Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Star Wars: The Complete Saga (Blu-ray)
$58.49
Star Wars: The Complete Saga (Blu-ray)
$58.49
Office Christmas Party (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Mummy: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$25.09
The Jacques Rivette Collection (Blu-ray)
$59.48
The Big O: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$45.99
La La Land 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Planet Earth II 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Dracula: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$25.09
The Transformers: The Movie (Blu-ray)
$14.69
Fifty Shades Darker (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Logan (Blu-ray)
$19.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 01-30-2017, 11:24 PM   #341
Expert Member

Sep 2012
Vancouver, Canada

I'm assuming that any BD drive I buy for my PC is region-free. Right?
Old 02-16-2017, 11:11 AM   #342
Power Member

Aug 2009
Beaufort SC (British Expat)

So went to watch my BD Strange Days yesterday,,and come to find out my Region free Insignia died on me,,, the sucker wont open, and even when i power it up i hear nothing.. im beyond annoyed,,,
Any recommendations on a cheapish region free thats comparable to the insignia i had,,, not worried really about 3D 4K and all that other stuff
LG 47LW5600 (3D) (main room) | Energy take classic 5.0 |SVS PB-1000 | Phillips 42" Full 1080p HDTV (bed room) |
Panasonic BDT220 (3D) | Sony BD S350 | Sony BDP-S1700(Region Free) | Denon AVR X2100W | Harmony One | Harmony Ultimate One
Old 02-16-2017, 03:54 PM   #343
Power Member

Jan 2010
Newark, DE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jutty View Post
So went to watch my BD Strange Days yesterday,,and come to find out my Region free Insignia died on me,,, the sucker wont open, and even when i power it up i hear nothing.. im beyond annoyed,,,
Any recommendations on a cheapish region free thats comparable to the insignia i had,,, not worried really about 3D 4K and all that other stuff
Here check on these prices vary though seen link below.

https://www.amazon.com/Blu-ray-Playe...n%3A2883065011
Old 02-16-2017, 07:23 PM   #344
Power Member

Aug 2009
Beaufort SC (British Expat)

Actually ordered the Sony BDP-S1500 Region Free( A,B &C) from 220, this morning for 119 shipped
Thanks for the link
LG 47LW5600 (3D) (main room) | Energy take classic 5.0 |SVS PB-1000 | Phillips 42" Full 1080p HDTV (bed room) |
Panasonic BDT220 (3D) | Sony BD S350 | Sony BDP-S1700(Region Free) | Denon AVR X2100W | Harmony One | Harmony Ultimate One
Old 02-16-2017, 08:23 PM   #345

Jan 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oniros View Post
I'm also interested in finding out if this is the case or not.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:12 PM   #346
Power Member

Nov 2007
Saginaw, Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oniros View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_har View Post
I'm also interested in finding out if this is the case or not.
Yes, Blu-ray drives are region free by default. You have to select your region using Blu-ray player software. Be warned though, you can only change your region using the software a few times before it locks to a region.

You can purchase software that strips the region coding during disc based playback or permanently via digital backup. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to name drop the software, but they can be found with ease with a simple Google search.
JVC DLA-RS40 w/003 lamp,DIY False-wall 125" acoustically transparent screen,Darbee Darblet,Sanyo PLV-Z2000 (gaming),7.1 DIYSoundGroup 1099 x3 LCR & Slanted Volt 6 rears x4,Onkyo TX-NR818,Emotiva LPA-1,Behringer EP4000 (x2),Sealed Stereo Integrity HT18"s (x8),Balanced MiniDSP,Cross·Spectrum UMIK-1,DIY Acoustic Treatments, Xbox One S (for future UHD 4K setup), PS3, Seiki SR4KP1 Region Free BDP,Toshiba HD-A1,Roku,Leather Theater seating,Dry bar,APC H15 power conditioner,Harmony Smart Control etc
Old 02-20-2017, 08:52 PM   #347
Expert Member

Mar 2012

I have someone looking for a region free Blu-Ray player, but mostly for the region free DVD aspect. They want something that's well made and will hold up for a while. They're into pre-code and "almost lost" films from the 1910's to the late 1930's and a lot of them are only found in region 2. He also buys burned public domain DVDs from eBay (stuff you can't get from a regular distributor). But he also wants to make sure he can get the best copies of stuff if they're on Blu-Ray, like, say, Metropolis.

Going to Best Buy, Wal-Mart, and the like and looking for a region free player will end up being nothing more than a shot in the dark, so I told him I'd ask here and get a few recommendations.

Price isn't as huge a factor as normal, but is still a factor, obviously. I believe the ability to use a Youtube app would be a plus, but he doesn't think so as much as I do. I'm not sure if his TV is 720 or 1080. He just says it's "newer".

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:48 PM   #348

Nov 2012
Anaheim, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by W View Post
I have someone looking for a region free Blu-Ray player, but mostly for the region free DVD aspect. They want something that's well made and will hold up for a while. They're into pre-code and "almost lost" films from the 1910's to the late 1930's and a lot of them are only found in region 2. He also buys burned public domain DVDs from eBay (stuff you can't get from a regular distributor). But he also wants to make sure he can get the best copies of stuff if they're on Blu-Ray, like, say, Metropolis.

Going to Best Buy, Wal-Mart, and the like and looking for a region free player will end up being nothing more than a shot in the dark, so I told him I'd ask here and get a few recommendations.

Price isn't as huge a factor as normal, but is still a factor, obviously. I believe the ability to use a Youtube app would be a plus, but he doesn't think so as much as I do. I'm not sure if his TV is 720 or 1080. He just says it's "newer".

Thanks in advance.
I just bought the Seiki SR4KP1 and am very happy with it. I finally got some region B locked titles and the player played them fine.
I bought it from B&H photo for 79.99 total ( no tax + free shipping). There are no apps on this player, it is pretty much a barbone player that can be hacked by remote (really easy to do) to make it region free.
A reviewer on Amazon left a helpful review on how to make it region free:
" Blu-ray regions with the remote hack (when player is on home screen press set-up on remote then key in 8520, set DVD to 0 for all region DVD, on Blu-ray setting 1 is US, 2 Europe) ".

Last edited by dcforsyth; 02-25-2017 at 09:54 PM.
Thanks given by:
wondervamp (03-15-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 07:17 PM   #349

Nov 2014
Five & Dime
-
-
-
-

If/when there is a firmware upgrade, won't the region-free hack be lost?
I'm looking for a Region Free player too and have been on the fence for a while. thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcforsyth View Post
I just bought the Seiki SR4KP1 and am very happy with it. I finally got some region B locked titles and the player played them fine.
I bought it from B&H photo for 79.99 total ( no tax + free shipping). There are no apps on this player, it is pretty much a barbone player that can be hacked by remote (really easy to do) to make it region free.
A reviewer on Amazon left a helpful review on how to make it region free:
" Blu-ray regions with the remote hack (when player is on home screen press set-up on remote then key in 8520, set DVD to 0 for all region DVD, on Blu-ray setting 1 is US, 2 Europe) ".
Old 03-10-2017, 01:59 AM   #350

Nov 2012
Anaheim, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondervamp View Post
If/when there is a firmware upgrade, won't the region-free hack be lost?
I'm looking for a Region Free player too and have been on the fence for a while. thanks
It's impossible for a firmware update to happen since that would have to happen over the internet which mine is not connected to the internet. I strictly use my player for region locked bd's. I think I read somewhere on this forum where Seiki never has updates anyways. But to be safe, just don't connect to the internet.

If this is going to be your primary player and you want all the smart functions, buy a firestick for $40 and use that for Netflix or whatever subscriptions you may have (that is if your TV or blu-ray you have now doesn't support your needs).

I'm loving my player so far. It plays Everything I've tried. My only regret is not going region free earlier.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:10 PM   #351

Nov 2014
Five & Dime
-
-
-
-

Ok, thank you for your input. I may be picking this one up. After the hack I assume you can still play Region A right? I'm assuming so since Region Free means everything.

thanks

Quote:
It's impossible for a firmware update to happen since that would have to happen over the internet which mine is not connected to the internet. I strictly use my player for region locked bd's. I think I read somewhere on this forum where Seiki never has updates anyways. But to be safe, just don't connect to the internet.

If this is going to be your primary player and you want all the smart functions, buy a firestick for $40 and use that for Netflix or whatever subscriptions you may have (that is if your TV or blu-ray you have now doesn't support your needs).

I'm loving my player so far. It plays Everything I've tried. My only regret is not going region free earlier.
Thanks given by:
dcforsyth (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 12:34 AM   #352

Nov 2012
Anaheim, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondervamp View Post
Ok, thank you for your input. I may be picking this one up. After the hack I assume you can still play Region A right? I'm assuming so since Region Free means everything.

thanks
Correct. Once you set DVD to 0, you never have to change that again. But for blu's, you need to change setting to either 1 (region A), 2 (region B) and 4 (region C). It takes about 5 seconds to do.

One complaint I've noticed some had with these players, is the remote. Some complained about buttons having to be pressed harder than normal. On mine, sure enough, the "up" button I had to press a tad harder. Also, if you lose or break the remote, finding a replacement is nearly impossible. My suggestion to anyone who buys these is to get a universal remote with a learning function (if you don't have one already). I bought a backup universal remote (Sony RMVLZ620 Universal Remote) for $13 today on ebay. I already have this remote working several devices I just wanted a cheap but good backup in case it stops working. I've had this remote since 1/1/2015 and it works great. Now I don't even use the remote that came with the player. It's in a drawer (with no batteries in it). Now I have no worries about remotes
Old 03-16-2017, 10:32 PM   #353
Special Member

Jan 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by W View Post

Thanks in advance.
You ain't gonna find a region free player at Walmart, etc.-you'll have to get it from a retailer online.
My Avatar-The Dirty Pair. The Original Girls With Guns!!
Old 03-17-2017, 01:18 AM   #354

Nov 2014
Five & Dime
-
-
-
-

Dang, looks like that $79.99 deal went up to $99.99

Quote:
Correct. Once you set DVD to 0, you never have to change that again. But for blu's, you need to change setting to either 1 (region A), 2 (region B) and 4 (region C). It takes about 5 seconds to do.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:59 PM   #355
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2014
Fresno, California, USA

Just got my Seiki through UPS today.

Aside from the slight picture stutter, everything works as it should.

Tested most of my Region B locked discs from the UK, France and Austria. All played no problem. Even an old PAL Region 2 DVD played with ease on it.

EDIT: The slight picture stutter is only present when I played it with my 4K UHD TV. When played on my smaller 1080p bedroom TV, on the other hand, it works perfectly.

Last edited by GasmaskAvenger; 03-18-2017 at 01:28 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:50 PM   #356

Aug 2016

I'd been searching for a good price on a Seiki SR4KP1 player, and I found a store that isn't selling theses at a huge markup. ABC Warehouse has them for $49. Shipping was $15, but still thats cheaper about $30 cheaper than the next best option i found. http://www.abcwarehouse.com/product_...~prod_id~26425
Thanks given by:
Blueoktober (03-21-2017), CADD_Guy (Today), dcforsyth (Today), hagios (Yesterday), ThirteenthFan (03-20-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 08:06 PM   #357
Expert Member

May 2010
Orlando FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM033189 View Post
I'd been searching for a good price on a Seiki SR4KP1 player, and I found a store that isn't selling theses at a huge markup. ABC Warehouse has them for $49. Shipping was $15, but still thats cheaper about $30 cheaper than the next best option i found. http://www.abcwarehouse.com/product_...~prod_id~26425
Thanks! I just bought one from this site.
Old Yesterday, 04:04 PM   #358

Oct 2015
Shinjuku, Tatooine(U.S)

Quote:
Hello, first timer here about owning a region free player. Looking to buy one for the first time. I'm really liking the price on the SR4KP1. I check the link out but all I see is"
Blu-ray Disc Player*
With 4K Up-conversion

This Seiki U-VisionTM*4K Up-conversion Blu-ray player*
offers the best of both 4K*
and Full HD worlds.

I don't see anything that indicates that it region free? Or will I have to do it myself. Thanks for the help. Really wanna buy this if it region free.
"Honor without power was a useless decoration and power without honor was the simple flexing of muscle"
Old Yesterday, 04:23 PM   #359

Nov 2014
Five & Dime
-
-
-
-

the OP explains how it is just a simple remote control fix...it is a region free player after this simple tweak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuza Demon Sith Lord View Post
Hello, first timer here about owning a region free player. Looking to buy one for the first time. I'm really liking the price on the SR4KP1. I check the link out but all I see is"
Blu-ray Disc Player*
With 4K Up-conversion

This Seiki U-VisionTM*4K Up-conversion Blu-ray player*
offers the best of both 4K*
and Full HD worlds.

I don't see anything that indicates that it region free? Or will I have to do it myself. Thanks for the help. Really wanna buy this if it region free.
Thanks given by:
Old Yesterday, 05:09 PM   #360
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2013
South Midlands town of Denton
Smile Seiki SR4KP1 Blu-ray player

Quote:
Thanks TOM033189! I just bought one from ABCWAREHOUSE.
Stryper Bad Co Petra Ólafur Arnalds Journey Coldplay Misen Johann Sebastian Bach Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart Ludwig van Beethoven Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky Frederic Chopin Antonio Vivaldi George Frederick Handel Igor Richard Wagner Johannes Brahms Franz Joseph Haydn...
"Perhaps Today"
"such a time as this"

"the end is near(er)"
"For many are called, but few are chosen"

Pacers 37-36 Boilers 27-8
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders