COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
All That Heaven Allows (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Love Streams (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Operation Petticoat (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad / Fun and Fancy Free (Blu-ray)
$25.89
The East (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Shame (Blu-ray)
$7.99
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Three Colors Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Ghostbusters Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$89.96
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Rick Steves: Italy's Countryside 2000-2014 (Blu-ray)
$12.49
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$74.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$18.96
Elvis: That's the Way It Is (Blu-ray)
$19.59
The Qatsi Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 08-12-2014, 10:58 AM   #13961
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
Edge of the Accretion Disc

Thanks for that, BG. Pretty amazing, for sure. And that's one of my favourite moments in that film.

Hard to be sure, since you didn't show any dialogue moments, but I imagine that would be a very different sound balance. I guess such events are mostly about appreciating the score?

(Just quietly, I think I'd go a little stir-crazy trying to watch the screen from such an angle, underneath and to the side, but maybe that's me. I'm always a bit bewildered when, even in a relatively empty screening, people choose to sit right over near the side wall.)
Old 08-12-2014, 11:27 AM   #13962
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
Edge of the Accretion Disc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter View Post
It's there, but very subtle.

It looks terrible on the screencaps on my non calibrated monitor, but in motion on my calibrated set-ups, it looks fine.

If your cyan is over saturated, it's going to be worse.
Obviously, if the colour balance is off on your screen, then *any* film is going to look off in one way or another.

The "calibrated monitor" bit is a total furphy it's not about calibration. Between the first and second films, if one film looks just right under a certain calibration, the other one is going to look "off" in some way unless you change the settings for the colour balance between the two films, which blows the calibration theory completely out the window.

And surely anyone who plays the first two films back to back must notice the dramatic difference in colour balance in the same shots of Gandalf's battle with the Balrog in the two films? The difference is unmistakable.

The reason it looks fine in motion for most people but not in the caps is because in motion it's removed from any colour reference, and our eyes adjust. Most people don't have absolute colour in their visual perception, the way most people don't have absolute pitch in their hearing. But saying that the colour shift is not there, or not perceptible, or only very slight, as absolute statements is like people saying the pitch shift in PAL-coded DVDs is not there because they personally can't hear the diference.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:36 PM   #13963
Power Member

Mar 2012
Columbia, MO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
Thanks for that, BG. Pretty amazing, for sure. And that's one of my favourite moments in that film.

Hard to be sure, since you didn't show any dialogue moments, but I imagine that would be a very different sound balance. I guess such events are mostly about appreciating the score?

(Just quietly, I think I'd go a little stir-crazy trying to watch the screen from such an angle, underneath and to the side, but maybe that's me. I'm always a bit bewildered when, even in a relatively empty screening, people choose to sit right over near the side wall.)
The music definitely drowned out the dialogue in several cases, but I didn't really mind. But the vocals from the music were fully audible..they had the whole choir for the chanting or Sindarin portions, a young woman for parts such as the end credits song "Into The West" and the accompanying music when Arwen was on screen, and then a boy in 8th grade for the parts such as the scene where Gandalf first sees the Eagles at the Black Gate. I personally thought of the film as really just a complement to the orchestra and I probably spent just as much time watching the musicians as I did the film.

And yeah the center seats at Ravinia are reserved for donors, so I couldn't get one of those unless I wanted to be way towards the back of the pavilion, or pay about $500 for tickets. And honestly I've got my phone camera angled at such a way that I could capture as much as I could; I really wasn't too uncomfortable at all with where we were since they were aisle seats closer to left center than far left.
"Oh, and on the off chance there are any astronomy aficionados amongst you, the North Star is that one. Tata." - Dr. King Schultz

Last edited by BaerGriggs; 08-12-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:07 AM   #13964

Jan 2008
Bay Area

I'm hoping someone can answer this, are the individual extended releases the same as the extended edition box set?
# of Blus: Recounting
Total costs: Recalculating
Average per Blu: Recalculating
Last Purchase(s): 28 Weeks Later
Last Watched: Mr. & Mrs. Smith
Old 08-19-2014, 07:25 AM   #13965

Sep 2009
Central Coast, NSW, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcktlnt View Post
I'm hoping someone can answer this, are the individual extended releases the same as the extended edition box set?
Yes, the 5 discs are included in each set and have identical content.
LATEST FOR SALE ITEMS:
Epic (US BD/DVD/UV) $10. New/sealed. Price includes shipping anywhere in Australia!

--| Sale/Trade thread - Steels & regular Blus! ...big update June 8! |--
Thanks given by:
pcktlnt (08-19-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 04:59 PM   #13966

Jan 2008
Bay Area

Sweet. Thanks!
# of Blus: Recounting
Total costs: Recalculating
Average per Blu: Recalculating
Last Purchase(s): 28 Weeks Later
Last Watched: Mr. & Mrs. Smith
Old 08-19-2014, 06:02 PM   #13967
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
Obviously, if the colour balance is off on your screen, then *any* film is going to look off in one way or another.

The "calibrated monitor" bit is a total furphy — it's not about calibration. Between the first and second films, if one film looks just right under a certain calibration, the other one is going to look "off" in some way — unless you change the settings for the colour balance between the two films, which blows the calibration theory completely out the window.

And surely anyone who plays the first two films back to back must notice the dramatic difference in colour balance in the same shots of Gandalf's battle with the Balrog in the two films? The difference is unmistakable.

The reason it looks fine in motion for most people but not in the caps is because in motion it's removed from any colour reference, and our eyes adjust. Most people don't have absolute colour in their visual perception, the way most people don't have absolute pitch in their hearing. But saying that the colour shift is not there, or not perceptible, or only very slight, as absolute statements is like people saying the pitch shift in PAL-coded DVDs is not there because they personally can't hear the diference.
How can you say it's not about calibration when Blu-rays are calibrated to rec 709? It's science here (and math from a calibrator's point of view). If your green primary and/or cyan secondary is off target (especially over-saturated), that is going to greatly accentuate the matter and cause issues with Fellowship. Yes, there is a very subtle "tint" to Fellowship but it's not an issue. It's been incredibly blown. I've watched this on four properly calibrated displays (three different displays technologies) with delta errors under 2 for greyscale and color and the movie looked good. No, it looked excellent. People who are watching this on a proper set-up are generally not complaining about the color. Most people are watching with inaccurate colors to begin with and green is often pushed in default modes anyway and normal drift alone in the greyscale causes this too. Fellowship can and will look worse on such displays compared to other movies because, yes, there is a subtle tint. But when up a display is up to spec, few will complain about it.

All three movies have their own 'look' anyway though - this was intended. This was the case with the theatrical versions too. The theatrical version of Fellowship does not look like Two Towers or Return of the King. And the extended version of Fellowship looks far more film-like and detailed - with better color - than the theatrical. Some of the tones and shades look gorgeous in the movie. There's maybe 5 minutes or less of content where the subtle hints of green tint are even noticeable if you try and look for it. Classic case of mob mentality screenshot craziness went on with this movie. lol
JVC DLA-RS4810 front projector (ISF pro-cal'd)
Stewart StudioTek 100, CinemaScope 108" wide screen
Samsung 51" F5300 plasma (ISF pro-cal'd)
Oppo BDP-983 & BDP-103D Blu-ray player
Denon AVR-X3000 (Audyssey pro-cal'd)
Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 1000 (fronts)
Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 800 (surrounds x 4)
HSU VTF-15H sub

Last edited by HeavyHitter; 08-19-2014 at 06:15 PM.
Thanks given by:
2awesome4apossum (08-19-2014)
Old 08-20-2014, 08:20 PM   #13968
Power Member

Mar 2012
Columbia, MO

This post was just made on the Facebook page of Lord of the Rings in Concert:

To me this can only mean that a significantly wider release of these concerts will go on tour in 2015! I saw The Two Towers and Return of the King in the last two summers at Ravinia in Chicago, and it was far and way the best concert experience I've ever been to. For those of you that don't know, they play the films on a projector screen, and have a local symphony (Chicago Symphony Orchestra for me) play nearly all of the music from the films along with it.

I've made a separate thread in the music subforum and will update it with any information I find!
"Oh, and on the off chance there are any astronomy aficionados amongst you, the North Star is that one. Tata." - Dr. King Schultz
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America