Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Star Trek Enterprise: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.96
The Lair of the White Worm (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Vietnam War (Blu-ray)
$80.85
Alien: Covenant 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.54
Alien: Covenant (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Heat (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Mars (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Power Rangers (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Smurfs: The Lost Village (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Fifth Element 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Life (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Boss Baby 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion

Old 03-20-2017, 10:44 PM   #8261
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Atlantis

Does anyone here import posters from other regions? I have been looking on ebay for the poster for Passengers that was released in Europe but I am hesitant of a seller shipping that item from overseas . Any companies in the US sell them and are good to buy from ?
Blufans VIP
R.I.P TOP GEAR 2002-2015 #Clarkson #Hammond #May
My Set up
55' 3D-Vizio M551d-A2R
Xbox One /PS4/ Region free OREI BDP-M2 3D BD player

I Love Taylor Swift
R.I.P Paul Walker 11-30-2013
Old 03-21-2017, 02:23 PM   #8262

Jan 2017
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by i007spectre View Post
The King Kong IMAX poster looks great. Also like the last GotG and PotC posters.

WOOOOWWWW!!! that's a GREAT poster! I want it!
Old 03-22-2017, 11:01 AM   #8263
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Canada
-

It looks like APOCALYPSE NOW.
Thanks given by:
Kinsella5 (04-13-2017), roar (03-23-2017), xylem (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 12:57 PM   #8264

Apr 2017
Near Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGreg View Post
It looks like APOCALYPSE NOW.
Agree, Apocalypse now met Star Wars poster!
Old 04-26-2017, 02:47 PM   #8265
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Toronto, Canada

Anybody going for this one today? Timed edition starts at noon EST to Monday at 3pm EST.

Click the poster for link

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO141FD Owner
LG OLED65E6P Owner

My Flickr
Thanks given by:
Bodyslide (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 04:25 PM   #8266
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009
Georgia PSN:Bodyslide

I ordered one at 12:02. Now to go and get a frame for that bad boy.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:38 PM   #8267
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinsella5 View Post
No real reason to quote except I'd specifically like your opinion

Considering finally framing some of the Star Wars double sided Posters from DMR and need an opinion on a frame source.

Hollywood Poster Frame seems to have the type quality I'm looking for, but need an opinion of them now. I ran across several posts from 2010-2013, but nothing mentioning them since. Are they still a high quality site or have they been replaced by a different go-to retailer. We have an excellent custom frame shop locally, but they seem to want to dry mount everything though it would be easy enough to say no, but they cost is too much for what I want to do.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:46 AM   #8268
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008
Arkham Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
No real reason to quote except I'd specifically like your opinion

Considering finally framing some of the Star Wars double sided Posters from DMR and need an opinion on a frame source.

Hollywood Poster Frame seems to have the type quality I'm looking for, but need an opinion of them now. I ran across several posts from 2010-2013, but nothing mentioning them since. Are they still a high quality site or have they been replaced by a different go-to retailer. We have an excellent custom frame shop locally, but they seem to want to dry mount everything though it would be easy enough to say no, but they cost is too much for what I want to do.
Well just my opinion despite what some may think the Star Wars posters from DMR, which are authentic, do have a strong value to them and with it being Star Wars, the collectibility of them will continue to rise. With the exception of ones that theater employees get to sell, the DMR ones are really the only ones "out there" per say with regards to the poster collecting community. Poster dealers themselves generally have a hard time obtaining Disney originals, it's been getting more and more difficult, that started right around the time the first Avengers film posters were hitting. So from a collector's stand point you really can't go with any of the Star Wars posters.

Condition though is key and affects the value greatly and just about everyone on this site knows DMR aren't known to package very well. So if you were a lucky one and you got them in near-mint/mint condition that alone makes them even more collectible. From a framing perspective, you can go the professional route, however you do need to stress the "do not drymount" aspect to them. Remember a framer is working for YOU, not the other way around and if you tell them no drymount, they need to do that. Sure you will see some ripples or waves, but so be it, at least you will know it's not drymounted and don't let a framer tell you otherwise. Dry mounting may be good for posters with zero value, but when it comes to original movie posters, I personally am against it. Again, my opinion only.

Cost-wise having it done professionally will be more expensive. The standard size of a theatrical one-sheet is 27x40 inches but sometimes a poster can be off a tad bit, either smaller or larger but when that occurs its a small amount, but a standard 27x40 frame that is pre-made won't fit the bill so a custom poster is needed. I imagine there are some out there who trim or cut down a poster to fit, I would urge people not to do it. But if you lay the poster out flat as can be and measure if it comes out to 27x40, you can consider frames at Michael's Arts & Crafts, or Arron Brothers Framing for example, both sell ready-made frames, and generally both of those retailers have coupons you can sometimes find in Sunday newspapers, the overall quality is not as good as a professional frame. Also, you want to go with acid-free backing and those ready-made ones don't feature that, instead cardboard backing and cardboard is acidic and over time can and will yellow your poster/print. I have seen it and it can get to be pretty bad.

There are probably frames online that you can consider, surely there are some here who have bought some, but I haven't and can't speculate on what is out there that is good or bad. Just go with a good metal frame, acid-free backing and UV-glass or UV-Plexiglass if you get a lot of sunlight in that room and you should be good to go.
K5
Thanks given by:
mpa25 (04-29-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 01:45 AM   #8269
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2010

Quote:
Well just my opinion despite what some may think the Star Wars posters from DMR, which are authentic, do have a strong value to them and with it being Star Wars, the collectibility of them will continue to rise. With the exception of ones that theater employees get to sell, the DMR ones are really the only ones "out there" per say with regards to the poster collecting community. Poster dealers themselves generally have a hard time obtaining Disney originals, it's been getting more and more difficult, that started right around the time the first Avengers film posters were hitting. So from a collector's stand point you really can't go with any of the Star Wars posters.
[Show spoiler]
Condition though is key and affects the value greatly and just about everyone on this site knows DMR aren't known to package very well. So if you were a lucky one and you got them in near-mint/mint condition that alone makes them even more collectible. From a framing perspective, you can go the professional route, however you do need to stress the "do not drymount" aspect to them. Remember a framer is working for YOU, not the other way around and if you tell them no drymount, they need to do that. Sure you will see some ripples or waves, but so be it, at least you will know it's not drymounted and don't let a framer tell you otherwise. Dry mounting may be good for posters with zero value, but when it comes to original movie posters, I personally am against it. Again, my opinion only.

Cost-wise having it done professionally will be more expensive. The standard size of a theatrical one-sheet is 27x40 inches but sometimes a poster can be off a tad bit, either smaller or larger but when that occurs its a small amount, but a standard 27x40 frame that is pre-made won't fit the bill so a custom poster is needed. I imagine there are some out there who trim or cut down a poster to fit, I would urge people not to do it. But if you lay the poster out flat as can be and measure if it comes out to 27x40, you can consider frames at Michael's Arts & Crafts, or Arron Brothers Framing for example, both sell ready-made frames, and generally both of those retailers have coupons you can sometimes find in Sunday newspapers, the overall quality is not as good as a professional frame. Also, you want to go with acid-free backing and those ready-made ones don't feature that, instead cardboard backing and cardboard is acidic and over time can and will yellow your poster/print. I have seen it and it can get to be pretty bad.

There are probably frames online that you can consider, surely there are some here who have bought some, but I haven't and can't speculate on what is out there that is good or bad. Just go with a good metal frame, acid-free backing and UV-glass or UV-Plexiglass if you get a lot of sunlight in that room and you should be good to go.
Much appreciated as usual. The SW posters from DMR actually aren't bad, but there is a little edge fraying on almost everyone mostly from them jamming the invoice in. For framing it almost certainly would be hidden, but as a collectible it would probably take at least a bit of a hit.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:46 AM   #8270
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Canada
-

Everytime I see a new post about dry mounting, I can see Kinsella5 wincing with pain.

Back in the 80s, I was into dry mounting and framing my movie posters. I've since stopped. The only ones that ended up with the treatment was an original theatrical DIE HARD one sheet and a SUPERMAN THE MOVIE one sheet reprint (from Warner) and an original BATMAN (1989) one sheet.

Fortunately, I had multiples of the BATMAN but not the DIE HARD. The BATMAN one I had though was the only one with both "MICHAEL KEATON" and "JACK NICHOLSON" with full names on the top. I think a lot more were printed with just "KEATON" and "NICHOLSON" only.
Thanks given by:
Kinsella5 (04-29-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 07:08 AM   #8271
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008
Arkham Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGreg View Post
Everytime I see a new post about dry mounting, I can see Kinsella5 wincing with pain.

Back in the 80s, I was into dry mounting and framing my movie posters. I've since stopped. The only ones that ended up with the treatment was an original theatrical DIE HARD one sheet and a SUPERMAN THE MOVIE one sheet reprint (from Warner) and an original BATMAN (1989) one sheet.

Fortunately, I had multiples of the BATMAN but not the DIE HARD. The BATMAN one I had though was the only one with both "MICHAEL KEATON" and "JACK NICHOLSON" with full names on the top. I think a lot more were printed with just "KEATON" and "NICHOLSON" only.
I just don't to see someone who may have some quite collectible and or rare, or something that has sentimental value to them through a poster make the mistake of dry-mounting it because then the value is lost as the process of dry-mounting can't be reversed. Naturally though a person can do what they want at the end of the day I am but one opinion on the matter when it comes down to it. Oh and I did cringe when a local poster shop told me many years ago how they may have found a way to remove a poster from the drymounting material without damage. I think I shared that story but rather than testing it to see if it would work on a poster with no value they instead decided to test it on an original Empire Strikes Back final, the recalled Gone with The Wind style which is incredibly rare. They then realized the mistake they made (big time) as they could not remove the foam backing after all. I still shake my head at that when I think about what they did and with a poster that is so hard to come by too.
K5
Old 04-29-2017, 07:09 AM   #8272
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008
Arkham Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
Much appreciated as usual. The SW posters from DMR actually aren't bad, but there is a little edge fraying on almost everyone mostly from them jamming the invoice in. For framing it almost certainly would be hidden, but as a collectible it would probably take at least a bit of a hit.
If you managed to get away with just a little edge fraying then you lucked out. I have seen some really mangled stuff, but others have had luck and gotten them in great condition but those instances still to be quite rare, few and far between. A frame would cover the slight edge wear too so that is always a good thing.
K5
Old 04-30-2017, 02:12 AM   #8273

Jun 2012

[Show spoiler]
Quote:

I really appreciate the insight and detailed information you've provided Kinsella5. I currently have 4 or 5 27" x 40" double sided theatrical posters that I've acquired through Disney Movie Rewards, but unfortunately they are all still housed in tubes in a closet. I would love to display at least two or three of them, but I've been slightly paranoid about displaying them long term in cheap frames that don't protect from UV rays or have proper non-acidic backing. I've yet to do much research regarding custom framing, but I do have Aaron Brothers and Michael's stores in my area. The online options that have been brought up here in this thread sound intriguing too, but I would hate to go the cheaper route now and get burned long term. Generally speaking, with the 50-60% off coupons offered by the previously mentioned retailers, are we still talking hundreds of dollars per frame still or do those discounts make it a somewhat reasonable investment? Thanks in advance for the help! You and hariseldon are two of the most knowledgeable and helpful individuals on this site.
Old 04-30-2017, 02:56 AM   #8274
Blu-ray Duke

May 2010
NYC

What is the best way to store posters? Those plastic baggies?
Old 04-30-2017, 01:24 PM   #8275
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2008
Albany NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony208 View Post
I roll mine in acid free paper and roll them back up and put them back in the tube.
Thanks given by:
Tony208 (04-30-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 11:45 PM   #8276

Apr 2017
Near Houston, TX

Hello, this is my take on the movie poster, I transform them into Acoustic Panels, what do you think?

I have done all the below so far:

My take on Movie Posters and Acoustic Panels
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3194 (Large).jpg (90.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3014.jpg (94.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2998.jpg (96.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3026.jpg (96.1 KB, 7 views)
Old 05-01-2017, 06:33 AM   #8277
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008
Arkham Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpa25 View Post

I really appreciate the insight and detailed information you've provided Kinsella5. I currently have 4 or 5 27" x 40" double sided theatrical posters that I've acquired through Disney Movie Rewards, but unfortunately they are all still housed in tubes in a closet. I would love to display at least two or three of them, but I've been slightly paranoid about displaying them long term in cheap frames that don't protect from UV rays or have proper non-acidic backing. I've yet to do much research regarding custom framing, but I do have Aaron Brothers and Michael's stores in my area. The online options that have been brought up here in this thread sound intriguing too, but I would hate to go the cheaper route now and get burned long term. Generally speaking, with the 50-60% off coupons offered by the previously mentioned retailers, are we still talking hundreds of dollars per frame still or do those discounts make it a somewhat reasonable investment? Thanks in advance for the help! You and hariseldon are two of the most knowledgeable and helpful individuals on this site.
Thanks for the kind words. Storing short term in the tubes are ok, especially if in a cool dry place. But I would not recommend for long term storage, perhaps if you wrap in acid-free paper first you can get longer life out of the tubes. Every framer shop is different price-wise, what I would do is call around to some shops that handle framing and inquire directly. Make sure the poster in question is 27x40 inches, because when it comes to cut glass, I believe just a jump up in size by one inch (to 27x41 inches) can be a big deal cost-wise. But if they are 27x40 inches, best thing is call some frame stores and ask how much it would cost to frame it with a metal frame, no matte, using acid-free backing and either standard glass, UV-glass, or UV-plexiglass. A good framer will take the time to give a price quote. Make sure you tell them no dry mounting because that is an added expensive.

Acid-free backing is also generally a cream color and a bit rough to the touch, at least that is what my framer uses and I trust her, she does an amazing job (I saw you are a Seahawks fan so if you are local to Seattle, let me know I can refer you to the place I have my posters done at).

But also inquire with Michael's and Aaron Brothers since they do custom framing too and then once you get a price quote, if they are running a coupon at the time it "should" stack. I can't really shed any light on frames you buy from online websites as I have never used them but I am sure some on here have and can share their thoughts.
K5
Thanks given by:
mpa25 (05-06-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 06:35 AM   #8278
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008
Arkham Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by xylem View Post
Hello, this is my take on the movie poster, I transform them into Acoustic Panels, what do you think?

I have done all the below so far:

My take on Movie Posters and Acoustic Panels
That looks really unique, you kind of get the both worlds, having movie artwork on your walls to dress them up but also double as acoustic panels. Good job, it looks really nice what you have done.
K5
Thanks given by:
xylem (05-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 06:43 AM   #8279
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008
Arkham Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony208 View Post
You can do what Underworld suggested or you can use the polytube sleeves to roll them in, and its fairly cheap to do that and just replace the tubing every so often if you want since one roll of that material can handle a ton of posters.

Uline sells a roll, I use the 2" only because I have rolled so many posters I know the best way to roll them tighter without damaging them so when I do shows I can just hand them the poster. However I have been thinking about going with a 3" opening instead, that way you don't have to roll your poster as tight.

This is a 2mil 2" wide by 1500' of polytube, this could do a lot of posters:
https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...-Roll-2-x-1500

They also have a 3mil thickness 3" wide by 1500' as well, and also sizes too. https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...-Roll-3-x-1500

Only go this route if you have a lot of posters in your collection. The bigger the opening means you won't have to roll the poster as tight. If you want to store posters flat, you can check out the Ultra-Pro Top Loader Semi-Rigid Plastic Sleeves, but the only size that would work are the 29x43 inch ones, as the don't make 27x40 or 27x41 inch. You can store a few posters in each sleeve but they can be quite costly. I only use them to display posters at my booth during conventions.
K5
Thanks given by:
Adam_WM (05-01-2017), Tony208 (05-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 01:16 PM   #8280
Special Member

Jan 2012
Parts Unknown

I also use the 2" Uline sleeves for mine. I have over 200 posters stored this way. I'd love to store them flat, but I do not have a flat file. Oh well.
Hear me on the Geek League of America Leaguecast !
Projector: EPSON 6030UB
Speakers: (2) Klipsch RF-82, (1) RC-82, (2) RS-42, (2) RS-52
Subwoofer: Klipsch RSW-10d, Klipsch R-12SW
Receiver: Onyko TX-NR757
SONY BDPS-5500, Playstation 3, Xbox 360
Universal Remote Control URC MX880 // Vutec VuFlex Pro 103" screen
Please rate my theater here!
LTB: Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs UV Code
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion