Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Westworld: Season One 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.96

Kingsman: The Secret Service 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96
6 hrs ago
National Parks Adventure 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96
3 hrs ago
Jurassic Park Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$49.96

Ready Player One 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Dream Big: Engineering Our World 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

X-Men: Apocalypse 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

A Few Good Men 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Pacific Rim: Uprising 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

X-Men: Days of Future Past 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

The Incredible Hulk 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96

Dunkirk 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.50

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Old 12-08-2017, 05:11 PM   #21

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Bang View Post
Ok I resolved MY issue which has possibly nothing to do with your own. My issue was with SDR, not HDR. I don't know if there was a bug or what not, but in SDR the colors were overbright (which made HDR look pale in comparison). I think the color space wasn't setting itself correctly despite being set to "AUTO" (in video option/color space). It's like if it was stuck on that BT.2020 setting. I was playing Arkham City and the reds were ridiculously bright (ie: batman had lipstick). When playing uncharted and turning off HDR (in game), everything would become very reddish and saturated outdoors.

Now for the fix, which I'm not sure because I did lots of things: I first unplugged from HDMI 2 and tried HDMI 3. When I first plugged it in, it looked like the colors were still saturated (using 2160p -RGB). I then turned off that LIVE COLOR setting and the colors were ok. But this is where it gets weird: when I played with LIVE COLOR again, the colors got a bit brighter but not saturated as it was before.

So now, when I start battlefront 2, the splash screen no longer goes oversaturated to normal HDR colors. HDR IS slightly more muted, but it looks way better than SDR overall. When I flipped HDR ON/OFF in Uncharted, the colors now remains mostly the same. It'S more the lighting that changes and becomes more natural in HDR

Lastly I plugged it back to HDMI 2, turned off LIVE COLOR and didn't have any problems anymore.

Bottom line: I don't know if there was a bug in the live color feature, or if simply the unplugging/replugging that fixed everything.
Many thanks to Freddy Bang! I tried his solution and it led me to the answer. Here's the problem in a nutshell:

I mistakenly had the HDR on the TV in the "HDR 10" selection, instead of "Auto". So, I did the hard reset FIRST, replaced the cables with new ones that were 4kHDR certified, then I realized what was REALLY going on: The reason why HDR looked pale was because the SDR mode was so blown out color-wise that it didn't compare. I was mistaking the blown-out colors of the SDR mode for actual HDR, and vice-versa.

Once I turned HDR on the tv to "auto", I went back and adjusted brightness, colors, etc according the Rtings.com's "Sony 900e Settings" video:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...3LJUillN37i2Gw

and......voila! The TV looks magnificent. Once you see true, correct HDR, you realize how much blown-out color SDR looks terrible and has less detail. So, once again, thanks to all of you for your help! Have a Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, and all that good stuff!

Last edited by Bladerunner5375; 12-08-2017 at 05:14 PM. Reason: accidentally hit enter before finishing.
Thanks given by:
Bodyslide (12-08-2017), gkolb (12-09-2017)
Old 12-09-2017, 04:00 AM   #22

Jun 2009

So like me sdr was the problem!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology