Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Saving Private Ryan 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Westworld: Season One 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.96

Spider-Man: Homecoming 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
6 hrs ago
Darkest Hour 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.96

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96

Jurassic Park Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$49.96

Ready Player One 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

National Parks Adventure 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

Kingsman: The Secret Service 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

A Few Good Men 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Pacific Rim: Uprising 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

X-Men: Apocalypse 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Old 12-11-2017, 02:04 PM   #1981

Nov 2017
Buenos Aires

Hy everyone:

In BF i bought this player in Amazon because i wanted a more futureproof player than the others mainstream players like the Sony X800 and the Samsungs. I didnt considered the Oppo because its too much money for me. Remember Im from Argentina and the final cost with the shipping and taxes is way too expensive.
So I bought this and this last 3 days I tested it.
In my case I confirm that there is no noise coming from the device. If there were problems in the past with the tray they are fixed.
The PQ is great. I played Lucy, Transformers: The Last Knight and the Fifth Element and they played flawleesly and without any problem. Loading times are very good for me. I thought they were going to be awful but its pretty nice.
The negatives I found are that the youtube app has the same problem as the B7 Oled i have. The colors are washed out.
And of course the Dolby Vision update you are all waiting for.
If anyone asks for me, its a good player.
I would like to ask one thing...wich is best for output: RGB or YCBCR?
Thanks a lot.
TV: LG Oled B7P 55
PJ: Optoma HD26
4K Player: LG UP970
HT: Denon AVR-X1300W
Speakers: Polk Audio RTI & CSI series
Console: Sony PS4
Old 12-11-2017, 02:58 PM   #1982
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by radamanthysgt85 View Post
i would like to ask one thing...wich is best for output: Rgb or ycbcr?
Thanks a lot.
ycbcr
"What is seen cannot be unseen. What is known cannot be unknown. Once the grey black bars are seen they cannot be unseen! "
Thanks given by:
Radamanthysgt85 (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 03:09 PM   #1983
Expert Member

Mar 2017
California

At UP970 settings try different output Hz for YouTube HDR.
60Hz works good in USA.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:32 PM   #1984

Nov 2017
Buenos Aires

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyIII View Post
ycbcr
Thanks. Its the output i have. So I leave it this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E6AtmosVuduDV View Post
At UP970 settings try different output Hz for YouTube HDR.
60Hz works good in USA.
I tried setting 24 or 60. Its the same, colors are washed out even trying the different HDR settings from the Oled( vivid, technicolor, ISF, videogame). If I download the same video and try it trough the USB in the TV the colors are fine.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:37 PM   #1985
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radamanthysgt85 View Post
Thanks. Its the output i have. So I leave it this way.

I tried setting 24 or 60. Its the same, colors are washed out even trying the different HDR settings from the Oled( vivid, technicolor, ISF, videogame). If I download the same video and try it trough the USB in the TV the colors are fine.
Make sure Black Level is set to Low on your TV, not High
"What is seen cannot be unseen. What is known cannot be unknown. Once the grey black bars are seen they cannot be unseen! "
Thanks given by:
Radamanthysgt85 (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 03:54 PM   #1986

Nov 2017
Buenos Aires

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyIII View Post
Make sure Black Level is set to Low on your TV, not High
Its set to low, colour to wide and the HDMI Ultra Deep Colour if I remember well activated.
If you see this video of Vincent Theo youll see what Im talking about: minute 14:29

Old 12-11-2017, 07:05 PM   #1987
Expert Member

Mar 2017
California

Vicient Toeh in your video saids LG Electronics is really good in listening to user discussions. Gather the next FW will bring correction enhancements.

*****!!!!!!*****
OK. THEN LG.
The LG UP970 needs the Dolby Vision VUDU app with Atmos feature. Sending out Atmos from the UP970 HDMI-Out port. For 2016, 2015 LG OLEDs Vudu App can only output digital optical output which is Dolby 5.1. That App can't even process Dolby Digital 5.1 Plus. Just Ancient Dolby Digital 5.1.

This would be Major.

Last edited by E6AtmosVuduDV; 12-11-2017 at 07:09 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:48 PM   #1988

Nov 2017
Buenos Aires

Quote:
Vicient Toeh in your video saids LG Electronics is really good in listening to user discussions. Gather the next FW will bring correction enhancements.

*****!!!!!!*****
OK. THEN LG.
The LG UP970 needs the Dolby Vision VUDU app with Atmos feature. Sending out Atmos from the UP970 HDMI-Out port. For 2016, 2015 LG OLEDs Vudu App can only output digital optical output which is Dolby 5.1. That App can't even process Dolby Digital 5.1 Plus. Just Ancient Dolby Digital 5.1.

This would be Major.
Perfect. I dont doubt in Vincents words but actually the problem is there. I hope that the issues will be solved in a next firmware such as the DolBy Vision activation in this players.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:02 PM   #1989

Apr 2011
Default Is it worth it?

Im still trying to decide on a player, at this point is it even worth this player with all the sound issues? Has anyone confirmed that it WILL get the updated for Dolby Vision again? Im going over to Best Buy today to see what version of the players they have, but it sounds like even the brand new ones still need serviced?

Im considering just going with the Sony UBP-X800, but Im not sure how much the Dolby Vision would be an improvement in quality over the Sony (assuming it eventually works on the LG)? I want to get the player before Christmas since I just got the HDR tv, so waiting for the new model is not a choice for me. I dont want to deal with getting fixed, etc, especially if the difference is going to be pretty negligible. However, Im not the person thats going to buy a new one later when they are better either, so Id likely have what I choose until it breaks.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:18 PM   #1990

Apr 2012

I was done with this UP970 waiting a ghost DV firmware. I bought a Region free OPPO 203 on eBay. Very happy on my LG G6V.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:57 AM   #1991
Expert Member

Mar 2017
California

Scifivision

Biggest Biggest Biggest mistake is not have Dolby Vision or HDR10+ in year 2018.

Least check out VUDU.Com App streaming service. Cost nothing to join. They have 140 Dolby Vision movies. Many of them DV Atmos movies can be gotten free by code redeem from your 4K UHD Disc. Vudu DV works great with Ethernet 23 Mbps. There are 29 DV disc movies now.

X800 has Vudu App only for 1080p. No 4K. No HDR10. No DV.

Up970 replacement plan for 4 years only cost appx $35.
If up970 noisy swap replace it out at BB. IF noisy when 2018 new DV models come out then replace it with that with your 4 yr Geek protection plan.

Otherwise Buy OPPO 203 for immediate DV.

Do you have just HDR TV? Or Is it DV Capable also?
DV PQ on UP970 will blow you away. Its that good on an LG OLED.

Up970 have HDR Netflix. HDR Youtube. For now. But we patiently await VUDU App with HDR10. DV, Atmos.

Last edited by E6AtmosVuduDV; 12-13-2017 at 02:06 AM. Reason: Finishing
Old 12-13-2017, 05:57 AM   #1992
Expert Member

Feb 2012
West Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifivision View Post
I’m still trying to decide on a player, at this point is it even worth this player with all the sound issues? Has anyone confirmed that it WILL get the updated for Dolby Vision again? I’m going over to Best Buy today to see what version of the players they have, but it sounds like even the brand new ones still need serviced?

I’m considering just going with the Sony UBP-X800, but I’m not sure how much the Dolby Vision would be an improvement in quality over the Sony (assuming it eventually works on the LG)? I want to get the player before Christmas since I just got the HDR tv, so waiting for the new model is not a choice for me. I don’t want to deal with getting fixed, etc, especially if the difference is going to be pretty negligible. However, I’m not the person that’s going to buy a new one later when they are better either, so I’d likely have what I choose until it breaks.
At this current time, I would not get this player. Dolby Vision isn’t worth the noisiest UHD player you can think of. I’m getting a refund on mine because of how noisy the disc drive is.
Help me make the music of the night

My setup:

TV - Sony X900E
Blu-Ray Player: Samsung K8500
Sound system: Yamaha YSP-2500
Games console: Playstation 4 Pro
Old 12-13-2017, 06:20 AM   #1993
Expert Member

Mar 2017
California

We need to ascertain how many UP970s have been sold world-wide. And of those how many units are noisy.

Say If we observe thru Forums some two dozen posters reporting noise. And many of those two dozen does Repeated post on one forum as well as report noise on various forums... Do we consider that representitive in all UP970s sold?

Best Buy reviews from verified purchase'r shows about 7% are noisy. And much those are earlier built dates. Best Buy has $44 Billion sales. 2000 stores. So they sold a lot of up970s. I for one brought at Best Buy. I have 4 years protection from the Geek. So whats the Risk here?

I played 10 DV Disc so far. My UP970 does good.
By the time my 4 years replacement protection plan expires...
Whole New Technology for Disc Players will be out.

The way I look at it is-

How Often do a Seagull Lay One on one's car? It Depends!
For the UP970 it could be the same.

Im certainly not going to keep my car all the time in my garage just because some have had the SeaGull Misfortune

Last edited by E6AtmosVuduDV; 12-13-2017 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Finishing
Old 12-13-2017, 07:57 AM   #1994
Expert Member

Feb 2012
West Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Quote:
We need to ascertain how many UP970s have been sold world-wide. And of those how many units are noisy.

Say If we observe thru Forums some two dozen posters reporting noise. And many of those two dozen does Repeated post on one forum as well as report noise on various forums... Do we consider that representitive in all UP970s sold?

Best Buy reviews from verified purchase'r shows about 7% are noisy. And much those are earlier built dates. Best Buy has $44 Billion sales. 2000 stores. So they sold a lot of up970s. I for one brought at Best Buy. I have 4 years protection from the Geek. So whats the Risk here?

I played 10 DV Disc so far. My UP970 does good.
By the time my 4 years replacement protection plan expires...
Whole New Technology for Disc Players will be out.

The way I look at it is-

How Often do a Seagull Lay One on one's car? It Depends!
For the UP970 it could be the same.

Im certainly not going to keep my car all the time in my garage just because some have had the SeaGull Misfortune
How many times must I tell you that Best Buy Customer Reviews aren't a good way of measuring how many units are noisy? That's only a niche part of the total market. It doesn't matter how much money Best Buy makes in a year. That does not directly translate to UP970 sales.

It's a common fault widely reported on social media, forums and youtube. Yes it's not a perfect source, but it shows a wider source than customer reviews from one retailer.

There is a sizeable amount of noisy units. Enough that it should be mentioned when people are considering buying it.
Help me make the music of the night

My setup:

TV - Sony X900E
Blu-Ray Player: Samsung K8500
Sound system: Yamaha YSP-2500
Games console: Playstation 4 Pro
Thanks given by:
toon64 (12-13-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 09:57 AM   #1995

Dec 2017

I've signed up just to comment. I picked up an LG UP970 when the DV update was released, but by the time it arrived the update had been withdrawn.

I decided to keep it anyway and wait, but the drive noise was ridiculous on the unit. I tried a few films and in the end decided to send it back. The replacement I received was just as bad, so I sent it back and requested a refund.

I've kept an eye on this forum just to see if the DV update does reappear, and to see if anyone managed to get the noise issue fixed through LG. If the DV update reappears I'll have to decide if it is worth the risk of picking up another model of the player.

Aside from the drive noise there's a lot else standing against this player: the build quality is awful, the interface is clunky, there are fiddly technical issues (not being able to disable CEC easily was annoying), in the limited amount of time I used it it had issues searching through chapters.

It does have one thing going for it though: Price.

I've debated the Oppo 203 but here in the UK it goes for 650 ($860ish?) and is pretty much never on offer.

I suspect I'll end up waiting to see what 2018 brings.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:36 AM   #1996
Expert Member

Mar 2017
California

What 2018 Brings?

I would think Likely DV, (new HDR10+) Players costing $299 to 399. When they hit the stores in May, June.

Best Buy 4 year replacenent plans would cost more than the now $30-35($80 at the high unit cost). I would Love It if my up970 breaks. Just Absolutely Love It! Please Please Break for 2018.

CES 2018 is Jan 9th.

Mr. G my unit been really good to me. It would be for me INCREDIBLY SAD without one. Up970 1080p, 4K, HDR10, DV, 3D picture quality is Magnificiently Stunning viewed from a OLED.

Everything I do with my up970 remote been great(Do you FW updates). Responce from it been very functional and nicely quick.

CEC fix in future FW? Or one can buy an CEC Disable HDMI Adapter or cable now. Myself I don't use CEC or ARC so no problem.

Bet we see UP970 Nov, Dec built date by Xmas or before end of year for $149 again.

Last edited by E6AtmosVuduDV; 12-13-2017 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Finishing. Edit
Old 12-13-2017, 05:48 PM   #1997
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottyaboutpotter1 View Post
How many times must I tell you that Best Buy Customer Reviews aren't a good way of measuring how many units are noisy? That's only a niche part of the total market. It doesn't matter how much money Best Buy makes in a year. That does not directly translate to UP970 sales.

It's a common fault widely reported on social media, forums and youtube. Yes it's not a perfect source, but it shows a wider source than customer reviews from one retailer.

There is a sizeable amount of noisy units. Enough that it should be mentioned when people are considering buying it.
The fact that LG has a service bulletin out there and allowing easy exchanges with no questions shows they messed up. At least they are attempting to make it easier for consumers to get satisfaction finally, never mind the August yanked FW.

Examples:
  • Update on my repair- The owner of the repair shop did an investigation and just received a bulletin/ memo or whatever that this is a known issue for this model and some others he mentioned. Having to do with the speed of the spinning disc for 4k and the player not having the proper reinforcement in place.
  • Update: I talked to LG and they said it was less expensive for them to exchange the player then repair it. Told me to show up at Best Buy and ask for an exchange, even if I'm outside the 30-day window.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:09 PM   #1998
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009
Tejas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
The fact that LG has a service bulletin out there and allowing easy exchanges with no questions shows they messed up. At least they are attempting to make it easier for consumers to get satisfaction finally, never mind the August yanked FW.

Examples:
  • Update on my repair- The owner of the repair shop did an investigation and just received a bulletin/ memo or whatever that this is a known issue for this model and some others he mentioned. Having to do with the speed of the spinning disc for 4k and the player not having the proper reinforcement in place.
  • Update: I talked to LG and they said it was less expensive for them to exchange the player then repair it. Told me to show up at Best Buy and ask for an exchange, even if I'm outside the 30-day window.
Wonder if all stores got the memo (looking at you, Fys). I tried this a couple of months ago but no luck.

Did they specify which month should be fixed? I have September 17, and its not perfect. If October or November are better would love to get a newer one at Frys. I bought mine in July but got that replaced a month ago
Old 12-13-2017, 06:32 PM   #1999
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick22 View Post
Wonder if all stores got the memo (looking at you, Fys). I tried this a couple of months ago but no luck.

Did they specify which month should be “fixed”? I have September 17, and it’s not perfect. If October or November are better would love to get a newer one at Frys. I bought mine in July but got that replaced a month ago
I would ask LG whether they can OK that with Frys given your situation. Also the manufacturing date should have no bearing on unit quality. I know E6AtmosVuduDV likes to continually mention build dates, but any tech support for a product is applicable to the model not the build date.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:15 PM   #2000
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009
Tejas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
I would ask LG whether they can OK that with Frys given your situation. Also the manufacturing date should have no bearing on unit quality. I know E6AtmosVuduDV likes to continually mention build dates, but any tech support for a product is applicable to the model not the build date.
If build date doesnt matter arent customers likely to exchange it for another one that is still noisy? If its a design flaw I think they should just recall it and let people get refunds. Whats the point of exchanging for the same thing? I like the fact LG is doing that for people, but how many times will they let you exchange?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology