COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$38.99
Man of Steel Limited Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Man of Steel Exclusive Action Figure Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Les Misérables (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Flowers of Evil: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$41.89
Revolution: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$17.96
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Marvel Bundle (Blu-ray)
$64.99
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Snow White and the Huntsman (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Napoleon Dynamite (Blu-ray)
$7.99
3 Days to Kill (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Legend of Korra - Book Two: Spirits (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$44.99
The Rodgers & Hammerstein Collection (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

Old 11-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
Expert Member

Oct 2012
Northern California
Default Some good news (finally) for Sorcerer fans

For some back history, this article was taken from a Sorcerer blogger with a dedicated fansite (http://sorcerer1977.wordpress.com/) of an interview by Eddie Muller for Fandor back in July of this year (http://www.fandor.com/blog/the-art-o...iam-friedkin):

William Friedkin: “I’ve sued Paramount and Universal because up until this year they allowed every organization that was legitimate to screen it—every university, film society, film club, the American Cinematheque, the AFI, Harvard, Cambridge, Oxford, other film enthusiast clubs that wanted to run it.

They made a new print of it last year… a 35mm print that was beautiful. It was last run at the Cinematheque, at the Aero Theatre in Santa Monica. And after that, they [Paramount] started sending letters to a group called Cinefamily that wanted to run it, which has a huge subscription of film lovers, and Lincoln Center, and the Brooklyn Academy of Music, who wants to run it in a retrospective. They sent them all letters, which would bounce to me from these organizations, saying ‘We no longer own the film, and we don’t know who does.’ And I said, ‘That’s not possible.’ So I called the guys I know who run these [studios], and they said, ‘Well, let me check it, we’re looking into it,’ and they couldn’t figure it out. The young lawyers who run these studios have no idea of the library, the legacy, or anything else—they’re just told to wrap up all 35mm, forget about all those film clubs and all that, let’s wean people onto digital, we don’t make any real money off of these screenings. So they sent these letters.

So, given that they put in writing that they don’t own the film and don’t know who does—I sued them with one of the best lawyers in Los Angeles. The suit is now in the Ninth Circuit to determine who owns it, to have them produce documents to indicate who the owners are. If they sold the film to, let’s say, a dentist in Des Moines—then tell me that!

We’ve asked them for discovery, all the documents pertaining to ownership, and it’s part of my claim, saying, ‘Well, if you guys don’t own it, I must,’ because I’m a profit participant. And I want it, and I can get it released tomorrow—theatrically as well as on home video.

So instead of simply settling, they’ve let it proceed. The presiding judge of the Ninth Circuit set the date of November of this year—November 26—by which to have a settlement conference, and end it before it ever gets to trial. And if that doesn’t happen, he has set it over for trial for on March 13 of 2013. And that’s where it stands. A settlement conference no later than the end of November, or a trial in March of 2013. And I don’t know—they may find some obscure thing in the law that says that they don’t have to tell me shit, but I am a profit holder.

I’m not suing the for money—and that’s in my suit—I’m suing them for the right to have the film shown by whoever wants to show it, and in my complaint I’ve said that if any money comes to me from this, I’ll donate it to film preservation and restoration… except whatever my lawyers want, and my lawyers aren’t looking to do this for money.”

11/6/12
UPDATE:
From Mr. Friedkin’s Twitter account: To all the fans of Sorcerer: talks are ongoing between Paramount, universal and me.

It's definitely a good sign that they're working this out through mediation before the court date. Hopefully, this lawsuit will be settled soon and we'll see the release of this film next year!
Old 11-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2012
London
-

Hopefully this can be resolved and we get a multi region blu ray release asap
Old 11-08-2012, 08:16 PM   #3
Special Member

Jan 2011

Sweet. I actually prefer this to The Wages of Fear, hands down.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:32 PM   #4
Special Member

Jan 2011

Great interview BTW. Thanks for the link
Old 11-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
Expert Member

Dec 2007
Hawaii

I've wanted to see this again for so long. Here's hoping.

Thank you for posting, quickdraw.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:39 PM   #6
Special Member

Apr 2012
Hawaii

Meh...this is old news.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:05 PM   #7
Special Member

Jan 2011

Not to some of us, obviously.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:40 PM   #8

May 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Send a message via Skype™ to oscarmerkx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Sandwich View Post
Great interview BTW. Thanks for the link
+1.

I had never heard of this one from Friedkin.

Thanks
Old 11-11-2012, 03:29 AM   #9
Expert Member

Jun 2012

If Paramount and Universal are involve then why doesn't Shout! release it? They have sub-licensing deals with them.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:02 AM   #10

Dec 2008
Default Thanks

Thanks for the update. Now that November 28th has passed, is there another update?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists