Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Sale is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Now: Pacific Rim $3.96 (98% sold out)
Now: Star Trek Into Darkness $6.00 (68% sold out)
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Killing Them Softly (Blu-ray)
$3.99
32 min ago
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Blu-ray)
$4.99
3 hrs ago
12 Years a Slave (Blu-ray)
$6.96
9 hrs ago
American Hustle (Blu-ray)
$6.00
12 hrs ago
Breaking Bad: The Final Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99
6 hrs ago
Good Will Hunting (Blu-ray)
$3.99
14 hrs ago
The Rover (Blu-ray)
$6.96
9 hrs ago
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$9.00
11 hrs ago
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$6.96
9 hrs ago
Super 8 (Blu-ray)
$4.99
14 hrs ago
Escape Plan (Blu-ray)
$6.96
9 hrs ago
Prisoners (Blu-ray)
$7.99
4 hrs ago
The Legend of Hercules 3D (Blu-ray)
$6.96
9 hrs ago
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99
6 hrs ago

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 02-19-2014, 07:24 PM   #81
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper View Post
I have insurance, so if I get robbed I just get new stuff.
I have insurance so If I get robbed,.. I get robbed again by the insurance.

Then, they raise my rate.
Blu Rays are Forever
Thanks given by:
Visionist (09-14-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 12:38 AM   #82

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeC22 View Post
Sorry, I simply expressed my preference for how I watch things. I can't see any reason why you would quote and respond to that in such lengths. I think you need to familiarise yourself with a simple concept. The only person that cares about how I watch and store things, is me. The only person that cares about how you watch and store things, is you.

You seem to have a bit too much of a desire to go down the "look at my great setup, it's so much better than how you do things" road. It's great that you think you have a superior setup, but it only matters to you. I actually find it quite sad, that you are constantly having to state how much hardware you have. You refer to PS3s in the plural sense, you seem to *need* to tell people you have 120TB of changer storage. The fact that you say things like "only a select few of us". in reference to buying a specific piece of hardware, is just arrogant.

Since my wife died, and my friends turned their back because they couldn't deal with her illness, my setup serves one purpose... to keep me entertained for a brief period every day. I guarantee, that my whole setup, which probably cost less than one of your precious changers, makes that experience just as enjoyable for me, as your *superior* system does for you.

You enjoy your *superior* vast array of changers and hardware, and I will continue to enjoy my tactile, hands-on experience. Neither of us needs to justify our choice, because nobody else cares about the choice we make for ourselves. You might want to remember that, next time you plan a 5000 word essay on why your system is so much better than someone else's.

I'm going to unsubscribe to this thread, as I feel no reason to further provoke your desire to tell us about all your changers... again. I'm just going to listen to a CD, in my single disc, run-of-the-mill player.
I was simply replying to your post as I related to it specifically within the "context" of this thread which is about Sony's high capacity changers and the question as to why they aren't made anymore. That is what this thread is about after all which you replied to. There was absolutely no reason for you to take offense. Your subsequent reply on the other hand is completely out of line. It attacks me personally and unjustly so casting my character in a bad light. Seriously. Every detail of my reply you sight has been grossly mischaracterized and taken out of context to suit your own ridiculous notions about me as to what drives me to participate in this thread and state the things that I have, a thread mind you where I actually have something substantial to contribute owning a Sony Blu-ray changer myself. (Note the singular usage. Does that make you feel better? *shakes head* God forbid I state I own more than one of something.) You are clearly hung up on the notion that somehow I feel superior in some way to others that don't have a setup similar to mine. You start right out that gate portraying me like I'm a spoiled little brat. "I seem to be wanting to convey...look at my great setup, it's so much better than how you do things?" These are your words. Not mine. I never said I think I have a superior setup to yours or anyone else's and my reply in no way justifies you putting those words in my mouth and it continues. "It's great that you think you have a *superior* setup", "...as your *superior* system does for you", "...you enjoy your *superior* vast array of changers and hardware", "you seem to this", "you seem to that". Are you kidding me? How many times can you "impose" the false notion that I think my setup is superior to yours or others in one reply. And for the grand finale, "Neither of us needs to justify our choice, because nobody else cares about the choice we make for ourselves. You might want to remember that the next time you plan a 5,000 word essay on why your system is so much better that someone else's." There's your problem right there and it's your problem. You admit it right there. You are the one that turned my reply into some sort of pissing contest. That's not what it was and any reasonable person can see that from 10 miles away. My reply (which was for everyone's reading enjoyment and not just yours) was in no way, shape or form an essay on why my system is supposedly better than yours or anyone else's. I did nothing more than reply to your post breaking it down into talking points per sharing my viewpoint on the things you said, but from the perspective of someone who finds value in these Sony changers and specifically within the "context" of this thread. If you truly can't see that perhaps it was a good idea you unsubscribed to this thread and know this as well. Whether you ever end up reading my edited reply here is beside the point. Short of a moderator removing your post I felt the need to "properly" go on record per others that may read through this thread.

Last edited by AmishParadise; 09-03-2014 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:22 PM   #83

Aug 2010
st. louis mo
Send a message via Yahoo to tootal2

I spent a lot of money on sony 400 disc dvd changer and it stopped playing dvds. So im not going to buy a blu-ray changer
Old 08-14-2014, 04:10 AM   #84

Aug 2014
Default How to backup to a changer

I am looking to back my valueable data ( software distros, documentation) by aulix backup2dvd utility. Backups do not fit to a single blanks, it is over two packs of blanks now (over 2x10=20). backup2dvd seems to support dvd changers, where can I find a good BDRE changer now? Preferrably BDXL for 100GB blanks.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:16 AM   #85

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2 View Post
I spent a lot of money on sony 400 disc dvd changer and it stopped playing dvds. So im not going to buy a blu-ray changer
Thought I'd offer something for those that share this same mindset in general, whether it be a Sony changer or other product entirely. Don't forget about the manufacturers warranty. You just might discover the cost is negligible at best, even if outside the warranty period. (Your results may vary of course.) No product is going to have a perfect track record. Some units are bound to end up needing serviced or exchanged. Saying you're not going to buy another changer "if they were sold once again", because you had purchased an earlier model and it stopped playing discs is a little silly if you ask me. And again, we could be talking about any product. No offense, but that's what the warranty is for. I had my Sony BDP-CX960 serviced not too long ago outside of the warranty period and it only cost $120. Better yet, Sony is no longer performing repairs on the 960, so they exchanged my 960 for a 7000 which includes a 5 year warranty from the date of the exchange. In the end if worked out in spades though I was experiencing the issue off and on with my 960 out the gate, so I could have had it serviced while still under the warranty period. Let it sit packed up in my bedroom closet for several years which is quite uncharacteristic of me. In any event, turnaround time on that was under 2 weeks. I also had one of my 7000's serviced which I had started using after filling my first 2 7000's to capacity. Was the same issue I had with my 960, a known issue with some units requiring that the optical drive be replaced. Still under the 5 year warranty (ES product line) in this case it cost me no more than the shipping to send it to them, the unit repaired and shipped back to me in under 2 weeks time. Has been running like a top now for several months. Been on a real tear with my Blu-ray purchasing on Amazon over the past couple months, so I've really been putting it through its paces. So again, just some food for thought. The warranty is there for a reason. At the very least determine what cost would be involved to have the given product serviced whether you're under the warranty period still or not. Sony in particular could not make it any easier. Was a painless process from start to finish.

Last edited by AmishParadise; 09-06-2014 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:00 PM   #86
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

Why no changers?... I think its because they believe anyone with more than a handful of movies must have moved to Streaming.
Blu Rays are Forever
Old 09-05-2014, 04:47 PM   #87

Oct 2012
London UK and Palm Springs California.

I have a Pioneer DV-F07 DVD changer (I had two but a motherboard died).

I also have a Sony BDP-CX7000ES blu ray changer. I bought it new on ebay when the 'analog sunset' was drawing near. I wish I'd bought two considering what they sell for now.

The Pioneer interface looks old fashioned now but it does the job well. The Sony looks fancy but can be infuriating much of the time.

I don't consider myself to be lazy but I love optical disc 'jukeboxes'. I never have to touch the disc. With the Sony, assuming Gracenote has info, the disc cover art and title, actor director release year and genre are displayed. A little like all of you with hard disc recorders, have you never scrolled through a list of titles thinking 'what am I going to watch tonight?'. Thats how I sometimes use the Sony. Its certainly better than looking at a lot of blu ray and DVD case titles sideways on at the back of the closet.

You can't say sales of blu ray discs have been disappointing, as there aren't any DVD megachangers now. My guess is digital downloads and streaming services have killed the changer market. Although the picture quality 'may' be comparable (I've not used a download or streaming service since their infancy) I doubt any streaming or download is going to offer you 7.1 surround.

So Sony, Pioneer, some of us still want a megachanger. Preferably 3D capable.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:48 PM   #88

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by growly View Post
I have a Pioneer DV-F07 DVD changer (I had two but a motherboard died).

I also have a Sony BDP-CX7000ES blu ray changer. I bought it new on ebay when the 'analog sunset' was drawing near. I wish I'd bought two considering what they sell for now.

The Pioneer interface looks old fashioned now but it does the job well. The Sony looks fancy but can be infuriating much of the time.

I don't consider myself to be lazy but I love optical disc 'jukeboxes'. I never have to touch the disc. With the Sony, assuming Gracenote has info, the disc cover art and title, actor director release year and genre are displayed. A little like all of you with hard disc recorders, have you never scrolled through a list of titles thinking 'what am I going to watch tonight?'. Thats how I sometimes use the Sony. Its certainly better than looking at a lot of blu ray and DVD case titles sideways on at the back of the closet.

You can't say sales of blu ray discs have been disappointing, as there aren't any DVD megachangers now. My guess is digital downloads and streaming services have killed the changer market. Although the picture quality 'may' be comparable (I've not used a download or streaming service since their infancy) I doubt any streaming or download is going to offer you 7.1 surround.

So Sony, Pioneer, some of us still want a megachanger. Preferably 3D capable.
If you and your changer are located in the US and you've experienced the "invalid disc" issue, don't hesitate to send it in for service as I mention in my previous reply per the link I posted there. Once repaired it's not likely you'd encounter the issue again. In fact, I'm going to put the last couple changers I haven't tested yet through their paces for the next several months just to be sure they are good to go as well.

As for any frustrations in general with the 7000 and the interface, eliminating use of the interface entirely will allow for putting all of that behind you once and for all. In my case I've only ever used the Sony XMB interface to access the settings of the changer per getting it set up for the first time. I'm not loading the discs, i.e. allowing the changer to identify the given disc, search and bring the Gracenote data down and so forth. I physically place the given disc in the changer and that's it. When going to browse for something to watch and initiate playback I'm using either my Pronto based solution or My Movies for WMC7 that runs on my HTPC, both of which send the particular changer the needed RS-232 command powering on the changer if needed, then initiating playback of the given disc. In the event you are interested in exploring one of those avenues (...and there are other 3rd party solutions out there as well) with your 7000 feel free to send me a PM if you'd like. I've assisted a number of people I've met online with implementing a 3rd party solution for use with their Sony changers and would be more than happy to act as a sounding board if you need help getting started.

Will mention also that I do have a friend who is "in the know" to a certain extent as to why Sony discontinued their changers and according to them there were very specific reasons which were completely unrelated one way or the other to what consumer demand there was for the product. Will just leave it at that. People can jump to whatever conclusions they want naturally short of Sony informing the public as to why. In any case, it's a sad state of affairs to be sure. Well, for those of us who value the product anyway.

Last edited by AmishParadise; 09-05-2014 at 09:17 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders