Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase 2 Collection 3D (Blu-ray)
$174.99
Insurgent 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Strike Back: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Insurgent (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight (Blu-ray)
$22.99
How to Train Your Dragon (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$34.96
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$14.90
Home 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Mad Max: Fury Road 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$44.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 06-17-2015, 08:50 PM   #601

Oct 2013
Texas

Gosh, I'm late. I preordered this disc back in 2013 and subsequently missed the whole issue with the audio. I just emailed Sherri/WB. I hope she still works there It has been interesting reading through the PS3 info above. Glad I decided to revisit this thread.

Also, I looked around and there doesn't appear to be a thread (sticky) cataloging objectively problematic/defective releases. Having missed this issue for almost two years makes me feel that might be a nice addition to the forum?
Old 06-17-2015, 09:06 PM   #602
Blu-ray Prince

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckt View Post
Gosh, I'm late. I preordered this disc back in 2013 and subsequently missed the whole issue with the audio. I just emailed Sherri/WB. I hope she still works there It has been interesting reading through the PS3 info above. Glad I decided to revisit this thread.

Also, I looked around and there doesn't appear to be a thread (sticky) cataloging objectively problematic/defective releases. Having missed this issue for almost two years makes me feel that might be a nice addition to the forum?
This thread covers defective/problematic releases:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=249210
Thanks given by:
ckt (06-17-2015)
Old 06-18-2015, 12:59 AM   #603

Oct 2013
Texas

Just in case anyone is still wondering, I preordered the disc on Amazon and was able to get a replacement sent. I emailed Ms. Bogard at WB customer service at the aforementioned email address and she responded within a few hours. Said she was happy to help. Surprised and pleased by how easy that was.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:35 PM   #604
Blu-ray Prince

Mar 2012
New York City

Just finished watching this for the first time. I thought it was a great movie, and a great accomplishment in terms of the flight scenes. The sound was incredible at times too. There were quite a few haunting/surreal scenes in it too, which I wasn't expecting from a film with this subject matter. The only nitpicks I have is I thought it could have been trimmed a little bit, as the pacing meanders at times. I also didn't care for the way it ended. I feel like the narration about
[Show spoiler] Gus Grissom dying was completely unnecessary, and I didn't like how they focused solely on Cooper to end it. I think they should have written something that highlighted the whole team, and perhaps even Yeager too.
Other than that though, it's an excellent movie.

Last edited by MifuneFan; 07-07-2015 at 05:40 PM.
Thanks given by:
HeavyHitter (07-07-2015)
Old 07-13-2015, 04:34 PM   #605

Nov 2011
Default Corrected version?

Blu-Ray.com has listings for both the regular 30th Anniversary Edition and the Corrected Version. Can anyone explain what's been corrected? I just hope for the blu-ray that the studio gave us a pristine transfer this time and not that lousy print with all the scratches and dirt that was on the DVD.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:40 PM   #606
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
UK

The difference is with regards to the audio codec.

It was advertised with having a Dolby TrueHD 5.1 96/16 track (Dolby Advanced 96k Upsampling), but was released with a Dolby TrueHD 5.1 48/16 track.

The corrected release features the 96/16 track.
"It's too bad she won't live.. But then again who does."
Old 07-13-2015, 04:41 PM   #607
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebinrock View Post
Blu-Ray.com has listings for both the regular 30th Anniversary Edition and the Corrected Version. Can anyone explain what's been corrected? I just hope for the blu-ray that the studio gave us a pristine transfer this time and not that lousy print with all the scratches and dirt that was on the DVD.
The original release did not include the 96 kHz audio I believe. There were no issues with the picture quality - it's the same on both releases.
My blu-ray wishlist Top 10: 1) The Day Of The Jackal 2) The Road To Wellville 3) The Pink Panther Series 4) The original Sleuth 5) True Lies 6) Danger Diabolik 7) Fletch Lives 8) The Parallax View 9) Popeye 10) Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid
Old 07-13-2015, 04:44 PM   #608
Blu-ray Prince

Mar 2012
New York City

I liked the movie so much, that I decided to buy the original book it's adapted from. It's in the bargain section at B&N for just $2.99!

The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe
Old 07-13-2015, 04:51 PM   #609
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech-UK View Post
The difference is with regards to the audio codec.

It was advertised with having a Dolby TrueHD 5.1 96/16 track (Dolby Advanced 96k Upsampling), but was released with a Dolby TrueHD 5.1 48/16 track.

The corrected release features the 96/16 track.
I had the original release and had the studio send me the 96/16 version. I was really excited to hear the hi-res audio, but I have to admit, I can't hear any difference in audio quality whatsoever and that's probably because there is absolutely no audio above 24KHz on the soundtrack and humans can't hear in that frequency range anyway.
loose="not tight", lose="can't find it, doesn't have anymore" or the opposite of "win".
their="belongs to", there="place", they're="they are", there's = "there is"
it's="it is", for everything else use "its"
then="after", than="compared with"
"a lot" not "alot"

A Guide to Spelling and Punctuation
Old 07-13-2015, 05:06 PM   #610
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoetMB View Post
I had the original release and had the studio send me the 96/16 version. I was really excited to hear the hi-res audio, but I have to admit, I can't hear any difference in audio quality whatsoever and that's probably because there is absolutely no audio above 24KHz on the soundtrack and humans can't hear in that frequency range anyway.
I don't want to start a discussion regarding 96kHz audio, as there are many, but up/oversampling does have its benefits.

It's down to the individual as to whether it matters.
"It's too bad she won't live.. But then again who does."
Old 07-13-2015, 08:17 PM   #611

Feb 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebinrock View Post
Blu-Ray.com has listings for both the regular 30th Anniversary Edition and the Corrected Version.
??? So only BB has it? Seems like that by now, so would all the other vendors with their most recent new stock. When I added it to Amazon's cart it listed new stock coming in on 7-15.

GM
Old 07-13-2015, 11:12 PM   #612

Sep 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpm View Post
??? So only BB has it? Seems like that by now, so would all the other vendors with their most recent new stock. When I added it to Amazon's cart it listed new stock coming in on 7-15.

GM

Amazon probably just has to refill their inventory. I ordered and received a copy last week (what with the price finally going down a bit!) and I can confirm it's the fixed version.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:49 AM   #613

Feb 2013

Cool! Thanks! I'm going to ask BB to price match.

GM
Old 07-14-2015, 12:17 PM   #614

Oct 2009
-

Is there a way of telling if you are getting the the corrected version from the cover ??

Last edited by sartana; 07-14-2015 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:38 PM   #615

Apr 2014
Connecticut for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
I liked the movie so much, that I decided to buy the original book it's adapted from. It's in the bargain section at B&N for just $2.99!

The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe
Look at the cover of that book...

I think it says something when the author's name is so much bigger than the title.

And to think he is responsible for The Bonfire of the Vanities...lol
Old 07-21-2015, 01:28 PM   #616

Nov 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sartana View Post
Is there a way of telling if you are getting the the corrected version from the cover ??
I imagine the best way to tell would be to look at what indicator shows up on your AV receiver. Or if you have a way to activate an on-screen display of what your blu-ray player is outputting (96 KHz or 48 KHz).
Old 07-21-2015, 01:34 PM   #617
Blu-ray Prince

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrichard View Post
Look at the cover of that book...

I think it says something when the author's name is so much bigger than the title.

And to think he is responsible for The Bonfire of the Vanities...lol
I hope you're not thinking it's some reflection of the quality of the book itself. It happens all the time with books, when an author reaches a point where their name alone will sell people on a book. I don't like it, but it's just a marketing gimmick.

Here are older edition covers

Last edited by MifuneFan; 07-21-2015 at 01:44 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America