Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Wolf Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$28.85
Star Trek Beyond 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Ghostbusters 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Star Trek Beyond (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$58.89
Labyrinth 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.75
The Shallows (Blu-ray)
$19.99
13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The X-Files: The Collector's Set + The Event Series (Blu-ray)
$239.99
Ghostbusters (Blu-ray)
$22.99
My Fair Lady (Blu-ray)
$17.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

View Poll Results: What is your favourite Friday the 13th film(s)?
Friday the 13th (1980) 349 24.73%
Friday the 13th Part II 304 21.55%
Friday the 13th Part 3 3D 208 14.74%
Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter 436 30.90%
Friday the 13th Part V: A New Beginning 92 6.52%
Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason lives 351 24.88%
Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood 137 9.71%
Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan 83 5.88%
Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday 56 3.97%
Jason X 115 8.15%
Freddy Vs. Jason 138 9.78%
Friday the 13th (2009) 80 5.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1411. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-12-2016, 01:25 PM   #13321

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo View Post
One thing I always found funny is how Friday the 13th is often derided for "cheating" on the whodunit aspect. I never thought we were really supposed to suspect any of the core characters. Instead of a whodunit angle, I thought the killer was kept mostly unseen simply to add to the eeriness and for the surprise that it was a seemingly sweet older woman behind it all.
I agree, it isn't a mystery so there's no cheating. You don't expect it to be a mom (or a woman in general). Victor Miller (writer) said he envisioned someone more feminine than how they had Betsy appear in the movie, though. What's funny is now some people expect it to be hockey masked Jason at the end. So it still works. But back to the mystery aspect; I think one of the reasons for it seeming to play like a mystery is that Steve and Mrs Voorhees drive similar jeeps so it looks like Steve is being set up as a suspect, but I think this is in the movie just to confuse Alice and cause her to run straight to the killer. If she didn't think she recognized the jeep she would have stayed barricaded. The only other moment in the movie that can be seen as suspicious is Bill killing the snake.
Thanks given by:
Cujo (07-12-2016)
Old 07-12-2016, 02:20 PM   #13322
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2013
Scotland

They should've had Betsy Palmer appear as one of the customers in the diner at the beginning of the film.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:04 PM   #13323

Nov 2009
Georgia

How did Betsy Palmer manage to throw dead people through windows?

I respect what the original film tried to do, and Black Christmas is a solid slasher, but's just not as good as Halloween. It doesn't have the memorable score, as good of camera work, the entertaing characters or a finale that matches up with Halloween. The characters in Black Christmas come off as a bit more sophisticated, but also kind of flat in someways.
Thanks given by:
Jay Mammoth (07-12-2016)
Old 07-12-2016, 07:24 PM   #13324
Blu-ray Baron

Dec 2012
Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
Something like this. I think Halloween is well, well above any Friday the 13th movie. Halloween 2 and 4 are probably roughly tied. The rest of Halloween is mostly garbage (the Myers films I mean, I love Halloween 3). The rest of Friday the 13th can be quite fun and enjoyable.
I love the first three Halloween movies. For me, though, the series basically ends at that point. I get a hankering to revisit the fourth film ever so often, but not enough to buy the disc.

With regard to Friday the 13th, the first two movies are the lion's roar for me, and none of the subsequent efforts measure up (although The Final Chapter comes close). They're all fun movies, though, and even the worst one (Jason Goes to Hell) has a good re-watch value.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:09 PM   #13325

Apr 2015

With Friday's twist, I never felt that it was a whodunnit. I thought that the whole point was that the counselors weren't supposed to know Pamela, and that's what it's so tragic. The deaths were the product of a delusional mind, the same mind that Alice succumbs to at the very end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
I respect what the original film tried to do, and Black Christmas is a solid slasher, but's just not as good as Halloween. It doesn't have the memorable score, as good of camera work, the entertaing characters or a finale that matches up with Halloween. The characters in Black Christmas come off as a bit more sophisticated, but also kind of flat in someways.
See, I think that everything Halloween did, Black Christmas did 10 times better. The score is not a memorable, but that piano slamming (Peter's angry soul emotionally incarnated) creates a scarier film than Carpenter's could ever hope to be. Drunk swearing Barb, Jess and innocent Claire have more dimension than Laurie, Annie, Linda and Loomis. That abortion subplot is huge. The camera work is way stronger in the blurred POV shots, the warped view of the home's interior, the cuts between the children and the unicorn death, and the zoom in to the bodies or weapons. Mrs Mac is also hilarious and shows a better sense of humor than Ghost Bob or Totally. The finales are matched for me. Myers is still 'out there', while Billy is still 'in there'.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:59 PM   #13326

Nov 2009
Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinot Grigio View Post

See, I think that everything Halloween did, Black Christmas did 10 times better. The score is not a memorable, but that piano slamming (Peter's angry soul emotionally incarnated) creates a scarier film than Carpenter's could ever hope to be. Drunk swearing Barb, Jess and innocent Claire have more dimension than Laurie, Annie, Linda and Loomis. That abortion subplot is huge. The camera work is way stronger in the blurred POV shots, the warped view of the home's interior, the cuts between the children and the unicorn death, and the zoom in to the bodies or weapons. Mrs Mac is also hilarious and shows a better sense of humor than Ghost Bob or Totally. The finales are matched for me. Myers is still 'out there', while Billy is still 'in there'.
I appreciate what Bob Clark was trying to do, but I just didn't find Jess and her boyfriends issues to be all that interesting. I didn't care about Peter at all. This is probably why I find it to be a good movie, but not a great one. I think Donald and Jamie made the best of their characters. They're not overly deep on paper, but they're more memorable than the characters from Black Christmas. IMO.

Like I said, Clark took a more sophisticated approach that what Carpenter ended up taking, but I felt the abortion subplot was hindrance more than anything. Perhaps that's because I've never given the issue much thought. It kind of just go in the way.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:55 AM   #13327

Jan 2016

Black Christmas is the scariest of the bunch. Halloween is my favorite for nostalgia reasons. Friday is the one I watch the most. Not sure how all three statements can be true but that's where I stand.

All three obliterate Nightmare and Texas Chainsaw in my eyes (sacrilege probably).
Thanks given by:
The Great Owl (07-13-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 02:17 AM   #13328
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2013
Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
How did Betsy Palmer manage to throw dead people through windows?
She was pretty butch...
Old 07-13-2016, 05:01 AM   #13329
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2012
SE MI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markgway View Post
She was pretty butch...
... and had Savini's strong hands!

You always hear stories of mothers having bursts of exceptional strength when defending or trying to save their children. Guess it works the same way when avenging your child!
Old 07-13-2016, 05:19 AM   #13330

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markgway View Post
She was pretty butch...
With a cable-knit top and abilty to heavy lift like that, you expect her to chew dip.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:12 AM   #13331
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2013
Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonBros View Post
With a cable-knit top and abilty to heavy lift like that, you expect her to chew dip.
Is that a euphemism?
Old Today, 06:40 AM   #13332

Jan 2013
Miami/Brooklyn

Does anyone know where you can purchase this set for a resonable price? Doesnt have to bebrand new but in pretty good condition.

I've checked all the major places but only found it on Amazon & eBay for $300. Im wanting to get it for my mom's bday (yes they are her fav movies...she says they remind her of the drive-in days lol). I would give $100 maybe a little over.

I know some people on here know borderline secret places that might have it lol

Also why is it oop? Im sure this has been discussed and I apologize since I only skimmed the last few pages.

Thanks.
I support the right to arm bears.

http://www.criterion.com/my_criterio...ine/collection

Last edited by tisdivine; Today at 08:04 AM.
Old Today, 07:06 AM   #13333
Special Member

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tisdivine View Post
Does anyone know where you can purchase this set for a resonable price? Doesnt have to bebrand new but in pretty good condition.

I've checked all the major places but only found it on Amazon & eBay for $300. Im wanting to get it for my mom's bday (yes they are her fav movies...she says they remind her of the drive-in days lol). I would give $100 maybe a little over.

I know some people on here know bosrderline secret places that might have it lol

Also why is it oop? Im sure this has been discussed and I apologize since I only skimmed the last few pages.

Thanks.
It's OOP because Warner had the rights to several hundred Paramount titles for three years. It's possible Paramount will release the same set, but that doesn't help you right now. Unfortunately, this set is difficult to find at a reasonable price. I would try eBay and even Best Buy. It's a long shot, but they may have an unsold copy where you are located. Good luck.
Thanks given by:
tisdivine (Today)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America