Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Cyber Monday Deals Week is Live »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$26.49
The Ultimate James Bond Collection (Blu-ray)
$99.99
Star Trek Beyond (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Star Trek Into Darkness 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Buster Keaton Collection (Blu-ray)
$136.99
Cowboy Bebop: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$67.99
Hannibal: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$21.99
Eugenie (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Rick and Morty: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.49
The Leftovers: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Back to the Future Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Krampus (Blu-ray)
$6.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 06-29-2016, 12:01 AM   #1401
Blu-ray Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Is it confirmed the plastic case release has "remastered" discs? I thought people mentioned on here before it did not.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:38 AM   #1402

Sep 2014

This is the set I was taking about:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Doctor...Blu-ray/91496/

Everytime I buy it from Amazon they send me Season 6 Part 1 and Part 2 wrapped together.

Edit: @ Sons of Sparda, that's the set
Old 06-29-2016, 09:46 PM   #1403

Feb 2012
San Francisco, Ca

Just curious if the American Version of Series 1 that was released last week, was re-pitched so the audio isn't fast or slow? I it at all different than the British Release?
Old 06-30-2016, 12:51 AM   #1404
Blu-ray Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by albabe View Post
Just curious if the American Version of Series 1 that was released last week, was re-pitched so the audio isn't fast or slow? I it at all different than the British Release?
Same discs as before. They were pitch-corrected though, always were. If they weren't it would be super obvious. Now it's just somewhat obvious.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:55 PM   #1405

Feb 2012
San Francisco, Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
Same discs as before. They were pitch-corrected though, always were. If they weren't it would be super obvious. Now it's just somewhat obvious.
I thought the Special Features on the Brit Discs didn't play on American Players?
Old 06-30-2016, 08:42 PM   #1406

Sep 2014

That's funny cause the UK sets all the special features play for me
Old 06-30-2016, 08:51 PM   #1407
Special Member

Apr 2009
Richmond, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dml1988 View Post
That's funny cause the UK sets all the special features play for me
That means your tv/blu-ray player is capable of 50i. Some US players are fine with it. The majority of them are not though.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:26 AM   #1408
Blu-ray Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
I thought the Special Features on the Brit Discs didn't play on American Players?
Same discs as before means same discs as the Seasons 1-7 set that came out in the US. The UK discs do use PAL SD extras, and it is weird they bothered making two different discs, but there ya go.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:48 PM   #1409

Feb 2012
San Francisco, Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
Same discs as before means same discs as the Seasons 1-7 set that came out in the US. The UK discs do use PAL SD extras, and it is weird they bothered making two different discs, but there ya go.
THANX!

I completely forgot about the American Box Set.... dang, I'm dense sometimes!
Old 08-02-2016, 11:05 PM   #1410
Special Member

Nov 2011
Minnesota

Has anyone seen the Second series at Best Buy early yet like the first one was?
Old 08-03-2016, 12:01 AM   #1411

Mar 2012
Boulder

Not yet. And I haven't seen the First Series at local Barnes & Noble either. Doesn't bode well for the next British sale. In fact, my local B&N Blu-ray sections are beginning to look slim. The vinyl section is expanding. I note recent DW sets 'retail' at $90 -- good grief. Does anybody buy at MSRP? Even at half that, it's still steep.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:43 AM   #1412
Blu-ray Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by f451 View Post
Not yet. And I haven't seen the First Series at local Barnes & Noble either. Doesn't bode well for the next British sale. In fact, my local B&N Blu-ray sections are beginning to look slim. The vinyl section is expanding. I note recent DW sets 'retail' at $90 -- good grief. Does anybody buy at MSRP? Even at half that, it's still steep.
Despite having a local distributor in Warner, BBC stuff is still treated like imports and have import prices. Especially Doctor Who. To be fair they usually pack the sets with extras, which most TV shows no longer do. Still around $3 an episode on release day, which ain't bad.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:41 PM   #1413

Feb 2012
San Francisco, Ca

I just finished the American Release of Doctor Who Series 1 on Blu-Ray. I always enjoy Christopher Eccleston's Portrayal. Definitely one of my faves. (Paul McGann is one of my very fave Doctors too. I never saw the TV Movie with Paul in the Lead, but I think his reprisal of the Doctor in the lengthy 6 minutes and 49 Seconds of "The Night of the Doctor" is pretty awesome).

My hearing is not the best, especially when it comes to some British Accents ("A lot of Planets have a North"), so I watch the Doctor with the Subtitles on... and I found this odd thing "thing" in The Empty Child episode[s].

In the beginning of the episode we enter a Nightclub with a sexy singer performing a nice version of the great Isham Jones and Gus Kahn toon, "It Had To Be You."

She sings, "For nobody else gave me THE thrill..." (and it’s subtitled the same). She uses the Word, "The," which is Technically the Wrong "word." No biggie. Performers almost always make a Song their Own, and changing one Word is only barely an actual change ... but immediately after that, there’s something very very odd.

She continues, "With all your faults I love you still,” and it's subtitled as “When I Uphold Silence still.”

Is this some secret message, or just an idiot with hearing as bad a mine who couldn’t be bothered to look online for the actual Lyrics?

Now I could be a bit daft and think that this was a very early clue to the good Doctor's meeting with The Silence… and I’m sure Russell T would love to take credit for it, and be adored by the Fans for leaving a little Trail of Breadcrumbs and planning so far ahead… and maybe he's already has taken credit... but did Russell actually plan for something that would happen 6 or 7 years later - with a different Producer? I'm thinking, not likely.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:47 PM   #1414

Feb 2012
San Francisco, Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
Has anyone seen the Second series at Best Buy early yet like the first one was?
I noticed last week that Doctor Who Blu-Ray's Series 2 was "Currently unavailable" and 3 & 4 had disappeared from my Amazon Shopping Cart entirely.

It seems they're all sorta back but Series 2 is no longer available for Preorder on Amazon.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:21 PM   #1415
Blu-ray Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

I never use them, but I have read many times that subtitles are often weird or off like that at random moments.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:44 PM   #1416

Dec 2015

Quote:
I noticed last week that Doctor Who Blu-Ray's Series 2 was "Currently unavailable" and 3 & 4 had disappeared from my Amazon Shopping Cart entirely.

It seems they're all sorta back but Series 2 is no longer available for Preorder on Amazon.
And it's looking like it won't be for a while, if ever

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Doctor-Series-2/22544

Also, the TV movie is coming to the UK on Blu, but not America.

These are all region free, right? The UK releases on Blu, and presumably the film?

I was going to wait for the US to get its act together and buy the discs in this country, but it doesn't look like that'll happen.
Thanks given by:
Petey Parker (08-08-2016)
Old 08-08-2016, 05:54 PM   #1417
Power Member

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricPeterTork View Post
And it's looking like it won't be for a while, if ever

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Doctor-Series-2/22544

Also, the TV movie is coming to the UK on Blu, but not America.

These are all region free, right? The UK releases on Blu, and presumably the film?

I was going to wait for the US to get its act together and buy the discs in this country, but it doesn't look like that'll happen.
They are region free yes. As long as this is 1080P there shouldn't be any issues with playback on any players (at least in regards to the main feature)
Old 08-08-2016, 06:07 PM   #1418
Power Member

Aug 2013
TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey Parker View Post
They are region free yes. As long as this is 1080P there shouldn't be any issues with playback on any players (at least in regards to the main feature)

The actual show is region free HD, the extras on the early seasons are PAL SD, and won't be playable here. Basically, if you have a Region 1 player, don't trust a BBC disc that says its region free; some have the unplayable extras problem, many others are 1080i/50, and completely unplayable on a region 1 machine.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:39 PM   #1419

Mar 2009

So are Series 7 and 9 playable in the US? Thinking of importing those since they're much cheaper.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:56 PM   #1420
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey Blu View Post
So are Series 7 and 9 playable in the US? Thinking of importing those since they're much cheaper.
If you have a player that can handle 1080i/50 then yes.

I'm not 100% if the bonus/extras are still PAL/SD like the first 5 series or possible they all made it to 1080/50 as well.

Base.com had Series 7 for about £6.66+ 3.99 shipping to US in early July. It's still £11.99 (9.99 minus VAT) so still looks far cheaper than the Amazon.UK Price. A bit over $18USD shipped. It looks like at some point I signed up for an acct at base.com, but never ordered. It's really sad at this point I have no memory of being on this site at all.

Last edited by hariseldon; 08-08-2016 at 08:22 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Tags
box set, doctor who, gift set, limited edition, sci-fi