Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Quantum Leap: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$48.78
The Big O: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$45.99
Mobile Suit Gundam 08th MS Team: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$37.39
The Transformers: The Movie (Blu-ray)
$14.69
The Paul Naschy Collection (Blu-ray)
$59.99
La La Land 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Sicario 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Planet Earth II 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Manchester by the Sea (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Silence (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Lawnmower Man (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Underworld: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.96
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion

Old 03-20-2017, 01:46 PM   #21

Sep 2015
Glenview IL, Chicago Suburb

I am usually at -12.5. I have been conditioning my wife over the years by periodically increasing the volume by very small increments. Used to be she would want it so quiet my sub wouldn't even bother to click on, now it is an audio frenzy!

One time out of curiosity I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey at 0 for the whole movie. It blew my mind up!
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 02:52 PM   #22

Jan 2010
In my theatre room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy4547 View Post
I am usually at -12.5. I have been conditioning my wife over the years by periodically increasing the volume by very small increments. Used to be she would want it so quiet my sub wouldn't even bother to click on, now it is an audio frenzy!

One time out of curiosity I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey at 0 for the whole movie. It blew my mind up!
Lol nice. I bought my new house with my ex and she hated my theatre room. Anything above -20 and she would throw a fit. It's one of the reasons why I fell in love with Audyssyes DEQ and Dynamic Volume. Luckily my new wife loves movies and doesn't care how loud I play them. I watched Hell or High Water at -12bd while she was cleaning the house and didn't care at all.
Epson 5030UB calibrated myself with Calman and Xrite light meter/Elite Screen fixed frame 110 inch /Oppo 103 (Region Free Hacked) /Darbeevision DVP-5000S/ Marantz SR7009 /Klipsch RP440c (center) /Klipsch RP250F (fronts) /Klipsch RP240s (surrounds/surround back)/SVS PB1000
/PS4 /Xbox One / Nintendo Wii
Thanks given by:
Mr.Twinks (03-20-2017), Scarriere (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 05:57 PM   #23

Oct 2008
Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
I never cease to be amazed at how Chris Guest looks exactly like Jeff Beck, which is so appropriate for portraying an obscure guitar god. And if anyone would have it turned up to 11 it would definitely be Jeff !
He really does look like Jeff Beck, and you are right about the guitar master Jeff cranking it up to 11.
FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT AND NEVER SURRENDER
Old 03-20-2017, 06:15 PM   #24
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

-17.5 for movies
-19 for PPV movies
-21 for regular TV
Modern
Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 TV
Pioneer BDP-85FD Blu-Ray
Pioneer SC-67 Receiver
Old School
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020FD TV
Pioneer HLD-X9 Laserdisc Player
Old 03-20-2017, 06:17 PM   #25

Sep 2015
Glenview IL, Chicago Suburb

Yeah I am up to -12.5 with zero compression and no dynamic volume. Pure audio bliss.

It took a long time, we started out in the -28 to -25 range, and was getting the "it's too loud!" even at that low output, and have crept the knob all the way to -12.5.

If you are stuck in spousal sanctioned -28dB max volume land, and want to go louder here are some lines that started to hammer home with the wife about the volume:
"This is the way the artist intended for you to view the movie."
"The loud parts are designed to make you uncomfortable, turning the loud parts down is an incomplete experience."
"Watching at low volume is not an immersive experience."
"Well the folks at Dolby Labs recommend that you watch the movie at the Reference Level, 0dB, so -12dB is actually pretty tame."

Work the immersion angle, cinema is your hobby after all. It also helps to drop some audio theory knowledge on her.

Always be creeping that dial up 0.5dB's every chance you get. She will give you the "it's too loud!" just turn it down, but try to turn it down less than you turned it up. Don't get mad and don't say you are sorry, you are turning it up on purpose. Eventually she will learn that when she watches in the HT that she is in for some VOLUME!
Old 03-20-2017, 06:34 PM   #26
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy4547 View Post
Yeah I am up to -12.5 with zero compression and no dynamic volume. Pure audio bliss.

It took a long time, we started out in the -28 to -25 range, and was getting the "it's too loud!" even at that low output, and have crept the knob all the way to -12.5.

If you are stuck in spousal sanctioned -28dB max volume land, and want to go louder here are some lines that started to hammer home with the wife about the volume:
"This is the way the artist intended for you to view the movie."
"The loud parts are designed to make you uncomfortable, turning the loud parts down is an incomplete experience."
"Watching at low volume is not an immersive experience."
"Well the folks at Dolby Labs recommend that you watch the movie at the Reference Level, 0dB, so -12dB is actually pretty tame."

Work the immersion angle, cinema is your hobby after all. It also helps to drop some audio theory knowledge on her.

Always be creeping that dial up 0.5dB's every chance you get. She will give you the "it's too loud!" just turn it down, but try to turn it down less than you turned it up. Don't get mad and don't say you are sorry, you are turning it up on purpose. Eventually she will learn that when she watches in the HT that she is in for some VOLUME!
"You watch your shitty Gray's Anatomy show much louder than this!"
Modern
Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 TV
Pioneer BDP-85FD Blu-Ray
Pioneer SC-67 Receiver
Old School
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020FD TV
Pioneer HLD-X9 Laserdisc Player
Old 03-20-2017, 06:39 PM   #27

Jan 2015

Until I hear pounding coming from the ceiling.

Wow, some of you really like it loud. Maybe it's my old 5.1 equipment, but usually -40, -35 if no one else is home.
MOST WANTED BLU-RAY RELEASES: The Black Hole, Dawn of the Dead 3D, Something Wicked This Way Comes, Explorers, Supergirl, ORCA, SpaceHunter 3D, V Miniseries, Suspira, Young Sherlock Holmes
Old 03-20-2017, 06:48 PM   #28
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2014
France

Depends on the mix, but

-30 if I don't want to disturb the neighbour.
-25 If I don't want to disturb the neighbour too much.
-20 for a movie night and when the neighbour isn't there.
The plural of GIALLO is GIALLI
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion