Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
This Is 40 (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
How to Train Your Dragon (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Home 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Mad Max: Fury Road 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$14.93
Mulholland Drive (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Lost in Space (Blu-ray)
$129.99
The Water Diviner (Blu-ray)
$19.96
End of Watch (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$44.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 02-27-2015, 07:07 PM   #61

May 2013

Bunch of native aspect ratio elitists in this thread. jk

tbh I do zoom on 3D blu rays to fill the screen. I realize it is cropping the video, but it doesn't seem to be by a significant amount. I find it makes a big difference in the immersion factor if I zoom in. I can adjust how the zoom is positioned on my tv, also.

On a normal blu ray I'd always watch it native, but weighing a cropped pic/the increase of immersion, I'd rather have the screen full. As well, I only have a 50" TV sitting about 5ft away. I'm not left with much filled screen if there are bars.

Is there any other reason specific to 3D movies that would be a reason to avoid zooming, or is it just the cropped pic?

thanks
Old 02-28-2015, 04:04 AM   #62
Special Member

Apr 2012

I just dont get why people would choose to have less picture by cropping it to fill the screen.

They also do it lots on cable and it annoys the hell out of me.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:46 AM   #63

Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by wake_me View Post
Is there any other reason specific to 3D movies that would be a reason to avoid zooming, or is it just the cropped pic?
A cropped 3D picture will also be prone to edge violations.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:06 AM   #64

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJayJay View Post
thanks..yeah, certainly seems that way. This only makes the screen smaller and it's really cheating the customer because we pay for the size of the TV and then they take it back.
No, there is no cheating of the customer in this situation. You won't find many supporters of your stance here. Most of us enthusiasts do not want films shot in 2:35 ratio to be chopped to "fill our screens"
Old 03-01-2015, 05:13 AM   #65
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2008
The Grid

This thread, I don't even...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eapleitez View Post
No, there is no cheating of the customer in this situation. You won't find many supporters of your stance here. Most of us enthusiasts do not want films shot in 2:35 ratio to be chopped to "fill our screens"
This.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:45 AM   #66
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
The £كا

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntory_Times View Post
This thread, I don't even...
This.
Agreed.

I have blackout shades and curtains that make my HT as dark as night any time of day. (Alaska-style)
This combined with a properly calibrated set with optimum black levels and I've never even noticed black bars.

Always OAR or bust!
Old 03-01-2015, 06:12 AM   #67
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2008
The Grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray O. Blu View Post
Agreed.

I have blackout shades and curtains that make my HT as dark as night any time of day. (Alaska-style)
This combined with a properly calibrated set with optimum black levels and I've never even noticed black bars.

Always OAR or bust!
With most displays I notice the black bars, that is why (well one of the reasons) I bought a display with reference black levels and am beyond excited for the possible future of oled. With that said with a good film I will typically not notice the black bars if the film is good even on less then stellar displays.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:16 AM   #68

Nov 2011
Oklahoma

I hated the black bars on my 55" LED and how small it made the 3D picture (and less immersive) so I got a projector and a 100" screen. Then I hated how it took off screen real estate on that too eventually, so recently I upgraded to a 120" screen. I'm FINALLY at the point where it doesn't bother me at all

I did zoom with the 55" tv because it made a huge difference at that size. With the 100" screen I never zoomed but it still bothered me. I guarantee that those who say they LOVE scope movies and are pooing everyone else - aren't watching on anything less than a HUGE tv or projector screen. Or else they don't mind the black bars because they are obsessed with admiring how deep their plasma blacks are

To those who hate it, I understand your point of view. And to those who love scope movies and want to preserve the artistic integrity, I understand your point of view as well. But I think the biggest factor in the end is what kind of setup you have for 3D and how big your screen is
Old 03-02-2015, 04:38 AM   #69
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2008
The Grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post
I hated the black bars on my 55" LED and how small it made the 3D picture (and less immersive) so I got a projector and a 100" screen. Then I hated how it took off screen real estate on that too eventually, so recently I upgraded to a 120" screen. I'm FINALLY at the point where it doesn't bother me at all

I did zoom with the 55" tv because it made a huge difference at that size. With the 100" screen I never zoomed but it still bothered me. I guarantee that those who say they LOVE scope movies and are pooing everyone else - aren't watching on anything less than a HUGE tv or projector screen. Or else they don't mind the black bars because they are obsessed with admiring how deep their plasma blacks are

To those who hate it, I understand your point of view. And to those who love scope movies and want to preserve the artistic integrity, I understand your point of view as well. But I think the biggest factor in the end is what kind of setup you have for 3D and how big your screen is
When I had my 42" I liked the black bars, and even smaller. I want the image as close to as intended as the format can deliver.
Thanks given by:
sookymonster (03-02-2015)
Old 03-02-2015, 05:08 AM   #70

Dec 2010

Quote:
When I had my 42" I liked the black bars, and even smaller. I want the image as close to as intended as the format can deliver.
Yeah, it's not a matter of screen size at all. Even in the VHS days, I would watch movies letterboxed on a 29" CRT. And I was really pissed when cassettes were only available cropped.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:29 AM   #71
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2008
The Grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Yeah, it's not a matter of screen size at all. Even in the VHS days, I would watch movies letterboxed on a 29" CRT. And I was really pissed when cassettes were only available cropped.

I remember those CRT days as well. I was a little less picky then as I didn't really view vhs as a 'real' way of seeing films.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:36 AM   #72

Nov 2011
Oklahoma

Quote:
With most displays I notice the black bars, that is why (well one of the reasons) I bought a display with reference black levels and am beyond excited for the possible future of oled. With that said with a good film I will typically not notice the black bars if the film is good even on less then stellar displays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Yeah, it's not a matter of screen size at all. Even in the VHS days, I would watch movies letterboxed on a 29" CRT
Yes, but we're talking about 3D !!! and letterboxed movies aren't we? Not VHS and 2D movies? Because if we're talking regular 2D movies I totally agree with you

But if we're talking the immersiveness factor and 3D I still partly agree but only to the extent of your display size and relative seating position. If one was for example watching on a 29" or 42" tv and seating in their living room is more than 10' back I wouldn't blame them at all for zooming on a 3D movie
Old 03-03-2015, 07:37 AM   #73
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2008
The Grid

Quote:
Yes, but we're talking about 3D !!! and letterboxed movies aren't we? Not VHS and 2D movies? Because if we're talking regular 2D movies I totally agree with you

But if we're talking the immersiveness factor and 3D I still partly agree but only to the extent of your display size and relative seating position. If one was for example watching on a 29" or 42" tv and seating in their living room is more than 10' back I wouldn't blame them at all for zooming on a 3D movie
I don't blame them, I just don't want it as part of a format. If someone wants to watch their film in vivid mode, or turn their saturation to zero so the image is black and white I don't really care (I also won't consider their opinion on a film though, and yes I am a bit of a snob in this area). As long as what is delivered is as close as intended before they make those changes.

To me it doesn't matter if it is 2d or 3d. I want OAR.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:24 AM   #74

May 2013

Quote:

This is exactly my position. I've always been one to use original aspect, but I recently noticed that it does make a considerable difference in immersion on my 50" tv if I zoom in. I don't do it with all black bars, just ones that take up like 2/3 of the viewing screen. When I eventually get a larger tv or a projector I doubt I will zoom.

I understand people who are against zooming and losing part of the picture, and I always bought widescreen for DVD. However, the way I see it everyone wins. If you want to zoom or watch original aspect ratio you have the ability to.

Last edited by wake_me; 03-03-2015 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:26 AM   #75

May 2013

Quote:
I don't blame them, I just don't want it as part of a format. If someone wants to watch their film in vivid mode, or turn their saturation to zero so the image is black and white I don't really care (I also won't consider their opinion on a film though, and yes I am a bit of a snob in this area). As long as what is delivered is as close as intended before they make those changes.

To me it doesn't matter if it is 2d or 3d. I want OAR.
LOL You really would disregard someone's opinion on the quality of the movie's story etc. if they view movies in anything than original aspect ratio? That seems a bit excessive. No offensive intended.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:13 AM   #76
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2008
The Grid

Quote:
LOL You really would disregard someone's opinion on the quality of the movie's story etc. if they view movies in anything than original aspect ratio? That seems a bit excessive. No offensive intended.
Possibly, key information can be framed out and thus leave people confused (ye old pan and scan vhs did this often). If someone is going to talk about a film I want to know how the visuals work as they are incredibly important to every film, if one is watching it in vivid mode with motion interpolation, the film cropped etc, they can't really give me useful information in this area which has flow on effects to other areas of the film.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:21 AM   #77

May 2013

Quote:
Possibly, key information can be framed out and thus leave people confused (ye old pan and scan vhs did this often). If someone is going to talk about a film I want to know how the visuals work as they are incredibly important to every film, if one is watching it in vivid mode with motion interpolation, the film cropped etc, they can't really give me useful information in this area which has flow on effects to other areas of the film.
Fair enough. I suppose it depends what aspect of the movie is being discussed. If it something like plot/acting etc, I wouldn't think it would really matter if zoomed/pan and scan. I do understand preferring to know people's opinions on other matters who are viewing it in the same manner as yourself, though.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:57 PM   #78
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
The £كا
Default To zoom or not to zoom; That is the question!

You know, another aspect of zooming that hasn't been touched upon is subtitles.
My wife is hearing impaired (I know, "Aren't all women?") and we use subs for every movie.
By zooming, sometimes some of the subs are lost in the zoomed portion of the picture.

As far as the discussion goes, I think it's great that we all usually have the option to zoom or not to zoom.
Then we're all happy customers!
Old 03-03-2015, 02:14 PM   #79

May 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray O. Blu View Post
You know, another aspect of zooming that hasn't been touched upon is subtitles.
My wife is hearing impaired (I know, "Aren't all women?") and we use subs for every movie.
By zooming, sometimes some of the subs are lost in the zoomed portion of the picture.
Did you happen to catch that Power Rangers short film that has been making the rounds on social media? They had a unique, almost comic-book style that I think would work well in 3D movies.

You can see it at about 4 minutes, 20 seconds in this video

Old 03-03-2015, 02:39 PM   #80
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
The £كا

Quote:
Did you happen to catch that Power Rangers short film that has been making the rounds on social media? They had a unique, almost comic-book style that I think would work well in 3D movies.

You can see it at about 4 minutes, 20 seconds in this video

POWER/RANGERS: UNAUTHORIZED & HARDCORE [BOOTLEG UNIVERSE] - YouTube
No, I didn't see that. Blu-ray.com is my only form of social media.

That was a cool fight scene. Probably better than every Power Rangers episode combined. I think it could work well as a 3D R-rated movie. The active subs are fun to watch also.
I like when they make subtitles interesting like that. The best subtitles I've ever seen were on the DVD of Night Watch. Unfortunately, the Blu-ray didn't have the same subs.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies