COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$38.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$129.99
My Week with Marilyn (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Man of Steel Limited Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Man of Steel Exclusive Action Figure Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Freezing: Anime Classics Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$25.78
Mr. Peabody & Sherman 3D (Blu-ray)
$30.98
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Noah (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Samurai Bride: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Love Lab: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$37.28
Les MisÚrables (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Labor Day (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Blu-ray)
$11.99
House of Bodies (Blu-ray)
$13.48
Kill Bill: 1 & 2 Double Feature (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Marvel Bundle (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Old 01-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #1

Jul 2008
East coast, USA
Default The Assassins ...

As with other Well Go USA blu rays I have purchased in the past decided to add THE ASSASSINS to my collection. The first disc arrived and played except during the credits at the end when the picture would freeze and you would have to manually advance the BD. I thought nothing of it, but went to the supplemental material (Behind the scenes and Trailer) and the cast interviews continued every 40 seconds or so to freeze which meant trying to understand and read the subs of Chow Yun-Fats interview practically impossible. I tried the BR in both my Panasonic and Sony players and the same thing was happening at exactly the same times.

Amazon replaced the BR overnight and with the second attempt the BR refuses to play at all. You insert it in your players and it just spins and clunks. I will be sending this copy back as well this time for a refund, and will pick up the film in its original Hong Kong pressing from DDD House. Just wanted to warn forum members that you may have a problem with your Well Go copy of this film, and I look forward to reading how you have made out with your copy of what should be an excellent new film from them.

Thanks for reading.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:30 PM   #2

Jan 2013

I havent read any good reviews of this one.... Did you manage to watch it?
First time director plus no martial artists always makes me nervous in this type of film
Old 01-10-2013, 01:16 PM   #3

Jul 2008
East coast, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenebre6 View Post
I havent read any good reviews of this one.... Did you manage to watch it?
First time director plus no martial artists always makes me nervous in this type of film
I watched it (on the first BR). Seems I have seen Chow Yun-Fat play this type of character in the past (Curse of the Golden Flower) but it moved along, the action was not too overdone, and the scenery was worth sitting there and saying "is this a travelogue"? I really wanted to watch the cast interviews in the Behind the Scenes segment cause Chow and others seemed to want to talk at length about the film, and these interviews were interspersed with shots of what the actors were talking about, but it kept freezing and I could not understand their points. Speaking of freezing a lot of the film was shot in the winter and you can see the actor's breath in the shots, and especially in their comments as they sit there in very heavy clothes or padded warm costumes. I know the HK version of this film includes those interviews but not English subtitled so I guess I am for now out of luck. Thanks for asking.

Last edited by bonepile; 01-10-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:22 AM   #4

Jul 2008
East coast, USA

I guess the third time is the charm. Went to our local electronics store and bought another copy and this one started up, played all the way through, and even the supplemental material played. Shame that it took three attempts to get a decent Blu Ray, but enjoyed the film and Well Go's presentation of it.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:29 AM   #5

Jun 2009
Australia

just opened mine and noticed the outter rim of the disc has bubbles in it and wont play at all, guessing just my bad luck got it from amazon
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America