Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The X-Files: Event Series (Blu-ray)
$19.98
The Witch (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Independence Day (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Deadpool (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Huntsman: Winter's War (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$85.71
The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (Blu-ray)
$16.49
Deadpool 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.96
The New World (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Deadline - U.S.A. (Blu-ray)
$16.49
Ip Man Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$29.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 01-08-2016, 07:20 AM   #3581

Sep 2014

As a franchise, I think the best is Friday the 13th. None of it's films are as good as the best ones in the Halloween and Elm Street franchises, but I think it's the easiest to watch as a series, since MOST of them are about on the same level of quality in my opinion, and they're all fun to watch for the most part. The first 4 films especially have a very consistent tone, even with a change in killer, and all the films work well when watched together. Halloween is my favorite horror movie of all time, and I love a few of it's sequels (II, 4, H20), but I think they were always trying way too hard to capture the magic of the original film, and the franchise goes through so many drastic changes, and plenty of forgettable and outright horrible films (5, Curse, Resurrection). I've only seen movies 1-4 of Elm Street (and New Nightmare), but I think that franchise is in a similar boat with an excellent original film and inconsistent (and even polarizing) sequels.

Scream would probably be a close second for me. I enjoy all four films. Yes, the third is the worst, but in my opinion, it's more mediocre than outright bad. I really wish it would get a proper ending though. The ending to #4 would be a horrible place to end the series.

I'm not counting any of the TV spinoffs (Friday the 13th: The Series, Freddy's Nightmares, Scream: The TV Series).
Thanks given by:
JaseT (01-09-2016), kidglov3s (01-09-2016), KillaCam (01-21-2016)
Old 01-08-2016, 07:52 AM   #3582
Power Member

Mar 2011
Buffalo NY

Halloween and Phantasm are my favorite horror franchises. After that I would rank them TCM, Friday and then Nightmare. Though I do like the 1st Nightmare on Elm St more than any Friday movie.
Escape From New York Scream Factory
It improves upon the A/V quality of the previous MGM Blu-ray, preserves the best of the 2003 DVD extras, and adds great new material too. Donít miss it!
The Digital bits
Old 01-08-2016, 06:23 PM   #3583

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw89 View Post
Here's the real question, is it the greatest horror franchise of all time?
Yes.

Franchise wise, I'm only considering the endlessly high sequel count ones like 13th/Halloween/NOES.

This series is more imaginatively entertaining and offers more depth and subtext. The first Halloween may be the scariest film though, because it has that "it could happen" going for it amongst many other things and Jason is just f'n brutal.

They are all a lot of fun to watch (the non boring entries that is), but NOES gets numero uno for me
Thanks given by:
jdw89 (01-08-2016), UltraMario9 (02-22-2016), WhiteTim (01-08-2016)
Old 01-09-2016, 04:39 AM   #3584
Special Member

Jul 2009

The Freddy themed Midnight Madness available from Fright Rags.

[Show spoiler]

Old 01-09-2016, 04:51 AM   #3585
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2014
Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrant_33 View Post
The Freddy themed Midnight Madness available from Fright Rags.

[Show spoiler]

That's a pretty awesome shirt actually to showcase the worst film of the Nightmare franchise. Freddy's Dead blows, BAD!!!!! But, it's still fun, and still a sequel in my favorite franchise. When I do a full Nightmare marathon, not one sequel gets skipped. Not even Freddy's Dead! Lol!!
Old 01-09-2016, 12:54 PM   #3586
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009
Shropshire, UK
Send a message via MSN to dallywhitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffOliver View Post
As a franchise, I think the best is Friday the 13th. None of it's films are as good as the best ones in the Halloween and Elm Street franchises, but I think it's the easiest to watch as a series, since MOST of them are about on the same level of quality in my opinion, and they're all fun to watch for the most part.
This, this, this. Of the three franchises, I think Friday is the most consistently entertaining. I love Halloween and Elm Street but the problem is that both films were followed by some really mediocre sequels that are a chore to re-watch. The only Friday film I outright dislike is the remake and it's easy enough to pretend it doesn't exist.

In regards to Freddy entering the real world in Freddy's Revenge - meh, never bothered me. We saw in the first film that he could enter the real world. It's just that he does it via different means in this particular film. It's not like he ever tried to possess Nancy like he does Jesse so I don't think it's as contradictory as people make it out to be. And that pool scene is amazing. "You are all my children now."
Why? Why are the innocent punished? Why the sacrifice? Why the pain? There aren't any promises. Nothing certain. Only that some get called, some get saved.
She won't ever know the hardship and grief for those of us left behind. We commit these bodies to the void with a glad heart. For within each seed, there is a promise of a flower.
And within each death, no matter how small, there's always a new life. A new beginning. Amen.

Last edited by dallywhitty; 01-09-2016 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:56 PM   #3587
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2014
Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallywhitty View Post
This, this, this. Of the three franchises, I think Friday is the most consistently entertaining. I love Halloween and Elm Street but the problem is that both films were followed by some really mediocre sequels that are a chore to re-watch. The only Friday film I outright dislike is the remake and it's easy enough to pretend it doesn't exist.

In regards to Freddy entering the real world in Freddy's Revenge - meh, never bothered me. We saw in the first film that he could enter the real world. It's just that he does it via different means in this particular film. It's not like he ever tried to possess Nancy like he does Jesse so I don't think it's as contradictory as people make it out to be. And that pool scene is amazing. "You are all my children now."
I'll give you that the Friday franchise is more consistent as far as the style of the sequels went, but Freddy is such a cooler slasher IMO. The Nightmare remake is about 100 times worse than the Friday remake by the way. Absolutely dreadful!!!!!!!!
Old 01-15-2016, 04:11 AM   #3588

May 2015

The first NOES movie I ever saw was Freddy's Dead when I was 12 and I absolutely loved it!

My Uncle owned them all on VHS and Freddy's Dead always caught my attention because of the awesome fold out cover. So I started watching them all from the beginning. When I was younger I never cared much for the first 2 but I loved Dream Warriors. 4 & 5 I've only ever watched twice through and haven't had much interest in re-watching over the years. I still love Freddy's Dead. New Nightmare was really different and creepy and I re-watched that a few times when I was younger but haven't seen it in about 15 years.

I still love Dream Warriors and Freddy's Dead and have re-watched both of them at-least a dozen times or more but none of the others really do much for me and that includes the original. I prefer funny Freddy.
Thanks given by:
GasmaskAvenger (02-04-2016)
Old 01-15-2016, 04:21 AM   #3589
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffOliver View Post
As a franchise, I think the best is Friday the 13th. None of it's films are as good as the best ones in the Halloween and Elm Street franchises, but I think it's the easiest to watch as a series, since MOST of them are about on the same level of quality in my opinion, and they're all fun to watch for the most part. The first 4 films especially have a very consistent tone, even with a change in killer, and all the films work well when watched together. Halloween is my favorite horror movie of all time, and I love a few of it's sequels (II, 4, H20), but I think they were always trying way too hard to capture the magic of the original film, and the franchise goes through so many drastic changes, and plenty of forgettable and outright horrible films (5, Curse, Resurrection). I've only seen movies 1-4 of Elm Street (and New Nightmare), but I think that franchise is in a similar boat with an excellent original film and inconsistent (and even polarizing) sequels.

Scream would probably be a close second for me. I enjoy all four films. Yes, the third is the worst, but in my opinion, it's more mediocre than outright bad. I really wish it would get a proper ending though. The ending to #4 would be a horrible place to end the series.

I'm not counting any of the TV spinoffs (Friday the 13th: The Series, Freddy's Nightmares, Scream: The TV Series).
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallywhitty View Post

Every single entry in the Friday series is a straight up B-movie exploitation style film.

Even the good ones, like Final Chapter and part 2, aren't especially well made movies in terms of theme, acting, dialogue and photography.

The original Nightmare and New Nightmare actually make the attempt to be something more than B-movie slashers.

...I appreciate that.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:43 PM   #3590

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jackson View Post
Every single entry in the Friday series is a straight up B-movie exploitation style film.

Even the good ones, like Final Chapter and part 2, aren't especially well made movies in terms of theme, acting, dialogue and photography.

The original Nightmare and New Nightmare actually make the attempt to be something more than B-movie slashers.

...I appreciate that.
Well I happen to really love "b-movie exploitation style" films, especially slashers, and almost every Friday film (especially the first four) reflect that. No franchise does it better!

And I did say in my original post that no Friday film is as good as the best films in the Nightmare and Halloween series. I would agree that the original Nightmare on Elm Street, New Nightmare, as well as Dream Warriors are better than any Friday film (and the original Halloween is one of my favorite films ever). However, as a SERIES, the Friday films are more consistent in quality, since they're almost all unabashed b-movie exploitation-style slashers. They're weren't trying to be great or even good films, just entertaining. There's something I love about that. The worst films in the Halloween and Nightmare series were trying way too hard to live up to the originals and failed, resulting in both series being very inconsistent. Yeah there's a couple very bad stinkers in the Friday series too, but for the most part, the franchise as a whole works the best as a series.
Thanks given by:
EvilResident (02-17-2016)
Old 01-21-2016, 05:00 AM   #3591

Dec 2009
Minneapolis, MN

I'm sure this has been asked, but does anyone know if they have plans to release New Nightmare as a standalone blu? I have the first and this is the only other I want.
Thanks given by:
happydood (01-21-2016)
Old 01-21-2016, 03:00 PM   #3592
Expert Member

Oct 2013
S.E. Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopPunkNerd182 View Post
I'm sure this has been asked, but does anyone know if they have plans to release New Nightmare as a standalone blu? I have the first and this is the only other I want.
Nothing's been announced, and it's very doubtful. A double feature with Freddy's Dead is more likely than a stand-alone. The disc already exists, and would just need to be repackaged, as WB did with the Friday the 13th films late last year. It's already been released as such in other countries. My advice: Sell the first and buy the collection. It goes on sale for $25 every Halloween.
For sale: Star Wars: The Force Awakens Blu-ray + DVD + Digital HD in Target exclusive fold-out digipak packaging. MINT, like new, still partially shrink-wrapped. Includes digital code from standard edition; NOT with Target-exclusive content. Asking $15 SHIPPED OBO. PayPal only. Contact via PM!
Old 01-21-2016, 03:09 PM   #3593
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2012
WI, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jackson View Post

...I appreciate that.
I agree. The worst NOES movie is still far more creative in terms of visuals and ideas than the best Friday the 13th (well, unless you count Freddy Vs Jason as a Friday the 13th movie). The only one in the entire Friday the 13th series that even rises to the level of NOES 5 is Part 4, IMO. :P They're not really operating in the same wheelhouse, though, since Friday the 13th's concept gives almost no room for anything interesting to happen.
Thanks given by:
BillieCassin (02-04-2016), UltraMario9 (02-22-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 05:38 PM   #3594

Jan 2014

acaa3f7f6d840e48cd5addb119a13fef.jpg
Ring any bells?
Old 02-04-2016, 08:29 PM   #3595
Power Member

Jul 2014
Fresno, California, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Mammoth View Post
No, after 3 they were horrible. More comedy than horror.
I think that's rather questionable, since they are some downright horrifying kills in Dream Master and Dream Child.

Having Freddy break your arms as you try to do some weightlifting reps, only for some oversized insect arms sprout out of the entry wounds sounds really silly, but the execution in the film itself is quite disgusting and will linger in your head hours after watching it. Same goes for Greta's death in Dream Child (uncut version makes it even more stomach churning).
Old 02-13-2016, 04:48 AM   #3596

Jul 2010
Iowa, USA

Heads up! Any DISH customers who get the El Rey network, they are running episodes of "Freddys Nightmares" and the movies.

Freddys Nightmares starts tomorrow morning (Sat) at 5 am Central time, with "No More Mr. Nice Guy" (the coveted pilot episode) on at 8 AM. They are running another block from 5 am - 9 am Sun morning as well.

Set your DVRS!!
PSN ID: pts1985
Xbox Gamertag: PTS1985
Set up:
Game Consoles
Playstation 4, Xbox One, Playstation 3, Nintendo Wii, Nintendo DS Lite
Theater Setup:

Samsung 50" 1080p display
Samsung 7.1 Surround Sound
Old 02-17-2016, 03:18 AM   #3597
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2008

NOES is my favorite horror franchise. They're way more creative and just better than Friday the 13th. I really enjoy parts 1, 3, 4, and 5.
58" Samsung Plasma 1080p
Playstation 3
Xbox 360
Onkyo TX-SR606 Receiver
Polk Audio RM6750 5.1 Speakers
50" Samsung Plasma in the bedroom
Old 02-17-2016, 03:30 AM   #3598

Jan 2014

Snapshot_20160130_161436.jpg
Old 02-18-2016, 02:06 AM   #3599

Dec 2011

I apologize for my ignorance, but I don't want to comb through the whole thread so very quickly: I am selling off a whole bunch of my DVDs which I replaced with Blus. Did the BD version of the first film include real mono, or just a crappy downmix like the Infinifilm version?
Old 02-18-2016, 05:09 PM   #3600
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 View Post
Did the BD version of the first film include real mono, or just a crappy downmix like the Infinifilm version?
It's real mono. Now ask me if it stays in sync through the whole movie.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America