Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Westworld: Season One 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.96

National Parks Adventure 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

Jurassic Park Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$49.96

Ready Player One 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Kingsman: The Secret Service 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

A Few Good Men 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Dream Big: Engineering Our World 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

Pacific Rim: Uprising 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

Peter Rabbit 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.96

The Incredible Hulk 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96

X-Men: Days of Future Past 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Dunkirk 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.50

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Old 04-13-2017, 07:54 PM   #21
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008
NC

The new remote looks like a huge improvement over the piece of crap that came with the 8500.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:45 PM   #22
Power Member

Dec 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema View Post
The new remote looks like a huge improvement over the piece of crap that came with the 8500.
Yeah the 8500 remote is very bad design so no wonder it is better hah. But still have to say I'm otherwise still amazed on the 1st generation player quality that also raises the bar for the 2nd gen players.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:02 PM   #23

Nov 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by d514 View Post
@6:05
Not a real display?
"At least this year, you get an LCD display."
Thanks given by:
atopos (04-18-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 08:57 PM   #24

Nov 2016

Amazon now lists it:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-UBD-M9500-ZA-titanium/dp/B06Y1NPMCS

It states "Date First Available April 4, 2017", but I'm pretty sure they didn't have it listed that long ago. It isn't eligible for Amazon Prime.

"Get it as soon as April 20 - 24 when you choose Standard Shipping"

No other shipping is available, such as overnight or 2-day. So they don't have it yet and I wouldn't bet money on them delivering it in that time frame.

That's okay, I can wait. I'd also like to see the price get better.

Speck
Old 04-18-2017, 11:24 PM   #25

Nov 2016

Okay, now it seems that it's in stock. I can drive to a Bestbuy a few minutes from the house and pick one up today, according to their web site.

How long do you think we'll have to wait for them to drop in price?
Old 04-19-2017, 02:11 PM   #26

Mar 2017
Connecticut
Default Samsung 4K UHD Blu-ray players UBD-M8500 and UBD-M9500

Since I have a Samsung tv(KS8000) this would have been a good match for it. However, I just don't see a compelling reason to spend $100 more over the Sony.

Last year, Samsung could get away with charging $400, since they were still the cheapest 4K player. But with the Sony and LG being $300, which is what they are competing against, it will be a hard sell at $400.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-2017, 03:00 PM   #27

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotASpeckOfCereal View Post
Okay, now it seems that it's in stock. I can drive to a Bestbuy a few minutes from the house and pick one up today, according to their web site.

How long do you think we'll have to wait for them to drop in price?
I don't see the k9500 anywhere on Best Buy's website?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_IV View Post
Since I have a Samsung tv(KS8000) this would have been a good match for it. However, I just don't see a compelling reason to spend $100 more over the Sony.

Last year, Samsung could get away with charging $400, since they were still the cheapest 4K player. But with the Sony and LG being $300, which is what they are competing against, it will be a hard sell at $400.

I also agree about the price difference especially since the Sony does Bluetooth and has most of the same "new" features of the new Samsung including hi-res audio. Plus the Sony supports all disc types. Unless of course the Samsung gets rave reviews, upped its build quality, and has benefits to some like true 10 bit output like the K8500. There is always a maybe that it could be worth the extra $100 I suppose. Time will tell.
Sony XBR65X930E/Sony UBP-X800/Denon AVR-x6200w/Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1
Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 65 x3(L/C/R),ProMonitor 1000 x4(Surround),DI5.5R x4(Atmos/DTS X)
SVS PC-2000 x2(Subs)/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/Apple TV 4K/APC H15/Logitech Harmony Elite

Last edited by CBCstillmatic; 04-19-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:40 PM   #28

Nov 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBCstillmatic View Post
It's M, not K:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpa...=960&keys=keys

So, regardless of how you feel about how its priced against other models, does anyone have an idea how long it takes for a price drop after release?

Speck
Old 04-19-2017, 04:04 PM   #29

Mar 2017
Connecticut

Quote:
It's M, not K:

So, regardless of how you feel about how its priced against other models, does anyone have an idea how long it takes for a price drop after release?

Speck
I guess what I was getting at with my prior post was that since it will be a hard sell vs the others, I'd expect, if not a permanent price drop, at least a sale fairly quickly. Maybe a few weeks to a month.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:06 PM   #30

Apr 2017

Quote:

I also agree about the price difference especially since the Sony does Bluetooth and has most of the same "new" features of the new Samsung including hi-res audio. Plus the Sony supports all disc types. Unless of course the Samsung gets rave reviews, upped its build quality, and has benefits to some like true 10 bit output like the K8500. There is always a maybe that it could be worth the extra $100 I suppose. Time will tell.
Nope. According to this video the build quality is pretty much the same.
Thanks given by:
Louis311711 (04-21-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 05:01 PM   #31
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

I'm confused as to why there's a screen-size option, it would make sense a few years back when TVs' didn't have 1:1 displays, but I can't understand what you'd use it for these days. None of the options zoom or are of use if you've got a 21:9 screen or projector.
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time." DM
"How many times do I have to buy this thing?" MH
"Sure. Fine. Whatever." DS
Old 04-19-2017, 05:24 PM   #32

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kNoobie2017 View Post
Nope. According to this video the build quality is pretty much the same. Samsung UBD-M9500 Quick Unboxing, Setup and First Impressions - YouTube
Yep and even at the end says it's not with the price difference. Weird move by Samsung. I mean I had no issues with the k8500 other then they just kept flat out dying out of no where but when they worked pq was great and had no trouble with any discs. I decided to move on after my 4th replacement though I know there are plenty of people still on their original with no problems.

Quote:
It's M, not K:

Speck
Sorry I knew it was M but it doesn't show for me under the uhd players section or when I search but thank you for the link cause that works and is available at most of my local locations too.
Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 65 x3(L/C/R),ProMonitor 1000 x4(Surround),DI5.5R x4(Atmos/DTS X)
SVS PC-2000 x2(Subs)/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/Apple TV 4K/APC H15/Logitech Harmony Elite

Last edited by CBCstillmatic; 04-19-2017 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:39 PM   #33
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

Quote:

I like your reasoning. LG has an added LoGic to their arsenal, in addition to their lower MSRP; Dolby Vision. ...For the video side of the equation.

And Sony: SACD and DVD Audio. ...For the audio side of the equation. ...Also in addition to their lower MSRP, like LG. ...Plus a pretty HDR picture. ...Plus the two free UHD flicks. It all adds up to real value.

Also, both the LG and Sony are straight line designs. ...No curve, no fluff fluff stuff.

We're waiting for their picture and sound delivery...Samsung new 4K BR players.
~ Bob
You may not: Restrict or inhibit any other user from using and enjoying the Web Sites.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:47 PM   #34
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

Quote:

Speck
It depends, on the demand and the competitive sales. Sometimes it can take just a week, or it can take months. There is no absolute, in particular with a relatively new video format.

But my above reply to the other poster is IMO a valid one, very.
~ Bob
You may not: Restrict or inhibit any other user from using and enjoying the Web Sites.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:49 PM   #35

Nov 2016

Just to fill out the views on this model, there are those of us that don't care for SACD or DVD audio and are completely baffled by the opposition to the front end of the units not being straight.

But more than anything, some of us are concerned by all the posts we read on this forum about how "this film was giving me bad results until I had all the settings fine tuned and calibrated", and of course those settings may not be optimal for the next title you throw in.

So the fact that the new player makes automatic HDR adjustments with the newer UHD Samsung screens, so we don't have to dick around with settings to get the as-designed visual quality of the film, this is very attractive. Even $100 more appealing.

There will be those of you (in a forum like this) that will scoff at this, but believe me, 99% of consumers will also be unhappy with a video system that requires that level of configuration kung-fu on a title-by-title basis.

And you should really want to the general public to all get on board with this platform for many self-serving reasons, yes?
Old 04-19-2017, 07:35 PM   #36
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

I think that with time things are going to get less and lesser complicated, with automatic settings between communication from our displays, AV receivers and 4K players. So that automatic HDR setting in the Samsung is a welcome feature.

Also, IMHO, there's nothing baffling in audio/video forums of the internet to have several views from various people's opinions.

I am anxious to learn the new stuff from those two new Sammy players.
I agree with you that the curved design has nothing to do with performance, not on a Blu-ray player. But I'm not so sure geometrically speaking about curved TVs.

It's true that most people don't put any importance about the design look; I am not in that category...looks matters. It's just a preference appearance thing.
Also, size/weight matters to me; another personal preference adding solidity to the player mechanism and helping in anti-vibration attribute.

I agree; the general public wants simplicity in their life. They don't have the time in this fast world to learn all the settings and compared them. People want to plug the thing and bingo...magic performance all across the horizon without lifting a single digit (finger) on the remote to adjust for best picture and sound with our particular display and AV receiver. Things should set themselves automatically; with each 4K Bllu-ray player knowing which display TV (brand/model/technology/serial #/projector) and which brand/model number AV receiver are plugged in. ...Dream on...

No, audio/video forums are better than audio/video mags. There are more visions to have a much open perspective. ...With less restrictions, less limited angle.

Yeah, respect of other's opinion; I agree. We all have that.
~ Bob
Old 04-20-2017, 04:01 AM   #37

Sep 2008

This was just posted in the HDR Discussion thread https://news.samsung.com/us/hdr10-pl...tandard-hdr10/

Made me think this may be another big reason to buy the new M9500 for 2016-17 Samsung TV owners. I would like to think this was planned to support HDR10+ via streaming and could be big if Netflix joins in as well. I am hoping devices like the Roku Ultra can also be updated to support this since I have terrible luck using ARC and get better audio from the external devices vs the TV apps.

Definitely got me even more interested in the M9500 despite the higher price tag if it is confirmed to support HDR10+(be shocked if it didn't).
Old 04-20-2017, 12:34 PM   #38

Mar 2017
Connecticut

Quote:
This was just posted in the HDR Discussion thread https://news.samsung.com/us/hdr10-pl...tandard-hdr10/

Made me think this may be another big reason to buy the new M9500 for 2016-17 Samsung TV owners. I would like to think this was planned to support HDR10+ via streaming and could be big if Netflix joins in as well. I am hoping devices like the Roku Ultra can also be updated to support this since I have terrible luck using ARC and get better audio from the external devices vs the TV apps.

Definitely got me even more interested in the M9500 despite the higher price tag if it is confirmed to support HDR10+(be shocked if it didn't).

All the Samsung TV that will support HDR 10+(2016/2017 models) should already have all these apps built in via their smart TV platform. So having them on the player is just redundent.

Old 04-21-2017, 04:22 PM   #39

Nov 2016

Quote:
All the Samsung TV that will support HDR 10+(2016/2017 models) should already have all these apps built in via their smart TV platform. So having them on the player is just redundent.
Heck, I have all the major apps on all devices, TV, BD player, and the Roku.

When my 2016 TV gets the update, I'll switch to watching Amazon / Netflix to that. But the Roku Ultra has a lot more apps than the TV has, so if it gets the update as well, I'll continue just using it has the base for streaming.

Speck
Old 04-21-2017, 10:49 PM   #40

Sep 2008

OK so I am stuck deciding between a K8500 or the new M9500. I have bad stuttering issues with my X800 and am on my 3rd unit still with the same problem so I believe for whatever reason it just does not wanna play nice with my TV. I have tried..

1. 3 different X800s
2. All new certified mono price hdmi cables(replaced mediabridge ultra cables)
3. Bypassed AVR
4. Redid my power setup and moved things to other outlets(even tried having the player straight to the wall with no surge protector in between).
5. Turned of all motion processing on the TV
6. Tried different HDMI inputs on the TV
7. Different setting on player(deep color off, forcing 4:2:2, quick start off)

I would love to blame this on the TV but have no issues with anything else hooked up to it. Standard Blu disc in X800 stutter, same disc in my other Sony player no stutter. I don't think I can be getting bad player after bad player but know I never seen this with the K8500 which played every disc beautifully but I moved on after 3 flat out bricked and died after a couple of months and I thought the X800 would save me

So now I need to decide if I save $100 and give a fourth K8500 a shot or pay and extra $100 to try the M9500. Panny is too expensive and I have no interest in the LG or Philips. Any opinions on whether the M9500 is worth the extra $200 over the K8500?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology