Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Westworld: Season One 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.96
 
National Parks Adventure 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96
 
Jurassic Park Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$49.96
 
Ready Player One 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Kingsman: The Secret Service 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96
 
A Few Good Men 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Dream Big: Engineering Our World 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96
 
The Purge 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.64
15 min ago
Pacific Rim: Uprising 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96
 
Peter Rabbit 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.96
 
The Incredible Hulk 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96
 
X-Men: Days of Future Past 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2017, 09:24 AM   #4661
oddbox83 oddbox83 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
oddbox83's Avatar
 
Sep 2013
UK
Default

The only downside to this player seems to be a very sensitive laser, causing many to have issues with BD100s etc. I hope it's something they can address in a future firmware upgrade. Maybe it just needs some more robust error protection code if there's no issue with the build quality itself.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:20 PM   #4662
rbg08 rbg08 is offline
Special Member
 
rbg08's Avatar
 
Oct 2011
24
447
39
227
210
246
13
Default

I've had zero issues playing over 60 UHD discs on my 203, at least several of which were BD100 discs. Guess it may be luck of the draw, or possibly OPPO is sourcing drives from multiple manufacturers.
4K Setup: LG OLED55C6P, Marantz SR7011, OPPO UDP-203, Xbox One S, Apple TV 4K, Roku Ultra
My Blu-ray Collection & 2018 purchases
UV codes for sale
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:30 PM   #4663
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
Illinois
3463
3651
3
Default

I was able to play 3 UHD discs without problems. If luck is involved then I am in trouble; I have the luck of the damned. I'm not off to a very good start.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:18 PM   #4664
Geoff D Geoff D is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Geoff D's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland
1341
4
5
10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbg08 View Post
I've had zero issues playing over 60 UHD discs on my 203, at least several of which were BD100 discs. Guess it may be luck of the draw, or possibly OPPO is sourcing drives from multiple manufacturers.
I haven't had my OPPO for long but I've had three 100GB Discs freeze in succession, albeit on an earlier firmware. After updating and making sure that each subsequent triple decker disc was freakin' spotless I haven't had any issues since.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
oddbox83 (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 07:03 PM   #4665
oddbox83 oddbox83 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
oddbox83's Avatar
 
Sep 2013
UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
I haven't had my OPPO for long but I've had three 100GB Discs freeze in succession, albeit on an earlier firmware. After updating and making sure that each subsequent triple decker disc was freakin' spotless I haven't had any issues since.
Fingers crossed for you.

I haven't personally had any issues and I haven't had the player long, so maybe it's already fixed in the latest firmware releases.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 07:56 PM   #4666
JohnAV JohnAV is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester
613
182
30
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
The only downside to this player seems to be a very sensitive laser, causing many to have issues with BD100s etc. I hope it's something they can address in a future firmware upgrade. Maybe it just needs some more robust error protection code if there's no issue with the build quality itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
I haven't personally had any issues and I haven't had the player long, so maybe it's already fixed in the latest firmware releases.
Seems like you like to stir the pot.

You do indeed have manufacturing or batch problems on rare occasions with some UHD media releases. It was a lot more evident early on, the distributors QA was lacking some times. It happens.

If a simple inspection and wipe of the media doesn't remedy the issue, check in the related thread for that title/media type for other blu-ray.com member playback observations.

Since they are continually yanking our chains with DRM with excessive branching it can cause playback issues. These could be observations of audio or video drop outs, where people say it skips or pauses.

The player has been out a year today, a lot of improvement has occurred against error checking with a lot of media. Still you need to periodally update FW for disc compatibility.

If you encounter some issues sound off so we can help.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:04 PM   #4667
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
Illinois
3463
3651
3
Default

I was able to exchange my copy of Blade Runner The Final Cut 4K and I will give it another try tonight. I am beyond surprised that the tiny Best Buy near me had copies in store, especially when their website said they had none. Keeping my fingers crossed until then.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:09 PM   #4668
JohnAV JohnAV is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester
613
182
30
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I was able to exchange my copy of Blade Runner The Final Cut 4K and I will give it another try tonight. I am beyond surprised that the tiny Best Buy near me had copies in store, especially when their website said they had none. Keeping my fingers crossed until then.
If they had less then 3 copies they can show none. Hope that copy works.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:58 PM   #4669
Wingman1977 Wingman1977 is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Wingman1977's Avatar
 
Mar 2008
The empire state
746
22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I was able to exchange my copy of Blade Runner The Final Cut 4K and I will give it another try tonight. I am beyond surprised that the tiny Best Buy near me had copies in store, especially when their website said they had none. Keeping my fingers crossed until then.
Ever since BB combined the Blu-ray & DVD titles, things have been wonky with them (it has gotten better but no where near as good as when they had the BD & DVD titles separated).
Display: LG OLED55C7P (pro calibrated by Kevin Miller)
blu-Ray player: OPPO UDP-203
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR656
Center: Polk CS180
Front: Polk T15 (X2)
Surround: Polk T15 (X2)
Rear: Polk T15 (X2)
Subwoofer: Polk PSW10
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:40 PM   #4670
LordoftheRings LordoftheRings is offline
Special Member
 
LordoftheRings's Avatar
 
Mar 2010
Portishead ♫
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
The player has been out a year today, a lot of improvement has occurred against error checking with a lot of media. Still you need to periodally update FW for disc compatibility.
You are right John, exactly a year today. Happy 1-year anniversary Oppo 203!
And you are correct too; many firmware updates during that course have improved that player considerably. Chapeau Oppo! ...And to team Pariseau.
~ Bob
You may not: Restrict or inhibit any other user from using and enjoying the Web Sites.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:38 AM   #4671
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
Illinois
3463
3651
3
Default

My new copy of Blade Runner The Final Cut played all the way through without any issues. Happiness has been restored.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:45 AM   #4672
LordoftheRings LordoftheRings is offline
Special Member
 
LordoftheRings's Avatar
 
Mar 2010
Portishead ♫
Default

Cool.
~ Bob
You may not: Restrict or inhibit any other user from using and enjoying the Web Sites.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:44 AM   #4673
oddbox83 oddbox83 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
oddbox83's Avatar
 
Sep 2013
UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Seems like you like to stir the pot.
Not at all. I love the player but have taken comments about issues from respected members here seriously and wondered out loud if Oppo could fix it. It seems they may already have.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 05:18 PM   #4674
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
Illinois
3463
3651
3
Default

Shortly after my first copy of Blade Runner failed to play properly, I decided to email Oppo directly about my problem to see what, if any, advice they would offer.

They responded to me within a matter of HOURS. That in itself surprised me. While their suggestions did not get my clearly defective disc to work, Oppo remained interested in my dilemma. They wanted to know if my replacement disc worked and when I told them it did, they wrote me a third time just to tell me they were glad.

I am extremely impressed by Oppo's customer service. I can not imagine that any of the electronic giants that manufacture 4K disc players would have shown any where near this much concern for my problem, yet alone respond within hours and continue to follow-up with me. Oppo makes a fantastic player and they provide first class service. I can not remember the last time I praised the customer service of an electronics manufacturer.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Anon1967 (12-14-2017), chad_1138 (12-13-2017), JohnAV (12-13-2017), jvonl (12-14-2017), solarrdadd (12-13-2017), stigdu (12-14-2017), Wendell R. Breland (12-14-2017), Wingman1977 (12-13-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 06:08 PM   #4675
Jbug Jbug is offline
Power Member
 
Jul 2010
11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Shortly after my first copy of Blade Runner failed to play properly, I decided to email Oppo directly about my problem to see what, if any, advice they would offer.

They responded to me within a matter of HOURS. That in itself surprised me. While their suggestions did not get my clearly defective disc to work, Oppo remained interested in my dilemma. They wanted to know if my replacement disc worked and when I told them it did, they wrote me a third time just to tell me they were glad.

I am extremely impressed by Oppo's customer service. I can not imagine that any of the electronic giants that manufacture 4K disc players would have shown any where near this much concern for my problem, yet alone respond within hours and continue to follow-up with me. Oppo makes a fantastic player and they provide first class service. I can not remember the last time I praised the customer service of an electronics manufacturer.
Agree completely. Hsu Research is like that also. I use to call and Dr. Hsu would sometimes answer the phone.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:13 PM   #4676
RageATL RageATL is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
RageATL's Avatar
 
May 2010
The Great Indoors
1
296
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbug View Post
Agree completely. Hsu Research is like that also. I use to call and Dr. Hsu would sometimes answer the phone.
Same with Odyssey Amps and Klaus Bunge.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Brandon B (12-14-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 06:31 PM   #4677
chad_1138 chad_1138 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
chad_1138's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
USA
1093
65
459
144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Shortly after my first copy of Blade Runner failed to play properly, I decided to email Oppo directly about my problem to see what, if any, advice they would offer.

They responded to me within a matter of HOURS. That in itself surprised me. While their suggestions did not get my clearly defective disc to work, Oppo remained interested in my dilemma. They wanted to know if my replacement disc worked and when I told them it did, they wrote me a third time just to tell me they were glad.

I am extremely impressed by Oppo's customer service. I can not imagine that any of the electronic giants that manufacture 4K disc players would have shown any where near this much concern for my problem, yet alone respond within hours and continue to follow-up with me. Oppo makes a fantastic player and they provide first class service. I can not remember the last time I praised the customer service of an electronics manufacturer.
And this, among many other reasons, is precisely why I have zero issues dropping $500+ for a player made by Oppo.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Caleb C. (12-13-2017), gkolb (12-14-2017), JohnAV (12-13-2017), jvonl (12-14-2017), RageATL (12-13-2017), Vilya (12-13-2017), Wingman1977 (12-13-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 11:50 PM   #4678
Wingman1977 Wingman1977 is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Wingman1977's Avatar
 
Mar 2008
The empire state
746
22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad_1138 View Post
And this, among many other reasons, is precisely why I have zero issues dropping $500+ for a player made by Oppo.
Display: LG OLED55C7P (pro calibrated by Kevin Miller)
blu-Ray player: OPPO UDP-203
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR656
Center: Polk CS180
Front: Polk T15 (X2)
Surround: Polk T15 (X2)
Rear: Polk T15 (X2)
Subwoofer: Polk PSW10
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
chad_1138 (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 02:50 AM   #4679
Ferrari Fan Ferrari Fan is offline
Senior Member
 
Ferrari Fan's Avatar
 
Jun 2008
San Diego, CA.
1
49
Default

FYI, as of this moment, Oppo has some refurbished 203's available. I just picked one up. Savings of $110.00 over a brand spanking new unit. I bought a 103D (Darby edition) refurbished and it looked brand spanking new when I got it plus new everything including the bag and box. The 103D has preformed flawlessly by the way.

So, if you're on the fence about the 203, and want to save a few $$$, go there now, as I'm sure they'll be gone very, very quickly.

http://oppodigital.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ZUDP203
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
AVfile (12-16-2017), Gogoplata1980 (12-14-2017), Pgcmoore (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 03:10 PM   #4680
Wingman1977 Wingman1977 is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Wingman1977's Avatar
 
Mar 2008
The empire state
746
22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari Fan View Post
FYI, as of this moment, Oppo has some refurbished 203's available. I just picked one up. Savings of $110.00 over a brand spanking new unit. I bought a 103D (Darby edition) refurbished and it looked brand spanking new when I got it plus new everything including the bag and box. The 103D has preformed flawlessly by the way.

So, if you're on the fence about the 203, and want to save a few $$$, go there now, as I'm sure they'll be gone very, very quickly.

http://oppodigital.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ZUDP203
Display: LG OLED55C7P (pro calibrated by Kevin Miller)
blu-Ray player: OPPO UDP-203
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR656
Center: Polk CS180
Front: Polk T15 (X2)
Surround: Polk T15 (X2)
Rear: Polk T15 (X2)
Subwoofer: Polk PSW10
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
RageATL (12-14-2017)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:17 AM.