Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Game of Thrones: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
Friday Night Lights: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$45.51
The Vietnam War (Blu-ray)
$68.10
Game of Thrones: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$57.19
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing (Blu-ray)
$154.29
Preacher: Season One (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Grimm: Season Five (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Doctor Who: The Complete Tenth Series (Blu-ray)
$70.50
Doctor Who: The Complete Eighth Series (Blu-ray)
$21.99
Red Dwarf XII (Blu-ray)
$28.57
Log Horizon: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$74.29
Clannad / Clannad After Story - Complete Season 1 & 2 Collection (Blu-ray)
$85.69
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Old 03-20-2017, 08:05 PM   #19561
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman3 View Post
I don't understand how one could say it needs a shorter season when the last five seasons have been 16 episodes? No one complained then.
You really don't understand? You haven't been paying attention because "filler" episodes have been a topic of conversation for a few seasons now.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:07 PM   #19562

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman3 View Post
No one complained then.
So you scanned all previous 978 pages of this thread for confirmation?
Thanks given by:
MovieKing101 (03-21-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 08:08 PM   #19563

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by -RONIN- View Post
Same. Another dull episode in what is probably my least fav season to date. Still love the show but not a fan of this season at all.

I'm starting to believe the seasons are too long. I think a season with say 10-12 episodes would make this an absolute beast of a series. Right now there are just way too many "filler" episodes that kill the momentum.
The seasons are already shorter than most other shows that have 22 or 24 episodes. I don't see how a 10 or 12 episode season is going to change things. If anything, the writers will just cover less ground over the course of the season if there were less episodes.

Let's also remember that the writers went out of their way to extend many of the episodes this season. If the writers believed that they were including too much filler, then why would they go out of their way to add time onto most of the episodes? Doesn't make any sense. I think people tend to forget that TWD is not an action show like 24 or all of the superhero shows they have on tv. It's a character drama first and foremost, just like shows such as Lost and The Wire. I think the real problem here is that TWD has managed to pull in a large group of people who watch for the action and zombies. So when the show goes into "character mode", which much of season 4 and season 7 has been, those people tune out. The writers need to find ways to keep everyone happy rather than doing an entire season of character development/build up and an entire season of action, which is probably what season 8 will look like.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:41 PM   #19564
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Alabama
Send a message via AIM to kevin87

Quote:
Originally Posted by myanks12 View Post
The seasons are already shorter than most other shows that have 22 or 24 episodes. I don't see how a 10 or 12 episode season is going to change things. If anything, the writers will just cover less ground over the course of the season if there were less episodes.

Let's also remember that the writers went out of their way to extend many of the episodes this season. If the writers believed that they were including too much filler, then why would they go out of their way to add time onto most of the episodes? Doesn't make any sense. I think people tend to forget that TWD is not an action show like 24 or all of the superhero shows they have on tv. It's a character drama first and foremost, just like shows such as Lost and The Wire. I think the real problem here is that TWD has managed to pull in a large group of people who watch for the action and zombies. So when the show goes into "character mode", which much of season 4 and season 7 has been, those people tune out. The writers need to find ways to keep everyone happy rather than doing an entire season of character development/build up and an entire season of action, which is probably what season 8 will look like.
They don't get episodes based on what the content of them will be, AMC orders the episodes and then the writers have to fill them with content. And I'd sooner think AMC orders extended episodes than they just need to do it, because even when they're extended they don't offer anything extra that would be missed in a normal 40ish minute episode.

Less episodes means less story to stretch out over 16 episodes and typically means a more cohesive and interesting story. That's why shows like Sherlock, despite buying into it's own hype in this past season, are so well liked. They also need to bring the core group back together, because now they're so scattered that they focus on one faction at a time when they shouldn't have to spend that much time telling people what's going on. We don't need 1 episode and then have to wait 3+ to see their reactions. If they want to keep them apart, I'd rather do like typical shows and split the time between them in every episode instead of devoting one episode to one group.

The best episodes of every season are the two premieres and finales for each set of episodes. The rest is 90% filler.
Looking for these slipcovers:
Killjoys: Season One
Outlander S1V1 and V2
The White Queen
Old 03-20-2017, 09:58 PM   #19565
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2013
The streets, YO!

I don't see a whole lot of discussion about Eugene's betrayal.

Are folks giving him a pass of some kind?

...that pickle-loving cow turd.
This is a snakeskin avatar.

...it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qJW0CgP-bA
Thanks given by:
MasturB (03-21-2017), OneWayFilms (03-21-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 10:22 PM   #19566
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jackson View Post
I don't see a whole lot of discussion about Eugene's betrayal.

Are folks giving him a pass of some kind?

...that pickle-loving cow turd.
I'm still trying to decide if he's turned or if he's waiting for his opportunity. I can't believe he would be so easy to turn after seeing his buddy's head bashed in... but he is a coward so...
Old 03-20-2017, 10:28 PM   #19567
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2013
The streets, YO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -RONIN- View Post
I'm still trying to decide if he's turned or if he's waiting for his opportunity. I can't believe he would be so easy to turn after seeing his buddy's head bashed in... but he is a coward so...
Opportunity for what?

To enact some sort of ingenious plan to overthrow Negan from the inside?

...I doubt it.

[Show spoiler]

Old 03-20-2017, 10:40 PM   #19568

Oct 2010
Rhode Island

Has this been Eugene's plan for Negan all along?

[Show spoiler]
We can be us, just for one day.
iScottie's Storefront
Old 03-20-2017, 10:51 PM   #19569
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2013
The streets, YO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScottie View Post
Has this been Eugene's plan for Negan all along?

[Show spoiler]
I have a feeling that Negan will be giving Eugene a very special pickle by the end of the season.

[Show spoiler]

Whether or not Eugene has the guts to take advantage of the situation is an open question.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:17 PM   #19570

Apr 2009

Here's my take on the Eugene situation.

He admits he's a coward.
Neegan has a bigger group of people who are scared of him and follow him.
Neegan hasn't squashed the whole "Lead Engineer" thing that Eugene made up

Right now he feels relatively safe

Compare that to when he was in Rick's group watching Abraham, one of the toughest people he knew, and a friend, get his head bashed in...by Neegan.

Also, Eugene as much as admitted to those three women that he ALWAYS thinks things through many moves down the road. While, right now, he's truly loyal to Neegan, I bet he kept those suicide pills in a safe space and that they'll come in handy later on.

When Rick and the gang finally do attack, you can bet he'll switch sides again, having some sort of plan in place to help save the day.

...Just in case.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:50 PM   #19571
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2010
USA

Is Eugene a traitor though? Rick treats him like shit, Negan treats him like royalty. If he did switch sides and this isn't some long con, the writers botched it because this doesn't make Eugene look bad, this makes Rick look bad.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:59 PM   #19572
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2013
The streets, YO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darev View Post
Here's my take on the Eugene situation.
[Show spoiler]
He admits he's a coward.
Neegan has a bigger group of people who are scared of him and follow him.
Neegan hasn't squashed the whole "Lead Engineer" thing that Eugene made up

Right now he feels relatively safe

Compare that to when he was in Rick's group watching Abraham, one of the toughest people he knew, and a friend, get his head bashed in...by Neegan.

Also, Eugene as much as admitted to those three women that he ALWAYS thinks things through many moves down the road. While, right now, he's truly loyal to Neegan, I bet he kept those suicide pills in a safe space and that they'll come in handy later on.

When Rick and the gang finally do attack, you can bet he'll switch sides again, having some sort of plan in place to help save the day.

...Just in case
I really doubt that in the moment, face to face with Rosita, that he was thinking about playing the long game.

I think he was scared shitless.

I think he's a very weak human being and likes the fact that his new life with the Saviors is one of relative comfort compared to his old one.

I don't think he wanted to give it up.

But yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if he gives his loyalty back to Alexandria when the shit goes down.

...but he's still a punk.

Thanks given by:
Krizzle1 (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 12:00 AM   #19573
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2013
The streets, YO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samus Aran View Post
Is Eugene a traitor though? Rick treats him like shit, Negan treats him like royalty. If he did switch sides and this isn't some long con, the writers botched it because this doesn't make Eugene look bad, this makes Rick look bad.
Seriously?

Remind me, how does Rick treat Eugene like shit?

Old 03-21-2017, 12:10 AM   #19574
Special Member

Jan 2013
Canada

Wow what a dull episode. Even drinking beer/getting drunk didn't even help it.

Im starting not to care about any of the characters except for Maggie because she is just damn hot.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:50 AM   #19575

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin87 View Post
They don't get episodes based on what the content of them will be, AMC orders the episodes and then the writers have to fill them with content. And I'd sooner think AMC orders extended episodes than they just need to do it, because even when they're extended they don't offer anything extra that would be missed in a normal 40ish minute episode.
I don't think that AMC is ordering extended episodes. I think they are giving the writers the freedom to go beyond the standard episode length if they feel they need to.

Quote:
Less episodes means less story to stretch out over 16 episodes and typically means a more cohesive and interesting story.
Not necessarily because we have no idea what the writers would have done if this season was 10 episodes. Maybe the season finale ends up being the episode when Spencer dies and Rick finally agrees to prepare for war with Negan.

Quote:
The best episodes of every season are the two premieres and finales for each set of episodes. The rest is 90% filler.
Depends on the definition of what exactly is filler and I think it's different for everyone. Back in season 2, I could say that the search for Sophia, which lasted almost 7 episodes, was filler and prevented the group from leaving the farm and discovering the prison that season. I could say that the herd storyline in season 6 was filler because it wasted time and prevented Negan from being introduced until the very last episode. In season 5, I could say that Terminus and the Beth plot was filler to kill some time and prevent the group from finally getting to Alexandria. This can be twisted around many different ways.

What it comes down to is this...if you're invested in the characters on the show and enjoy watching their interactions with each other, then you're probably going to be less inclined to call things filler. For example, if you don't like Sasha and Rosita, then their scenes in this last episode are filler and a complete waste of time. If you do enjoy their interactions, then you're probably going to feel that their scenes were worth watching in the episode. I happened to find the episode where Daryl and Beth drink moonshine in season 4 to be a waste of time and didn't move the plot along at all. But people who liked those two characters I'm sure enjoyed it.

Last edited by myanks12; 03-21-2017 at 02:54 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:26 AM   #19576
Banned

Dec 2012

I don't care about Eugene's betrayal because... I just don't care about Eugene's character and never have. He was on the show for some comedic relief and even that has already run its course and gotten stale.

In fairness to Eugene, I don't care about a lot of characters in the show either... and starting to care less about the main characters too.

Between Negan's backbreaking leaning, Rick doing Rick things, Daryl being emo again, Maggie basically doing the same powerplaying with Gregory that she did with Deanna, Dwight being unlikable and unredeemable, Carl being annoying again after getting himself out of the doghouse, Sasha about to commit suicide, Rosita always being pissed off, Carol being weird, Morgan being Morgan, Michonne just following Rick's lead, and never caring about Tara, Gabriel continuing to be weird, really the only character I'd be sad about dying at this point is Aaron. I've liked his character since he was found by the group, and liked him since. He's been underutilized.

As for the rest... Ezekiel I hope dies soon. I liked his right-hand man that died last week but even he was so forgettable that his name is for some reason not ringing a bell. Jesus is cool. He was cooler when he was this independent badass, now he's just doing whatever Alexandria wants to do and he's just become another sort of Abraham/Daryl character that marches to the beat of Rick's drum. Oh I did like Heath despite getting little screen time. I guess his character isn't technically dead and the've left it open-ended on purpose just incase he does comeback.

Last edited by MasturB; 03-21-2017 at 07:31 AM.
Thanks given by:
Troll2fan (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 07:39 AM   #19577
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2011
Crossville, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosHighDef View Post
I just want to see a zombie chew on someone's face again wtf.
That isn't what the show is about anymore, its about surviving the zombie apocalypse by any means necessary so the remaining humans are the real monsters.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:41 AM   #19578
Expert Member

Jan 2015
Euwcay

If the past is anything to go by, the next episode (15), will be 'filler' and the finale will be really good, which is pretty sad for us viewers, because this season has been the worst yet (if memory serves correct).

I dont care for it much anymore, I dont feel anything for the characters (anymore). I wouldve liked to be excited to see what Carol will do in the big battle, or how Morgan will come back from insanity, or what will happen to Sasha but i dont really give a damn, im not attached to the show as I was back in Season 1 or 2
Thanks given by:
blujacket (03-21-2017), Lemmy Lugosi (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 09:38 AM   #19579
Special Member

Jul 2010
Coventry, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by myanks12 View Post
I think people tend to forget that TWD is not an action show like 24 or all of the superhero shows they have on tv. It's a character drama first and foremost, just like shows such as Lost and The Wire. I think the real problem here is that TWD has managed to pull in a large group of people who watch for the action and zombies. So when the show goes into "character mode", which much of season 4 and season 7 has been, those people tune out. The writers need to find ways to keep everyone happy rather than doing an entire season of character development/build up and an entire season of action, which is probably what season 8 will look like.
That there is what I find to be the biggest problem of this show at the moment (and the past 3-4 seasons), the character drama is just poor most of the time. Comparing it to The Wire is not a fair comparison as that is excellently written throughout with (imo) no filler at all, whereas WD is just basic and full of filler.

The reason people are starting to not care about many of the characters is because they are so poorly written and so many of the cast get barely any screentime.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:47 AM   #19580
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon_LDT View Post
That there is what I find to be the biggest problem of this show at the moment (and the past 3-4 seasons), the character drama is just poor most of the time. Comparing it to The Wire is not a fair comparison as that is excellently written throughout with (imo) no filler at all, whereas WD is just basic and full of filler.

The reason people are starting to not care about many of the characters is because they are so poorly written and so many of the cast get barely any screentime.
Comparing it to LOST is pretty accurate, though. 75% awfulness, 25% worth watching.
WTB: Videodrome: Arrow Exclusive LE
House Collection: Arrow Exclusive LE
Thanks given by:
Lemmy Lugosi (03-21-2017)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows