Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Spider-Man: Homecoming 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.36

Walking With Dinosaurs: The Movie 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.00

The Martian 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.91
2 hrs ago
Priest 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.00

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters 3D (Blu-ray)
$23.54

Skyscraper 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.12

Thunder and the House of Magic (Blu-ray)
$8.34

Monster House 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.86

Oz the Great and Powerful 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Prometheus 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.00
9 hrs ago
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$118.99

Captain America: Civil War 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.98

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors

Old 05-26-2011, 05:12 PM   #1
Banned

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England
Default Are Samsungs really that bad?

I'm hoping to get a low-end 3d-ready 40-50" for <>$1000 (no Insignia or Vizio, thank you, I'm stingy but not an idiot ) and as I have no intention of getting a Plasma, the only low-end LED/LCD's I see at Best Buy are Panasonic, Sony (one or two), and lots and lots of Samsungs.

As I understand it, the Panasonics are sweet, and the Sonys are Nice If You Can Get Them, but require an additional add-on Transmitter to get 3-D signal.
Otherwise, I looked up the customer reviews on various Samsung models, and almost every single model had at least a few reviews of "The thing died on me in six months/two years!"
I've been using a Toshiba TV all this time, so I can't speak for the general reliability of Samsung as a brandname....But should I panic? I'm not sure whether I want to hear "Oh, buy one anyway", just that user-submitted reviews tend to fluctuate between "new owner and "revenge" posts, and the description of the tech failures seem to be suspiciously common between the specific Samsung models.
Any battle stories from experienced users?

Last edited by EricJ; 05-26-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
Expert Member

Nov 2008
Akron, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
I'm hoping to get a low-end 3d-ready 40-50" for <>$1000 (no Insignia or Vizio, thank you, I'm stingy but not an idiot ) and as I have no intention of getting a Plasma, the only low-end LED/LCD's I see at Best Buy are Panasonic, Sony (one or two), and lots and lots of Samsungs.

As I understand it, the Panasonics are sweet, and the Sonys are Nice If You Can Get Them, but require an additional add-on Transmitter to get 3-D signal.
Otherwise, I looked up the customer reviews on various Samsung models, and almost every single model had at least a few reviews of "The thing died on me in six months/two years!"
I've been using a Toshiba TV all this time, so I can't speak for the general reliability of Samsung as a brandname....But should I panic? I'm not sure whether I want to hear "Oh, buy one anyway", just that user-submitted reviews tend to fluctuate between "new owner and "revenge" posts, and the description of the tech failures seem to be suspiciously common between the specific Samsung models.
Never owned one but yea, it seems there are more than a few horror stories about the Samsungs on many HT forum. Heck, the latest with the whole spider cracks on their panels was really strange so I guess you really are rolling the dice when you buy one, but then I'm sure it's the same with all brands. Personally, I've had three Panasonics, one LCD in my bedroom, a 65" plasma I'm using in my basement HT and a brand new 42ST30 plasma in my living room and all three have been problem free and are working just fine. I'm especially thrilled with the new ST30 even though I'm not into 3D, the display has pretty amazing PQ on anything I watch plus it's in your price range (under $1000 and comes with the wifi dongle) AND if you buy now you get a free Panasonic 110 3d blu-ray player which I just hooked up last night to the ST30 and all I can say is wow! BB usually has one up and running so check it out.
EQUIPMENT: LG 77C8PUA OLED
OPPO BDP-203 blu-ray player-OPPO DV-983H dvd player-Pioneer CLD-99 laser disc player-Marantz 7703-Preamplifier-200x3 Acurus amplifier-150x2 Acurus amplifier-Emotiva UPA-2 amplifier-Outlaw Model 5000 5-channel amplifier-2 Mythos 4 (l/r)-1 Mythos 8 (c)-2 Mythos BPX (sides)-2 NHT Super Zero (rears)-4 SVS Prime Elevation speakers-Hsu VTF-2 MK3 subwoofer-Sony SDP-EP9ES digital surround processor-Xbox One S-Roku Ultra streaming player
Old 05-26-2011, 06:33 PM   #3
Power Member

Feb 2008
Berkeley, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post

I'm actually looking at this
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+...203d&cp=1&lp=4

I've had a Bravia for 4 years now and I want a 3D TV. I really like the colors on the Plasmas and have been a huge improvement compared to older ones. My mom's plasma has been working well for the past 6 years and it is Samsung and it goes through daily use. Out of all the TV's I have been only interested in Sonys but I'm really liking Samsung right now. No transmitters and now cheaper glasses. I never look at customer reviews, I'd like to try myself. If they do go bad within 6 months - 2 years hell...buy insurance. Bad investment or not I always get em.
55" Sony A1E
Sony UBP‑X800
Apple TV 4k
PlayStation 4 Pro
Bose Soundtouch 300
Old 05-26-2011, 06:38 PM   #4
Expert Member

Nov 2008
Akron, Ohio

And be aware that a new problem has come up as the Antiglare / Antireflective coating is peeling on new Samsung plasmas. Which is just weird.
EQUIPMENT: LG 77C8PUA OLED
OPPO BDP-203 blu-ray player-OPPO DV-983H dvd player-Pioneer CLD-99 laser disc player-Marantz 7703-Preamplifier-200x3 Acurus amplifier-150x2 Acurus amplifier-Emotiva UPA-2 amplifier-Outlaw Model 5000 5-channel amplifier-2 Mythos 4 (l/r)-1 Mythos 8 (c)-2 Mythos BPX (sides)-2 NHT Super Zero (rears)-4 SVS Prime Elevation speakers-Hsu VTF-2 MK3 subwoofer-Sony SDP-EP9ES digital surround processor-Xbox One S-Roku Ultra streaming player
Old 05-26-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
Expert Member

Mar 2011
Massachusetts

IMO you can't go wrong with a Samsung. I have supported them for years now, haven't had any problems yet. I can't speak for any other manufacturers, but Samsung is all about the quality, great customer service too! Good luck!
Old 05-26-2011, 10:10 PM   #6
Expert Member

Jul 2010

yeah i have had about 5-6 Samsung hdtv's over the years. i have had lcd, led, and plasma ones. i have NEVER had any issues with ANY of mine. I actually just purchased the LED 55 Inch D7000. It was just delivered and I can't wait to get off work.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:16 PM   #7

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

I'm looking to replace my 20" PC monitor with a Samsung 24" 1080p HDTV. I've talked to lots of people and I haven't heard anything negative about them, so I have no problem buying one with confidence.
John - I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
My personal motto: "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
I reserve the right to post as a member. When I post as a Moderator I will select a color depending on my mood!
Dynavector - Genesis - Harman/Kardon - Marantz Reference - Mogami - Nitty Gritty -- Oracle Audio - Pioneer - Valab/King
Old 05-27-2011, 12:36 AM   #8
Power Member

Aug 2009
Surprise Arizona
Default Love my sammy

Samsung has it's problems just like any other brand. One problem....possibly, is (I don't have numbers to back this statemnt) I "think" there could be more Samsungs out there than most brands. Every poll I ever see that asks what TV/brand do you own, Sammy's always are at the top of the list. They can't be all that bad because there wouldn't be that many people buying them. Sammy's aren't inexpensive either and there's so many reapeat customers. So I would say there's bound to be more issues due to the fact there are more out there. Might be a weak argument, but hey, I'm sticking to my story.

I have owned 4 Samsungs and have never had even the slightest issues. I love them and would buy one again and then again. Bottom line, you have to make the decision.
Epson 6010 3D projector +120" powered Elite Cinetension. Integra 30.7 AVR + APC J-10
7.3 Def Tech BP10B 2006TL 2002 CLR Pro Monitor 1000
SVS PB2000 + PB12 NSD + Def Tech supercube 1 Oppo BDP-93. Sonos Connect + Niles OS7.3
HT=Magni2 Uber, Portable=Oppo HE-2, DFR. Desktop=Balanced Gumby Multibit Gen 5>Mjolnir2>Ember V.2
HP=Balanced Atticus, Balanced LCD2-C, Balanced AFO, TH-X00 PH mod, Balanced Peterek modded MDR-Z7, 99 classic, Neo, AH-D2000 mod, Balanced HD 650.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:58 AM   #9
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The empire state

My 1st Samsung (LNT-4061F) had a bad panel within it's 1st yr. Samsung replaced it with a brand new panel which started having a light vertical black line on the right side of the screen a few months after. I ended up cracking the screen. I went out a bought the 40' B630 from BB and it' started getting black static squares in black areas (thank god it was within the 30 exchange period @ BB). So I returned it (I wanted to get the 46' B6000 slim LED but I can't remember the exact model # but that BB didn't have it) and got a 46' XBR9 (if I had to do it over again, I would have gotten plasma). When I replace my XBR9 (which hopefully will be soon if I get a good paying job), I'll go with Panasonic (not because I had issues with Samsung's sets but just that Panasonic is a better plasma maker).
DISPLAY: LG OLED55C7P (professionally calibrated by Kevin Miller)/Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR656/SPEAKERS: Polk T15 (X6)/Polk CS180/SUBWOOFER: Polk PSW10/BLU-RAY PLAYER: OPPO UDP-203/STREAMING MEDIA PLAYER: Apple TV4K (32GB)/CONSOLE: PS4 pro/RETRO CONSOLES: NES classic/SNES classic

Last edited by Wingman1977; 05-27-2011 at 01:00 AM.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:19 AM   #10
Expert Member

Feb 2011
S. Ontario

Hey bud. I hope you have found what your looking for and not to be confrontational but I read your question and your asking for help picking out a lower priced TV. There are a ton of people on this site that have budgets and perhaps calling them idiots by choosing one lower than your standards doesnt really bode well for getting great answers. I myself would not consider purchasing a HTIB, but to ask a question about HT and say that other owners of them were less than, due to there quality, shows a lack of tact. This is a great site to learn from and help out and Im sure you meant no harm but lets keep it positive. BTW... I really do hope you find a great TV.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:20 AM   #11

Jan 2011
Austin, Austin MA?

Cant go wrong with the new samsungs, I own three and love them all they are perfect for 3d.
Always do what makes for a better story.

Samsung UN55C9000, Samsung UN55C7000WF, Samsung UN46C6300SF, Samsung BD-C6900XAA, Samsung HW-C560S, PS3
Old 05-27-2011, 08:27 AM   #12

May 2011
brisbane, down under

I got a 32'' LED Samsung for my room 6 months ago and its been working fine. Especially considering it was the cheapest compared to the other brands in the same category.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:33 AM   #13

Dec 2008
Fort Worth Texas

i bought my 3rd samsung last month and have had no issues at all...
Old 07-06-2011, 05:13 PM   #14

May 2011
Wisconsin

I've only owned one Samsung TV and I was not a fan. I got a 16x9 26" tube television of theirs. The colors and pictures seemed to be poor compared to me adjusting the setttings in DVI. The picture on my Panasonic 27" was way more crisper and vibrant connected through component. Though the picture was an issue, the bigger issue was with their DVI input. The picture always cut off the upper corners and I would probably have never noticed if I was not a gamer. When I played games I could never see my health or other stuff on the TV. The set was complete garbage and I mainly only buy Sony and Panasonic sets for my television needs. I have heard good things of their LCD's but I do not know if I will try one again. Though if I had to pick between Samsung and a Dynex or Vizio, I would probably go with a Samsung again....but I always check out Sony and Panasonics when shopping.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:49 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Mobile, AL

I like Samsung. I have a Samsung LED DLP and a Samsung plasma. I also have a Samsung ceramic top range, microwave and refrigerator. They've all been great products so far. The plasma I've only had for about a month, but the rest I have had for at least a few years.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:54 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Mobile, AL

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton02 View Post
Hey bud. I hope you have found what your looking for and not to be confrontational but I read your question and your asking for help picking out a lower priced TV. There are a ton of people on this site that have budgets and perhaps calling them idiots by choosing one lower than your standards doesnt really bode well for getting great answers. I myself would not consider purchasing a HTIB, but to ask a question about HT and say that other owners of them were less than, due to there quality, shows a lack of tact. This is a great site to learn from and help out and Im sure you meant no harm but lets keep it positive. BTW... I really do hope you find a great TV.
I agree with that. I had a Westinghouse LCD... and the picture was pretty bad compared to my other HDTV's, but for what I was going to use it for; price and size were just as important a factor as picture quality. When I accidentally fried that TV while running my electrical through the wall... I replaced it with a Vizio... because again price and size were important factors. I was very pleasantly surprised at the Vizio picture quality. For what I paid for it, it was an EXCELLENT value.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:37 AM   #17
Banned

Feb 2011
Deep in the Valley

I have always had samsung tvs, loved them and have no issues. I am about to pick up the Samsung UN55D6420U for my first 3d tv. the only thing I have to told to to is tunr on auto motion plus
Old 07-11-2011, 01:36 AM   #18

Nov 2008

I just purchased my first 3d plasma, a 59" Samsung, PN59D550C1. I hope it turns out to be reliable because I love the picture quality.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:54 AM   #19
Expert Member

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Brazil View Post
I just purchased my first 3d plasma, a 59" Samsung, PN59D550C1. I hope it turns out to be reliable because I love the picture quality.
sweet! how do you like it? i just picked up the PN59D6500 today at my local Best Buy. came with a blu ray player and the starter kit.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:10 AM   #20

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepooch21 View Post
sweet! how do you like it? i just picked up the PN59D6500 today at my local Best Buy. came with a blu ray player and the starter kit.
So far, so good. After calibration, both the 2d and 3d picture quality is outstanding. It has great blacks and vivid color. I just picked it up from Best-buy on July 5th.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors