Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Americans: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning / The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Charade (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 02-27-2014, 10:15 PM   #81

Feb 2014

Looking forward to seeing this. Enjoyed the 1st one but missed pt.2 in theaters. Picked it up at best buy.

Really hoping for some deals on the other Marvel 3D stuff. They NEVER seem to drop in price.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:54 PM   #82
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2007
Haddonfield, IL

I thought the 3D was too dark as well. I will not be viewing the 3D version anymore. Next time around it will be the 2D version that I pull from my steelbook.
100th Blu-ray: Predator UHE
200th Blu-ray: Chronicle
300th Blu-ray: Friday the 13th Collection

New home theater gallery updated Nov 2013

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gal...ember=leem6453
Old 02-28-2014, 03:00 AM   #83
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2009

expected the worst but I was pleasantly surprised with the 3d. no where near as bad as peeps are saying. I found it solid and consistent. sure it could have better but I much enjoyed it.
most wanted blus: the Legend of 1900, Brotherhood of the Wolf, Sheena Queen of the Jungle, Farinelli, Joe Dirt, the Conformist, the Last Castle, Charlies Angels: Full Throttle most wanted rereleases: Interview w/the Vampire Unrated Director's Cut w/lossless audio. Vizio 42" LCD passive 3D, Panasonic bdt310, PS3 slim 60 gb, Denon AVR 590, Polk Audio rm6750, Sennhieser hd 280 pro.

Last edited by poke smot; 02-28-2014 at 05:31 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:11 AM   #84

Dec 2011

I thought both the Thor movies had good 3D, especially The Dark World. And definitely better than Iron Man 3 3D - was very disappointed with that one.

Movie was also good in the second watching... I remember leaving the theater not satisfied but not anymore. Have to watch a movie twice (not in the same day) for me to express my opinion.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:12 AM   #85
Expert Member

Nov 2008

Watched this tonight and thought the 3D was pretty poor.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:21 AM   #86

Jan 2013
North Carolina

I couldn't believe that THOR2 would be as hard to get as it was.. Everyone SOLD OUT of the 2 and 3d till I found it at SAM'S CLUB and had to pay 28 for it. WOW!! I got it and found even the beginning of it very well done, Just seems like a lot of 3d movies are done in the dark for some reason and that isn't helpful at all. Other than that I liked it a lot.
LG 55LW5600
Onkyo TX-NR818
Sony BDP-S570 Blu-Ray, Toshiba HD-D3KU HD-DVD
Bowers & Wilkins 683B s1
Bowers & Wilkins HTM61 s1
Polk F/XiA4 (Surrounds)
Paradigm Titan v3 (Back Surrounds)
Klipsch Sub 12
Old 03-02-2014, 05:17 AM   #87

Jan 2013
Thumbs up

Count me in as another who was pleasantly surprised by the 3D in this one, especially after the review here and several less-than-glowing comments. I thought it was on par with Man of Steel & Wolverine (though none of the 3 are among my favorite 3D experiences, converted or native). Darkness didn't seem like such an issue for me, and it didn't affect my 3D enjoyment.

My question is: was it just me, or did they go cheap and not bother converting the two scenes in and after the credits at all?! Those two scenes were completely flat on my display. Was it the same way in the theater?

Fun movie, anyway... and like I said, I enjoyed the 3D version, so I'm glad I picked it up.
Panasonic P60ST30
Monster 3D glasses
PS3
Old 03-02-2014, 07:44 AM   #88

Nov 2011
Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by leem6453 View Post
I thought the 3D was too dark as well. I will not be viewing the 3D version anymore. Next time around it will be the 2D version that I pull from my steelbook.
Yeah it was too dark to really appreciate it. Not quite as bad as Iron Man 3, but not much better really. I thought Wolverine and Man of Steel were both better suited to their respective conversions
Old 03-02-2014, 08:34 PM   #89
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA
Thumbs up

THOR : Dark World 3D:
3D at home for Thor The Dark World is a very nice, consistent Medium 3D with the layering. Hardly any pop out if you're looking for it, other than two memorable "right at you" objects flying out. This does look a bit better on my Vizio and Sony Bravia 3D screens than it did in the Cinemark Theaters.

The 3D is actually pretty good medium and consistent 3D, with a few mild shots once in a long while. Nice conversion here on par with Captain America 3D, and I'll say Thor 1 3D, which if you look close enough, has about the same layering of 3D as seen here in many shots, though this is a cleaner conversion with less warping errors if they're even noticed in this one.

Too Dark?
A few comments about Thor The Dark World being too dark to appreciate the 3D. I haven't noticed that with this film, but have the backlighting up all the way for a bright screen, and some great contrast of colors, with rich dark ranges.

All of the Steel Books at Best Buy were sold out.
Off topic, but Best Buy has a lot of 3D movies all selling for 34.99, including Avatar 3D, which original was released for 19.99 and stayed that price for nearly a year. Best Buy is not going to make many in store sales charging so much for movies that have been out for a good while.

Favorite scene: (slight spoiler)
The action scenes right after that Monster breaks out of the Prison and the fight begins, with the cutting ships striking the main base to find Jane Foster.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:02 AM   #90
Expert Member

Apr 2012

I watched this again last night and loved it, as a movie and for the 3D.

I think its more enjoyable than the first as it feels like the "bigger" movie.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:00 AM   #91
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA
Talking

Glad you liked it Sookymonster.
The 2nd watch at home improved in the enjoyment of Thor The Dark World and the 3D, both of which I liked the first round, but even better on the 3DTVs.

They were clearly going for more humor here.

The funniest scene in the movie for me was with Stan Lee.

The Scientist, standing in front of a blackboard filled with theories, was giving a speech to an unseen audience,
[Show spoiler]using two different shoes as an analogy to the portals of the galaxies merging, and then he asks at the end, "Any questions?" After a brief pause, it's revealed he's speaking inside a Mental Institution and Stan Lee, playing chess, turns and says, "Yeah, can I have my shoe back?"

Hilarious IMO.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:06 AM   #92
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyread View Post
Count me in as another who was pleasantly surprised by the 3D in this one, especially after the review here and several less-than-glowing comments. I thought it was on par with Man of Steel & Wolverine (though none of the 3 are among my favorite 3D experiences, converted or native). Darkness didn't seem like such an issue for me, and it didn't affect my 3D enjoyment.

My question is: was it just me, or did they go cheap and not bother converting the two scenes in and after the credits at all?! Those two scenes were completely flat on my display. Was it the same way in the theater?

Fun movie, anyway... and like I said, I enjoyed the 3D version, so I'm glad I picked it up.
Good question. It was like that in theaters too.
I assume Stereo D, who did this respectable conversion, wasn't paid to convert more than the original film they were sent, and possibly those two last shots were filmed after the conversion was nearly complete and the deadline already hit for getting it printed and out to theaters.

2D added scenes are rarely ever converted for the sake of home video sadly, as that would be a possibly considerable extra cost.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies