Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
War for the Planet of the Apes 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Predator 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
15 hrs ago
Independence Day: Resurgence 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$10.95
20 hrs ago
Monster House 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.95

The Great Gatsby 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.99

Justice League 3D (Blu-ray)
$34.49

Prometheus 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.45

Fascination Coral Reef 3D (Blu-ray)
$7.83

Dredd 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96
1 hr ago
Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters 3D (Blu-ray)
$23.54

Thunder and the House of Magic (Blu-ray)
$8.49

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Old 11-09-2015, 08:38 PM   #21
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
Galveston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey1987 View Post
With any luck it will sell to a company that can merge RealD with patents they own thus improve the quality.

I can't say I'm surprised based on hardware, but if ticket sales make them anything, then I am shocked.

Also if RealD could standardise the glasses and screens for home 3D viewing that could improve things.

With any luck when Ultra HD Blu-Ray gets 3D implemented, the industry will come together to make sure everyone is happy. The home implementation of 3D just seems thrown together, I use a Nvidia 3D vision kit at present which uses active shutter glasses so what gives?
Buy a passive 3D TV if you want or build a DIY passive 3D projection setup. Real D isn't stopping you from using cinema glasses at home if that's what you like.

It would be nice if they sold cheaper versions of their cinema equipment for home theater although that could theoretically cut into the other side of their business if people stay home.
Vizio E3D420VX 3DTV, LG BP550, 160GB PS3, Onkyo HT-S3500 5.1 Home Theater, Sony MDR-DS7500 7.1 Headphones

Last edited by BleedOrange11; 11-09-2015 at 08:45 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:36 AM   #22

Sep 2014
California
Lightbulb Reald 3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange11 View Post
I'm kind of surprised by this. They pretty much have the monopoly on 3D theatrical distribution. Maybe they have more competitors internationally.
They have a monopoly in the U.S. (85% of 3D screens) , but not internationally.

They have approx 12,900 3D screens internationally out of approx 51,000 3D screens Total.

They are too Domestic Dependent to take advantage of the rising popularity of 3D in other countries like China.

China is retrofitting lasers in their theaters in the next few years , someone needs to do that in the U.S.

Note: IMAX stock is doing better than ever , plus they are going laser.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/imax-int...ina-1405976983

A look back at what could have been..... Passive HD 3D , RealD 3DTV - http://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-rea...er-3d-tv-tech/

All 3D .......... All the Time....... SAMSUNG 2018 3D Micro LED WALL !

A Brilliant Gimmick : a successful and ingenious or novel device, scheme, or stratagem, especially one that attracts attention and increases appeal. It can help create an experience that is so much more than the sum of the parts.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:25 AM   #23

Sep 2014
California
China RealD and Wanda ink deal for big 3D push in China

Great news...... for the 3D format and continued expansion of the 3D format.

The companies announced in China on Tuesday morning what they called the largest 3D installation agreement in the history of the format.
http://www.screendaily.com/news/real...ontentID=44435
Quote:
RealD said it currently equips and licenses more than 28,000 screens with 3D systems worldwide, rising to more than 32,000 screens in 72 countries with the Wanda deal.

RealD and Wanda are also committed to improving visual quality in theatres they jointly equip pursuant to their RealD 6FL Certification quality assurance launched in 2014 to ensure 3D presentations meet brightness specifications.

China’s Wanda Teams With RealD to Add 4,000 New 3D Screens
http://www.thewrap.com/chinas-wanda-...ew-3d-screens/
Quote:
“China has steadily become the world’s most significant 3D market and the scale of this installation agreement signals an unprecedented commitment to the growth of 3D in this critically important entertainment region,”

RealD and Wanda ink deal for big 3D push in China
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...nap-story.html

Quote:
RealD is hoping to capitalize on the fast-growing film business in China, which is expected to soon surpass the annual box office in the U.S. and Canada as the world's biggest movie market. Chinese audiences have a strong appetite for 3D movies, said Xiaobin Liu, executive president of Wanda Cinema Line, in a statement.

A Brilliant Gimmick : a successful and ingenious or novel device, scheme, or stratagem, especially one that attracts attention and increases appeal. It can help create an experience that is so much more than the sum of the parts.
Thanks given by:
nycomet (08-02-2016), the13thman (08-02-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 08:21 PM   #24
Expert Member

Jun 2014
St. Peters, MO

Is it time to buy a region C player?
Old 08-21-2016, 09:34 AM   #25
Expert Member

Nov 2012

Uh-oh.
Most Wanted BluRay: La merveilleuse vie de Jeanne d'Arc (France 1929), Riders of the Purple Sage (1931), The Pearl (Mexico 1947), Blood On the Moon (1948), Ride the Man Down (1952), Bwana Devil 3D, The Bounty Hunter 3D, Hondo 3D, I the Jury 3D, Second Chance 3D, Charge at Feather River 3D, Phantom of the Rue Morgue 3D, Taza Son of Cochise 3D, Island of the Blue Dolphins (1964), La marca del Hombre Lobo 3-D (Spain 1968), Domo Arigato 3D (1972), Once (1974).
Old 08-22-2016, 11:40 PM   #26
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
Galveston, TX

China barely even manufactures Blu-rays. Their big hit native 3D Mojin: The Lost Legend that outsold Star Wars tickets didn't come out on Blu-ray 3D anywhere in the world--even Hong Kong only has it on DVD.

The only thing worrisome is that U.S. blockbusters might start getting watered down to pass Chinese censorship. Still, movies in question could just release a censored version for one region.

Honestly, I'm ecstatic that China loves 3D. We're getting a Terminator 2 conversion because of it. Plus, China's and Hong Kong's top directors are all starting to work in 3D, and many of them choose the native route because Asian conversion vendors are still behind the Western ones. Apart from nWave, Sword Master by Derek Yee and Tsui Hark will probably be the best 3D we see all year.
Vizio E3D420VX 3DTV, LG BP550, 160GB PS3, Onkyo HT-S3500 5.1 Home Theater, Sony MDR-DS7500 7.1 Headphones

Last edited by BleedOrange11; 08-22-2016 at 11:51 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:16 AM   #27
Power Member

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange11 View Post
China barely even manufactures Blu-rays.
Well, at least non-bootleg Blu-ray Discs. 😜

Fitprod
Thanks given by:
BleedOrange11 (08-23-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 10:27 PM   #28

Sep 2014
California
Lightbulb The RealD ‘Ultimate Screen’

The RealD ‘Ultimate Screen’

Stunning New Cinema Technology Calls Time On The Silver Screen

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcome...URL=&referrer=

Quote:
This should deliver two key benefits right off the bat. First it means that light is bounced back more efficiently toward the viewer, resulting in a claimed brightness increase of as much as 85% over traditional silver screens. Second, its more focused light control should drastically reduce the appearance of that eternal enemy of a quality 3D performance, crosstalk ghosting noise.
Quote:
at the time of writing there are only five Ultimate Screen installations in the entire world: one at the Burbank AMC, one at the Surrey Quays Odeon in London, one at the Beijing Wanda, one in the Texas Cinemark Plano and one at the Boulder Cinemark.
I live fairly close to the Burbank AMC , I really need to check this out.

Thanks given by:
bavanut (08-26-2016), BleedOrange11 (08-26-2016), Paul H (08-27-2016), Richard--W (09-16-2016), Rickyrockard (09-06-2016), Spire (08-26-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 04:58 PM   #29

Jun 2011
Burbank, California

I live in Burbank. I will make a point of getting over there as soon as I can to see it for myself, and report back. I know others will do the same, and I very much look forward to hearing their reports.
– Mike Ballew
Thanks given by:
BleedOrange11 (08-26-2016), ilovenola2 (09-10-2016)
Old 09-05-2016, 07:23 PM   #30
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2007

I live near the one in Surrey Quays Odeon in London
Old 09-06-2016, 09:49 AM   #31

Aug 2009
England

Good article. Great find.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:14 PM   #32
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008
Apple Valley, MN

Thanks for the link!

This would benefit any projector system immensely. Great idea.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:21 PM   #33
Expert Member

Nov 2012

I showed this article to stereoscopic technologist John A. Rupkalvis, the recent winner of the Lumiere Award for his Lifetime Achievement in stereoscopic imaging, and who supervises 3-D filming in my company. From his reply:

Quote:
It is interesting that they call it the "Ultimate Screen", because this very likely will be the last "new" projection screen to be designed. That is because in the future there will be no more projectors. Instead of projecting images onto passive reflection screens, and then reflecting this back to the audience, which results in a lot of light loss and image degradation, future screens will be active, generating the images right at the screen surface, which then will be seen directly. They essentially will be huge monitors, or "video walls" without seams.

Low resolution examples exist already, in the large advertising screens sometimes seen on the sides of buildings in London, Beijing, New York, Las Vegas, and even a couple here in Los Angeles. These are extremely bright, yielding images in bright daylight. Right now they are intended for viewing from considerable distances (like about a city block away). Thus the pixel pitch is relatively large (like a centimeter apart). Technically, there is no reason that this could not be reduced much finer, down to even the pixel spacing on a 4K home television set. The only real reason that this is not done now is cost. Once the cost come down sufficiently, they will start appearing in theaters. Then, the revolution will have begun, and projectors and passive projection screens will disappear
Most Wanted BluRay: La merveilleuse vie de Jeanne d'Arc (France 1929), Riders of the Purple Sage (1931), The Pearl (Mexico 1947), Blood On the Moon (1948), Ride the Man Down (1952), Bwana Devil 3D, The Bounty Hunter 3D, Hondo 3D, I the Jury 3D, Second Chance 3D, Charge at Feather River 3D, Phantom of the Rue Morgue 3D, Taza Son of Cochise 3D, Island of the Blue Dolphins (1964), La marca del Hombre Lobo 3-D (Spain 1968), Domo Arigato 3D (1972), Once (1974).

Last edited by Richard--W; 09-16-2016 at 08:29 PM.
Thanks given by:
bavanut (09-16-2016), BleedOrange11 (09-19-2016), EVERRET (09-18-2016), Rickyrockard (10-13-2016)
Old 10-06-2016, 12:41 AM   #34
Special Member

Nov 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard--W View Post
I showed this article to stereoscopic technologist John A. Rupkalvis, the recent winner of the Lumiere Award for his Lifetime Achievement in stereoscopic imaging, and who supervises 3-D filming in my company. From his reply:
I'd been thinking much the same thing, but I'll still be surprised if it actually happens.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:33 AM   #35

Sep 2014
California
Lightbulb RealD 3D: technology

RealD 3D: the technology behind the 3D movie blockbusters

Quote:
What about the screen?
The quality of the cinema screen also has a lot to do with how effective the 3D appears. The company has also created a new kind of cinema screen called Ultimate Screen currently installed in 18 cinemas worldwide, including one in Surrey Keyes Odeon, London.

The company is also working towards a glasses-less 3D future, developing backlit LCD screens capable of producing the illusion a displayed image to a viewer directly in front of it is three dimensional, which could be incorporated into laptops or smartphones. It could also spell an end to being unable to use screens in bright sunlight thanks to its boosted light levels.

Read more at: https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/...-blockbusters/

Thanks given by:
bavanut (03-19-2017), kurosawa (03-19-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 07:37 PM   #36

Mar 2013

Glasses free viewing would be wonderful but who will fit the bill cinema wise, which must be the ultimate goal they are aiming for. Also thinking if they are going panels/tvs that they would go behind the screen and there will always be some idiot that will go behind and do something stupid to them. I worked for 13 years at a theatres and about 12 as a projectionist. The dirt and dust that would collect on these panels would be horrendous. Plus whatever static charge they have will collect the dirt even more from constant theatre cleanings. Our fire door exits were most behind the screen as well and reason to worry of some idiot damaging them. So they would need some system to keep them clean constantly. Again that is if they implement this for theatre use, as it seems to mention more home/portable use.

At least the smell of the screens would be gone. They would stink up the theatre and the halls for months before you got use to them of lost that smell.
My DVD/HD-DVD/BLU-RAY/UHD Collection
DISPLAY: JVC X950RB 3D Projector (106" screen) Samsung 51" 3D Plasma, Oppo-203(Region Free)
SYSTEMS: PS3, PS4, WiiU, XBOX 360, XBOX ONE X, NINTENDO SWITCH
RECEIVER: Marantz sr7010, Atmos/DTS:X 5.2.4
Old 01-16-2018, 01:53 PM   #37

Aug 2009
England

You may be interested to read that RealD are starting to amp up for the roll-out of these screens now.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/175...-for-3d-movies

https://www.reald.com/#/ultimatescreen
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion