Oppo BDP-103
Oppo Dv-981
Pioneer ELITE VSX-92
Panamax M 5400-EX
SAMSUNG 8500
Old 10-22-2014, 02:52 PM   #787
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2012

I think Luke Evans would be the perfect choice for Dr. Strange
My mancave:

Displays - Sony Bravia 3D 55HX800, Epson 3D 3020 (124")
Players - Sony BDP-S570, Sony BDP-S590
Game system - Sony PS3 320GB
Computer - Mac 27" i5 1 terabyte hdd (1 terabyte back up hdd)
Portable Devices - iPad (4th gen A6 64GB), MacBook Pro (17" i5 500GB), iPod Touch (5th gen A5 32GB)
Old 10-22-2014, 02:53 PM   #788
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by duggie walker View Post
Not convinced that being white makes any difference. All that's important is that he's an arrogant neurosurgeon.

Thor is a Norse God so he's got to look somewhat Scandinavian. Captain America wouldn't have become a wartime icon if he were black. Those are much more compelling arguments.
In this day and age, its nothing for a black man to be a neurosurgeon, the opportunity is there for the taking. But in the 1960s it would have been far more difficult for that to happen.

It would bother me only from the standpoint that changing popular characters races/ages/sexes/personalities bothers me. I want adaptations to be as true to the source material as is possible, and these factors come into play.

Quote:
And Nick Fury was fairly popular, just not with you.
Not mainstream popular. Though admittedly, Dr Strange does fall into the same category...though I do I think he always did have a bit more of a following than Fury. Back in the heyday of comic collecting you couldn't get any money for a Nick Fury comic (unless it was from the 60s) and the bulk wound up in the 10 cent bin, and while Doctor Strange's were in there also there were many that had value because they were still sought after.

Quote:
Look, as I've said, I think Benedict Cumberbatch is the man. I just think the other possibilities mentioned aren't that strong and I'd rather they expanded the search than cast someone like Keanu Reeves or Ewan McGregor. Or go with an unknown.
Well, if they do decide to go with a black man I would seriously hope they consider Denzel Washington. Though I worry he may be too old for the role.

I'm not sure about Benedict Cumberbatch though. He's a fantastic actor, but I just can't see it. Keanu...that could be interesting. I think in most films he's either really good, or really bad. I always get the impression from him that he's trying to hide the true tone of his voice...like he's making it sound deeper than it actually is. Always makes him come off as being stiff.

Ewan McGregor...he would be excellent, because he's quite good but I'm not sure about him either.

How about this out of left field....Robert Pattinson. Yeah...Twilight and those movies are terrible. But he was excellent in Water for Elephants, and I think he could pull the role off pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Guycott View Post
Took a chance in the comics, rather. Black Fury happened in 2000, and looked nothing like Jackson. But changing the character in the comics to use Jackson's likeness after the films came about was brilliant.
My intentionally modest living room HT setup:
[Show spoiler]TV: Samsung UN40D6420UF Receiver: Marantz 1604 BD: Sony S5100 Speakers: Polk TL250 5.1 Set Subwoofer: Polk PSW111
Also a PS3 & Xbox 360 user.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:48 PM   #789

Jun 2012
Texas, USA

Quote:
Well, if they do decide to go with a black man I would seriously hope they consider Denzel Washington. Though I worry he may be too old for the role.
That's a good suggestion, he definitely has ability, but would he be willing to be all *gestures with arms in the air* magical? Still, I prefer not changing characteristics myself.
Quote:
I'm not sure about Benedict Cumberbatch though. He's a fantastic actor, but I just can't see it.
Can't see it? He could certainly play the role of the early character well, and I think he'd be game for *gestures with arms in the air* magical stuff. He also has the voice for spells and an air of authority that would rival RDJ. It's funny, at first I thought you were saying Cumberbatch was trying to make his voice sound deeper.
Quote:
How about this out of left field....Robert Pattinson. Yeah...Twilight and those movies are terrible. But he was excellent in Water for Elephants, and I think he could pull the role off pretty well.
I only know him from Harry Potter and Twilight unfortunately. Isn't he too young? I'm not sure he would look good with the beard. I suppose he'd also be up for *gestures with arms in the air* magic, but maybe not quite the air of authority to command respect? I read somewhere he'd have to be able to command his own authority in a room with RDJ. Not exactly sure why that would be though.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:31 PM   #790
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by djakrse View Post
That's a good suggestion, he definitely has ability, but would he be willing to be all *gestures with arms in the air* magical? Still, I prefer not changing characteristics myself.
Agreed, I'd rather it be as close to the original source as possible.

Quote:
Can't see it? He could certainly play the role of the early character well, and I think he'd be game for *gestures with arms in the air* magical stuff. He also has the voice for spells and an air of authority that would rival RDJ. It's funny, at first I thought you were saying Cumberbatch was trying to make his voice sound deeper.
Cumberbatch's voice is why I can't see it. It's too distracting; its more of a villainous voice IMHO.

Quote:
I read somewhere he'd have to be able to command his own authority in a room with RDJ. Not exactly sure why that would be though.
IMHO, it's the job of the writers to write that "command of authority" into the character, the actor's job to perform it, and the directors job to make sure both are done well.

If RDJ is 'taking over' the set, then that's a problem that needs to be corrected. Besides, whoever they cast in a stand alone movie will have that film under their belt, and the commanding presence will be fleshed out before they get into the next film with RDJ.
My intentionally modest living room HT setup:
[Show spoiler]TV: Samsung UN40D6420UF Receiver: Marantz 1604 BD: Sony S5100 Speakers: Polk TL250 5.1 Set Subwoofer: Polk PSW111
Also a PS3 & Xbox 360 user.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:15 PM   #791

Jun 2012
Texas, USA

Quote:
IMHO, it's the job of the writers to write that "command of authority" into the character, the actor's job to perform it, and the directors job to make sure both are done well.

If RDJ is 'taking over' the set, then that's a problem that needs to be corrected. Besides, whoever they cast in a stand alone movie will have that film under their belt, and the commanding presence will be fleshed out before they get into the next film with RDJ.
Still, if everyone does their job right, not just anyone can own that performance. Dr. Strange has dealings with the most powerful beings in the universe. He's a genius, has taken the reigns throughout his life, he is a man of utmost confidence and power, and changed his outlook from being self-centered to using his vast knowledge for good. You need a person of strong character to handle this role. Maybe Pattinson is literally too nice of a guy to be able to handle that and we need someone who sounds slightly villainous.

When I said hold his own with RDJ, I meant someone who can grab a scene as he can. There was several points in CATWS, where Chris Evans is standing face to face with SLJ, discussing how SHIELD operates, slightly above the law, where cap has to speak his distrust of what they do, how they do it, and SLJ tells him he "needs to get with the program." That was impressive for me, because he was literally standing in front of SLJ and telling him he disagreed.... er, with Nick Fury.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Tags
comic book movie, doctor strange, marvel, mcu, supernatural