Best Xbox One Game Deals

Best Xbox One Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Lego City Undercover (Xbox One)
$39.99
FIFA 17 (Xbox One)
$29.99
Injustice 2 (Xbox One)
$56.99
Madden NFL 17 (Xbox One)
$20.77
Mass Effect: Andromeda (Xbox One)
$39.80
Battlefield 1 (Xbox One)
$35.39
Darksiders (Xbox One)
$13.56
Stardew Valley (Xbox One)
$25.47
Mass Effect: Andromeda (Xbox One)
$49.99
Titanfall 2 (Xbox One)
$19.99
FlatOut 4: Total Insanity (Xbox One)
$43.72
Titanfall 2 (Xbox One)
$173.63
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox > Xbox One

Old 03-20-2017, 06:49 PM   #221
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyne View Post
I think everybody is just arguing semantics at this point from the looks of it. We all understand what is going on. Whether or not somebody wants to call it tomato juice or V8 doesn't matter.
That isn't really accurate though, is it? Some believe this to be a new console generation. Hardly tomato juice or V8.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:50 PM   #222
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
I feel old
LOL. Same. kind sucks
Thanks given by:
Mudfrog (03-21-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 07:01 PM   #223
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by -RONIN- View Post
That isn't really accurate though, is it? Some believe this to be a new console generation. Hardly tomato juice or V8.

To me, with the systems being backwards and forwards compatible there are no longer generations in the traditional sense.

Steel saying "generation" does not mean that he doesn't know this is just a higher spec Xbox or that an XBOne will play Scorpio games at lower detail. He just feels comfortable saying with that much of a power increase, that to him it's a new generation.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:07 PM   #224
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Canada

Quote:
To me, with the systems being backwards and forwards compatible there are no longer generations in the traditional sense.

Steel saying "generation" does not mean that he doesn't know this is just a higher spec Xbox or that an XBOne will play Scorpio games at lower detail. He just feels comfortable saying with that much of a power increase, that to him it's a new generation.
Fair enough. Of that I can agree with. I do believe the whole "Next Console Generation" as we've come to know it is over. Given that these current systems are finally built upon the x86 architecture I don't think there is any doubt that moving forward we'll always be able to play PS4/Xb1 games on future systems. Where I think people are going to have the hardest time adjusting over is being able to play "New" games on older systems with scaled down settings... something PC gamers have been doing for decades.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:36 PM   #225
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Scorpio would look nice next to my Elite controller.
PSN = derb
Xbox Live = BackfromSanity

2016 Game of the Year - The Last Guardian

PS4 Pro 2TB SSD ~ Xbox One 4TB WD ~ Nintendo Wii U 2TB WD
Old 03-20-2017, 07:50 PM   #226
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:

Bingo!

Quote:
Fair enough. Of that I can agree with. I do believe the whole "Next Console Generation" as we've come to know it is over. Given that these current systems are finally built upon the x86 architecture I don't think there is any doubt that moving forward we'll always be able to play PS4/Xb1 games on future systems. Where I think people are going to have the hardest time adjusting over is being able to play "New" games on older systems with scaled down settings... something PC gamers have been doing for decades.
That still doesn't mean there can't be whole new generations because at SOME point developers are going to have to let go of making their games on old architecture. You're trying to draw direct comparisons to the PC market but that isn't accurate because it's not like Sony and MS are shipping these consoles with screwdrivers to open the boxes up and change out components. That's what PC owners do. This is more like the cell phone business model where they roll out a new model and then they do a mid-gen refresh where they roll out a "deluxe" version of the same model, though in the case of cell phones it's annually. But make no mistake, at some point, X1 and PS4 owners are going to have to buy newer consoles if they want to play new games. When that day comes, THAT's when it's considered a new generation.
"I'm Mary Poppins ya'll!"

Last edited by Steelmaker; 03-20-2017 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:37 PM   #227
Power Member

Oct 2012

Quote:
Perceived by some longtime console gamers who can't wrap their heads around the concept of performance settings/sliders like they've had of PC since before most of us were born. I get it. It is a hard change in what we've all come to know as reality.
Nothing to do with that at all. Average punter sees this in a shop - what's that? It's the new Xbox. Cool. New name, more powerful, it's a new generation Xbox. They could have avoided any possible confusion by calling it the Xbox One Scorpio but they didn't*

I've probably been playing games since before you were born based on that statement

*unless they do!
Old 03-21-2017, 03:42 AM   #228
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRW1 View Post
Nothing to do with that at all. Average punter sees this in a shop - what's that? It's the new Xbox. Cool. New name, more powerful, it's a new generation Xbox. They could have avoided any possible confusion by calling it the Xbox One Scorpio but they didn't*

I've probably been playing games since before you were born based on that statement

*unless they do!
Sure.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:13 PM   #229

Jan 2017
Canada

It'll be interesting to see this console. I hope it's super badass. 2017 is going to be an expensive year for me gaming wise. I will definitely be getting a PS4 Pro in the next month or so then I'd like to get a Switch by the year's end. Assuming that Scorpio turns out to be awesome I'll try and get one as well.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:53 PM   #230
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2011
SoCal, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
Scorpio would look nice next to my Elite controller.
As long as they don't make the Scorpio white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
That still doesn't mean there can't be whole new generations because at SOME point developers are going to have to let go of making their games on old architecture. You're trying to draw direct comparisons to the PC market but that isn't accurate because it's not like Sony and MS are shipping these consoles with screwdrivers to open the boxes up and change out components. That's what PC owners do. This is more like the cell phone business model where they roll out a new model and then they do a mid-gen refresh where they roll out a "deluxe" version of the same model, though in the case of cell phones it's annually. But make no mistake, at some point, X1 and PS4 owners are going to have to buy newer consoles if they want to play new games. When that day comes, THAT's when it's considered a new generation.
Pretty much. I mean I get the Scorpio is a mid-gen refresh, but it's not like in 5-6 years time we'll still be able to play games on the PS4/XB1 with lower settings. At some point there is going to be a new gen that takes over.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:38 PM   #231
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edword View Post
As long as they don't make the Scorpio white

Pretty much. I mean I get the Scorpio is a mid-gen refresh, but it's not like in 5-6 years time we'll still be able to play games on the PS4/XB1 with lower settings. At some point there is going to be a new gen that takes over.
I make no bones about it. I was not in favor of this from the beginning. I wasn't in favor of the Pro and I'm not in favor of the Scorpio (as a mid-gen refresh). However as long as both Sony and MS don't take it any further than this, I'll live with it. A new generation every 6 years with a 3rd year "refresh" in between would be OK with me. However I don't want to see developers tied to the weakest hardware forever. It should go this way...

1.) New console generation starts

2.) Refresh is released 3 years later with all games forward compatible with the original console.

3.) New generation starts 3 years after the refresh with all new games forward compatible with the previous refresh model (but not the original console).

If MS and Sony limit it to this kind of cycle I think I would be alright with it. However I don't want developers 6 years from now still trying to make games run on original PS4's and X1's.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:31 PM   #232

Feb 2016

Difference
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PhotoGrid_1490124619864.jpg (78.3 KB, 44 views)
Old 03-21-2017, 08:24 PM   #233
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernestocolon30 View Post
Difference
LMAO! What the hell ever! Did somebody smear Vaseline over that HD picture? I guarantee you MY HD TV doesn't look like that.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:32 AM   #234

Feb 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
LMAO! What the hell ever! Did somebody smear Vaseline over that HD picture? I guarantee you MY HD TV doesn't look like that.
I have no hdr 5th but 4k and use best buy tv cleaner spray
Old 03-27-2017, 02:42 AM   #235

Mar 2015
Sharpsburg, Georgia, USA

For those who don't seem to get what Ronin was trying to say about this and the PS4 Pro being premium, mid-cycle refreshes, let me give you an analogy...engines. Let's just say, for the sake of ease, that the PS3 and 360 ran on 4 cylinder engines. The PS4 and Xbox One, however, run on V6 engines. Think of the Pro as a supercharged V6. Then you have Project Scorpio, which is a twin turbocharged V6. See, both models are more powerful, with Scorpio outpowering Pro, but it's not like the jump from V6 to V8. So it's not going from one engine to a more powerful one, which represents the jump from generations, it's merely boosting the already existing engine...does that make sense? I hope it does.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:32 AM   #236

Mar 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastcage View Post
For those who don't seem to get what Ronin was trying to say about this and the PS4 Pro being premium, mid-cycle refreshes, let me give you an analogy...engines. Let's just say, for the sake of ease, that the PS3 and 360 ran on 4 cylinder engines. The PS4 and Xbox One, however, run on V6 engines. Think of the Pro as a supercharged V6. Then you have Project Scorpio, which is a twin turbocharged V6. See, both models are more powerful, with Scorpio outpowering Pro, but it's not like the jump from V6 to V8. So it's not going from one engine to a more powerful one, which represents the jump from generations, it's merely boosting the already existing engine...does that make sense? I hope it does.
I thought the XBOX One S that is out now is the mid-cycle refresh? Project Scorpio is supposed to be the next-gen and include 4K UHD games.

That said, per Ronin, at this point it would be ludicrous to not provide backwards compatibility to XBOX One-generation games, but in the console arena things get dicey because game developers want to provide a brand new game rather than compete with the old one that is now cheap and there are deals going on.

Hence why providing backwards compatibility to the XBOX 360 was hit and miss and required some legal wrangling. But as Ronin said, the only difference at this point is likely going to be more horsepower, given they'll be running Windows 10 and DirectX 12 on both machines, and the old software should not need any type of modification unless Microsoft gets shifty and puts in locks per back-room deals. And if they do, they'll probably get run over the coals for it.

Quote:
I actually find it far more likely that excepting the largest of games, they'll build to maxing the specs of whatever XBOX and PlayStation is out there, and not give a care in the world about optimizing for the maxxed-out hardware of the PC gamers. You can play the game fine on PC... it just won't be bleeding edge to what the hardware can actually do because execs just don't care and that's not where the vast majority of the money is. That scenario is far more likely than making a game for PC's that XBOX and PS play on low settings, while you can max it on a PC. And if they do max for PC, the PC version likely lags the console release for a good length of time ala GTA V.

Last edited by chrisbluray; 03-27-2017 at 07:45 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:35 PM   #237
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbluray View Post
I actually find it far more likely that excepting the largest of games, they'll build to maxing the specs of whatever XBOX and PlayStation is out there, and not give a care in the world about optimizing for the maxxed-out hardware of the PC gamers. You can play the game fine on PC... it just won't be bleeding edge to what the hardware can actually do because execs just don't care and that's not where the vast majority of the money is. That scenario is far more likely than making a game for PC's that XBOX and PS play on low settings, while you can max it on a PC. And if they do max for PC, the PC version likely lags the console release for a good length of time ala GTA V.
But doesn't PC kind of do this to itself already without the help of consoles, considering how many different configurations there are out there at different performance levels?
Old 04-04-2017, 03:59 PM   #238

Dec 2009

Don't give your hopes up. I'm sure the will just drag us along again.

https://twitter.com/eurogamer/status/849275581816594432
My collection click HT Gallery to view them.
My WTB's HERE
Served in the Military and like blu's come talk about it HERE

*Alert!!!* Best Buy Will Be Changing And Shrinking Their Media Section Soon!!!

Click HERE for more details.

Site FAQ

RIP ironsmile35

Last edited by neoz; 04-04-2017 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:58 PM   #239
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2011

Who knows. They could drop enough info to gauge interest and disinterest so that they can change course by e3 on some non-hardware aspects.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:58 PM   #240

Feb 2016
Cool Xbox Scropio reveal apirl 6th

By digital foundry?

With a list of 100 games scropio ready and hands on impression and even specs?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox > Xbox One