COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Y Tu Mamá También (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$18.96
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$74.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Once Upon a Time: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Friends: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$110.00
Only Lovers Left Alive (Blu-ray)
$23.59
Game of Thrones - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Tekken 2: Kazuya's Revenge (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Chuck: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$66.99
Hook (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Steins;Gate: Anime Classics Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$31.69
Back to the Future Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Cannibal Holocaust (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Twin Peaks: The Entire Mystery (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 5 (Blu-ray)
$25.89

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 12-10-2010, 04:33 AM   #41

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivehead View Post

my vote goes to the samsung 6500. i usually go sony, but got the samsung as a back up player and find myself using it more than my sony. so far no issues with BD play or streaming content. plus is has vudu, and use vudu for streaming movies more than any other service.
I wanted to like this player but after a day of screwing around with the wifi in my friend house, I cannot even stand to look at it anymore. I think he sent it back. Sure, bad luck. As biased as it might be, my vote goes to the BD590.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:19 PM   #42

Dec 2010
Default Streaming Netflix via BD6500 Frame rate measuring?

I tried posting this in a new thread but was advised that my membership was too new to post new threads. I'm posting here with the hope of getting some/any attention on this.

Is there any way to measure frame rate while watching a movie streamed via Samsung Internet@TV?

New setup since last weekend. All new equip including a 50" Samsung Plasma, Samsung Blu Ray internet connectible player, Zoom cable modem and Netgear n150 router.

I was watching "The Bountyhunter" last night. It's about the 10th movie I'd watched via streaming netflix through the Samsung.

I started noticing strobe effects in body movements, automobiles moving, etc. I recognized it as low frame rate and just googled "netflix frame rates per second" and found plenty to confirm my worries right on the first of many pages.

http://netflixcommunity.ning.com/mai.....mment:959231

Is there a method of determining FPS when streaming via the blu ray player? I just called netflix and they have logs which indicate that last night while I was watching "The Bountyhunter" my speed was as high as 21mb and never lower than 9mb. Very good. Netflix tech asst assured me that frame rate was very unlikely to be impaired at that speed. Charter tech asst (i have not checked with them) is surely going to tell me the same thing. Yet there is no doubt that I was witnessing it with my own eyes.

What's the next step?
Old 12-26-2010, 04:10 AM   #43

Dec 2010

Having owned the LG BD570 just two days ago and now currently using the Samsung C6500, I can safely say LG is doing it WAY better. I mean, if you're like me and will not tolerate LAG when pressing buttons, steer clear of the Samsung. I've updated the firmware and everything functions, but not as I would like it to. I bought the LG two days ago and took it back because it was missing Youtube's "My subscriptions" tab. I got this Samsung but I'm very disappointed. It really is true though, when it comes to electronics, certain companies specialize on certain products and they shine. Samsung makes the best TVs, in my opinion, for instance but their C6500 unit sucks. BTW, the Samsung is missing the "my subscriptions" tab also, needless to say, this one is going back too. I'm down to the Sony now.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:48 PM   #44

Dec 2010

Need some help on this. I've been reading through the thread, but haven't gotten a clear cut answer.

I bought the Samsung yesterday because Best Buy had an abundance of them and the CS rep said that he'd recommend this one to me over the Sony and LG (although they were out of both).

I want to get the LG because I have a TV and it just makes more sense to keep it all in the family. I've also read good things about it and the Sony.

I don't have surround, I have a 720p TV, and the WiFi is only needed because my router is too far away to get updates. I could care less about the apps as I have an XBox, iPhone, and a Mac.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:05 AM   #45

Mar 2009
Hell on Earth

I'm thinkin of getting the LG BD690 It's goin for $250 on Amazon, the older model is still around that price $230. Should I might as well jus get the newer model instead? I always wanted it, the LG BD590... especially for the 250gb HDD!

is the newer model of better aesthetics, better build-quality? From the small pics I've seen, looks nice. I know the big difference is that its 3d compatible now, unlike the older model. How's the upscaling of sd dvds?
Some players i own:

Oppo BDP-83
Oppo BDP-93
Sony BDPS1000ES
PS3
Old 04-19-2011, 04:02 PM   #46

Feb 2010
Default Lg bd590

I had this player for less than a day. I was replacing my old Panasonic which was moved up to the bedroom. First thing I noticed was how cheap the disc tray was on the LG. The way it is designed it was hard to put a disc in and get it out. Minor annoyance though... Picture quality was important and I had read great things about the LG. First I put in a reliable and good looking DVD that was next to the tv. Compared to my Panasonic I was unimpressed. The picture was soft and not very clear. It was actually about he same as my old Toshiba DVD/VCR that I keep for old VHS tapes. Maybe the up-converting just wasn't as good... on to blu-ray! Again, no pop or life to the picture. I messed with the settings, it was clear I guess, but that jaw dropping clarity that I expected just wasn't there. Tried a few different discs and realized that this just wasn't the player for me. I ended up replacing it with a Toshiba Blu-ray player that has power issues, have to unplug it every now and then to get it to start. The Toshiba excels in picture quality! It is definitely the equal of my old Panasonic for both DVD and Blu-ray.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:11 PM   #47

Nov 2012

I've had the BD590 for two years now and I've never had an issue. Worked perfectly. HDD is awesome and plays all my media files, audio, images, and video with no issues. Just wish they didn't move to producing the BD690, because I've heard awful reviews about that model (3D - hate it) plus unreliability. Unfortunately, they seemed to have discontinued production of the BD590. I wish I could find one for my bedroom.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:16 AM   #48

Oct 2012
Hollywood, CA
USA

My LG 590 has been having intermittent problems throughout the 2 years I've had it. LOTS of locking up, so bad NOTHING would work but unplugging it. Never got the promised update to add Amazon streaming despite menu having a "coming soon" placeholder. No Hulu Plus. Netflix has had problems with this hardware. Player would often spit out discs that were pristinely not defective. Now every time a Blu Ray disc is loaded it makes a funny noise and spits out the disc. You. Customer service said clean the lens. Had Maxell DVD lens cleaner. Worked once. Next disc same problem, then they told me to go buy a special Blu Ray disc cleaner, as if that made a difference. (they use the same lens for both, so it won't) CST promised me he would work something out but weeks went by and when I called yesterday I was told the executive level denied the help request a week ago, so I guess they figured I'd just give up and they didn't even bother to notify me. I bought an LG LED TV at same time, first two returned to Amazon because of problems. existing LG TV has ongoing problems that LG techs can't fix and company won't. DO NOT BUY LG.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders