Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Star Wars: The Complete Saga (Blu-ray)
$58.49
Star Wars: The Complete Saga (Blu-ray)
$58.49
Office Christmas Party (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Straw Dogs (Blu-ray)
$27.99
The Mummy: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$25.09
The Big O: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$45.99
The Untouchables: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$43.38
La La Land 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Planet Earth II 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Outlaw Star: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$43.79
Logan (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Transformers: The Movie (Blu-ray)
$14.69
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


View Poll Results: What is your favourite Friday the 13th film(s)?
Friday the 13th (1980) 386 24.55%
Friday the 13th Part II 331 21.06%
Friday the 13th Part 3 3D 227 14.44%
Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter 496 31.55%
Friday the 13th Part V: A New Beginning 100 6.36%
Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason lives 388 24.68%
Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood 148 9.41%
Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan 88 5.60%
Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday 59 3.75%
Jason X 119 7.57%
Freddy Vs. Jason 148 9.41%
Friday the 13th (2009) 86 5.47%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1572. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2016, 04:04 PM   #13321
rocknblues81 rocknblues81 is offline
Power Member
 
rocknblues81's Avatar
 
Nov 2009
Georgia
661
455
78
13
Default

How did Betsy Palmer manage to throw dead people through windows?

I respect what the original film tried to do, and Black Christmas is a solid slasher, but's just not as good as Halloween. It doesn't have the memorable score, as good of camera work, the entertaing characters or a finale that matches up with Halloween. The characters in Black Christmas come off as a bit more sophisticated, but also kind of flat in someways.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Jay Mammoth (07-12-2016)
Old 07-12-2016, 07:24 PM   #13322
The Great Owl The Great Owl is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
The Great Owl's Avatar
 
Dec 2012
Georgia
2112
229
251
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
Something like this. I think Halloween is well, well above any Friday the 13th movie. Halloween 2 and 4 are probably roughly tied. The rest of Halloween is mostly garbage (the Myers films I mean, I love Halloween 3). The rest of Friday the 13th can be quite fun and enjoyable.
I love the first three Halloween movies. For me, though, the series basically ends at that point. I get a hankering to revisit the fourth film ever so often, but not enough to buy the disc.

With regard to Friday the 13th, the first two movies are the lion's roar for me, and none of the subsequent efforts measure up (although The Final Chapter comes close). They're all fun movies, though, and even the worst one (Jason Goes to Hell) has a good re-watch value.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:09 PM   #13323
Pinot Grigio Pinot Grigio is offline
Active Member
 
Apr 2015
94
223
Default

With Friday's twist, I never felt that it was a whodunnit. I thought that the whole point was that the counselors weren't supposed to know Pamela, and that's what it's so tragic. The deaths were the product of a delusional mind, the same mind that Alice succumbs to at the very end.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
I respect what the original film tried to do, and Black Christmas is a solid slasher, but's just not as good as Halloween. It doesn't have the memorable score, as good of camera work, the entertaing characters or a finale that matches up with Halloween. The characters in Black Christmas come off as a bit more sophisticated, but also kind of flat in someways.
See, I think that everything Halloween did, Black Christmas did 10 times better. The score is not a memorable, but that piano slamming (Peter's angry soul emotionally incarnated) creates a scarier film than Carpenter's could ever hope to be. Drunk swearing Barb, Jess and innocent Claire have more dimension than Laurie, Annie, Linda and Loomis. That abortion subplot is huge. The camera work is way stronger in the blurred POV shots, the warped view of the home's interior, the cuts between the children and the unicorn death, and the zoom in to the bodies or weapons. Mrs Mac is also hilarious and shows a better sense of humor than Ghost Bob or Totally. The finales are matched for me. Myers is still 'out there', while Billy is still 'in there'.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:59 PM   #13324
rocknblues81 rocknblues81 is offline
Power Member
 
rocknblues81's Avatar
 
Nov 2009
Georgia
661
455
78
13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinot Grigio View Post

See, I think that everything Halloween did, Black Christmas did 10 times better. The score is not a memorable, but that piano slamming (Peter's angry soul emotionally incarnated) creates a scarier film than Carpenter's could ever hope to be. Drunk swearing Barb, Jess and innocent Claire have more dimension than Laurie, Annie, Linda and Loomis. That abortion subplot is huge. The camera work is way stronger in the blurred POV shots, the warped view of the home's interior, the cuts between the children and the unicorn death, and the zoom in to the bodies or weapons. Mrs Mac is also hilarious and shows a better sense of humor than Ghost Bob or Totally. The finales are matched for me. Myers is still 'out there', while Billy is still 'in there'.
I appreciate what Bob Clark was trying to do, but I just didn't find Jess and her boyfriends issues to be all that interesting. I didn't care about Peter at all. This is probably why I find it to be a good movie, but not a great one. I think Donald and Jamie made the best of their characters. They're not overly deep on paper, but they're more memorable than the characters from Black Christmas. IMO.

Like I said, Clark took a more sophisticated approach that what Carpenter ended up taking, but I felt the abortion subplot was hindrance more than anything. Perhaps that's because I've never given the issue much thought. It kind of just go in the way.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:55 AM   #13325
tylerc904 tylerc904 is offline
Senior Member
 
tylerc904's Avatar
 
Jan 2016
185
1
Default

Black Christmas is the scariest of the bunch. Halloween is my favorite for nostalgia reasons. Friday is the one I watch the most. Not sure how all three statements can be true but that's where I stand.

All three obliterate Nightmare and Texas Chainsaw in my eyes (sacrilege probably).
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
The Great Owl (07-13-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 02:17 AM   #13326
Markgway Markgway is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Markgway's Avatar
 
Jul 2013
Scotland
5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
How did Betsy Palmer manage to throw dead people through windows?
She was pretty butch...
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:01 AM   #13327
bigdaddyhorse bigdaddyhorse is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
bigdaddyhorse's Avatar
 
Oct 2012
SE MI.
777
1146
4
77
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markgway View Post
She was pretty butch...
... and had Savini's strong hands!

You always hear stories of mothers having bursts of exceptional strength when defending or trying to save their children. Guess it works the same way when avenging your child!
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:19 AM   #13328
WilsonBros WilsonBros is offline
Special Member
 
WilsonBros's Avatar
 
Jul 2009
10
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markgway View Post
She was pretty butch...
With a cable-knit top and abilty to heavy lift like that, you expect her to chew dip.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:12 AM   #13329
Markgway Markgway is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Markgway's Avatar
 
Jul 2013
Scotland
5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonBros View Post
With a cable-knit top and abilty to heavy lift like that, you expect her to chew dip.
Is that a euphemism?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:40 AM   #13330
tisdivine tisdivine is offline
Senior Member
 
tisdivine's Avatar
 
Jan 2013
Miami/Brooklyn
758
8
Default

Does anyone know where you can purchase this set for a resonable price? Doesnt have to bebrand new but in pretty good condition.

I've checked all the major places but only found it on Amazon & eBay for $300. Im wanting to get it for my mom's bday (yes they are her fav movies...she says they remind her of the drive-in days lol). I would give $100 maybe a little over.

I know some people on here know borderline secret places that might have it lol

Also why is it oop? Im sure this has been discussed and I apologize since I only skimmed the last few pages.

Thanks.
I support the right to arm bears.

Instant gratification takes too long. - Carrie Fisher

http://www.criterion.com/my_criterio...ine/collection

Last edited by tisdivine; 07-25-2016 at 08:04 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:06 AM   #13331
buck135 buck135 is offline
Power Member
 
Jan 2011
864
113
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tisdivine View Post
Does anyone know where you can purchase this set for a resonable price? Doesnt have to bebrand new but in pretty good condition.

I've checked all the major places but only found it on Amazon & eBay for $300. Im wanting to get it for my mom's bday (yes they are her fav movies...she says they remind her of the drive-in days lol). I would give $100 maybe a little over.

I know some people on here know bosrderline secret places that might have it lol

Also why is it oop? Im sure this has been discussed and I apologize since I only skimmed the last few pages.

Thanks.
It's OOP because Warner had the rights to several hundred Paramount titles for three years. It's possible Paramount will release the same set, but that doesn't help you right now. Unfortunately, this set is difficult to find at a reasonable price. I would try eBay and even Best Buy. It's a long shot, but they may have an unsold copy where you are located. Good luck.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
tisdivine (07-25-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 08:11 AM   #13332
Blu Myers Blu Myers is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Blu Myers's Avatar
 
Sep 2007
Haddonfield, IL
17
522
10
3
88
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinot Grigio View Post
See, I think that everything Halloween did, Black Christmas did 10 times better. The score is not a memorable, but that piano slamming (Peter's angry soul emotionally incarnated) creates a scarier film than Carpenter's could ever hope to be. Drunk swearing Barb, Jess and innocent Claire have more dimension than Laurie, Annie, Linda and Loomis. That abortion subplot is huge. The camera work is way stronger in the blurred POV shots, the warped view of the home's interior, the cuts between the children and the unicorn death, and the zoom in to the bodies or weapons. Mrs Mac is also hilarious and shows a better sense of humor than Ghost Bob or Totally. The finales are matched for me. Myers is still 'out there', while Billy is still 'in there'.
I love both films immensely, but no way is BC 10 times better than Halloween (even thought that's your opinion of course). From a technical standpoint, I think Halloween has the edge. Carpenters chilling direction, Cundey's cinematography, the most iconic horror score to ever grace the silver screen, a memorable killer with no real motivation and the most iconic mask ever...it really is a perfect storm of horror celluloid!

Don't get me wrong though, BC is a masterpiece all its own. Billy is completely insane (and we NEVER see his face, which is awesome), and that organ score is bone chilling. I still watch it every Christmas!

Last edited by Blu Myers; 07-25-2016 at 08:19 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Val Lewton (07-25-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 11:30 AM   #13333
Cujo Cujo is online now
Senior Member
 
Oct 2012
Default

Technical prowess isn't everything. As always, Carpenter is a master of scope framing, but I think Black Christmas blows Halloween away in virtually every other area. Stronger atmosphere and sense of character camaraderie, the rare case of comedy relief (all the police station bits) that doesn't detract from the dread and a killer who is monstrous in his psychosis, but still cognizant enough to keep the upper hand. The fact that we never fully see him or learn his identity makes it infinitely more effective, and the phone calls are positively nightmarish (the opening of When a Stranger Calls is a joke in comparison). The kills scenes possess far more power; the raw animalism of Clare's asphyxiation, the stunningly edited unicorn stabbing sequence. Also, little moments that add so much, like the unsettling repeat of the wart line and, during the search for the girl in the park, the reactions of the characters that just perfectly convey the gravity of the situation. I'm also one of the few who greatly prefers the Black Christmas score to that of Halloween. Pure dread in and of itself.
BD Wants: Burned at the Stake (81) The Hitcher (86) The Rapture (91) Mirage (90) Dear Dead Delilah (72) Eyes of Fire (83) Psychout for Murder (69) The Corruption of Chris Miller (73) Further than Fear (80) Damned in Venice (78) The Night God Screamed (1971) Scream for Help (84) Black Rainbow (89) Edge of the Axe (88) Endangered Species (82) Bell from Hell (73) Whodunit (82) Blacker than the Night (75) Innocent Prey (84) The Ghost Dance (80) House of Death (82) Cursed (90) Shadow of Chikara (77)
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Pinot Grigio (07-26-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 12:20 PM   #13334
Cortiz Cortiz is online now
Power Member
 
Cortiz's Avatar
 
Jun 2007
Sunshine State
301
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck135 View Post
It's OOP because Warner had the rights to several hundred Paramount titles for three years. It's possible Paramount will release the same set, but that doesn't help you right now. Unfortunately, this set is difficult to find at a reasonable price. I would try eBay and even Best Buy. It's a long shot, but they may have an unsold copy where you are located. Good luck.
Paramount doesn't own the rights to JGH, Jason X, Freddy vs Jason and Fiday the 13th (2009). So unless they get the rights for these from Warner, which I think is highly unlikely, they won't be re-releasing this set.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Xen11 (09-09-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 03:27 PM   #13335
StingingVelvet StingingVelvet is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
StingingVelvet's Avatar
 
Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA
1403
255
53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck135 View Post
It's OOP because Warner had the rights to several hundred Paramount titles for three years. It's possible Paramount will release the same set, but that doesn't help you right now. Unfortunately, this set is difficult to find at a reasonable price. I would try eBay and even Best Buy. It's a long shot, but they may have an unsold copy where you are located. Good luck.
I'd check FYE and used stores as well, those are usually good places to go to find recently OOP releases before others snag them. FYE carried the 2-packs of the first 8 movies as well I believe.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:32 AM   #13336
Blu Myers Blu Myers is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Blu Myers's Avatar
 
Sep 2007
Haddonfield, IL
17
522
10
3
88
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo View Post
Technical prowess isn't everything. As always, Carpenter is a master of scope framing, but I think Black Christmas blows Halloween away in virtually every other area. Stronger atmosphere and sense of character camaraderie, the rare case of comedy relief (all the police station bits) that doesn't detract from the dread and a killer who is monstrous in his psychosis, but still cognizant enough to keep the upper hand. The fact that we never fully see him or learn his identity makes it infinitely more effective, and the phone calls are positively nightmarish (the opening of When a Stranger Calls is a joke in comparison). The kills scenes possess far more power; the raw animalism of Clare's asphyxiation, the stunningly edited unicorn stabbing sequence. Also, little moments that add so much, like the unsettling repeat of the wart line and, during the search for the girl in the park, the reactions of the characters that just perfectly convey the gravity of the situation. I'm also one of the few who greatly prefers the Black Christmas score to that of Halloween. Pure dread in and of itself.
You make some good points but to me the comedy sometimes falls flat for BC...like the old lady...couldn't stand her. Also the cop humor was pretty bad too. It makes the movie a tad uneven. But what it lacks in comedy, it more than makes up for in atmosphere.

Both are 5/5 movies, so I'm really just splitting hairs. They really are 2 of the most important films ever made in my mind. And it's nice that they're not really that much alike from a technical standpoint. 2 different types of beauty if you ask me.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
AKORIS (07-26-2016), Cujo (07-26-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 02:12 AM   #13337
Cujo Cujo is online now
Senior Member
 
Oct 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Myers View Post
You make some good points but to me the comedy sometimes falls flat for BC...like the old lady...couldn't stand her. Also the cop humor was pretty bad too. It makes the movie a tad uneven. But what it lacks in comedy, it more than makes up for in atmosphere.

Both are 5/5 movies, so I'm really just splitting hairs. They really are 2 of the most important films ever made in my mind. And it's nice that they're not really that much alike from a technical standpoint. 2 different types of beauty if you ask me.

I will agree about Mrs. Mac. She is pretty annoying. I do get a kick out of the cop stuff, though, in part due to Saxon and the other desk cop selling it so well.

Another thing Halloween does have in it's favor. Loomis is a powerhouse.
BD Wants: Burned at the Stake (81) The Hitcher (86) The Rapture (91) Mirage (90) Dear Dead Delilah (72) Eyes of Fire (83) Psychout for Murder (69) The Corruption of Chris Miller (73) Further than Fear (80) Damned in Venice (78) The Night God Screamed (1971) Scream for Help (84) Black Rainbow (89) Edge of the Axe (88) Endangered Species (82) Bell from Hell (73) Whodunit (82) Blacker than the Night (75) Innocent Prey (84) The Ghost Dance (80) House of Death (82) Cursed (90) Shadow of Chikara (77)
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Blu Myers (07-26-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 02:23 AM   #13338
Pinot Grigio Pinot Grigio is offline
Active Member
 
Apr 2015
94
223
Default

I love Mrs Mac! "B is for Booze." "Come on Claude you little prick!"
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:34 AM   #13339
AKORIS AKORIS is online now
Blu-ray Champion
 
AKORIS's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
Beautiful Pacific Northwest
2245
217
18
Default

I'm not really adding anything that hasn't already been said but I think BLACK CHRISTMAS and HALLOWEEN are outstanding, iconic films of their type-- both terrific entertainments that can be watched over and over again without losing anything.

I'm so hoping that the new version's PQ..... is just a little bit better??
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:34 AM   #13340
Donl1282 Donl1282 is offline
Expert Member
 
Oct 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortiz View Post
Paramount doesn't own the rights to JGH, Jason X, Freddy vs Jason and Fiday the 13th (2009). So unless they get the rights for these from Warner, which I think is highly unlikely, they won't be re-releasing this set.
I thought I was crazy and stupid to buy the double packs last year even though I already own the set with the exact same discs. I guess it wasn't crazy to buy the double packs after all
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:32 PM.