Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them 4K (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Hacksaw Ridge 4K (Blu-ray)
$10.00
The Mountain Between Us 4K (Blu-ray)
$18.75
Kingsman: The Golden Circle 4K (Blu-ray)
$18.75
Spider-Man: Homecoming 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Prometheus 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Inception 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Earth: One Amazing Day 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Dark Tower 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Dark Crystal 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.46
Wonder 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Old 10-17-2017, 03:45 AM   #81

Jan 2010
Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluRayHiDef View Post
In what way did the 4K discs not look as good?
Bit softer, and the colors looked less intense. Again nothing scientific here just from my experience with it for an evening. And the differences im talkin arent huge or anything. Probably not even very noticable on lower end tv. But it was definitely clear difference on a oled. Other things i noticed was it loaded slower, was much noisier, and then its lack of a real remote bugged me. Just can't really compete with a dedicated player pound for pound.

And yeah, as i mentioned before, the xbox upscaling was absolutely horrific compared to the oppo. Which should be a huge point ,but nobody discusses. I doubt anyones library is even 20% 4k yet(im not event at 10% yet), so by far majority of content one would feed it isnt 4k. It was deciding factor for my friend that when he gets a 4k tv hes going for a standalone player as he is a huge anime collector and all the 1080p stuff just didn't look as good as it did when run a few minutes later on the oppo to compare. Can't stress this point enough, it wasnt a mild difference between the 2, it was HUGE difference.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Family Room: LG 65 C7 OLED | OPPO 203 | DENON X3300W | Klipsch RP 5.2.2 setup | Roku 4k |

Bedroom: Samsung 55D8000 | OPPO 93 | Samsung HW H550 Bar | Roku 2 |
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (10-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 05:24 AM   #82

Jan 2015

So what I understand from all of this is if my main reason for buying an xbox one s is for the 4k blu-ray player, I'm better off just buying a stand alone player.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:53 AM   #83
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2010
Fife? Where the hell is FIFE?!?!?

Yes, buy a stand alone player.
Do you really have something to say or are you just in love with the sound of your keyboard?

Living Room: LG 55LE5500 Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360 w/Kinect
Bedroom: VIZIO E470VL VIZIO VSB200 Sound Bar Sony BDP‑BX510 XBox 360
Inner Sanctum: Samsung 65KS8000, Halo XBox One, GoW Xbox 360, Onkyo HT-S5300
Old 11-17-2017, 03:52 PM   #84

May 2014

Xbox gets updated frequently so any problems with the blu ray playback, provided it's software related rather than hardware, should get patched eventually. I read on Forbes that Xb1X's blu ray drive got an update that improved it recently and you should expect both of them to continue being updated until playback is as good as the drives will allow.

Last edited by Wickerman1972; 11-17-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:18 PM   #85

May 2010

I have the One S, I bought it mainly as player because of the price. The gaming part is a secondary feature for me, although I'm afraid it's getting promoted to a primary feature .

My 4K TV (LG OLED55B7P) is yet to arrive, but so far from what I could evaluate from my old Samsung 46ES6500 is:

-Below average at upscaling DVDs (it doesn't handle edges very well). Not up to par to my good 11 years old Oppo DV-981HD.
-Above average as a Blu-ray player (it passed almost all the important tests from the Spears & Munsil Vol.2 Calibration Disc), up to par, or better in some cases, than my Pioneer BDP-450.

Now, as a 4K player, like said, I'm watching it on a 1080p 5 and 1/2 years old display. Needles to say, no HDR either. BUT, the movies I watched on it STILL looked better than their counterpart Blu-rays. They are: Blade Runner Final Cut, E.T., Planet Earth 2, Texas Chainsaw Massacre (german import, BT.709 and SDR, but still looked better than the british release by Second Sight, the best of all releases until now) and Bridge on the River Kwai. Westworld Season 1 is the one that looked exactly the same, only to learn latter that it's upscaled 4K. But still I thought the HEVC and it's higher bitrare would benefit, but it didn't.

No hiccups, no judder, no stuttering. Again, once my new TV arrives, I hope I don't have to re-write my opinions.

Last edited by phbart; 11-30-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:11 PM   #86

Dec 2016

I briefly had an Xbox One S and the main problem I had was an issue where the movie and audio would go out of sync for 5-10 seconds before correcting itself. It would happen once or twice every time I watched a movie. I had to send it in for repairs. The repair fixed the issue but it made me uncomfortable about using my game systems as my main movie player, as well.

If you're just looking for a movie player, I would avoid the Slim Bone since there seem to be better options in that price range. But I think it's fine as a system that will occasionally be used for movies.
TV: LG OLED65B6P
Audio: Sony HT-ST5000 Soundbar
Player: Oppo UDP-203
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology