New: Black Friday Deals Week has started! Check out the Blu-ray Deals page » ×

Best iTunes Movie Deals

Black Friday Deals Week is Live »
Now: Serenity 4K $12.99 (93% claimed)
Now: Fifty Shades of Grey (Unrated … $6.99 (95% claimed)
Now: Field of Dreams $7.49 (57 mins left)

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Land Before Time III: The Time of the Great Giving (iTunes)$4.99 War for the Planet of the Apes (iTunes)$9.99 The Ox-Bow Incident (iTunes)$4.99
Transformers: The Last Knight (iTunes)$9.99 Heat (iTunes)$4.99
Serenity (iTunes)$4.99
Alien: Covenant (iTunes)$9.99
The Cabin in the Woods (iTunes)$4.99
Baby Driver (iTunes)$12.99 Inglourious Basterds (iTunes)$4.99
Ghost in the Shell (iTunes)$9.99
Ash vs Evil Dead, Season 1 (iTunes)$4.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies

Old 03-20-2017, 06:15 PM   #2881
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by master gandhi View Post
You don't have to accept digital as the future. It may not be the definitive future. Nobody knows that.

You don't have to settle for good enough. (Btw, have you upgraded to UHD and Atmos yet?)

You don't need to attack new members for defending digital in the Digital Movies forum, though. Debate, sure. But you act like people aren't allowed to prefer digital.
It's the equivalent of joining a Playstation frorum then bleeting on about Xbox or Nintendo. This is a Blu-Ray forum.

Have I upgraded, no. I am close but I want to ensure I have all the necessary display tech so I am waiting until the standards get ironed out a little. I will 100% be upgrading. Not sure what you are trying to imply by that or are you just being a smart Alec?
Old 03-20-2017, 06:38 PM   #2882
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
It's the equivalent of joining a Playstation frorum then bleeting on about Xbox or Nintendo. This is a Blu-Ray forum.

Have I upgraded, no. I am close but I want to ensure I have all the necessary display tech so I am waiting until the standards get ironed out a little. I will 100% be upgrading. Not sure what you are trying to imply by that or are you just being a smart Alec?
It's not inappropriate for people to talk digital on here. Many Blu-rays include digital copies. That's generally how most digital enthusiasts got into it. Plus this is the Digital Movies subforum. It's the most appropriate place for people to discuss it.

I thought that I saw you mention UHD in the past. I wanted to know if you were going to pursue that new format, and if not, why. It's the next level up from regular Blu-ray. I already own seven UHD discs. I haven't bought one lately, but I have a couple on preorder. I've yet to upgrade to a UHD player, so it's not that exciting to collect discs you can't watch. Good thing they're all combo packs with regular BDs and digital copies.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:40 PM   #2883
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by master gandhi View Post
It's not inappropriate for people to talk digital on here. Many Blu-rays include digital copies. That's generally how most digital enthusiasts got into it. Plus this is the Digital Movies subforum. It's the most appropriate place for people to discuss it.

I thought that I saw you mention UHD in the past. I wanted to know if you were going to pursue that new format, and if not, why. It's the next level up from regular Blu-ray. I already own seven UHD discs. I haven't bought one lately, but I have a couple on preorder. I've yet to upgrade to a UHD player, so it's not that exciting to collect discs you can't watch. Good thing they're all combo packs with regular BDs and digital copies.
That's fine, but it's the tone and the wording. It's just trolling IMO. Wave of the future and all that bollocks It's just bait plain and simple. Of course I will retaliate.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:44 PM   #2884
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
United States

Quote:
That's fine, but it's the tone and the wording. It's just trolling IMO. Wave of the future and all that bollocks It's just bait plain and simple. Of course I will retaliate.
Fair enough. Some of it does seem like baiting, and deserves a response. Both sides get a voice.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:52 PM   #2885
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-

Approaching the 2 year anniversary, 3000 posts/150pages of this thread.

Interesting to read the OP -- noting that the OP himself (herself/themself ??) is long gone from the thread.

The Pros/cons in the OP have pretty much remained the same with only one significant addition that I can surmise and that was made fairly early on "Quality of PQ/AQ"

The posters who started only/strongly preferred whether digital or physical side don't seemed to have changed their opinion at all. Despite the vigorous back and forth it seems to be going the way of a sanitized version of the Western Front in WWI, the epic Tug Of War in the Team Superstars competition from 40 years ago( I doubt many people would get that reference), or maybe an Elite Tic-Tac-Toe competition.

Though the names of several posters came and went fairly quickly. Some joined with a flurry and burned out, there are some constants -- roughly 1500 of the posts are attributed to 6-7 posters
Thanks given by:
bubba111 (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 07:48 PM   #2886

Oct 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
Approaching the 2 year anniversary, 3000 posts/150pages of this thread.

The Pros/cons in the OP have pretty much remained the same with only one significant addition that I can surmise and that was made fairly early on "Quality of PQ/AQ"
OP did a wonderful summary of both sides of the pro/con to begin with. Not sure there is much that has been added to either of the two sides since their original post.
Thanks given by:
bubba111 (03-20-2017), sleepydumbdude (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 08:11 PM   #2887
Expert Member

Feb 2011

I just can't understand why there has to be sides in all this?
Old 03-20-2017, 08:29 PM   #2888
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010
Moosic, PA

Quote:

This is a bit more than a Blu-ray forum at this point. It may have started that way, but we're well past that. People talk about movies, games, LEGO, digital, football, basketball, etc... All on this site. Hell I can't think of the last time I actually posted in the Blu-ray section of the forum haha.
Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand alloys and compositions and things with... molecular structures
Thanks given by:
master gandhi (03-21-2017), p w (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 08:36 PM   #2889
Expert Member

Dec 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMox81 View Post
physical and digital are direct substitutes for each other. If digital was just something that came with physical then we would not be so divided but as it as both sides see the other as a threat.

If digital gains to much popularity then it will devalue bds and fewer titles will make it to the format while simultaneously lowering the value of some peoples extensive collections. This is partly why dvd still sells better then blu ray if you have 1000 dvds and you accept that bd looks better then dvd then you would have an inferior collection that needs to be replaced. If you say you cant see a difference though then your collection is still just fine and you can ignore bd for your vested interests.

If physical wins out then digital distributors will go out of business and digital buyers will lose their entire collections due to the restrictive drm. The streaming market has been shown to be rather unstable as around one distributor has gone out of business each year.

Its like asking why hd dvd and bd customers both had a side. Their could be only one in the long term and the other guy gets screwed. The same thing is going to happen its just hard to tell if it will be physical, amazon video, itunes or vudu.

Last edited by veritas; 03-20-2017 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:36 PM   #2890
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMox81 View Post
Consequences.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:50 PM   #2891
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahS View Post
better start accepting it. It is the wave of the future it seems.
Not on this site it's not, you're preaching to the wrong choir. You hard drive collecting folk are out numbered 50 to 1, your insignificant little sub-forum (better start accepting that) only gets a small fraction of the traffic that the Blu-ray movie sub-forums receive here.
Setup:
Panasonic th-p65vt60a tv, Sony str-da5300es avr/pre-amp, Emotiva xpa-2 & xpa-5 amps, Dali Concept: 10 (fronts) 2 (rears x4) & centre speakers, 2x SVS pb13-ultra subwoofers, Oppo bdp-105 Blu-ray player/DAC (multi-region), Onkyo c-s5vl sacd player, Panasonic dmr-bwt835 1tb hdd/Blu-ray recorder, Xbox One s & 360 s, Sony PS4 Pro & PS3 60gb, Cyron lighting & htw1000 controller, Samsung s2 1tb hdd, SurgeX sx1210rli surge protector/power conditioner x3, Logitech Harmony ultimate remote + hub

Last edited by Cevolution; 03-20-2017 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Spelling error.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 09:41 PM   #2892

Feb 2017

Has anyone here tried Plex? Seems like you put your own collection onto a home sever and stream. Could be best of both worlds.

Edit - bloody autocorrect
Old 03-20-2017, 09:58 PM   #2893
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyOfDarknessAW View Post
This is a bit more than a Blu-ray forum at this point. It may have started that way, but we're well past that. People talk about movies, games, LEGO, digital, football, basketball, etc... All on this site. Hell I can't think of the last time I actually posted in the Blu-ray section of the forum haha.
I'm sure your financial situation has a lot to do with that:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=284074

Would that be the case though if your priorities hadn't changed?
Setup:
Panasonic th-p65vt60a tv, Sony str-da5300es avr/pre-amp, Emotiva xpa-2 & xpa-5 amps, Dali Concept: 10 (fronts) 2 (rears x4) & centre speakers, 2x SVS pb13-ultra subwoofers, Oppo bdp-105 Blu-ray player/DAC (multi-region), Onkyo c-s5vl sacd player, Panasonic dmr-bwt835 1tb hdd/Blu-ray recorder, Xbox One s & 360 s, Sony PS4 Pro & PS3 60gb, Cyron lighting & htw1000 controller, Samsung s2 1tb hdd, SurgeX sx1210rli surge protector/power conditioner x3, Logitech Harmony ultimate remote + hub
Old 03-20-2017, 10:00 PM   #2894
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010
Moosic, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cevolution View Post
I'm sure your financial situation has a lot to do with that:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=284074

Would that be the case though if your priorities hadn't changed?
Probably not. For some reason I don't enjoy talking about Blu-rays much. I like to talk about the movies themselves which the movies subforum fits me better. So many threads in the Blu-ray side are talking about bitrate and audio codecs and such. I personally don't care much about all that mumbo jumbo. I'm simple....I just want it to look good haha.
Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand alloys and compositions and things with... molecular structures
Old 03-20-2017, 10:24 PM   #2895
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Probably not. For some reason I don't enjoy talking about Blu-rays much. I like to talk about the movies themselves which the movies subforum fits me better. So many threads in the Blu-ray side are talking about bitrate and audio codecs and such. I personally don't care much about all that mumbo jumbo. I'm simple....I just want it to look good haha.
Stick with disc in that case.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:43 PM   #2896
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010
Moosic, PA

Quote:
Stick with disc in that case.
For the most part the digital movies are "good enough" for many cases. When I'm home sure I use the disc if I own it. However I rent digital absolutely (Blockbuster is gone and Redbox sucks). When I go to my friends or my parents I always use digital. Without a doubt it's easier than guessing what everyone wants to watch or bringing my entire disc collection with me. Both formats have benefits.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:45 PM   #2897
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2011
England

Quote:

Master Ghandi, apologies for this post. As someone who I respect on this forum, that last sentence was uncalled for.
Thanks given by:
master gandhi (03-21-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 10:46 PM   #2898
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
For the most part the digital movies are "good enough" for many cases. When I'm home sure I use the disc if I own it. However I rent digital absolutely (Blockbuster is gone and Redbox sucks). When I go to my friends or my parents I always use digital. Without a doubt it's easier than guessing what everyone wants to watch or bringing my entire disc collection with me. Both formats have benefits.
I'm a quality freak if you haven't already guessed.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:47 PM   #2899
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobz View Post
Has anyone here tried Plex? Seems like you put your own collection onto a home sever and stream. Could be best of both worlds.

Edit - bloody autocorrect
How much is a 200TB of storage with appropriate redundant backup?
Old 03-21-2017, 12:15 AM   #2900

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
How much is a 200TB of storage with appropriate redundant backup?
I had 120 TB NAS storage at home installed for about 10k last March or so. I'm sure the price probably has down since then. Mine can be upgraded to up to 200 I think, just cost as much as the storage to put in I am pretty sure after the initial build. I just paid someone to do it too. I think I am at like 69 TBs now and probably won't have to update anytime soon. I'm a digital hoarder.

That is with no backup but I can easily get that stuff back.

Last edited by sleepydumbdude; 03-21-2017 at 12:41 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies