Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Strain: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Kingdom of Heaven (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Banshee: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Oculus (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Poltergeist II: The Other Side / Poltergeist III (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Book Thief (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Cowboy Bebop: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Mission: Impossible Quadrilogy (Blu-ray)
$21.98
Jurassic World 3D Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$79.96
Home (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Rick and Morty: Season One (Blu-ray)
$14.99
X-Men: Days of Future Past - The Rogue Cut (Blu-ray)
$49.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 06-16-2015, 04:29 PM   #13461
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011
Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMLVC View Post

I hope he can get better seeing as it's in the early stages.

I wish him all the best.
Why is the rum gone?
Old 06-29-2015, 09:46 PM   #13462

Mar 2015

So I picked up the Alien Quadrilogy on blu ray the other day, does anyone know why Aliens is full screen and the other 3 are not? It also seems like the picture quality is a bit inferior with noticeable grains on Aliens. That would be my only real issue with this, I have no problem watching full screen movies I just wish they were consistent to have all 4 movies wide screen or vice versa...
Old 06-29-2015, 09:53 PM   #13463
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Streak View Post
So I picked up the Alien Quadrilogy on blu ray the other day, does anyone know why Aliens is full screen and the other 3 are not? It also seems like the picture quality is a bit inferior with noticeable grains on Aliens. That would be my only real issue with this, I have no problem watching full screen movies I just wish they were consistent to have all 4 movies wide screen or vice versa...
Because Aliens was shot on 35mm while the other three were shot on Super 35mm. So, you have a 1.85:1 ratio for Aliens (1986) and 2.39:1 for the other three. Aliens is supposed to be that grainy. Cameron wanted to use Super 35mm after he shot Aliens because then he realized he could get much wider and grander shots. He also had a problem with budget restrictions. If you'll notice Cameron shot The Terminator (1984) in 35mm as well, but switched to Super 35mm for The Abyss (1989), which was his next film after Aliens.

If you're still confused this thread will help you: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=183967
"I'll be there... around every corner... in every empty room... as inevitable as your guilty conscience..."
My Motion Picture Collection
My Vinyl Collection
My VUDU Collection
PSN: HD_Goofnut
World of Tanks: HD_Goofnut

Last edited by HD Goofnut; 06-29-2015 at 09:58 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:54 PM   #13464
Blu-ray Prince

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Aliens is widescreen
Old 06-29-2015, 11:13 PM   #13465
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
Because Aliens was shot on 35mm while the other three were shot on Super 35mm. So, you have a 1.85:1 ratio for Aliens (1986) and 2.39:1 for the other three. Aliens is supposed to be that grainy. Cameron wanted to use Super 35mm after he shot Aliens because then he realized he could get much wider and grander shots. He also had a problem with budget restrictions. If you'll notice Cameron shot The Terminator (1984) in 35mm as well, but switched to Super 35mm for The Abyss (1989), which was his next film after Aliens.

If you're still confused this thread will help you: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=183967
No no no, Alien and Alien 3 were shot anamorphic while only Resurrection was shot S35. And using S35 for Cameron's later movies has nothing to do with "wider and grander shots", it's about the fast film stock having progressed to the point where it didn't turn hellishly grainy for a 2.35 extraction. Cameron said in the audio commentary that he would've used S35 for Aliens but the stock was just too grainy for his liking to use with that process.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:19 PM   #13466
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
No no no, Alien and Alien 3 were shot anamorphic while only Resurrection was shot S35. And using S35 for Cameron's later movies has nothing to do with "wider and grander shots", it's about the fast film stock having progressed to the point where it didn't turn hellishly grainy for a 2.35 extraction. Cameron said in the audio commentary that he would've used S35 for Aliens but the stock was just too grainy for his liking to use with that process.
Well, at least I had the ratio right. I never claimed to be a camera expert.
"I'll be there... around every corner... in every empty room... as inevitable as your guilty conscience..."
My Motion Picture Collection
My Vinyl Collection
My VUDU Collection
PSN: HD_Goofnut
World of Tanks: HD_Goofnut
Old 06-29-2015, 11:20 PM   #13467
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

I'm not used to "full screen" meaning 16:9 yet.
Thanks given by:
Donat96 (06-30-2015), GasmaskAvenger (06-30-2015), Geoff D (06-30-2015), Lt. Brannigan (06-30-2015)
Old 06-29-2015, 11:27 PM   #13468

Jun 2014
UT

What HD Goofnut said in regards to the aspect ratios is correct.
Alien and Alien 3 were both shot 35mm anamorphic.
Aliens 35mm spherical.
Alien Resurrection was shot in Super 35mm.

I believe one of the big reasons why Cameron has preferred Super 35 over the years is the ease of shooting and compositing special effects by not having to accommodate anamorphic distortion. His early aversion to anamorphic stemmed from inexperience and difficulties endured while doing visual effects on Escape from New York.

Alien and Aliens both look fantastic in their respective ratios and excellent detail.

Best regards,
KvE
Old 06-30-2015, 12:27 AM   #13469

Jun 2015

Quote:
Wait, Aliens was cropped to full screen in the Quadrilogy release? What?
Old 06-30-2015, 12:41 AM   #13470
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigan72 View Post
Wait, you didn't bother to read any of the posts after that one?
Old 06-30-2015, 12:42 AM   #13471
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
London, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigan72 View Post
No it was not. It wasn't shot for a 2.35:1 ratio like the other Alien films and looks exactly like it should. With the great restoration work undertaken, Aliens probably looks better than it ever has.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:47 AM   #13472

Jun 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
Wait, you didn't bother to read any of the posts after that one?
Ah shit, sorry, my computer didn't load the rest of the comments. My bad here. Though maybe I would've read them if they loaded... maybe.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:04 PM   #13473
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post
What HD Goofnut said in regards to the aspect ratios is correct.
Alien and Alien 3 were both shot 35mm anamorphic.
Aliens 35mm spherical.
Alien Resurrection was shot in Super 35mm.

I believe one of the big reasons why Cameron has preferred Super 35 over the years is the ease of shooting and compositing special effects by not having to accommodate anamorphic distortion. His early aversion to anamorphic stemmed from inexperience and difficulties endured while doing visual effects on Escape from New York.

Alien and Aliens both look fantastic in their respective ratios and excellent detail.

Best regards,
KvE
What he said about the aspect ratios was spot on. What he said about the shooting formats was not.

Cameron does indeed have an aversion to anamorphic but it's not just because it's more finicky to shoot than flat formats, he also hated the idea of chopping movies in half for the pan and scan process, knowing full well that far more people would be watching his movies on video than in the theater. He liked having the power to selectively reframe his movies for the 4:3 screens of the day, and although it's not so much of a problem these days Jimbo's never gonna stop shooting his stuff on spherical, albeit on digital rather than S35.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America