Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Insurgent 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.98
Strike Back: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$22.98
How to Train Your Dragon (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Insurgent (Blu-ray)
$17.97
Adult Beginners (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Home 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$14.88
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Mad Max: Fury Road 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Dead Lands (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight (Blu-ray)
$22.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 07-03-2015, 01:16 AM   #3061
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2012
WI, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleHBK View Post
Exactly. Truth be told, even as a young kid I always wished they would have played up that angle more. They touch on it with Nancy in the original, but didn't go far enough... as the sequels progressed I would have much rather watched him get darker and more aggressive in this regard than the slapstick goofball direction they chose to go instead.
My issue with it in the remake is in the remake it keeps reminding you he molested KIDS, like prepubescent kids, and when the heroine is sexually threatened it dresses her up as a 5 year old. I think the scary sexual element that's there in the first two original movies is effective and not in a way that bothers me because it is all directed at the "teenage" (mostly played by 20 somethings) characters. Playing with teenage sexuality and scariness associated with it is fine, small child molestation is where I draw a line. :P

It's also like, with the originals and with the sexual threat directed at teenagers, it's an attempt to scare the audience cause its their surrogates who are being threatened. With the remake, it's like, "this guy is SO SICK he DID THIS!!!!!" as opposed to it being something he'd do to the target audience??? It's hard to articulate this, I've never tried before and I haven't seen the remake in a while (and never will again, most likely).

I actually LIKE the second movie! Even though it loses it when he shows at the pool party. :P
Old 07-03-2015, 01:25 AM   #3062
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2012
Returning Some Tapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefactory View Post
My issue with it in the remake is in the remake it keeps reminding you he molested KIDS, like prepubescent kids, and when the heroine is sexually threatened it dresses her up as a 5 year old. I think the scary sexual element that's there in the first two original movies is effective and not in a way that bothers me because it is all directed at the "teenage" (mostly played by 20 somethings) characters. Playing with teenage sexuality and scariness associated with it is fine, small child molestation is where I draw a line. :P

I actually LIKE the second movie! Even though it loses it when he shows at the pool party. :P
I'd mostly agree with this limitation on the character as well. I think had they played up that he was going for teenage victims, but hinted at the idea that he may have gone younger only to have been caught and then burned alive by the townsfolk for this very reason would have worked. There is very little reason for someone to be a child killer, however Child Molestation is a very real and scary idea and fits better with the Freddy character than just a generic dream killer aspect. It's not like Rape and this kind of content is uncommon in horror or even Wes Cravens own film history (Hills have Eyes, Last House on the left). In those cases it was often presented just for the sake of having it. With Freddy however, it was a part of his very being. He liked to torture, and cause suffering on his victims. Whether that's physical pain or mental anguish Freddy being sexually exploitative even slightly more in the films would go a long way to make him that much more dangerous and reprehensible.
Wanted To Buy:
-Sword in the Stone Slip Cover ($7 Shipped)
-Robin Hood (Disney) (Slip Cover) ($7 Shipped)
(Will Pay $15 Shipped if One Person can send Both Slip Covers)

My 2015 Watched Movies Thread
Thanks given by:
cakefactory (07-03-2015)
Old 07-03-2015, 02:07 AM   #3063
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2014
Houston, TX

Freddy was meant to be a child molester /child murderer in Craven's original Nightmare script but because of all of the child molestation cases going on in California at the time, it was toned down to almost non existence. The only reference is when Nancy's mom refered to him as being a "filthy" child murderer that murdered at least 20 kids in the neighborhood. I wonder if they would have gotten more explicit with that part of Krueger's persona if those cases hadn't been going on at that time, and worked it into the films somehow? Especially Nightmare 1.
Old 07-03-2015, 02:41 AM   #3064
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2012
WI, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan34 View Post
Freddy was meant to be a child molester /child murderer in Craven's original Nightmare script but because of all of the child molestation cases going on in California at the time, it was toned down to almost non existence. The only reference is when Nancy's mom refered to him as being a "filthy" child murderer that murdered at least 20 kids in the neighborhood. I wonder if they would have gotten more explicit with that part of Krueger's persona if those cases hadn't been going on at that time, and worked it into the films somehow? Especially Nightmare 1.
It's probably a case like "Jaws" where outside pressures forced them to restrain their initial gonzo impulses and likely resulted in a much better movie. :P We'll never know now, though. I would guess in this case it would have flopped and been hated (or been at best a cult sleaze sensation like Last House on the Left) and we'd never have seen any of the sequels, but it's kind of fun to speculate.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America