Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Star Wars: The Complete Saga (Blu-ray)
$58.49
Star Wars: The Complete Saga (Blu-ray)
$58.49
The Mummy: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$25.09
The Iron Giant (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Mobile Suit Gundam 08th MS Team: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$37.39
La La Land 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Planet Earth II 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Brain Damage (Blu-ray)
$23.78
The Big O: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$45.99
Dracula: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$25.97
Ghost in the Shell (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Underworld: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.96
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers

Old 03-19-2017, 10:47 PM   #1

Apr 2007
Sydney Australia
Post Advice Needed

In the next couple of months i'm going to buy a new receiver at the moment i have a Onkyo that has dobly atmos only and i have no problems with it but this time i'm thinking of going with Denon or Yamaha which brand is the better and what would you choose.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:34 PM   #2
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by monnie View Post
In the next couple of months i'm going to buy a new receiver at the moment i have a Onkyo that has dobly atmos only and i have no problems with it but this time i'm thinking of going with Denon or Yamaha which brand is the better and what would you choose.
I went from Integra to Marantz and have never looked back.
Video: Samsung 60" 4K SUHD TV UN60JS8000, Oppo BDP-103, DirecTv HD, AppleTV
Amplification: Marantz SR7007, NaimUniti 2 Network Streaming Integrated Amp
2-CH: Apple Mac Mini, JRiver, Tidal, Pro-ject 2Xpression Classic Sumiko Blue Point No. 2, Naim Stageline N
Speakers: Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210 C, DM 2/6
Subwoofer:
Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP
Old 03-20-2017, 06:22 PM   #3

Oct 2008
Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex

Quote:
Both Denon and Yamaha make great AVRs, however a lot of it depends on what models of these brands are you interested in, and what are you trying to achieve by changing brands, are you upgrading for more features or are you just wanting to try another brand. I went from Onkyo to Denon and have been very happy. You can't go wrong with either brand, but I would look at Marantz as well. Best of luck and keep us posted.
HOLD ON, FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT, AND NEVER SURRENDER
Old 03-20-2017, 07:47 PM   #4

Apr 2007
Sydney Australia

Thanks Dwayne yes i think i jumped in to early and would like to get DTS X and very where i go i here a lot of people talking about Denon.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:52 PM   #5
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"
Send a message via AIM to DangeRuss Send a message via Yahoo to DangeRuss

Quote:
Those are both good brands but their GUI's and methods of room correction vary a great deal ........

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
I went from Integra to Marantz and have never looked back.
Marantz is also an excellent choice . And don't forget about the two A's Arcam & Anthem, They both make very good AVR's that lean towards the audio side of things

Visuals by......
Panasonic~ Oppo

Audio by...
DUAL~ Grado ~ Yamaha ~ Pro-ject ~ Oppo ~ Vincent
Harman/Kardon~ Acoustic Research ~ Light Harmonics ~ acurus ~ Dahlquist
SVS

Last edited by DangeRuss; 03-20-2017 at 08:58 PM.
Thanks given by:
Dwayne (03-21-2017), Scarriere (03-20-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 06:30 PM   #6

Oct 2008

Quote:
Thanks Dwayne yes i think i jumped in to early and would like to get DTS X and very where i go i here a lot of people talking about Denon.
The only reason I chose to do away with Onkyo was that they dumped the Audyessey Room Correction . I have owned 3 models of Onkyos in my day and loved them very much . My reason for picking Denon was only based on the fact that they were the brother of the famed Marantz Company . I'm very pleased with my Denon, however my next purchase will be Marantz. Personally I feel there is not a big difference in the audio between the older versions of Onkyos and my Denon. Many say that both brands have a warm sound, so I guess that is a good way to describe them. On my Denon 4520 AVR, I feel that the Mid-range audio is lacking a little, and I have read some reviews of this model saying the same thing. Having said this I recommend you look at other brands and if possible, audition these personally before making a purchase. Good luck

Last edited by Dwayne; 03-21-2017 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:57 AM   #7

May 2009

Quote:
Sup monnie,

I've owned 4 Yamaha AVR's within the past 18 years......the ones I sold went to friends or I gave to family. All the units still function to this day....even the one from '99. Never a problem........I have remained loyal to this day to Yamaha, but everyone has their own personal voyages with these brands.

I can also vouch for Marantz as well....have friends with them and no issues whatsoever. Enjoy!
PBN Montana Loudspeakers: EPS-2, SPC-3, M2 monitors and vintage XPS towers from 2005
Wyred 4 Sound MMC amplifier, ST-500.
Yamaha CX-A5000 pre/pro. Audioquest Red River xlr's
Sub: PBN SSW 2 12s 500x2w
Thanks given by:
Dwayne (03-23-2017), Scarriere (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 09:22 PM   #8
Contributor

Apr 2009
Corner Totem Rd. and Sugden Ave., Arcam Shire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeRuss View Post
Those are both good brands but their GUI's and methods of room correction vary a great deal ........

Marantz is also an excellent choice . And don't forget about the two A's Arcam & Anthem, They both make very good AVR's that lean towards the audio side of things

Owned both those brands quite impressive indeed, I have no Atmos on my MRX-520 but Dynamic range is super impressive with the hi-performance Dacs Anthem uses not to mentioned an amazing room correction software in ARC.

I have not tried any of the new Arcams but they apparently stepped it up with room correction as well. My AVR400 served me well for 5 years and still worked flawlessly except for Video upscaling but I simply used HDMI as pass through.
Olivier
Panasonic TC-P55ST30
Oppo BDP-103D, Bel Canto 3.5vb DAC
,Arcam AVR400 Receiver, Bryston 6B-SST Power Amp, Totem Fires Dusk L/R on Target MR20, Totem Tribe III Dusk on wall Center, Totem Mites Dusk Surrounds, JL Audio Fathom f113 Gloss Black. TotemTress, Nordost, Bis Audio, Audioquest
Sugden A21 SE Integrated, Totem Forest Signature.
Wadia 151 Power DAC Mini, Dynaudio X-18.

Last edited by BigAl87; 03-22-2017 at 09:29 PM.
Thanks given by:
Dwayne (03-23-2017), Scarriere (03-23-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 06:37 PM   #9

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl87 View Post
Owned both those brands quite impressive indeed, I have no Atmos on my MRX-520 but Dynamic range is super impressive with the hi-performance Dacs Anthem uses not to mentioned an amazing room correction software in ARC.

I have not tried any of the new Arcams but they apparently stepped it up with room correction as well. My AVR400 served me well for 5 years and still worked flawlessly except for Video upscaling but I simply used HDMI as pass through.
I wished I could afford an Anthem. The audio they provide is spectacular . I do not know much about Arcam, but I have read nothing but great reviews on their ability to produce exceptional audio as well . For people like myself that are big on the audio side, these brand's are top shelf .
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (03-25-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 11:44 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009
Upstate New York

I just went through the receiver parade.

I bought an Onkyo and its LPCM warm-up drove my nuts while playing Wii-U. Every new level started in Mario Maker was missing the first few seconds. Onkyo says this is normal operation for LPCM so... back it went.

Went to Denon, next. It gave me a lot of scratchy audio on the Xbox One S. I'm sure it was more of an Xbox issue than a Denon one, but my old Pioneer had no problems so... back it went.

Picked up one of the newer Sony models, the 1070. Handles everything I have plugged in without issue. My DVR, Xbox One S, Wii-U, Switch, PS4, and UHD player. Very happy with my purchase. Very nice user interface too when you're in the setup menus.
2016 disc favs: The Revenant 4K, The Peanuts Movie 4K, Pan's Labyrinth (Criterion), In A Lonely Place (Criterion), Kubo and the Two Strings, Hellraiser Scarlet Box (US), The BFG, The Thing (Scream Factory), The Jungle Book (live), Deadpool 4K, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, The Hateful Eight, Carol
Old Today, 12:36 AM   #11

Apr 2007
Sydney Australia
Thanks everyone for your thoughts was close to buying a Yamaha RX-V681 on the weekend but i will wait for the Denon AVR-S730H that comes out in April in the US but not sure when it will land here in Australia.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers