Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
La La Land 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Planet Earth II 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Great Wall 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Logan 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Hidden Figures 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Furious 7 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Fifty Shades Darker 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.96
Assassin's Creed 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Hacksaw Ridge 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Fast & Furious 6 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Patriots Day 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Old 03-20-2017, 05:04 AM   #2481
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2010

Lots of conspiracies over that Oz release as well. Many people think Disney did it on purpose just to show how little 3D mattered and pointed to the sales and customer feedback (howls would be appropriate) of that item to justify dropping future 3D releases.

I don;t know if I believe it was intentional or someone just screwed up in the summer 2013, but certainly a bit suspicious what happened starting in 2014 with a 2.5 year 3D hiatus for Disney-proper. Let's assume that the 2nd half 2013 3D releases (TLM, Planes) were already in the pipeline and too late to cancel otherwise it would have been 3 years b/w Oz and Zootopia/Jungle Book.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:10 PM   #2482
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRings View Post
Hey, I'm into 3D big time...so when I said that all my 3D Blus come also with the 2D version...I was just wondering who only have the 3D Blu-ray versions and would love to play them in 2D from their Oppo 203 player, on a non-3D TV?

From over 600 3D Blu-ray titles on my shelves the special features are on the 2D disc.
I follow what you're saying...for the few rare exceptions. Then it's all cool for the less than one percent, @ the very max.

I think people who buy the 203 is for spinning ultra high def Blu-ray discs (4K). And some 3D Blus (in 3D), 1080p regular Blus, SACDs, DVDs (Video & Audio), and also for using the USB ports (external hard drives, sticks), and also for using the HDMI Input.
But it's mainly an ultra hi-def/hi-res disc spinner (physical discs).
It's the best build of them all, and it's the most followed of them all for support.

For folks without a Dolby Atmos receiver, and using only a soundbar or two speakers from the stereo analog output, it's all fine too because it provides them too.
And for folks with some only 3D Blu-ray movies, plus the special features contained in them it's great too...it provides to them as well.
Brief it's a complete universal player without streaming apps.

It has a multichannel analog out in gold plated jacks for people with old vintage receivers that have those. In 2017 I wonder how many use them?

Yeah, the 203 is a 4K machine, for most people. For people who like buying 4K Blu-ray movies and all that jazz.
I believe this whole discussion began with people discussing being able to watch 3-D discs in 2-D that contain shifting AR's. (GotG, Dr. Strange, Civil War, etc...)
Old 03-20-2017, 03:21 PM   #2483

Apr 2012

Quote:
Yes, you find one.

And the people who own a 203 can play the 2D version separately (it's also avail in 2D).

Also there is a Toy Story Trilogy 3D box set that only contains the 3D discs.
Thanks given by:
Carlos2992 (03-21-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 04:16 PM   #2484
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

There was a question against how to play or force play a 3D title with a UDP-203 when you have a non-3D display, that was addressed by several of us, however discussing which titles only came as 3D is not this threads topic.

Reminder this is the UDP-203 thread, thanks.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:45 PM   #2485
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead

3-D information for OPPO UDP-203 owners

"There are some older 3-D Blu-ray discs on the market that will allow people to play the program in 2-D for people that want to watch the program in 2-D and for consumers that do not own 3-D equipment. However most newer Blu-ray 3-D discs are locked by the studio and when consumers try and playback the Blu-ray on a 2-D display a message will pop up on the screen notifying the user that playback of the Blu-ray disc is not allowed since 3-D compatible equipment is not detected (no 3-D display and no 3-D A/V receiver HDMI passthrough technology is detected). Of course most 3-D movies like the Hobbit come with a standard 2-D Blu-ray disc to play the movie in standard 2-D. All standalone Blu-ray players on the market including the OPPO UDP-203 will not convert a 3-D locked Blu-ray disc to 2-D (PowerDVD 16 Ultra for Windows computers BD-ROM drives will convert locked 3-D Blu-ray discs to 2-D).

Therefore on a locked Blu-ray 3-D disc when the 3-D output is set to “Auto” or “Off” for the OPPO UDP-203 while 2-D equipment is connected, a pop up message from the studio will notify the consumer that 3-D equipment is not detected so playback is not allowed. Now if the 3-D Blu-ray disc is not locked then when “Off” is selected, the UDP-203 will then always output 2-D."

That was the info relevant.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:21 PM   #2486
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad_1138 View Post
I believe this whole discussion began with people discussing being able to watch 3-D discs in 2-D that contain shifting AR's. (GotG, Dr. Strange, Civil War, etc...)
You are absolutely right; it was regarding the aspect ratio that some 3D BR discs have occasionally, like from full IMAX (1.78:1) and widescreen 2.39:1
It's rare though, and very few even have three different aspect ratios that are only present on the 3D BR version and not on the 2D BR disc.

It started right here: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...postcount=2433

Then the relevant replies:
- http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...postcount=2436
- http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...postcount=2438
- http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...postcount=2440
- http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...postcount=2441
______

That was interesting because indeed we've all read before that people without being equipped for 3D playback would love to have the various aspect ratios from some Blu-ray films on the 2D BR version as well.
There are very few of them, but still it's nice to have it all, and I agree with these people. As I also agree that Dolby Atmos should be included as well on the 3D and regular Blu-ray versions, and not only/strictly reserved exclusively for the 4K BR versions by some studios. And that, is a baffling/discouraging thing from those studios. We can only deduct the forced business aspect of it; which to me is very unproductive.
______

The Oppo 203 is purchased by some customers who don't have a 4K TV (yet) but who do have a 4K Dolby Atmos/DTS:X AV receiver or pre/pro especially to get the "immersive 3D audio soundtracks" from the 4K Blu-ray discs exclusivity. ...Till eventually they change their display for a 4K one with HDR and even Dolby Vision chip on board (HDMI 2.0b/HDCP 2.2 and up). The last line I'm not sure exactly what the minimum spec is required from the display and receiver in order to be compatible with Dolby Vision...coming soon to the Oppo 203 via a firmware update. It's a big thing, for many, including I.

And we all are following this with the utmost attention...
After all, it is the 203's main future attraction feature.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:01 PM   #2487
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2009

Quote:
The last line I'm not sure exactly what the minimum spec is required from the display and receiver in order to be compatible with Dolby Vision...coming soon to the Oppo UDP-203 via a firmware update. It's a big thing, for many, including I.
If the UDTV you are currently using supports HDR10 and Dolby Vision decoding then connecting it directly to the UDP-203 would work, while sending audio to a non 4K/HDCP2.2 AVR separately.

If the AVR can pass 4K/HDCP2.2 then you could have Oppo UDP-203 connected to the AVR and in turn the AVR output to the UDTV with HDR10 and Dolby Vision decoding.

The AVR plays no role with Dolby Vision other then either being able to pass thru 4K/HDCP2.2 or not, that will be the premise for your necessary HDMI cabling method.

At this time Dolby still has not released any public information nor has any vendor that is know to be supporting Dolby Vision.

Oppo Digital still states:
Quote:
Does the UDP-203 support Dolby Vision?

At release, the UDP-203 will have support for HDR10. The UDP-203's hardware was designed with Dolby Vision support in mind, however, and customers can expect a firmware upgrade in early 2017 that brings Dolby Vision support to the player.
Best Guess: I suspect that we are looking at a May/June availability realistically to more match up to studio availability of UHD media with Dolby Vision Support.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:55 PM   #2488
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

JohnAV,

Are you saying that any A/V receiver that is HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 can pass both HDR10 and DolbyVision without the A/V receiver needing to be HDMI 2.0b or higher?

If that is true then its just the Blu-ray player and display that needs to be HDMI 2.0b to use DolbyVision.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:29 PM   #2489
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
JohnAV,

Are you saying that any A/V receiver that is HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 can pass both HDR10 and DolbyVision without the A/V receiver needing to be HDMI 2.0b or higher?

If that is true then its just the Blu-ray player and display that needs to be HDMI 2.0b to use DolbyVision.
I was generalizing, not getting overly concerned with people that are worried about HDMI 2.0 revisions.

The difference between 2.0a revision and initial 2.0 is the support for HDR, and the UDP-203 supports HDR now.

When the UDP-203 receives Dolby Vision upgrade in the future, the output will become HDMI 2.0b compliant since supporting HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) HDR meta data is the difference between 2.0b and 2.0a.

Also as FYI the UDP-203's HDMI input and output are HDCP 2.2 compliant.
Thanks given by:
Paul H (03-21-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 11:51 PM   #2490
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2009

To add to the question above - (quoted from Sound and Vision)
Quote:
Is My AV Receiver Dolby Vision-Compatible?

Unlike HDR10, support for Dolby Vision isnít tied to a specific flavor of HDMI. Thatís because Dolby designed its format, which employs dynamic metadata that varies on a frame-by-frame basis rather than the static metadata used with HDR10, to work independent of HDMI versions, with the metadata embedded in the video signal itself instead of riding on top in a separate layer. According to the company, Dolby Vision is compatible with HDMI versions extending as far back as HDMI 1.4b.

Having said all that, when I ran your question by Dolby, hereís the answer I received: ďDolby Vision can technically be routed through any equipment starting at v1.4.b and above, however, the device needs to be aware of the kind of signal properties that differentiate Dolby Vision from a standard SDR signal. To this effect, we have issued a compatibility SDK that several manufacturers have already used to obtain pass-through compatibility on upcoming products. Compatibility on existing products is something that could possibly achieved as well, but is of course at the discretion of each manufacturer/OEM.Ē
Old 03-20-2017, 11:54 PM   #2491
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2012
US of A

Quote:
JohnAV,

The industry is finding that HDMI 1.4 or greater is not the only thing you need to pass Dolby Vision. The chips in receivers or soundbars, etc. have to be updated to actually see the DV data in order to pass it through untouched. Not all manufacturers will be willing to update their older models. They want you to buy the latest thing over and over and over again.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:40 AM   #2492

Jan 2015
Lucerne Valley CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxBachelor1981xx View Post
Reading through this thread and seeing people concerned about apps on a player when 4K TV'S already have apps . I think Oppo needs to be more concerned with getting this player to Operate correctly. Like how about we fix the Tray issue which has now happened to me 3 different times.
I finally experienced this issue a few minutes ago. I hit the power button and turned off after about 10 seconds but the tray didnít go back in. When I turned the power back on, the tray went back in. Weird. This has been the one and only glitch I've experienced in my two weeks owning the player. Hopefully, it won't happen again.
LG 4K OLED 65B6P
Oppo UDP-203
AudioQuest Carbon 2' HDMI Cable
Samsung 4K UN65HU7250
Old 03-21-2017, 03:42 AM   #2493
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2012
US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncraft View Post
I finally experienced this issue a few minutes ago. I hit the power button and turned off after about 10 seconds but the tray didnít go back in. When I turned the power back on, the tray went back in. Weird. This has been the one and only glitch I've experienced in my two weeks owning the player. Hopefully, it won't happen again.
Tell Oppo about this glitch. The more noise, the better.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:23 AM   #2494
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmFreakosaurus View Post
The industry is finding that HDMI 1.4 or greater is not the only thing you need to pass Dolby Vision. The chips in receivers or soundbars, etc. have to be updated to actually see the DV data in order to pass it through untouched. Not all manufacturers will be willing to update their older models. They want you to buy the latest thing over and over and over again.

Which means you most likely are going to need a HDMI 2.0b or HDMI 2.1 or greater in the A/V receiver in order to use both HDR and DolbyVision, especially if the A/V receiver has its own internal 4K Ultra HD processor built in.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:57 AM   #2495
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2009

Quote:
Which means you most likely are going to need a HDMI 2.0b or HDMI 2.1 or greater in the A/V receiver in order to use both HDR and DolbyVision, especially if the A/V receiver has its own internal 4K Ultra HD processor built in.
Revision 2.0b would address HDR10, Dolby Vision and HLG in 2017 with the UDP-203.

HDMI 2.1 was just announced in January, and hasn't been finalized (Q2-Q3 2017 est) so maybe see it in some devices in 2018. HDR10 with dynamic metadata is part of that spec.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:19 AM   #2496
Special Member

Nov 2009
San Diego, CA

I haven't been able to look through all (125!) pages here, but did check back a few..

I see some "Oppo region free" tricks.. one is burning a "Superdisc" which will enable region-free DVD Playback, another is to buy a ~$50-100 external piece that plugs into the RS-232 port and the USB port on the back.

Before trying either of these, has anyone had experience (good or bad) with either?
Old 03-21-2017, 08:38 AM   #2497
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2010
Denmark
Default OPPO Digital UDP-203 UltraHD Blu-ray player

USB piece is for code free BD I think. People say the superdisc works.
Hands off the compression button, Music Industry!
Hands off the DNR button, Blu-Ray producers!
Films are supposed to have grain!

https://twitter.com/Kristofferabild

Last edited by kristoffer; 03-21-2017 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:41 PM   #2498

Mar 2017
California

Lionsgate, Warner, Universal already announced they will make DV UHD Disc movies. Lionsgate's Mega Hit HDR10 blu ray Sicario is now $14.99 at Best Buy, Amazon. This lowering of price for UHD portends DV discs forth-coming. Likely DV discs arriving at time of OPPO 203 getting its DV firmware update. Would OPPO 203 owners think April, May?

Last edited by E6AtmosVuduDV; 03-21-2017 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Spelling, verbage
Old 03-21-2017, 08:27 PM   #2499
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by E6AtmosVuduDV View Post
Lionsgate, Warner, Universal already announced they will make DV UHD Disc movies. Lionsgate's Mega Hit HDR10 blu ray Sicario is now $14.99 at Best Buy, Amazon. This lowering of price for UHD portends DV discs forth-coming. Likely DV discs arriving at time of OPPO 203 getting its DV firmware update. Would OPPO 203 owners think April, May?
I made that guess a few posts up. Last sentence.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:56 AM   #2500
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead

Quote:
Originally Posted by E6AtmosVuduDV View Post
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology