COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$38.99
Man of Steel Limited Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Man of Steel Exclusive Action Figure Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Les Misérables (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Flowers of Evil: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$41.89
Revolution: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$17.96
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Marvel Bundle (Blu-ray)
$64.99
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Snow White and the Huntsman (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Napoleon Dynamite (Blu-ray)
$7.99
3 Days to Kill (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Legend of Korra - Book Two: Spirits (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$44.99
The Rodgers & Hammerstein Collection (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 07-13-2014, 12:35 PM   #3161
Special Member

Dec 2008
Lisbon, Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterey Jack View Post
Precisely. It's like the Alien Anthology set...the third and fourth movies stink, but just consider them as drink coasters, because you get the awesome first two movies, plus two discs' worth of superb extras (and the making-of documentary for Alien 3 is far more compelling than the movie itself).

Alien 3 WP is great and as good as Aliens.

Last edited by Eny-; 07-13-2014 at 01:24 PM.
Thanks given by:
ijustblumyself (07-13-2014)
Old 07-13-2014, 12:50 PM   #3162
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijustblumyself View Post
What reason would you have to loathe the set? I looked back over the last couple of pages and could not find anything in particular.
Yeah, like atexp80 said.
If memory serves, the disc content is exactly the same (?), and I've bought many UK BDs, but the logo clash on the Supe set is particularly galling. And, I'd have to stress, unless you're 19 or have 20/10 vision, there are NO titles on the discs (itsy, bitsy, tiny round-the-edge). There are pix of all of these things way back in the thread. Plus I prefer the US box although some find it to be too flimsy. I hasten to add that many folks are very satisfied with the UK set and it now has a huge price advantage.

----------------------------------

Hey, here's an old post that should cover it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief3624 View Post
It wasn't until Man of Steel that I started to respect and love Superman, so naturally I never picked up the Superman Motion Picture Anthology when it came out... and now I'm totally regretting it

Are there any websites that have it brand new on Blu-ray for less than $150?

I'm also looking for a site that would be easy for my parents to navigate and purchase from, since I am putting this on my birthday list haha, and they aren't the most amazing with technology
At that price, I would seriously advise waiting. It's almost impossible they won't be coming out with a new edition relatively soon (perhaps to coincide with MoS on Blu?). That being said, I saw one on eBay, but that was about $163 with shipping - and that was Canadian (don't know the diff on that one)! All of the rest are the UK version (much cheaper but a bit different box and labeling). The buyer must beware as many sellers are selling the UK edition with a picture of the US edition.

You probably already know the US/UK difference, but just in case:

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmmusic View Post
Does anyone know, the US and UK 8 Bluray sets, are identical? I mean, have they cut anything in the UK, as they usually do?

Content: the same; but, Package: no. See and judge for yourself : Here and Here.

P.S. Wow! Sons Of Sparda beat my post and I didn't even see it. That's great if it's the US version - which I didn't think anyone was still selling ...
But I called WB and they say it's the US version and as far as they know - the original! Good luck!

http://www.wbshop.com/product/superm...FQ2Z4AodnngA5Q

http://www.shopdcentertainment.com/p...FUyk4AodfRkA3w
You can only have too much ammo if you're on fire or swimming.

Digital Copies Available ($1-$3 or Best Offer). PM Me For List.
Thanks given by:
insomniac013 (07-13-2014)
Old 07-13-2014, 03:08 PM   #3163

Jul 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by atexp80 View Post
In short: the fact that there are ratings logos and that the titles are small on the disc. In other words, absolutely nothing to do with the films or the content.
So, not worth whining about?

Slips are for Dips.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:45 PM   #3164
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdm5777 View Post
UK set because of price, correct? I don't believe it has any extra special features.
Yes, the price is hard to beat, overall.
JVC DLA-RS4810 front projector (ISF pro-cal'd)
Stewart StudioTek 100, CinemaScope 108" wide screen
Samsung 51" F5300 plasma
Oppo BDP-983 & BDP-103D Blu-ray player
Denon AVR-X3000 (Audyssey pro-cal'd)
Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 1000 (fronts)
Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 800 (surrounds x 4)
HSU VTF-15H sub
Old 07-13-2014, 04:46 PM   #3165
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Memphis View Post
Some of us loathe the UK set for reasons which have been ranted about over and over again elsewhere in the thread.
I realize the ratings on UK boxes are as ugly as can be, but it always comes down to $$$ savings for me so long as the audio/video quality is the same.
JVC DLA-RS4810 front projector (ISF pro-cal'd)
Stewart StudioTek 100, CinemaScope 108" wide screen
Samsung 51" F5300 plasma
Oppo BDP-983 & BDP-103D Blu-ray player
Denon AVR-X3000 (Audyssey pro-cal'd)
Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 1000 (fronts)
Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 800 (surrounds x 4)
HSU VTF-15H sub
Old 07-21-2014, 03:42 PM   #3166
Special Member

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter View Post
I realize the ratings on UK boxes are as ugly as can be, but it always comes down to $$$ savings for me so long as the audio/video quality is the same.
Those UK ratings are usually all over the discs too...yuk!

The only UK box set I bought was the Alien anthology because UK was disc hubs and US was disc sleeves.

If I get anything that uses sleeves (MoS Tin, Indiana Jones box set, or Star Wars box set) I almost always have to get a replacement because of at least 2 scratched discs. I make custom artwork and use Vortex Elite Multi-disc cases to house the discs.

I HATE disc sleeves.

Last edited by Dreamliner330; 07-21-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:52 PM   #3167
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey Parker View Post
Honestly there are so many awesome extras on this set that it's worth picking up for any Superman fan even if you don't want Superman III and IV
I have another problem:
I want the 4 Superman films, but I don't want Superman Returns!
I don't feel that it belongs with the other films!
i know that with this pack you get all the others, but it's like an OCD of me.
I don't want to have a movie that i won't watch. Even if it is offered to me for free.

Same with Jurassic Park. I was obliged to buy the 3 movie pack (although I didn't want the third film), but now fortunately that the Spielberg box will be released, I'll sell this!

I really hope there was a 4-movie Superman box!
Most wanted Blurays: Raintree County, Star Wars OT, Sissi Trilogy, Spacecamp, Spacehunter: adventures in the forbidden zone, Maurice, Explorers, Mayerling, Supergirl, Krull, Free Willy, Return to Oz, True Lies, Abyss, Bringing Up Baby, Death in Venice, Wilde, Ulysses 31, Ducktales, Candy Candy (anime series)
Old 07-21-2014, 03:59 PM   #3168
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012
Georgia

Quote:
I have another problem:
I don't want to have a movie that i won't watch. Even if it is offered to me for free.
I had the same issues with this Superman Motion Picture Anthology set, but I caved in when I found a used copy of this set in perfect condition for only $40 at a used store down the street a couple months back.

In all honesty, it still chaps my tail a little bit that Superman Returns is in my collection, but it's worth it to have the first four movies and all of their respective versions for the price. For what it's worth, I did sit through Superman Returns again just for kicks, and it's not that bad. I would never have bought it on its own, though.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:02 PM   #3169
Power Member

Jul 2010

How do you figure a movie that features footage of Marlon Brando as Jor-El, the John Williams theme, an actor who was supposedly cast due to a resemblance to Reeves and is connected story-wise to Superman and Superman II doesn't belong in a box set with them?

WHV made the right call. 19 year gap between films aside Superman Returns ties to previous films make it's inclusion in the box more comparable to including the Schumacher Batman films alongside the Burton films (which is appropriate) vs including the Nolan films (which doesn't really make sense).

My advice: get over your OCD. It's an awesome box. By far the best of the three big WHV superhero boxes (the other two being the Batman Anthology and the Dark Knight Ultimate Trilogy)
"My boys are 8, 10 and 12 and never saw the SE editons or the PT until I had ingrained in them the UOT over and over again and again. They do not like the PT nor the SE editions at all to this day." -LAdodgers
Thanks given by:
JackKnightStarman (07-22-2014)
Old 07-21-2014, 04:11 PM   #3170
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuruAskew View Post
How do you figure a movie that features footage of Marlon Brando as Jor-El, the John Williams theme, an actor who was supposedly cast due to a resemblance to Reeves and is connected story-wise to Superman and Superman II doesn't belong in a box set with them?
In the same way that I feel Indy 4 doesn't belong with the trilogy!
Most wanted Blurays: Raintree County, Star Wars OT, Sissi Trilogy, Spacecamp, Spacehunter: adventures in the forbidden zone, Maurice, Explorers, Mayerling, Supergirl, Krull, Free Willy, Return to Oz, True Lies, Abyss, Bringing Up Baby, Death in Venice, Wilde, Ulysses 31, Ducktales, Candy Candy (anime series)

Last edited by filmmusic; 07-21-2014 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:17 PM   #3171
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
I have another problem:

Same with Jurassic Park. I was obliged to buy the 3 movie pack (although I didn't want the third film), but now fortunately that the Spielberg box will be released, I'll sell this!
I really hope there was a 4-movie Superman box!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Owl View Post
I had the same issues with this Superman Motion Picture Anthology set, but I caved in when I found a used copy of this set in perfect condition for only $40 at a used store down the street a couple months back.

In all honesty, it still chaps my tail a little bit that Superman Returns is in my collection, but it's worth it to have the first four movies and all of their respective versions for the price. For what it's worth, I did sit through Superman Returns again just for kicks, and it's not that bad. I would never have bought it on its own, though.
GuruAskew covered the inclusion argument, so I won't go there. However, it seems to me that it must be OCD because you're keeping something you don't want. Take the Returns disc out and use it for target practice or play Frisbee golf with it or whatever (I would suggest the classic "coaster" usage, but then you'd have to keep looking at it). Get some joy outta your purchase. Immolate the sucker.
You can only have too much ammo if you're on fire or swimming.

Digital Copies Available ($1-$3 or Best Offer). PM Me For List.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:22 PM   #3172
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Memphis View Post
GuruAskew covered the inclusion argument, so I won't go there. However, it seems to me that it must be OCD because you're keeping something you don't want. Take the Returns disc out and use it for target practice or play Frisbee golf with it or whatever (I would suggest the classic "coaster" usage, but then you'd have to keep looking at it). Get some joy outta your purchase. Immolate the sucker.
I guess it's severe OCD since I can't have a box set with an empty place for a disc. (not to mention that the box will still have the photos of Superman Returns on it, the titles, the contents on its back cover.. everything that will say that there was once a Superman Returns disc in there)
The same i can't have custom covers for my BLurays, and other stuff.
I want to have and keep a Bluray as I buy it, and not make any change on it whatsoever!

Well, in the end it seems I will get the box because there is no other way, but I won't like it that the Superman Returns disc will be in my house.

Last edited by filmmusic; 07-21-2014 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:26 PM   #3173
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012
Georgia

Quote:
I guess it's severe OCD since I can't have a box set with an empty place for a disc.
The same i can't have custom covers for my BLurays, and other stuff.
I want to have and keep a Bluray as I buy it, and not make any change on it whatsoever!

Well, in the end it seems I will get the box because there is no other way, but I won't like it that the Superman Returns disc will be in my house.
I feel the same way about custom covers and missing discs.

Superman Returns is not a horrible movie. It's just a movie that I marginally enjoyed at the theater years ago, but had no real desire ever to see again.

The best way to go about it is simply to think of Superman Returns as an extra supplementary feature, in the same way that the early Superman movies and the early Superman cartoons on the other discs are supplements. The main attraction is the four Christopher Reeve movies.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:30 PM   #3174
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Owl View Post
I feel the same way about custom covers and missing discs.

Superman Returns is not a horrible movie. It's just a movie that I marginally enjoyed at the theater years ago, but had no real desire ever to see again.

The best way to go about it is simply to think of Superman Returns as an extra supplementary feature, in the same way that the early Superman movies and the early Superman cartoons on the other discs are supplements. The main attraction is the four Christopher Reeve movies.
Thanks for trying to help me..
You would think, since they released a triple feature pack (with Superman 1 , 2 and Superman Returns) they would release a Christophere Reeve pack with the 4 movies!
Strange..
Old 07-21-2014, 08:17 PM   #3175

Oct 2013
Brooklyn NY

Quote:
In the same way that I feel Indy 4 doesn't belong with the trilogy!
Rocky 5
Batman & Robin (and possibly Batman Forever for that matter)
Psycho 3 & 4

And so on lol.
Thanks given by:
Ray_Rogers (07-21-2014)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Tags
superman